HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 7) Can't Win Olympic Games Edition

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2013, 02:14 PM
Andy

vCash: 500
The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 7) Can't Win Olympic Games Edition

Other one reached over a 1000 posts. I guess it's a good time to start a new whine.

It took us only 11 days to burn through the last one, let's see if we can break it. Will certainly help if Price puts up a string of stinkers.

Old
10-18-2013, 03:03 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Game 1: Price Good, Defense Bad
Game 2: Price Good, Defense Good
Game 3: Price Good, Defense Bad
Game 4: Budaj Good, Defense Good
Game 5: Price Good, Defense Bad
Game 6: Price Good, Defense Mediocre
Game 7: Price Good, Defense Good

Old
10-18-2013, 03:13 PM
Adriatic

Well so far so good. Don't know how long this can go on though, because our defense is scary. So far Price is on his game and we're getting wins even though we're playing bad defensively. If Price can play like this come playoffs we might have a chance to get by round #1.

Old
10-18-2013, 03:18 PM
Treb

vCash: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatic View Post
Well so far so good. Don't know how long this can go on though, because our defense is scary. So far Price is on his game and we're getting wins even though we're playing bad defensively. If Price can play like this come playoffs we might have a chance to get by round #1.
But Price can't win playoffs round!

Old
10-18-2013, 03:32 PM
Adriatic

No he can't, definitely not playing the way he did up to now in the playoffs. For any kind of playoff success, Habs need Price to be in the zone he is right now. We're still not good enough to win with average goaltending.

Old
10-18-2013, 03:33 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

vCash: 915
http://video.canadiens.nhl.com/video...61300&catid=66

Old
10-19-2013, 03:13 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake
Consensus: From Merriam-Webster: a general agreement about something : an idea or opinion that is shared by all the people in a group. I can't explain it any clearer than this.
Dude... even if we take this more absolute definition he STILL meets the criteria of what I said. He's top five in ALL those lists.

The group I looked at was NHL.com, TSN, THN, Players, coaches, GMs, Crosby himself and the players. That's not a cherrypicked group. Those are the opinions that have the most credibility in the game. You called this into question and I showed it to you. Don't blame me for the results and don't tell me I'm cherrypicking because I'm not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake
And again, you are using the facts that you want. Doesn't make it facts. Makes it YOUR facts. You bring me the fact that Crosby named him the best. I bring you the fact that all the others in that vid didn't. You bring me the facts that 6 out of 10 people in NHL.com named him top 5. I bring you the fact that 4 out of 10 didn't.
These are not MY facts.

I went on the web and went to those sites (the most credible I could think of) and am throwing in the coaches, players etc...

I showed you the most credible lists I could think of (THN, TSN, NHL) + Players, owners, Crosby, Gms, coaches... he's top five on ALL of them.

I'm not cherrrypicking anything. I didn't go to sportsnet or ESPN or whatever else you want to go to... YOU can do that yourself if you wish. I don't feel like doing Google searches for a day and a half to collect EVERY LIST IN THE WORLD. How far do you want to go with this? Because I'm sure there are top five lists out there without Lundqvist on them. It's silly to bring them up.

C'mon man, be reasonable here. You asked, I provided. I didn't cherrypick anything... just went to the sites that you'd be most likely to accept. Well, there are the lists. Don't shoot me because they happen to have Price there. Accept it and move on. Let's not be silly about this.

Old
10-19-2013, 03:21 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Can't win olympic games? He's been very good in international play in the past.

Old
10-19-2013, 03:21 PM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Andy is sarcastic...come on guys. Wake up a little bit.

Old
10-19-2013, 03:24 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
It was a joke, just having some fun. I love Price.

Old
10-19-2013, 03:37 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Let's not be silly about this.
Quote:
Well, we're talking about Price now. We're talking about how he'd do in the playoffs now. And I'd say that he's shown that he can play well. We haven't shown that we can support him well enough to win. And I feel the same about Subban.
Okay now we're talking about Price.....was just responding to which you weren't solely talking about Price but hey, to each their own. Also....he showed that how? By your own admission you wrote "There's not a whole lot to go on here dude" So he showed it how?

Quote:
Just pointing to the argument that 'he has to win in the playoffs or else' (which we've heard a lot here - maybe not by you) is a ridiculous one to make. The guy can play awesome and we lose (as he did against Boston) and we'll still hear guys saying he can't win. Well, extend the same argument to Subban then... guess he's not good enough to win either.
No it's not ridiculous. Jonathan Quick has probably an overall worst Sv% than Price in the regular season. Why the heck does everybody thinks he's a top goalie now? 'Cause of his miracles in the playoffs. Even if you are .910 all your life in the regular season. If you become miraculous during the playoffs, you'll be called clutch, and one of the top goalies of your generation that just loves to play when it counts. It will always, fortunately or unfortunately, be way more appreciated than a great regular season goalie that becomes average to good in the playoffs. While I don't entirely agree, guys like Marcel Dionne and Gilbert Perreault will always be placed in a category that says "great individual players but that were never able to bring their team to the highest level".

