HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zac Rinaldo (2013-14 season) -- Update Apr. 7, 2014: Suspended four games

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-28-2014, 09:57 AM
  #176
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
In other words except for doing one thing... He's useless?
hits + fights + intimidates = 3. If you want me to simplify it for ya.


Pretty good little skater too, that's 4. My math isn't so good either.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 10:34 AM
  #177
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RinaldoZac View Post
OMG lol. Rinaldo = Forward, GUS= D... Lol
It was a joke hence the

It's a running joke on here that Gus gets scratched for other players mistakes/bs reasons.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 05:12 AM
  #178
ahthorne
Registered User
 
ahthorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 443
vCash: 500
I like Zac for the 4th line 'cause his game is similar to other 'agitating pests' and if he could learn to control his penalties he'd be fine. He's still a kid, too, and I bet once he's a little older that part of his game will come around. No offense whatsoever though.

Once he's back:

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Schenn - Lecavalier - Simmonds
Downie - Couturier - Read
Raffl - Hall - Rinaldo

I'd be fine with this. Rinaldo brings speed and that 4th line becomes pretty quick and almost useful 5v5 thanks to Raffl. Rinaldo regressed this year and never really recovered but I think a lot of that is because his line was just pure garbage with both Rosehill and Rinaldo on it. Rosehill is clearly worse than Zac and Zac actually provides some speed and was used a little on the PK (shocker IMO).

Hope he returns soon and makes a positive impact.

ahthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 06:17 AM
  #179
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor
 
shipwreck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 1,645
vCash: 500
I agree with ya, ahthorne.

shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 07:53 AM
  #180
SgtJoseph
Registered User
 
SgtJoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northwest Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,676
vCash: 500
Zac brings the one thing that MANY of our skilled players do not bring consistently...............and that is HEART !

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 09:14 AM
  #181
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 16,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
hits + fights + intimidates = 3. If you want me to simplify it for ya.


Pretty good little skater too, that's 4. My math isn't so good either.
So in his 5 mins of playing he really does nothing? He used to be able to draw penalties but now all he does is take them.. In 5 mins of playing. The Rinaldo obsession is just like the Dan Carcillo one. A player who barely contributes is loved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
Zac brings the one thing that MANY of our skilled players do not bring consistently...............and that is HEART !
Who doesn't bring heart? Giroux? Voracek? Read? Maybe Schenn, Simmonds or Hartnell? Which of these players look like they don't have heart, something Zac Attack I guess somehow has. I guess heart is constantly putting up team on the pk.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 08:58 PM
  #182
Damaged Goods
Registered User
 
Damaged Goods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,027
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahthorne View Post
I like Zac for the 4th line 'cause his game is similar to other 'agitating pests' and if he could learn to control his penalties he'd be fine. He's still a kid, too, and I bet once he's a little older that part of his game will come around. No offense whatsoever though.

Once he's back:

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Schenn - Lecavalier - Simmonds
Downie - Couturier - Read
Raffl - Hall - Rinaldo

I'd be fine with this. Rinaldo brings speed and that 4th line becomes pretty quick and almost useful 5v5 thanks to Raffl. Rinaldo regressed this year and never really recovered but I think a lot of that is because his line was just pure garbage with both Rosehill and Rinaldo on it. Rosehill is clearly worse than Zac and Zac actually provides some speed and was used a little on the PK (shocker IMO).

Hope he returns soon and makes a positive impact.
How long have we been saying that?

He has been effective his last 2 games back. I will give him that. Still a long way to go before he earns any level of trust, though.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 01:27 AM
  #183
Harold Bingo
what
 
Harold Bingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,462
vCash: 500
It's like he remembered he's in the lineup to stir things up and make huge hits. He's been much better these past two games than he was prior to his injury.

Harold Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 08:27 AM
  #184
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 11,476
vCash: 50
His hit in the first yesterday was great and totally clean.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 12:51 PM
  #185
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,114
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=sa cyred;78973995]So in his 5 mins of playing he really does nothing? He used to be able to draw penalties but now all he does is take them.. In 5 mins of playing. The Rinaldo obsession is just like the Dan Carcillo one. A player who barely contributes is loved.




His 5 minutes a game land him 17 th in the league in hits in just 46 games. Just a guess but there's probably something better to debate than Rinaldo's usefulness. Unless hitting is no longer considered useful in Philly.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 01:48 PM
  #186
pacehimself
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 190
vCash: 500
Rinaldo has really been effective since he came back from his injury. I think he is a valuable member of the team when he sticks to his role and doesn't try to do too much. It also helps when he stays out of the box for stupid penalties. It's just awesome to see him get under the skin of the opponents and get them off their game when he throws a big hit. Hopefully he can continue to play like this consistently

pacehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 01:52 PM
  #187
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,076
vCash: 500
People tend to overrate hits a lot when it comes to the NHL. Similarly to stuff like blocked shots, in order to register a hit your team can't have possession of the puck because otherwise it would be an interference penalty and not a hit. If you register a ton of hits it makes it easier to assume that you don't have possession much.

Just more of a general comment, but it's easy to see how it relates to Rinaldo.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 02:04 PM
  #188
pacehimself
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 190
vCash: 500
Ya...I'm just saying he gets a lot of criticism on these boards so i just wanted to give him credit when its due. He is a 4th liner...nothing more nothing less. An energy guy that does his job by making big hits and making opponents think twice about keeping their head down.

pacehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 02:23 PM
  #189
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 114,250
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacehimself View Post
Ya...I'm just saying he gets a lot of criticism on these boards so i just wanted to give him credit when its due. He is a 4th liner...nothing more nothing less. An energy guy that does his job by making big hits and making opponents think twice about keeping their head down.
I'm sure a lot of people would do well when their role on the team is to go out and waste time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
How long have we been saying that?

