HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Bought Out Players may be a blessing in disguise...

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2005, 10:29 PM
Scoogs

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
Bought Out Players may be a blessing in disguise...

Now don't get me wrong, there are many players I'd choose over him, but with the strain on our cap, I don't see an alternative if we are going to have a SC competitive team...

Guys like Amonte and LeClair, who have been bought out by the Flyers, could possibly take less money on a 1-2 year deal, since they got their money any ways.

Two LW. One could be moved to the RW, and a Lindros signing would be a reuniting of sorts.

Call me stupid. But if JFJ was able to pull off a cheap signing in LeClair and Amonte, and get Lindros cheap.. I'd absolutely freak out.

Thoughts?

Old
08-01-2005, 10:35 PM
Slapshot17

Money is severely limiting the leafs options. If they could get all those guys cheap and on 1 year contracts, I'd say do it. At least it would guarantee they'd be competeitive. On the other hand, it would just be loading up on older guys again, when maybe youth is the way to go.

Old
08-01-2005, 10:37 PM
Verbal Kint*

Lecclair, Lindros and re-sign Renberg.

The reunion of the Legion of Doom.

Not that LeClair-Sundin-Lindros wouldn't be any less doom-ful.

Old
08-01-2005, 10:37 PM
Scoogs

It's a question of competing for this year.

If they would accept a 1 year deal that would be just amazing. We still have alot of room for young guys to come and develop.

I would do it... Only if it were 1 year deals. 2 Years would be a maybe...

Old
08-01-2005, 11:23 PM
Scoogs

Honestly, looking at either players stats, its like a reflection of Roberts and Nieuwendyk. On top of that, less injury prone.

Amonte

2003-2004 Flyers 80 20 33 53

LeClaire

2003-2004 Flyers 75 23 32 55

Nieuwendyk

2003-2004 Maple Leafs 64 22 28 50

Roberts

2003-2004 Maple Leafs 72 28 20 48

If anything it's an upgrade over Roberts and Nieuwendyk.

If you're looking only at stats. Leadership is a different story.

Old
08-01-2005, 11:53 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Amonte might be worth a look, especially if he takes a buy-out discount.

Satan, Palffy, Demitra, Kariya, Naslund, or Modano would look nice on the team.

They got knocked out, not because of defense, or tending, but because they couldn't score.

Old
08-02-2005, 12:07 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
Amonte might be worth a look, especially if he takes a buy-out discount.

Satan, Palffy, Demitra, Kariya, Naslund, or Modano would look nice on the team.

They got knocked out, not because of defense, or tending, but because they couldn't score.
I still believe that a Forsberg ....Sundin ....Naslund .....line could be one of the best in NHL history ..

Its not going to happen unless huge discounts are in order .. They should try it for just one year though ..

Old
08-02-2005, 12:07 AM
Stephen

Our skating was also looking pretty shabby against Ottawa and Philadelphia. Amonte isn't a front line player anymore, but if we can get him cheap, which is possible because he just cashed in on his buy out, we can add some foot speed.

Old
08-02-2005, 12:15 AM
Cap'n Flavour

Send a message via ICQ to Cap'n Flavour Send a message via MSN to Cap'n Flavour
Ugh, why would you want LeClair anyways? Amonte maybe. It'd certainly be nice to have a guarantee that Kaberle won't be letting him go unchecked in front of the net for no reason should the Leafs make the playoffs.

Frankly, the Leafs only have money for one big name free agent, the rest will either need to be risks or players who will sign for less to play here. By risks I mean injury prone/cursed players like Deadmarsh or Straka (unlikely but still possible) or drunkards like Zhamnov, or the likes of Lindros and Allison (who fit under both categories). If not, we'll probably see JFJ sign at least a couple of lower tier / one dimensional guys to fill up the top two lines, like Stillman, McEachern, Val Bure or Brunette.

Personally I'm hoping there's at least a few guys reasonably skilled guys willing to sign here for less. Maybe Cassels, Damphousse, Whitney or Carter. Alternately, just go for broke and sign Messier, Francis, Andreychuk, Stevens and Chelios and try to field the oldest 5-man unit in the NHL.

Old
08-02-2005, 12:15 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Our skating was also looking pretty shabby against Ottawa and Philadelphia. Amonte isn't a front line player anymore, but if we can get him cheap, which is possible because he just cashed in on his buy out, we can add some foot speed.
Without the redline, Leafs could have some need for speed, they already have some passers who can spring the rabbits free.

