HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So how much money do the Leafs have to play with now?

Closed Thread

Old
08-02-2005, 04:11 AM
Joey24

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand
Mogilny, Nolan, Roberts, Nieuwendyk, and Leetch all gone.
O'Neill added on.

I don't think there's much doubt we're considerably weaker then we were last season. I do however agree, I think the Leafs will make the playoffs.
Whether that's in the 7th or 8th spot, or our more typical 4th to 6th spot remains to be seen depending on who is signed.

Hmm... a wild thought, I wonder if Yushkevich would be interested in returning?
Probably not given he's making good money in Europe, and is seemingly quite content to remain there.
I do think there will be some cheap options out there for the leafs. A guy like Jason Allison could be a blessing in surprise if he is willing to take a low performance based bonus contract. Also someone like Anson Carter may come to Toronto for 800k or so. I think he is due to come around also. Personally if Toronto is a borderline playoff team next season I would rather see them bomb the season and land a high end 1st round pick. I do however think that now may be the time to start wean some of the young talent into the system. I really hope they keep away from Aucoin because I would hate to see us spend 4 million on a player with the amount of cap space we have left. I think our hopes lay with guys like Allison's and Carters of the league. Guys who A were either away because of certain circumstances or guys who have had off years. Also interesting to see Gary and Joey sign with the Panthers... bit of a surprise there. and it is also surprising me that some rather high end money being shipped early on in the Free agent season. will be interesting to see what other teams will be willing to spend on some of the elite talent in the league.

Old
08-02-2005, 06:39 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 0
http://tsn.ca/nhl/feature.asp?fid=6926

well until they getn rid of Nolan's contract thay have 10mill to spend on 12 players

of course getting rid of nolan's contract is the big thing---that 5.6mill is the ball game

Old
08-02-2005, 07:09 AM
bonjovi0308

Send a message via ICQ to bonjovi0308
Forecasted Lineup..

?? Sundin O'neal
Stajan ?? Tucker
Poni Wellwood Wilm
Belak Kilger Perrott

?? Mccabe
Kaberle Klee
Berg Colo
Spares: Pilar, Marchment(?)

Goalie: Belfour, Tellqvist, Aubin(?)

It looks like the Leafs are keen to get a dman (Aucoin/Gonacher/Rathje,~3.2 million). It seems they will go after Alison (1st line winger,~1.2 million + incentives?) and Lindors (2nd line centre, ~1.5 million?). I assume Antropov won't be back this year. Wellwood might actually be better served as 2nd line centre becoz he needs better linemates to play with him..They may also sign up some defence and goalie as the backup of the backups (i.e. J.S. Aubin?). But I think having Wilm, Belak and Perrott all playing in the same game might be a bit too much for me...

Old
08-02-2005, 07:13 AM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark
http://tsn.ca/nhl/feature.asp?fid=6926

well until they getn rid of Nolan's contract thay have 10mill to spend on 12 players

of course getting rid of nolan's contract is the big thing---that 5.6mill is the ball game
Nolan's salary does not count with the cap

Old
08-02-2005, 07:15 AM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scugs
Our rebuilding starts now.
CLAM down! The Leafs will put together a superstar roster (Lindros, Mogilny, Allison, etc.) if they are healthy. Come trade deadline if we don't seem like we're gonna make the playoffs, we'll trade certain players for high draft picks (clearing up caproom at the same time). Then go crazy for Thornton and etc. Okay?

Closed Thread