HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2014 Winter Olympics Thread

Old
01-01-2014, 11:58 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

vCash: 500
Wow. Even if they added Yandle there is a lot of head scratchers on that team. No way they medal.

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 12:00 AM
Vip
Rieder Support Team

Can't ****ing believe Yandle was snubbed, as well as Ryan.

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 12:01 AM
Vip
Rieder Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
We? I don't know about you but I sure don't feel any loyalty to USA hockey. Not with those clowns running the show. Same goes for the under twenty team.
Part of me hopes that USA gets the **** kicked out of them just to show how ****ing dumb the front office is.

Old
01-02-2014, 12:03 AM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

vCash: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naych_PHX View Post
No way they medal.
I wouldn't go that far. All it takes is for Ryan Miller to stand on his head for 2 games and they take silver, then everyone looks like a genius. Ahhhh ... tournaments.

ck26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 12:08 AM
Naurutger
Free Max!

vCash: 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIG View Post
13 pts in 40 games this season. Last Olympics zero pts in 6 games. Better to put Yandle on the team as a winger. Now if it were the summer games, I could think of one sport Dusty B would excel at.
Logic that supports my anger only confuses me

Naurutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 12:30 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjay13 View Post
if your love for yandle overrides your love for your country then i really can't argue
You aren't making any sense at all. The hockey team is not the country. The country is not the hockey team.

01-02-2014, 12:36 AM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
You aren't making any sense at all. The hockey team is not the country. The country is not the hockey team.
Amen to that. Blind nationalism has never really served anyone well. Go Sweden.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 01:18 AM
AndrewYotes

I just read the full ESPN article and my God Burke comes across as an idiot.

Lombardi prepares a whole stats reports and such for Yandle and Burke basically laughs it off as lawyer nonsense. I mean, what the actual ****.

AndrewYotes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 01:21 AM
diceone

Go Sweden!

The US hockey program is a joke.

diceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 01:32 AM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweYote View Post
OEL - 99%
Hanzal - 95%
Vrbata - 80%
Michalek - 95% (if healthy)
Klesla - 30%
Korpikoski - 75%
Smith - 5%
Doan - 1%

+ Boedker, Greiss would be locks had their teams qualified. (What the hell is up with Germany not qualifying?!)
Fair Enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjay13 View Post
jesus people

yandle deserved to be on the team no doubt (and he still may end up there) but to turn against the country and hope they fail? that is just silly and childish.
Your argument would hold more if this were 1980 and not 2014.

Many of the olympic sporting events today have professional athletes in the games that are ideally meant more for anyone not a pro to be participating in historically speaking. The USA Men's Basketball Team have won a few Gold Medals in most Olympics since the Basketball Pros were allowed to start playing in the Olympics without facing alot of competition to getting the Gold. The USA Men's Hockey Team have a much harder task at winning the Gold seeing there is more competition towards winning a Gold Medal in Hockey than in Basketball. The USA Men's Team have not won the Gold since 1980 and have lost 2 times to Team Canada in the Gold Medal Game since the Pro's were allowed to play in Olympic Hockey. Expectations are very high(nothing less than Gold) for this team and adding certain players while rejecting certain ones is totally unacceptable.

Last edited by Colt45Blast: 01-02-2014 at 01:41 AM.
Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 01:57 AM
Vip
Rieder Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Fair Enough!

Your argument would hold more if this were 1980 and not 2014.

Many of the olympic sporting events today have professional athletes in the games that are ideally meant more for anyone not a pro to be participating in historically speaking. The USA Men's Basketball Team have won a few Gold Medals in most Olympics since the Basketball Pros were allowed to start playing in the Olympics without facing alot of competition to getting the Gold. The USA Men's Hockey Team have a much harder task at winning the Gold seeing there is more competition towards winning a Gold Medal in Hockey than in Basketball. The USA Men's Team have not won the Gold since 1980 and have lost 2 times to Team Canada in the Gold Medal Game since the Pro's were allowed to play in Olympic Hockey. Expectations are very high(nothing less than Gold) for this team and adding certain players while rejecting certain ones is totally unacceptable.
Well said.

Old
01-02-2014, 02:41 AM
Longwayfromhome
Sweden/London, UK.

It is a ****ing joke that Yandle didn't make the team! I wonder if that would have been the case if he played in, lets say… toronto.

Longwayfromhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 02:44 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewYotes View Post
I just read the full ESPN article and my God Burke comes across as an idiot.

Lombardi prepares a whole stats reports and such for Yandle and Burke basically laughs it off as lawyer nonsense. I mean, what the actual ****.
You didn't read it carefully, then. Burke makes a few cracks, but ultimately praises Lombardi for being a great lawyer and making a great case for Yandle. The coaching staff didn't want Yandle, that's why he's not there.

Gibsons Finest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 02:53 AM
hbk

Coaches are Bylsma, Richards, Laviolette, and Granato. Eastern bias?

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 05:07 AM
mighty Stanley Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
The Ducks are the best team in the league right now. Look at that forward group. You don't think that shelters someone like Fowler? Next you're going to claim that he's better than OEL because he has +4 on him.
Fowler has been great for us this season...and he deserved spot on roster.
Orpik and Faulk should be considered as guys replaced by Yandle.

mighty Stanley Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 05:27 AM
starman
we're here to stay!

