HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bo Horvat - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2013, 12:57 PM
Nuckles
Bim Jenning

vCash: 50
Bo Horvat - Part II

Last thread: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1496511

Continue

Fire Benning. Fire Linden. Fire Desjardins. Hire competent people.
Old
12-29-2013, 04:12 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster
Anyways, mike fisher and Dave Legwand are probably the fair expectations, but neither of those players seemed to have the intangibles/winner connotation attached to them like Horvat does.
i dont think thats a particularly useful distinction to attach to someone

Quote:
We know he plays better in bigger games
is that a thing we know? how do we know that? anticipating what you're going to use to justify it, how do you know its not just an issue with sample size

Old
12-29-2013, 11:11 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
Not particularly useful but I think Ryan O'Reilly is probably his best comparison.

Old
12-30-2013, 05:24 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

vCash: 500
Was Horvat okay after blocking that shot against the Czechs?

Old
12-30-2013, 10:33 AM
Proto

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post

is that a thing we know? how do we know that? anticipating what you're going to use to justify it, how do you know its not just an issue with sample size
Honestly, players like this are pretty hard to project, because most of it comes down to whether they have "it" around the net. Some guys just have that skillset to be 13-15% type shooters because of where they get to on the ice and their hands. Some guys are 10-11% shooters.

If Horvat is the former, he's probably a more proficient 5v4 player and likely has a higher offensive ceiling, but I don't know how comfortable people could be making an assertion one way or another at this point.

In addition, when you see the one-time pass he made into the slot over the weekend at the WJC, you see a player that might have the playmaking ability/vision to be a step above typical 2nd line players. But who knows, really. I get the optimism.

The best reason to be optimistic is that he has the type of skillset that projects to develop in the NHL, because he can be a third/fourth liner as he learns his craft. That could mean we see him sooner than later regardless of his ceiling.

Old
12-30-2013, 02:02 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

We made a mistake drafting him over nish, but who cares, he will be a solid 2nd/3rd line center for this team.

Old
12-30-2013, 02:10 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Honestly, players like this are pretty hard to project, because most of it comes down to whether they have "it" around the net. Some guys just have that skillset to be 13-15% type shooters because of where they get to on the ice and their hands. Some guys are 10-11% shooters.

If Horvat is the former, he's probably a more proficient 5v4 player and likely has a higher offensive ceiling, but I don't know how comfortable people could be making an assertion one way or another at this point.

In addition, when you see the one-time pass he made into the slot over the weekend at the WJC, you see a player that might have the playmaking ability/vision to be a step above typical 2nd line players. But who knows, really. I get the optimism.

The best reason to be optimistic is that he has the type of skillset that projects to develop in the NHL, because he can be a third/fourth liner as he learns his craft. That could mean we see him sooner than later regardless of his ceiling.
Everyone should read this.

Old
12-30-2013, 02:21 PM
Illmatic Stoic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
We made a mistake drafting him over nish, but who cares, he will be a solid 2nd/3rd line center for this team.
overreaction from one WJC?

Old
12-30-2013, 03:11 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckee View Post
It's not just the WJC, It's the size and potential that nish has that horvat does not.

The guy is huge, he skates incredibly well for a big guy, seems to have good hockey IQ. He reminds me of rick nash

The only problem with nish is that he is Russian and might be an ego during contract talk times.

Old
12-30-2013, 03:17 PM
John Bender*

Quote:
Really? There is complete conclusive evidence that Nishushkin will be a better pro than Horvat?

What a bizarre proclamation.

Old
12-30-2013, 03:19 PM
John Bender*

Quote:
It's not just the WJC, It's the size and potential that nish has that horvat does not.

The guy is huge, he skates incredibly well for a big guy, seems to have good hockey IQ. He reminds me of rick nash

The only problem with nish is that he is Russian and might be an ego during contract talk times.
You just described Fedor Fedorov. He had size, and potential.

Old
12-30-2013, 03:20 PM
Linden
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckee View Post
yes

Old
12-30-2013, 03:22 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Nish top end potential = Rick Nash, Burns
Horvat top end potential = Andrew ladd?, Bergeron?

Old
12-30-2013, 03:24 PM
Ernie

There should be a moratorium on Nichushkin talk on HF Canucks, particularly if connected to Horvat.

