HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bo Horvat - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2013, 12:15 PM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Legwand was also drafted as a big scorer rather than a two-way player. He developed into more of a two-way player because he never became that high-end offensive player he was expected to be.

I don't know how any of Weiss (one-way scorer, undersized), Brule (undersized), Sheppard (one-way scorer) or Little (undersized) compare to Horvat in any way... maybe at least find similar players?

Besides, no one is saying that junior offense necessarily projects to the NHL 100% of the time but it certainly projects better than when one doesn't score in junior. Really, you're not making much of a case against Horvat as against all CHL players...
It doesn't matter what kind of scorers they are. I'm saying that putting up big numbers is no guarantee their offense will translate. That is all. Horvat scoring this year is to be expected. If he had put up a similar ~PPG campaign I'd have put him in the same boat as Gaunce as a likely 3C.

But him putting up those numbers doesn't all of a sudden make it likely he'll have top line production at the NHL level.

Old
12-31-2013, 12:20 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Besides, you're dismissing his numbers and saying you haven't watched him play this year but then how in the world can you say with such certainty that he doesn't have enough offensive upside? So there's really nothing Horvat could do right now to persuade you that he has offensive upside. This is just a worthy thread if there ever was one.
Vkw has clearly demonstrated he has no clue how Horvat plays.

Old
12-31-2013, 12:24 PM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Vkw has clearly demonstrated he has no clue how Horvat plays.
And yet we both seem to share the same realistic expectation for Horvat, sans the elusive "winner" connotation.

Old
12-31-2013, 12:29 PM
Tiranis

I think the difference between a two-way player with a lower-end offensive upside and a high-end one is pretty clear in this game (and tournament as a whole) when watching Laughton and Horvat play together. Laughton is more mature, has great motor, good skills, etc. but just doesn't see the ice well and plays in a straight line with no creativity. Horvat constantly makes passes that create a ton of room for his teammates like the one to McDavid in the 1st, Dumba in the 2nd, Reinhart earlier in this period, etc.

Old
12-31-2013, 12:32 PM
Craz1bo1

I think Horvat will be fine, guys. (Cover up for posting in the wrong thread)

Old
12-31-2013, 12:32 PM
CanadianPirate

He is making many smart decision around the net that with the way hockey is played in the nhl will let him produce quite a bit offensively. The way he created the McDavid goal today is an excellent example.

Old
12-31-2013, 12:33 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
And yet we both seem to share the same realistic expectation for Horvat, sans the elusive "winner" connotation.
Look back. You called him a shooter last season.its clear you've seen very little.

It's also clear you love flash.

Old
12-31-2013, 12:34 PM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Quote:
I think the difference between a two-way player with a lower-end offensive upside and a high-end one is pretty clear in this game (and tournament as a whole) when watching Laughton and Horvat play together.
There's not only two options, "no offense" or "high offense".

There are guys like Gauthier, who are black holes offensively. There are guys like Horvat, who would make a solid complimentary player but isn't one to drive the offense himself, and there are the true high end offensive players like Drouin.

Old
12-31-2013, 12:35 PM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Quote:
Look back. You called him a shooter last season.its clear you've seen very little.

It's also clear you love flash.
I called him more shoot-first than someone like Bergeron, who he was being compared to.

And if the "flash" is indicative of someone who has elite offensive talent and/or vision, then yes, I love flash.

Old
12-31-2013, 12:36 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
I called him more shoot-first than someone like Bergeron, who he was being compared to.

And if the "flash" is indicative of someone who has elite offensive talent and/or vision, then yes, I love flash.
Bergeron has previously had 300 shots in a season. Horvat is no more of a shoot-first player than Bergeron is.

Old
12-31-2013, 12:40 PM
Nuck This

Quote:
I'm not saying he has "no" offense, I'm saying he doesn't have enough offense.

Now admittedly I haven't seen much of him this season. Most of my viewings were from last year, and this year's WJC. If he has blossomed into a high end offensive player then great, but I'm definitely not sold based on what I've seen so far.

Numbers don't always tell the whole story. Guys like Bolland, or even our very own Dane Fox have put up fantastic numbers in juniors. That doesn't mean they were or are seen to have high end offensive potential at the NHL level.
I find it hard to believe you watched him more last year than you have this year now that he's Canucks property. The times last year was it in the OHL playoffs??? When he scored 16 in 21?

Old
12-31-2013, 12:43 PM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Quote:
Bergeron has previously had 300 shots in a season. Horvat is no more of a shoot-first player than Bergeron is.
It's mind boggling how you can call me out on "not having an honest discussion" when you're using a 1-time season 8 years ago. Compared to the Bergeron of 05-06, fine, Horvat isn't more shoot-first.

But since then he's stayed pretty constant at being on pace for ~200, and is quite obviously what is being referred to.

Old
12-31-2013, 12:44 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
It's mind boggling how you can call me out on "not having an honest discussion" when you're using a 1-time season 8 years ago. Compared to the Bergeron of 05-06, fine, Horvat isn't more shoot-first.