He has been effective his last 2 games back. I will give him that. Still a long way to go before he earns any level of trust, though.
I'm sure he's the reason somehow that Steve Mason returned to his unsustainably hot form.

__________________
Philadelphia's Real Alternative
(ynotradio.net)

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 03:20 PM
  #190
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I'm sure a lot of people would do well when their role on the team is to go out and waste time.



I'm sure he's the reason somehow that Steve Mason returned to his unsustainably hot form.



I doubt opposing defensemen that hear footsteps would agree with you. The guy's an energy player, I don't understand why people expect more. When did being the most effective physical forward on your team become a waste of time? He's been knocking a guy out every two games with clean hits lately. Betcha Smid's going to pay more attention when he's out there in the future.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 03:21 PM
  #191
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacehimself View Post
Ya...I'm just saying he gets a lot of criticism on these boards so i just wanted to give him credit when its due. He is a 4th liner...nothing more nothing less. An energy guy that does his job by making big hits and making opponents think twice about keeping their head down.


Sorry, I pretty much copied your post.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 03:35 PM
  #192
pacehimself
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 190
vCash: 500
Lol its cool bob Clarke fan club...i am happy with him on the 4th line making other teams play on their toes. You can see it lately with players forcing passes when he is around them...he causes turnovers...now what he does with the turnovers thats a different story lol. All in all im happy that he seems to be playing better as of late

pacehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 03:55 PM
  #193
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 114,250
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
I doubt opposing defensemen that hear footsteps would agree with you. The guy's an energy player, I don't understand why people expect more. When did being the most effective physical forward on your team become a waste of time? He's been knocking a guy out every two games with clean hits lately. Betcha Smid's going to pay more attention when he's out there in the future.
Betcha Smid doesn't care.

Because hitting a guy and GTFO the ice isn't effective play. Only Raffl and Hall (who are more trusted in tougher situations) had worse attempt numbers than Rinaldo. He hit Smid. Good for him. He was also out-played by significant margin by a team who outplayed the Flyers a little less significantly.


Here's a list of attempts after the momentum-changing, energizing hit on Smid (15:18 of the 2nd):

2 15:49 CGY Shot Slap 64 ft. Wideman EV 5v5
2 16:16 CGY Miss Wrist 12 ft. Stempniak EV 5v5
2 16:35 CGY Shot Wrist 42 ft. Hudler EV 5v5
2 16:41 CGY Block Snap Giordano (blocked by Timonen) EV 5v5
2 16:47 CGY Block Slap Brodie (blocked by Lecavalier) EV 5v5
2 18:03 CGY Shot Wrist 18 ft. Backlund EV 5v5
2 18:04 CGY Block Wrist Bouma (blocked by Streit) EV 5v5
2 19:01 PHI Block Wrist Giroux (blocked by Giordano) EV 4v4
2 19:23 CGY Shot Snap 38 ft. Backlund EV 4v4
2 19:31 CGY Block Wrist Backlund (blocked by Streit) EV 4v4
2 19:59 PHI Shot Back 80 ft. Coburn EV 4v4

A lot of CGY's and a PHI shot from 80 feet at the end of the period. I'm sure Smid will take more hits if it makes the opposing coach think a guy who doesn't belong on the ice actually gets things accomplished.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 04:34 PM
  #194
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,114
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=GKJ;79673649]Betcha Smid doesn't care.

Because hitting a guy and GTFO the ice isn't effective play. Only Raffl and Hall (who are more trusted in tougher situations) had worse attempt numbers than Rinaldo. He hit Smid. Good for him. He was also out-played by significant margin by a team who outplayed the Flyers a little less significantly.







If you say so, but speaking solely as a non-professional player who's been rocked with his head down....I disagree. Players don't enjoy getting hit hard, just figured I'd let you in on the obvious. I don't even know what those shot totals have to do with Smid getting popped.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 04:39 PM
  #195
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 114,250
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
If you say so, but speaking solely as a non-professional player who's been rocked with his head down....I disagree. Players don't enjoy getting hit hard, just figured I'd let you in on the obvious. I don't even know what those shot totals have to do with Smid getting popped.
Because Smid getting popped meant nothing. You can't make nothing mean something.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 05:19 PM
  #196
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Because Smid getting popped meant nothing. You can't make nothing mean something.

but you can put a negative spin on it, K.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 05:25 PM
  #197
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 114,250
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
but you can put a negative spin on it, K.
No, you think it's negative because you disagree. I just said that it still meant nothing. The Flyers were getting out-attempted before the play, and it didn't change after it. A thing happened that had no impact whatsoever on the game. In effect: nothing.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 05:26 PM
  #198
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Because Smid getting popped meant nothing. You can't make nothing mean something.


Maybe if we finish 2 points ahead of Columbus for the last playoff spot his hit on Gaborik won't mean anything either.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 05:39 PM
  #199
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 114,250
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Maybe if we finish 2 points ahead of Columbus for the last playoff spot his hit on Gaborik won't mean anything either.
Either that one, or the 5-0 shutout of Detroit where neither he nor Rosehill played and actually got to ice a full roster of NHL players.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 06:42 PM
  #200
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 45,811
vCash: 500
And Gaborik was going to get hurt anyways. It's not like it's a rare thing to knock him out for a large chunk of time.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.