HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What about Steen?

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2005, 06:33 PM
Raging Bull

vCash: 500
What about Steen?

Any word on what he's doing this season? I'd really like to see him make the big transition this year, and I think that with all the new rule changes and such, his game will definatley benifit from it. Does anyone else want to see him in the blue and white soon?

Old
08-01-2005, 06:37 PM
no13matssundin

I kept hearing talk of putting Steen on the first line with Forsberg if we got him... Im guessing we'll bring him up at some point. Check out tmlfans.ca for more indepth status news.

Old
08-01-2005, 06:55 PM
Rand

Quote:
Originally Posted by no13matssundin
I kept hearing talk of putting Steen on the first line with Forsberg if we got him... Im guessing we'll bring him up at some point. Check out tmlfans.ca for more indepth status news.
Pure insanity IMHO.
How someone that isn't even a 1st liner in the SEL is supposed to suddenly be a 1st liner in the NHL I haven't the faintest idea.

Personally I'd rather evaluate him in training camp, if he has a stellar camp then slot him in on the 3rd line or so getting 12-12min a game. Otherwise give him some time on the Marlies top 2 lines to let him get reaccustomed to North American hockey, which probably won't take too long since he's played here before and evaluate him from there.
If he looks great in the AHL then we can always call him up, but there's little benefit served by force-feeding him the NHL if he's not ready.

Old
08-01-2005, 06:55 PM
Lobstertainment
Oh no, my brains.

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
If we don't sign another Center and he has a good camp I think he should make it.

Antropov-Stajan-Steen-Sundin down the middle.

Old
08-01-2005, 06:57 PM
Lobstertainment
Oh no, my brains.

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand
Pure insanity IMHO.
How someone that isn't even a 1st liner in the SEL is supposed to suddenly be a 1st liner in the NHL I haven't the faintest idea.

Personally I'd rather evaluate him in training camp, if he has a stellar camp then slot him in on the 3rd line or so getting 12-12min a game. Otherwise give him some time on the Marlies top 2 lines to let him get reaccustomed to North American hockey, which probably won't take too long since he's played here before and evaluate him from there.
If he looks great in the AHL then we can always call him up, but there's little benefit served by force-feeding him the NHL if he's not ready.
Agree though I wouldn't be surprised if he performed like Stajan did in the NHL to be honest.

If he can handle 3rd line Minutes let him, lets not demote him to the Marlies just because.

Old
08-01-2005, 06:59 PM
Raging Bull

Call me crazy, but I think with the right wingers, Stajan could be a quite capable second line center easily this season. Quinn tossed him around a lot last season, never leaving him with one line or position too long, and he still produced really good for a rookie.

Old
08-01-2005, 07:10 PM
Slapshot17

I think Steen might be better off having a full year in North America with the Marlies. You could call him up when needed, but maybe Kyle Wellwood would be a better fit with the Leafs this year than Steen.

Old
08-01-2005, 07:47 PM
Rand

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTOM
Agree though I wouldn't be surprised if he performed like Stajan did in the NHL to be honest.

If he can handle 3rd line Minutes let him, lets not demote him to the Marlies just because.

I'm not saying we should throw him down on the Marlies for no reason, if he proves in training camp he's capable of competing against NHL'ers then by all means slot him into the lineup. Or if he excells with the Marlies then we can call him up at any time.

We should see if he can handle it before slotting him in however, Stajan proved he could manage it and got his spot. If he duplicates Stajan's effort I'm all for it. But if he struggles then we shouldn't be throwing him into the NHL and expecting him to contribute immediately without consideration of his readiness.

Old
08-01-2005, 07:52 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand
Pure insanity IMHO.
I think Steen could potentially be capable of playing on the first line.

There's a big difference between playing on the first line and being the best player on the line (Sundin) and playing on the first line and being the third best player on the line.