But since then he's stayed pretty constant at being on pace for ~200.
Bergeron is 14th this season and was 16th last season in shots on goal by centres. Horvat is no more of a shoot-first player than Bergeron is.

Old
12-31-2013, 12:45 PM
CanaFan

Quote:
Putting up big numbers in junior does not guarantee they will translate to the NHL.
Of course not, there are never guarantees with prospects. But we are talking about potential upsides/ceilings here, not guarantees. Every one of those 18 year olds was a top 10 pick and expected to be scoring line players. There was no talk of their ceilings being 45-55 point players. The fact that they didn't meet their projections is irrelevant - failing to meet projections is the norm, not the exception. Horvat putting up 1.5+ PPG is no "guarantee" of anything, but it does put his potential ceiling at a different level than if he was putting up sub-PPG numbers. And all anyone is talking about here is potential ceilings, as no one knows whether an 18 yo kid will reach it or not.

Old
12-31-2013, 12:51 PM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Quote:
Bergeron is 14th this season and was 16th last season in shots on goal by centres. Horvat is no more of a shoot-first player than Bergeron is.
Sidney Crosby has the 5th most shots in the league. I guess he's a more of a "shoot-first" centre than Bergeron as well?

Old
12-31-2013, 12:57 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Sidney Crosby has the 5th most shots in the league. I guess he's a more of a "shoot-first" centre than Bergeron as well?
He also plays more minutes — more than any other center in the league, in fact. Almost 30% more minutes than Bergeron.

Bergeron shoots a lot given his minutes and assignments. To claim that Bo Horvat is more of a shoot-first player just demonstrates complete lack of knowledge when it comes to Bo (or Bergeron).

Last edited by Tiranis: 12-31-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old
CanaFan

Quote:
I think the difference between a two-way player with a lower-end offensive upside and a high-end one is pretty clear in this game (and tournament as a whole) when watching Laughton and Horvat play together. Laughton is more mature, has great motor, good skills, etc. but just doesn't see the ice well and plays in a straight line with no creativity. Horvat constantly makes passes that create a ton of room for his teammates like the one to McDavid in the 1st, Dumba in the 2nd, Reinhart earlier in this period, etc.
This is a great observation and what I've been noticing this game as well. Horvat often makes the "right" pass - on the stick, at the right time, to the player in a position to receive it. Not flashy, doesn't look off an open player to give the puck an extra dangle or move. You see how many times a guy like Reinhart has good scoring chances as a result of a Horvat pass. Very translatable to the NHL imo.

Conversely you watch a guy like Mantha and while his offensive skills are tremendous, he makes a number of ill advised plays that will get him benched at the NHL level. Much better junior skills than Horvat no question, but will need to change his game at the NHL level more than Horvat will.

Old
arsmaster

Quote:
Yeah he is.

What's your point.

Old
12-31-2013, 01:03 PM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Quote:
Yeah, he is, actually. Although he also plays more minutes more than any other center in the league, in fact.
Quote:
Yeah he is.

What's your point.
Taking more shots doesn't make you more shoot first. If you're a top player you will put up more shots as well as make more plays.

Old
12-31-2013, 01:04 PM
tc23
#StopWeberSbisa2014

The piece TSN did on the story behind Horvat's #53 before today's WJC game.

http://www.tsn.ca/videohub/?collection=72&show=267541

Old
12-31-2013, 01:07 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Taking more shots doesn't make you more shoot first. If you're a top player you will put up more shots as well as make more plays.
Semantics.

Last edited by Taelin: 12-31-2013 at 01:33 PM. Reason: flaming
Old
12-31-2013, 01:09 PM
arsmaster

Quote:

Not true at all. Shall I summon bleach clean.

You specifically looked at his stats and tried to use them as hard evidence.

Clear to those who watch that he's primarily a playmaker, but is a pretty good shooter and an excellent net front guy.

Old
12-31-2013, 01:11 PM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Quote:
Semantics.

As it happens it seem like Horvat at the World Juniors has been looking more pass-oriented than he did last year. If he has become more pass-first this year then that's fine. But based on his draft year he definitely looked to me to look to scoring goals over making plays.

Last edited by Taelin: 12-31-2013 at 01:34 PM. Reason: edited quoted post
Old
12-31-2013, 01:16 PM
Proto

I'm not sure you can call Crosby "shoot first", but you certainly can't call him "pass first" when he averages 3.5 shots a game in his career, trending towards 4. I also don't see this as being a very useful tangent.

Old
12-31-2013, 01:20 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I'm not sure you can call Crosby "shoot first", but you certainly can't call him "pass first" when he averages 3.5 shots a game in his career, trending towards 4. I also don't see this as being a very useful tangent.
That's why I called it a semantics argument. Sid will shoot before he hopes a pass will work.

You don't score 50 in this day and age passing up shots.

Closed Thread