Amonte, Kariya, Palffy have some wheels, Kabs and Nick can both throw some nice passes.

Waiting for JFj's surprise signing.

Old
08-02-2005, 12:18 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
Without the redline, Leafs could have some need for speed, they already have some passers who can spring the rabbits free.

Amonte, Kariya, Palffy have some wheels, Kabs and Nick can both throw some nice passes.

Waiting for JFj's surprise signing.
What about Wellwoods passes .??. This new NHL is made for him ..

Old
08-02-2005, 12:20 AM
Scoogs

But guys, be realistic. We only have $10million in cap space. And likely less, since everyone is saying teams won't hit the ceiling of the cap due to revenues not meeting 1.7 billion, thus the cap dropping off a bit.

So it'll be more like $7 million left in cap space.

Old
08-02-2005, 12:22 AM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scugs
But guys, be realistic. We only have $10million in cap space. And likely less, since everyone is saying teams won't hit the ceiling of the cap due to revenues not meeting 1.7 billion, thus the cap dropping off a bit.

I see $16 million in cap space. How do you arrive at 10?

Old
08-02-2005, 12:23 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:

This year it is 39 million, but will likely drop next year when the Leafs have even move players dropping off guaranteed contracts.

I want forwards, but if you want a defender, look at Calgary, moving Lydman after signing Niedermayer.

Old
08-02-2005, 12:29 AM
Rand

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Minus his skating, which is an even bigger weakness then before I agree with you.
I still thik he'd be perfect on the PP, his defensive shortcomings wouldn't matter much in such a situation, and his skating wouldn't hurt as much either as he'd primarily be in the offensive zone.
He's still need to stand up to the physical game a little more then he has thus far but the PP would be the perfect place to showcase his offensive skill set and he's got an excellent shot up close. He's well above average in the faceoff department as well, so he can help to keep the puck in the zone in that respect.

Old
08-02-2005, 12:29 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:

I never understand this argument though ..

If everyone is expecting revenue to go down and the cap ..Then why would you not take full advantage of it this year if the estimates were too high ..

If you set up for $36 mil say this year and then the cap drops to that then you can only spend that much next year when the Cap figure is lowered ..

The Leafs have Belfour, McCabe, Kaberle, Klee on the last year of deals .. That adds up to a $12 mil cushion (not even counting the RFA on 1 year deals) ..

If the Leafs spent to the ceiling as they should, and the Cap did come down then next year Leafs would just have less money replacing those players .. Say the Cap drops 3-4 mil then Toronto would have to replace their own for $8-9 mil ..

You are only painted into a corner if you have multi year deals on the books ..

In regards to the trade deadline .. Very little contract is left at the time of the trade and even a 5 mil player will only count 800k-1 mil against a cap .. Also because of the urge to trade draft picks by the Leafs the less room they have at the deadline the less likely they trade them away ..

Last edited by Mess: 08-02-2005 at 12:39 AM.
Old
08-02-2005, 12:35 AM
Scoogs

Mess I totally agree. I guess I forgot to put that point about the deadline in there.

A 1 year deal with Lindros, and Amonte couldn't hurt at all.

Old
08-02-2005, 12:36 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand
Minus his skating, which is an even bigger weakness then before I agree with you.
I still thik he'd be perfect on the PP, his defensive shortcomings wouldn't matter much in such a situation, and his skating wouldn't hurt as much either as he'd primarily be in the offensive zone.
He's still need to stand up to the physical game a little more then he has thus far but the PP would be the perfect place to showcase his offensive skill set and he's got an excellent shot up close. He's well above average in the faceoff department as well, so he can help to keep the puck in the zone in that respect.
With obstruction being called and more PP time and shoot outs to end games, that play right into Welly's hand ..

If you put a Kariya on Welly's line then that speed compensates for regular ice time ..

Personally I don't see a Wellwood being successful under Quinn because he just isn't his type of player ..

I wonder what trade value Kyle would have to another team that needs offense ??.

Old
08-02-2005, 01:40 AM
The Original Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Wellwood is not an NHLer. Get used to it and get over it. If he ever does get to the NHL it will be because the Leafs suck really badly.

Old
08-02-2005, 02:09 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original Steve
Wellwood is not an NHLer. Get used to it and get over it. If he ever does get to the NHL it will be because the Leafs suck really badly.
Well then I guess that helps define my position as I will be cheering on suck badly for the sake of Wellwood ..

BTW .. How do you describe best how we were manhandled and disposed of by the Flyers the past two playoff years....

Closed Thread