HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Bears/NFL Thread XXVI - Clowney runs a 4.53 40

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2014, 10:58 PM
Gootie
GOATie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
@nfldraftscout: Mosley and Clinton-Dix are in on every freaking tackle. Closing speed + instincts for days.

I'll take either
Big question is how much of that is because of the guys in front of them.

Old
01-03-2014, 06:17 AM
Fortyfives

Here's a full link to the Cutler deal if no one has posted...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...on-thereafter/

Old
01-03-2014, 09:01 AM
Illinihockey

@MikeGarafolo: Bears CB Tim Jennings got $12m guaranteed on that 4-year deal he signed yesterday.

Old
01-03-2014, 09:16 AM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Ok so sign Peanut.

Old
01-03-2014, 09:19 AM
Illinihockey

Starting to think Peanut ends up in Tampa with Lovie

Old
01-03-2014, 09:44 AM
Illinihockey

Brad Biggs‏@BradBiggs3m
#Bears CB Tim Jennings gets a 4-year contract worth $22.4 million with $11.815 guaranteed. Pretty good contract for 30-year-old at position.

Old
01-03-2014, 11:40 AM
Illinihockey

Matt Spiegel‏@MattSpiegel67047s

SOURCE: The official salary cap hits for Cutler are as follows: ’14: 11.8 mil, ’15: 15.3, ’16: 16.8, ’17: 18.3, ’18: 18.8, ’19: 22, ’20: 23.

Old
01-03-2014, 11:47 AM
Fortyfives

Quote:

SOURCE: The official salary cap hits for Cutler are as follows: 14: 11.8 mil, 15: 15.3, 16: 16.8, 17: 18.3, 18: 18.8, 19: 22, 20: 23.
So basically he'll never play under that contract in 19' and '20? I'm guessing even if he's still playing well they will restructure a new deal?

I wonder what the cap impacted would be if they cut him after year three. He'd be paid ~ 44 million through year three, so would the rest of the 54 million carry over to '17? So ~ 10 million dead cap space?

Old
01-03-2014, 11:49 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortyfives View Post
So basically he'll never play under that contract in 19' and '20? I'm guessing even if he's still playing well they will restructure a new deal?

I wonder what the cap impacted would be if they cut him after year three. He'd be paid ~ 44 million through year three, so would the rest of the 54 million carry over to '17? So ~ 10 million dead cap space?
Pretty sure if he retires after 3 years, the Bears would have $21.6 mil in dead space, after 4 years $10.8 mil. But I don't fully understand the NFL cap. Bonus money is pro-rated over the life of the contract or 5 years max. Its why the Bears will have $8 mil of dead money if they Cut Peppers.

Old
01-03-2014, 12:02 PM
Kurtosis
Trying Not To Suck

I thought the idea behind the contract is that they can cut him after year 3 without consequence?

Old
01-03-2014, 12:35 PM
Sarava

Mock draft simulator I stumbled on to if anyone's interested: http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/

Old
01-03-2014, 12:44 PM
Gootie
GOATie

Someone's wrong between profootballtalk and the score.

Old
01-03-2014, 01:52 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
RE: Cutler, I am just so disapointed in Phil Emery. We gave elite money to a QB who has performed at a league average level throughout his career. This is exactly the deal I thought Cutler would get but not from the Bears. We better hope he improves drastically under Trestman starting with Week 1 next year. His health is an even bigger concern. I am not sure he will be a starting QB in this league by year 3 based strictly on his health. It would have been much more prudent to franchise tag him year to year. That being said, how can you win with a guy like Cutler? You need a lockdown defense, obviously a very tall order given its current state. You need a D that can win games by itself when the offense has games with a lot of turnovers or when Cutler is hurt and the backup doesn't play well. Emery's drafting ability is shaky so far and he needs to have the draft of his career this year on D or he'll probably be fired within the next 3 years. Yes, he has had some good picks but the overall depth is shallow. You need 4-5 contributors coming out of the draft and that hasn't happened thus far. He needs to have a draft for the ages this year.

Also, the people that have been pushing for the Cutler resigning were DEAD WRONG. Cutler got a deal nearly twice as big as they suggested he would get and contrary to everything they have been saying on a daily basis, this deal does greatly impact the Bears' ability to improve the defense through free agency. In fact, there is chance that Cutler's cap hit this upcoming season will be higher than it would have been had we simply franchise tagged him. And if it isn't, the alternative is a very strict cap penalty for cutting him before 5 years. These people, and they know who they are, need to stop acting like they know what they are talking about because they have been so off base and ignorant throughout this entire season and are probably making others dumber for it. Note how they never admit they are wrong about anything. Being condescending does not make you intelligent; it's the mark of someone who has maxed out their intelligence. Never forget that.

With that said, my focus is completely centered on the D and what the team needs to do to build a lockdown D primarily through the draft.

I am not in favor of switching to a 3-4. There is just too much that would need to go right to make that change. Shea and Bostic have not shown enough to warrant that kind of change. I agree with using different formations at times to use the linebackers that we have but a full scale change, absolutely not. We stick with a 4-3 and run a lot of cover 2.

Here is my mock for rounds 1 through 3:

1st round
No. 1 choice- Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, FS, Alabama- Great speed and size, good ballhawking ability. Also delivers powerful hits at times. Everything you could ask for in a free safety. An added bonus is his youth, just turned 21, gives you an extra prime year.

2nd round
No. 1 choice- Craig Loston, SS, LSU- Great size and good speed. Hits like a Mack truck. Also has the skills to create turnovers and the speed to bring them back.

Think about all of the big plays the last few years where it was the safeties getting burnt. There have been a lot. You let these two guys come up, learn together, play together, safety is set and will be a strength for at least 10 years. I really like these guys in a 4-3 cover 2 but safety is an adaptable position and these are adaptable players. If the Bears do make a switch at some point, you can keep these guys and they will still perform well for you.

3rd round

I like two guys here.

Daniel McCullers, NT, Tennessee- Beast of a tackle, 6' 6", 380 LBS. He doesn't have anywhere near the pass rushing skills of Louis Nix III, but he has much better stamina. Being a good pass rusher from the inside doesn't mean much if you need to be frequently subbed out. That being said, McCullers has good speed for his size, ran a 4.98 40, not bad at all when you're pushing 400 lbs. Still, he is more of a gap clogging DT but a legit NT nonetheless and a guy that can stay on the field if and when the team does run 3-4 style sets.

Quandre Diggs, CB, Texas- Good all around corner, can cover and tackle, good bloodlines, brother of Quentin Jammer. Athletic corner with good football IQ. 5' 10", 200 lbs, shorter than you would like but let's face it, there aren't many skilled CBs with size and speed and if you can't get one, go for athletism. This guy plays bigger than he is and has good ballhawking ability.

Old
01-03-2014, 01:54 PM
MurrayBannerman
Incog-Theo

vCash: 2660
We need some sort of veteran in the safety corps, especially if Tillman is walking.

Old
01-03-2014, 02:14 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Mock draft simulator I stumbled on to if anyone's interested: http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/
Interesting, I took Dix at 14 but really probably would have traded down seeing the options on the board

Old
01-03-2014, 02:20 PM
Sarava

I have no opinions really on whether they should switch to 3-4. As of today - they don't have the players for either scheme. I agree that you don't make a judgement solely on McClellin or Bostic, and I'm sure Emery is smart enough to not do that.

As for Tucker. My gut tells me he isn't going to be staying. It's just too weird that they wouldn't extinguish the flames yesterday. Add in that Trestman had 4 d-coordinators in his last 4 years in Montreal (I don't know the circumstances that they left, though), and we see we have a coach that probably won't tolerate mediocrity for long.

Old
01-03-2014, 02:23 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
I have no opinions really on whether they should switch to 3-4. As of today - they don't have the players for either scheme. I agree that you don't make a judgement solely on McClellin or Bostic, and I'm sure Emery is smart enough to not do that.

As for Tucker. My gut tells me he isn't going to be staying. It's just too weird that they wouldn't extinguish the flames yesterday. Add in that Trestman had 4 d-coordinators in his last 4 years in Montreal (I don't know the circumstances that they left, though), and we see we have a coach that probably won't tolerate mediocrity for long.
I agree about Tucker. If he was safe, they would have just said it yesterday. I'm guessing they are shopping around and won't fire him unless they have a replacement lined up.