And again, it does not extend to Subban as, as I've said, playoffs aren't everything ( a big part though), and Subban has proven and will proove to be at the top of his own category. Until Price does that....

Anyway, it is plain silly, surely the only thing we've agreed on. I'm done discussing it. But you will need the need to reply and that will be the last post on the subject. You win.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 10-19-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old
10-19-2013, 03:41 PM
M.C.G. 31

vCash: 233
Full faith in Price. He looks like a completely new goaltender with the new goalie coach in. I see no reason why he wouldn't be able to keep up the play barring any injury. If the defense could actually play good in front of him for a full 60 minutes, it'd be perfect.

Old
10-19-2013, 03:58 PM
BLONG7

Price will be fine, as the season goes on though, they have to get more starts for Buds to help with Price's play down the stretch and in the playoffs...

Old
10-19-2013, 04:00 PM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
I just hope the fans don't lose their minds if he has a bad game every now and then.

Old
10-19-2013, 04:03 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Okay now we're talking about Price.....was just responding to which you weren't solely talking about Price but hey, to each their own. Also....he showed that how? By your own admission you wrote "There's not a whole lot to go on here dude" So he showed it how?

No it's not ridiculous. Jonathan Quick has probably an overall worst Sv% than Price in the regular season. Why the heck does everybody thinks he's a top goalie now? 'Cause of his miracles in the playoffs. Even if you are .910 all your life in the regular season. If you become miraculous during the playoffs, you'll be called clutch, and one of the top goalies of your generation that just loves to play when it counts. It will always, fortunately or unfortunately, be way more appreciated than a great regular season goalie that becomes average to good in the playoffs. While I don't entirely agree, guys like Marcel Dionne and Gilbert Perreault will always be placed in a category that says "great individual players but that were never able to bring their team to the highest level".

And again, it does not extend to Subban as, as I've said, playoffs aren't everything ( a big part though), and Subban has proven and will proove to be at the top of his own category. Until Price does that....

Anyway, it is plain silly, surely the only thing we've agreed on. I'm done discussing it. But you will need the need to reply and that will be the last post on the subject. You win.
It's okay man, you're still welcome to my scotch.

Old
10-19-2013, 04:23 PM
Frank Drebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
I just hope the fans don't lose their minds if he has a bad game every now and then.
He's played well enough to have earned a bad game or 2. Its when he plays average-bad-decent-bad we (the haters) get on him.

I'm very happy with how he's playing right now.

Old
10-19-2013, 04:43 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treb View Post
But Price can't win playoffs round!
He certainly can, but when were the Habs teams in front of him good enough to reach the SCF?

Old
10-19-2013, 04:50 PM
HatTricK09

vCash: 133
Quote:
I'm really curious as to what would happen if Price lets in one of those weird goals like every other goalies have been letting in lately

Old
10-19-2013, 04:58 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
You've been here long enough....

Old
10-19-2013, 05:04 PM
Nedved

price has been playing some of his best hockey in years...and I love the work waite has been doing. Price is taking advantage of his size, trusting his dman much more, and looks confident.

love this price!

and

fucale! fucale!! fucale!!!

Old
10-19-2013, 09:00 PM
sharks9

He was solid tonight.

1st goal was a flukey deflection and the 2nd was a gorgeous play by Jones

.945 SV% in a loss is impressive

Old
10-19-2013, 09:01 PM
Andy

Classic example of how a goalie can get you only so far in a game. The team was awful

Old
10-19-2013, 09:03 PM
Frank Drebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Classic example of how a goalie can get you only so far in a game. The team was awful
Price and Rinne were both great tonight. Rinne makes such smart plays around the crease, killing plays before they start. Not taking anything from Prices game tonight, he was great.

Old
10-19-2013, 09:04 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Still an incredible Sv%. Nobody looks at the win/loss column too much when it's time to analyse a goalie's work....Rinne wasn't bad though. We weren't awful....maybe just average.

Old
10-19-2013, 09:06 PM
Genesis76

Quote:
Game 1: Price Good, Defense Bad
Game 2: Price Good, Defense Good
Game 3: Price Good, Defense Bad
Game 4: Budaj Good, Defense Good
Game 5: Price Good, Defense Bad
Game 6: Price Good, Defense Mediocre
Game 7: Price Good, Defense Good
Game 8: Price Excellent, Defense Good (considering we were on the PK for 6 mins in the first 12 mins)

Closed Thread