Old
12-30-2013, 03:25 PM
fancouver

Quote:
Nish top end potential = Rick Nash, Burns
Horvat top end potential = Andrew ladd?, Bergeron?
Funny thing is, Andrew Ladd and Bergeron both have cup rings. And both played a role in helping the team with a cup.

Old
12-30-2013, 03:26 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot20 View Post
Funny thing is, Andrew Ladd and Bergeron both have cup rings. And both played a role in helping the team with a cup.
Bergeron is also the best player amongst them.

Old
12-30-2013, 03:28 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
There should be a moratorium on Nichushkin talk on HF Canucks, particularly if connected to Horvat.
There is. Which brings me to: If you want to discuss Nichushkin, find a thread labeled with his name or use the general purpose 'Around the League' thread. This isn't it. This thread is for discussing Bo Horvat. There have been like a million warnings by now.

(This thread also isn't for discussing Bergeron, Rick Nash, etc.)

Old
12-30-2013, 04:19 PM
sdbullet

Send a message via AIM to sdbullet
The only players on the team Canada that have played better to this point are Sam Reinhart and Curtis Lazar.

Horvat is an extremely smart player with great hockey sense, he may not become a top scorer immediately but I feel we have a Jonathon Toews lite type of player. If Toews is an 80 pt player, Horvat will consistently be a 60-70 pt player and also an extremely valuable piece in the playoffs as well.

Old
12-30-2013, 04:45 PM
RunYouOutOfTheRink

Have seen maybe 1/2 of the games so far, and I'm wondering if Horvat might be playing sick like some others are. He looks completely gassed after every shift. Maybe his conditioning isn't that great? Maybe skating more on the bigger ice wears him out?

Old
12-30-2013, 05:00 PM
Proto

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbullet View Post
The only players on the team Canada that have played better to this point are Sam Reinhart and Curtis Lazar.

Horvat is an extremely smart player with great hockey sense, he may not become a top scorer immediately but I feel we have a Jonathon Toews lite type of player. If Toews is an 80 pt player, Horvat will consistently be a 60-70 pt player and also an extremely valuable piece in the playoffs as well.
Not to nitpick, but Toews has never actually been an 80 point player, either. He has been at an 80 point pace, though -- last year in the shortened season and to start this year.

Old
12-30-2013, 06:21 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectProphet View Post
Have seen maybe 1/2 of the games so far, and I'm wondering if Horvat might be playing sick like some others are. He looks completely gassed after every shift. Maybe his conditioning isn't that great? Maybe skating more on the bigger ice wears him out?

gassed after one rush up the ice. another "great two-way" player that can't skate.

looks exactly like Hodgson

plays with the same lack of intensity all over the ice too..

Old
12-30-2013, 06:29 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectProphet View Post
If I had to guess, I would say he's not sick and that it's a conditioning issue. I noticed the same thing in pre-season with the Canucks. I think this is where the 'skating issues' stem from as well - it's not that he can't skate, he just runs out of gas relatively early on in his shifts and labours around the ice for the final 10-20 seconds a lot IMO.

I also wonder if his weight is a bit higher than it should be. Not unlike Kassian was, he could be carrying some bad weight and slim down to increase his quickness.

Everyone has him pencilled in next season on the Canucks but I wouldn't be surprised if his skating and conditioning hold him back and he finds himself back in Juniors for another year. The NHL game moves very quickly...

Old
12-30-2013, 06:30 PM
CanaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
gassed after one rush up the ice. another "great two-way" player that can't skate.

looks exactly like Hodgson

plays with the same lack of intensity all over the ice too..
Great insight. He obv sucks. Trade him for pucks while his values high. Oh lord why didn't we take Nichushkin, the greatest player ever to score 7 goals in a half season ...

Old
12-30-2013, 06:36 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanaFan View Post
Great insight. He obv sucks. Trade him for pucks while his values high. Oh lord why didn't we take Nichushkin, the greatest player ever to score 7 goals in a half season ...
he doesn't suck but it's sort of funny that we draft basically a Hodgson clone after trading him away. Horvat does seem better for the 3rd line role though being so great at face-offs.

Old
12-30-2013, 06:44 PM
Moore Money

am I the only one who's concerned with Horvat's quickness? It's not just his skating either, he's all around slow with no intensity. His passing and face-off abilities are top notch but other than that it's concerning.

Closed Thread