I was hoping to support team USA along with Yandle, despite having to hold my nose at Brown making the team. In the circumstances I too will be rooting for the Czechs and the Swedes and hoping that the US team crashes and burns.

starman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 05:46 AM
zerekstar

Someone compared it to Subban not making team Canada and that is probably a fair comparison. I was shocked that last year's Norris winner did not make the cut but the explanation seems to be, we don't have a real solid starter in goal and so they wanted the best defensive d-men in front of whoever gets the call to give us a chance.

This is not very fair to Subban either or the fans that support him but we haven't had an elite, world class goalie that can compete with the likes of Lundquist, Miller, Rask, and so on for quite some time and so I understand the reasoning but yet it still doesn't sit well and as many have always said, the best defence is a good offence.

But in fairness to Yandle, his defence has come a long ways. The problems seems to be that he is being evaluated on what he was five years ago. He has upped his defensive game a lot since those days and if these clowns watched as much hockey as they say they have, they might know that. And that is why they should listen to Lombardie cause he sees a lot more Yandle then the rest do.

zerekstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 06:22 AM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerekstar View Post
But in fairness to Yandle, his defence has come a long ways. The problems seems to be that he is being evaluated on what he was five years ago. He has upped his defensive game a lot since those days and if these clowns watched as much hockey as they say they have, they might know that. And that is why they should listen to Lombardie cause he sees a lot more Yandle then the rest do.
Yandle has been one of the top D in the league in terms of points at even strength for many years now. Playing for the Coyotes. A team that rarely could claim many legitimate top 6 forwards. In a defensive system. Anyone who thinks he is deficient just hasn't watched him.

He isn't going to erase a guy or bully them off the puck. That's a great exchange for what I imagine would be unparalleled transitional offense on the larger ice. It's real easy to win when you are constantly forcing odd man rushes and guys are having an easy time entering the zone.

Crock of ****, Burke and Co. Respect level for Lombardi went way up.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 06:48 AM
zerekstar

Lidstrom never bullied too many people off the puck either and there is not a team anywhere that wouldn't love to have had him in his day. I always thought getting the puck out of your end quickly and accurately was good defence but I guess the higher ups, the experts, don't see that.
Totally agree with what you said about Lombardie.

zerekstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 08:21 AM
pacerhimself

Before this season, I'd say Doan's chances were pretty low, but at the pace he was going, he was definitely playing his way onto the Canada roster, especially when he's known as such a strong leader and locker room guy. The Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever might've knocked him out of Team Canada.

CBC had a mini-documentary about picking Team Canada with Steve Y leading the proceedings. The only thing we know for sure is Carey Price is #1 G and Crosby and Getzlaf are both on the team. Smith's play lately has probably knocked him out of contention with things like letting 3 in on 10 shots vs Edmonton.

(link to doc http://www.cbc.ca/player/Shows/Shows/ID/2427880548/ )

So that pretty much leaves our European contingent

OEL - Sweden
Boedker - Denmark
Greiss - Germany
Hanzal - Czech
Vrbata - Czech
Michalek - Czech
Korpikoski - Finland

I think everybody but Z depending injuries have a pretty good chance of making their teams. Korpi is on the bubble, but his speed might get him a spot.

pacerhimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 08:27 AM
hbk

Yandle faces one of coaches who vetoed his selection tonight. This could be good.

Old
01-02-2014, 09:33 AM
amjay13
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
We don't know each other personally, so forgive me if I'm off-base, but Caps fans who live in Scottsdale have very little credibility when insisting others blindly support the home team ...
8 year Coyote season ticket holder. Love the Yotes. Caps are 1a, Yoets 1b.

amjay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 09:48 AM
Etch

vCash: 650
I don't even know where to start with this. It's been said before, but if Yandle played for Bylsma in Pit he would easily be their top d-man, no hesitation. Sutter should be there, then Shattenkirk and Yandle have about equal value in my eyes then everyone else on D is below them significantly.

Yandles defensive game has improved leagues the last couple seasons, and his strongest components like his skating, puck moving, and zone entry would be so much more valuable on the big ice. Complete bull **** that he got left off the team. I feel so bad for Yandle.

I guess as a Canadian now I won't be rooting for a team lead by Brown and that management at all, sorry my friends from below the border

Also can't believe some of the guys up front who made it over Ryan.

Gotta respect Lombardi for going to bat for Yandle, I won't hate his team as much anymore.

Finally on the olympic topic, NO SMITH for Canada plz. I like the guy, but if he makes the team and sits as the 3rd goaltender he will think that his performance has been good enough to get him there. I want him and his ego brought down to earth so he gets back to playing like he belongs to be in this league.

/rant

Etch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 11:00 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Agreed on the Smith ego. He sucks when he's got swagger. Much better when he's got a chip on his shoulder and something to prove. I just hope he's doesn't have a temper tantrum when they don't pick him.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 11:10 AM
hbk

In the last 3 seasons Yandle has finished 5th, 14th, and 12th in Norris voting. He just doesn't get any respect for the development in his game.