HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal Who? Habs lose 4-1

Old
12-30-2013, 12:11 PM
bipolarhabfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
Another baseless correlation about how talent only comes in small packages. The mistakes that were made have nothing to do with the size of those players, but with how they were evaluated. I'm sick of this BS about how bigger players can't possibly be talented.
Did I mention anything about the connection between size and skill? No I did not. I refuse to do so. We need to get bigger and more talented. The latter is the most important consideration. We need to find players such as Getzlaf and Perry, players who are big but have skill. Having one without the latter is useless because both are necessary for championship teams.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 12:28 PM
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

vCash: 3665
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarhabfan View Post
Did I mention anything about the connection between size and skill? No I did not. I refuse to do so. We need to get bigger and more talented. The latter is the most important consideration. We need to find players such as Getzlaf and Perry, players who are big but have skill. Having one without the latter is useless because both are necessary for championship teams.
The players you cited, created an inference. It's a tired example I've seen many times over. Two issues with the example you cited about Stevenson, Ward, Brown, and Ryan -- one, you can find any similar number of small players that didn't pan out. And two, all it proves is that they are just prospects that failed. They could have been any size. Plus, I don't buy the argument that they were only selected on account of their "height".

Scouting departments don't work that way, there is always a skills grid that is attached to any player -- quite obviously, the Habs saw in those players more skills than they had.

Plus, it's even more meaningless given the giant turnover of personnel that took place under Bergevin. Nowadays, we wouldn't get caught selecting someone without going through an interview process and the compilation and assessment of several metrics, helping you to reduce your margin of error. In the end, we're still trying to project how an 18-year old will evolve, which is a very raw age to work with and can lead to a lot of unexpected outcomes. Stevenson, Ward, Brown and Ryan should be but just blips on the radar screen, just like Robin Sadler.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote