HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skate Sharpening Advice

Old
12-31-2013, 01:43 AM
SaintTavares

vCash: 578
Skate Sharpening Advice

I've played roller hockey my whole life, but last year decided to try ice out and signed up for learn to play classes. Everything was relatively easy for me, except for stopping on my edges. The instructors there (who spoke English as a second language) said i needed to resharpen my blades to a different setting. I think he said 9/12. I'm about 5'10, around 180-185 lbs. My problem was that whenever i tried to stop on an edge, even from a standing position, i felt like maybe the blades werent sharp enough for me and didnt dig into the ice like they should. Any suggestions on how i should get my skates sharpened?

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 12-31-2013 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Spelling
SaintTavares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 12:40 AM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

vCash: 500
Usually the default setting is a 1/2. Cutting it to a 3/4 would be a HUGE difference and actually worsen your problem. For more bite, a 3/8 sharpen is your best bet. The closer to 0 you get, the more dig you get, but you get less glide. The closer you go to 1, you glide more, but your edge won't bite as hard.

Usually sharpenings go up and down by 1/8. Personally I use a 5/8. It's all preference.

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 06:21 AM
Marotte Marauder

A default grind should be sufficient. You may need to work more on transferring your leg power downward (or developing more leg power) to dig in more.

Keep after it, good luck!

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 12:31 PM
northernhockey
Rookie User

hi

Hey bud, There's a few threads on this already but ill give you my 2 cents. I just got the hockey stop down and all the good stuff and i experimented with the edges a bit. I started off with 1/2 (Default) so to speak and i had trouble digging in when stopping and mostly just slid. I'm 6'2 190 lbs btw. I tried a 3/8 which gave me too much bite initially but it helped digging in big time. In the end for the most part it was my knee bend and angle of digging skates in more then the hollow (Even though it helps/makes it difficult). Give them all a try until one works for you. Cheers.

PS: Have somebody who knows their stuff watch you while you do this.

northernhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 01:02 PM
Buffalo716Sabres

sharpen

Hey bud,
If you don't feel like you're digging into the ice enough (getting enough bite) that means you need to REDUCE the hollow... meaning down to a 1/2" or 7/16"... not UP... Also typically there are factors that go into what hollow you should have... it's a guideline and sometimes players play with different settings to fit their style... But usually it goes by body weight... the heavier you are the shallower the hollow you want because your body weight is making you sink into the ice more meaning you don't need as much bite (your body weight is giving you the bite)... Since you said you're about 160 you probably need to be around a 1/2"... that's a pretty standard sharpen too that MOST hockey players use... But to elaborate I weigh 220 and skate on a 3/4" (MUCH MUCH SHALLOWER) because I weigh enough that my weight allows me to dig into the ice without needing as much help from the blade... also using a blade that is to deep (sharp) will cause me to be much slower because it is making me dig TO FAR into the ice... I'd start with a 1/2" then go from there... but at 160lbs I don't think you should be on a 9/16"... That's probably a little to shallow and probably why you feel like you're not biting into the ice enough... but disclaimer... it's ALL PERSONAL PREFERANCE... some players (usually more advanced) use different settings... for example Tyler Ennis for the Sabres is only like 170lbs and skates on a 3/4" hollow... which is EXTREMELY shallow... I'm 220 and would likely struggle on a 3/4".. but he's advanced so it works... just try out a 1/2"

Buffalo716Sabres is offline   Reply With Quote