HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 Weather Thread.

Old
03-23-2014, 01:16 PM
Nunymare
Global Moderator
A Neverending Cycle

vCash: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The caressing warmth of that sun is bliss this time of year in the few moments when the wind isn't stiff. If you can be in spots sheltered from wind, like a hike in a ravine its really beautiful on clear days like this.

I actually like the weather out now. Its the days where its too warm for a toque but still too windy to be comfortable that make it not as enjoyable.

The in between temps are harder to dress for.

Anyway heres a rant. Gas prices up astoundingly on utility bills in Alberta of all places in what has been one of the warmest winters I remember. I realize that the stated reason for this is the winter being worse in other areas and demand and such but still odd that we're so impacted by that external market fluctuation within a province where a lot of the gas comes from. One would think we would be somewhat sheltered from supply and demand impacts. I'm also reminded Eastern sources also often export their fuel from other OPEC suppliers..

call me a cynic
Yeah, I'm usually pretty happy with the weather whenever the sun is out. Cloudy days are just so depressing, imo. The heat from the sun is also melting some of the snow. That being said the roads cleared up quite quickly from that last snowfall so I can still go at it on the bike, haha. Or as you said a ravine hike would be nice as well.

Nunymare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 10:46 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 50
not a big fan of all the ice on residential streets due to refreezing, but other than that, the weather isn't too terrible

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 07:21 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

vCash: 500
Some of you are going to be shocked at waking up this morning. Been snowing for around 10hrs

Ride home from game last night was fine but probably going to be crap to work this am and all day. Its snowing till Thursday ftr.

Oh, and please scrape ice and snow off windows before heading out. Can't believe what you see out there sometimes and with side windows completely covered. Shoulder check much?

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 09:08 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

hoping second winter doesn't last too long

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 09:56 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

City road conditions were reasonable. Quickly becoming slush. Bad at intersections in places but generally pretty good for straightaway sections. As always its turns and also lane changes that will be a problem today. For instance people with snow covered cars pretending every lane is theirs and no other drivers exist. You can immediately tell a bad driver by one that doesn't clear all their windows.

Anyway one last thing to look out for is peoples lane positioning is crazy bad. Some drivers just don't have a sense of where the lanes are. Unfortunately some of these people make first tracks on days like this. Don't follow such cars into the ditch haha.

Old
03-26-2014, 10:00 AM
Nunymare
Global Moderator
A Neverending Cycle

Only typical that the weather goes to **** after the "official" first day of spring...

Old
03-26-2014, 10:06 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunymare View Post
Only typical that the weather goes to **** after the "official" first day of spring...
Its like troll calenders

Only Canadian calenders should be allowed in Canada. The ones that properly indicate when seasons start. I'm half joking about this but it is ridiculous. Get so many with American denoted days, thanksgiving etc.

We're a whole country over here. Maybe we could have reasonably reflective calendars that actually are correct for the jurisdiction in which they're sold.

textbook first world problem there folks...

One more rant on people that don't clear car windows. Driver distraction is bad enough. Driver self blinding is inexcusable and immediately obvious. Cars like this should be pulled over immediately. Except they might not see the flashing lights and Police constable shouting pull over and that they wouldn't see the road properly to pull over...

Anyway obviously some questionable drivers out there today.

Old
03-26-2014, 10:16 AM
Dabomb

Didn't the groundhog predict an early spring? I should go beat that damn groundhog with my golf clubs.

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 10:19 AM
RipsADrive
Draft Dynasty

The brief reminder of spring we had just makes this weather all the more frustrating.

I've been living in Alberta my whole life and I fall for it every year. Spring never actually arrives early.

RipsADrive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 10:25 AM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

vCash: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipsADrive View Post
The brief reminder of spring we had just makes this weather all the more frustrating.

I've been living in Alberta my whole life and I fall for it every year. Spring never actually arrives early.
Yep, always remind people of that haha. Theres always a final couple of snowfalls after it all melts

flashy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 10:29 AM
ExOilerFan
5-14-6-1

We really only get maybe 2-3 months of good weather where the sun is shining. Could even be less. No wonder everyone is going down to Phoenix

ExOilerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 10:30 AM
Nunymare
Global Moderator
A Neverending Cycle

Quote:

One more rant on people that don't clear car windows. Driver distraction is bad enough. Driver self blinding is inexcusable and immediately obvious. Cars like this should be pulled over immediately. Except they might not see the flashing lights and Police constable shouting pull over and that they wouldn't see the road properly to pull over...