Regarding scheme, like you said, they don't have players for either scheme. The resigning of Jennings leads me to believe they'll stay in a 4-3 as he's not really a press cover corner like you need in a 3-4 scheme.

Old
01-03-2014, 02:24 PM
Gootie
GOATie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
RE: Cutler, I am just so disapointed in Phil Emery.

Here is my mock for rounds 1 through 3:

1st round
No. 1 choice- Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, FS, Alabama-
2nd round
No. 1 choice- Craig Loston, SS, LSU-

3rd round

I like two guys here.

Daniel McCullers, NT, Tennessee-

Quandre Diggs, CB,
Depending on which report is right it's either a full guaranteed 3 year 54M deal (which is cheaper than the franchise tag over 3 years) or a 5 year 81M deal. Years 6 and 7 are all base and mean nothing.He got Stafford and Romo money, which was expected. If we go off PFT, the Bears have tons of cap room this year, there's nothing wrong with taking a big bath in year one and freeing up cap space in years two or three. After year three they can get out at anytime with zero cap ramifications. If we go off the Score's report, he's cheap this year, next year, and the year after with years 4 and 5 being around 18 million.

I like Haha and McCullers. Nix has that knee problem, McCullers would be good value and allow them to be more flexible with their fronts if that is the plan. They aren't going to take two safeties with the first two picks. Would rather take two linemen early or take the BPA at anywhere except QB and RB. If the Bears just go for needs then you miss out on the Jeffreys of other positions.

Last edited by Gootie: 01-03-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old
01-03-2014, 02:24 PM
Illinihockey

Matt Spiegel‏@MattSpiegel67036s

It appears my source on the Cutler numbers isn't to be trusted. I did say "if the source is correct," but I take responsibility. Apologies.

Old
01-03-2014, 02:25 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gootie View Post

I like Haha and McCullers. Nix has that knee problem, McCullers would be good value and allow them to be more flexible with their fronts if that is the plan.
I liked Nix but after I saw he has already had meniscus surgery....pass. I don't want to take another first round pick with injury red flags. I'd rather take the guy from Minnesota than Nix.

Old
01-03-2014, 02:26 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
RE: Cutler, I am just so disapointed in Phil Emery.
Fortunately for all of us, good things happen when you doubt our GMs.

Old
01-03-2014, 02:27 PM
Illinihockey

If it truely is a 3 years $54 mil deal then its shorter and for less money than anyone thought

Old
01-03-2014, 02:28 PM
Gootie
GOATie

Quote:

SOURCE: The official salary cap hits for Cutler are as follows: 14: 11.8 mil, 15: 15.3, 16: 16.8, 17: 18.3, 18: 18.8, 19: 22, 20: 23.
Quote:
Someone's wrong between profootballtalk and the score.
Matt Spiegel ‏@MattSpiegel670 4m
It appears my source on the Cutler numbers isn't to be trusted. I did say "if the source is correct," but I take responsibility. Apologies.

So I'd assume it's the 3 year 54M deal with no signing bonus.

Old
01-03-2014, 02:29 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Then I kept reading:

Quote:
These people, and they know who they are, need to stop acting like they know what they are talking about because they have been so off base and ignorant throughout this entire season and are probably making others dumber for it. Note how they never admit they are wrong about anything. Being condescending does not make you intelligent; it's the mark of someone who has maxed out their intelligence. Never forget that..
Yikes, settle down.

Old
01-03-2014, 02:32 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
Matt Spiegel ‏@MattSpiegel670 4m

So I'd assume it's the 3 year 54M deal with no signing bonus.
Then we're talking 22.5M cap hit in the first year if the other source is correct. That really curtails their ability to improve through free agency. You can pick up a guy like Bennett, maybe another decent veteran, but beyond that, the rest of the money will go to depth and newly drafted players.

Long story short, Emery needs to have a draft for the ages on defense or we'll see more of the same next year and then beyond that, your good players on offense are starting to age. We could easily get caught in the same purgatory we were in with a good defense while trying to improve the offense, never winning a damn thing along the way. Multiple home runs needed in this draft at a minimum.

Closed Thread