Guys like Bohonos, Hoglund, Renberg and even a young Freddie Modin have all played on the first line with Mats. If Steen were to adjust quickly I think he could too.

Old
08-01-2005, 08:24 PM
Frankie

Quote:
I think Steen could potentially be capable of playing on the first line.

There's a big difference between playing on the first line and being the best player on the line (Sundin) and playing on the first line and being the third best player on the line.

Guys like Bohonos, Hoglund, Renberg and even a young Freddie Modin have all played on the first line with Mats. If Steen were to adjust quickly I think he could too.
you make good points sometimes, but this one is just absurd.

steen is a third line checker in the sel. if he plays on the leafs top line, they'll finish dead last in the nhl. no question.

hell, throw nate perrott on mats's wing all year and he'll get some goals. anyone can play there, but not everybody should. put david ling up there. he'll score goals. for the league minimum.

moot point anyways. jfj has already said steen will begin with the marlies.

Old
08-01-2005, 08:41 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie
moot point anyways. jfj has already said steen will begin with the marlies.
He also said that he agreed that a first line of Forsberg-Sundin-Steen would look pretty good.

Expecting Steen to carry a first line is absurd. Asking him to complement two other top players on a top line might not be that absurd. We'll have to see how he does in camp.

Old
08-01-2005, 08:45 PM
Rand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
He also said that he agreed that a first line of Forsberg-Sundin-Steen would look pretty good.
Hoglund could be back on the first line and it'd still look pretty damn good with Sundin and Forsberg there, so I'm not altogether sure that's a rousing commitment that Steen is going to be lining up with Sundin anytime soon.

Old
08-01-2005, 08:49 PM
Frankie

i'd look good too on the first line with forsberg and steen. doesn't mean i should be there.

its comments like these that put ridiculous expectations on the prospects and make leaf fans look like fantasy dreamers.

Old
08-01-2005, 09:08 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie
i'd look good too on the first line with forsberg and steen. doesn't mean i should be there.

its comments like these that put ridiculous expectations on the prospects and make leaf fans look like fantasy dreamers.
Yeah and the Leafs could send me to the Marlies. Doesn't mean I should be there either.

I don't have ridiculous expectations on Steen. All I said is that if guys like Hoglund can play on the first line as long as he did, maybe Steen could too.

If Steen played on the first line and scored 10 goals I'd be fine with that as long as the other two players are scoring. If a guy like Steen is capable of taking a regular shift on the first line, it just leaves more depth for the rest of the lineup.

Old
08-02-2005, 07:26 AM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
I don't have ridiculous expectations on Steen. All I said is that if guys like Hoglund can play on the first line as long as he did, maybe Steen could too.
but you could say the same thing about almost every other forward, and probably some defencemen, the leafs have under contract.

you do have ridiculous expectation. using "steen" and "first line" in the same sentence is absurd and it sounds like a childish video game fantasy.

i know he was a first round pick, but i don't get how everyone can just ignore the fact he is a third line checker in the swedish league.

Old
08-02-2005, 07:33 AM
BuppY

To say Steen can't play on the first line is just stupid, look at Avs for example, they bring in their young guys and if the players offensive minded and has skills they put him with their big guns. Steen has a offensive game and is great 2 way player and can play on the first line, with Mats and Jeff. He'll play a similar role to what Simon Gagne plays, defensive mind on the line who is the 3rd man in the offensive zone and 3rd man back. When he played on the top line in Sweden, he did put up good numbers.

Old
08-02-2005, 07:37 AM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogilny8989
Call me crazy, but I think with the right wingers, Stajan could be a quite capable second line center easily this season. Quinn tossed him around a lot last season, never leaving him with one line or position too long, and he still produced really good for a rookie.
Defineatly, he was what a fourth liner last year? He had 5 less goals then Nolan!

Also someone mentioned.

Sundin - Antropov - Stajan - Steen

down the middle. They all have good potential. I wouldn't mind any of them being our second line centre.

Closed Thread