Anyway obviously some questionable drivers out there today.
Those drivers IMO are way more if not just as stupid than the distracted ones. Is it really worth saving say, 10-15 seconds only to be a danger to yourself and others on the road? Unbelievable. Though I guess nothing really surprises me in terms of stupid drivers nowadays.

Old
03-26-2014, 10:32 AM
Nunymare
Global Moderator
A Neverending Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Yep, always remind people of that haha. Theres always a final couple of snowfalls after it all melts
Yep, and it seems like the last one is always a substantial amount that falls. Who remembers last year when we had a blizzard and they had to shut the Henday down?

Old
03-26-2014, 11:53 AM
CantHaveTkachev
"McDavid show"Oct/15

vCash: 785
I honestly don't feel safe until May 1st (I know it can snow in May but it's gone the same day)

the only good thing but late-March/April snow is that it usually goes away in a few days

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 12:24 PM
SephF
5-14-6-1

What a gongshow this morning my god... what a place to live.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 12:40 PM
Dabomb

Well look on the bright side, at least its much better here than Atlantic Canada right now:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/spring-...nada-1.1746408

Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island are forecast to see the greatest amounts of snow up to 50 centimetres in some areas. Environment Canada is warning of near-zero visibility as wind gusts are expected to hit 120 km/h.

Environment Canada says in western Newfoundland, wind gusts could reach 160 km/h, and in the Wreckhouse area of the province the winds may hit 180 km/h.

Old
03-26-2014, 12:59 PM
Alawishis

Last edited by Alawishis: 03-26-2014 at 01:03 PM. Reason: fix YT link
Alawishis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 03:02 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipsADrive View Post

There was that one spring back in the 90's I think where everything melted in March, April was really nice and May we hit +30 once or twice. Of course we paid for it the next winter when we had the record of never getting above -20 for all of February and it stayed grey, dark and wet until almost June.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 04:19 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Yep, and it seems like the last one is always a substantial amount that falls. Who remembers last year when we had a blizzard and they had to shut the Henday down?
I remember when I worked out in Winterburn a few years ago, a guy (with kids I believe) was killed. Was a whiteout at 7am or so and crossed a railway track with an oncoming train coming. Later that day it was so nice and no snow to be found. You would've never guessed that someone would've died because of a whiteout that day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
What a gongshow this morning my god... what a place to live.
The roads weren't even that bad today is the scary part. Then again the amount of accidents when the roads are bone dry during the day is quite alarming.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 05:30 PM
fysloc

It's worse when it's dry, it brings the recklessness out of people. All the people that take off their snow tires and go performance tires and whipping in and out of traffic.

And they only do it right after the snow melts, then they properly behave again.

fysloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 05:56 PM
SephF
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
The roads weren't even that bad today is the scary part. Then again the amount of accidents when the roads are bone dry during the day is quite alarming.
I know right? It took me around ~45m to get to work this morning, yesterday it took me 15m. My favourite part of the day was brushing my truck off with the wind blasting me in the face blowing all the snow I just brushed off my vehicle right back at me. Love it.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 07:16 PM
Nunymare
Global Moderator
A Neverending Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post

Springtime always seems to be idiot driver season. Hell even the past few weeks of clear roads...

Old
03-28-2014, 08:49 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Springtime always seems to be idiot driver season. Hell even the past few weeks of clear roads...
Year round in Edmonton it's ridiculous.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 10:13 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

4days from April and wake up to -17. Simply ridiculous.

Also rant out loud at all the snowfall in recent days turned to slush and is getting splashed and frozen everywhere. All sidewalks and part of my lawn look like a coke slurpie frozen mess. Sand and gravel splashed from the roads is going to be great for the lawn...

never seen anything quite like it

Doesn't help that some drivers cruise through residential areas at freeway speeds and cause 10foot wakes through the puddles..

Old
03-28-2014, 10:39 AM
Dabomb

Quote:
4days from April and wake up to -17. Simply ridiculous.
Supposed to get up to -1 later today. A 16 degree swing in a few hours.. Oh Alberta.