HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread 2013-2014 (Part VII)

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2014, 02:18 PM
jetkarma

vCash: 500
Corey Pronman put out his WJC review for prospects but it is an ESPN insider article , anyone have the Jets report?

Old
01-07-2014, 02:40 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
Corey Pronman put out his WJC review for prospects but it is an ESPN insider article , anyone have the Jets report?
I am a member so there here you go my friend!

Winnipeg Jets: B+

F Andrew Copp was named as one of USA's top three players, centering their grind line. Copp's development has really taken off since his days with the NTDP days. He's a high-pace, high-speed player who wins battles, pressures defenders, and has solid offensive instincts as well. He has the ability to be a good two-way forward at the NHL level.
D Jan Kostalek is seen by scouts as a two-way defenseman, but he was deployed in a defensive role here, and didn't really get power play opportunities. He made stops with his stick and physicality, and tended to have some solid but unspectacular games. I anticipate a much bigger role for him at this event next season.
D Josh Morrissey was average with flashes of his potential, which is that of a speedy puck-mover with great instincts. Morrissey's lack of strength and his age showed in other instances though, and he was clearly kept away from the opposition's better players.
F Nic Petan was quiet in the first few games, but after being heavily leaned on for offense, he showed the tremendous puck possession skills he has. He's been a top player in the CHL, and showed that when he gets space to work with he's a dynamic playmaker. Petan's size (5-foot-9, 172 pounds) is a notable issue in his NHL projection, on top of the fact he isn't a high-end skater.

Old
01-07-2014, 02:44 PM
Huffer

Thanks PS. How did that fare compared to others?

Old
01-07-2014, 02:52 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Thanks PS. How did that fare compared to others?
Nashville A, Caps A

Sabres A-, Habs A-

Jets, Isles, Jackets and Lightning all tied for 5th with B+

pretty dam good considering we had 4 kids out of our 2013 draft. Teams like the Sabres, Nashville, and the Hawks have the advantage of having high end 1st round talent from the 2012 draft.

Last edited by ps241: 01-07-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old
01-07-2014, 02:57 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

We also didn't have comrie.

Old
01-07-2014, 03:12 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
I am a member so there here you go my friend!

Winnipeg Jets: B+

F Andrew Copp was named as one of USA's top three players, centering their grind line. Copp's development has really taken off since his days with the NTDP days. He's a high-pace, high-speed player who wins battles, pressures defenders, and has solid offensive instincts as well. He has the ability to be a good two-way forward at the NHL level.
D Jan Kostalek is seen by scouts as a two-way defenseman, but he was deployed in a defensive role here, and didn't really get power play opportunities. He made stops with his stick and physicality, and tended to have some solid but unspectacular games. I anticipate a much bigger role for him at this event next season.
D Josh Morrissey was average with flashes of his potential, which is that of a speedy puck-mover with great instincts. Morrissey's lack of strength and his age showed in other instances though, and he was clearly kept away from the opposition's better players.
F Nic Petan was quiet in the first few games, but after being heavily leaned on for offense, he showed the tremendous puck possession skills he has. He's been a top player in the CHL, and showed that when he gets space to work with he's a dynamic playmaker. Petan's size (5-foot-9, 172 pounds) is a notable issue in his NHL projection, on top of the fact he isn't a high-end skater.
Appreciated , thanks !

Much as I expected , with Copp being the dominant performer.

Good to see the positives and the negatives identified.

Old
01-07-2014, 03:29 PM
jetkarma

Not surprisingly , we see instincts mentioned prominently. Been a core piece for the Jets in their drafting.

Old
01-07-2014, 03:41 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Nashville A, Caps A

Sabres A-, Habs A-

Jets, Isles, Jackets and Lightning all tied for 5th with B+

pretty dam good considering we had 4 kids out of our 2013 draft. Teams like the Sabres, Nashville, and the Hawks have the advantage of having high end 1st round talent from the 2012 draft.
Crazy thing is Nash kept Seth Jones and Buffalo kept Zemgus Girgensons.

Wsh kept Tom Wilson.

Those teams have even more young skill.

Old
01-07-2014, 03:47 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Holden made a great point about Morrissey last night on the AIH pod cast. He mentioned Josh adapted his game for his role in this tournament and played a safe game that was conservative but the fact he the talent and IQ to transition his game to plan B is a big deal. It was mentioned Dumba and Pouliet don't have that club in their bag, what you see is what you get with all the warts they bring the one game to the table. I think Holden and garret said that Kostelak has that same flexibility to adapt his game to his D partner or the situation.

Both smart kids that can adapt their games and don't tell me that won't come in handy at the next level.

Old
01-07-2014, 03:49 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Crazy thing is Nash kept Seth Jones and Buffalo kept Zemgus Girgensons.

Wsh kept Tom Wilson.

Those teams have even more young skill.
Yea and think about if Washington hadn't traded the tournament MVP Forsburg?

Old
01-07-2014, 03:56 PM
Boreal

Quote:
Yea and think about if Washington hadn't traded the tournament MVP Forsburg?
That deal still baffles me.

Old
01-07-2014, 03:56 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Holden made a great point about Morrissey last night on the AIH pod cast. He mentioned Josh adapted his game for his role in this tournament and played a safe game that was conservative but the fact he the talent and IQ to transition his game to plan B is a big deal. It was mentioned Dumba and Pouliet don't have that club in their bag, what you see is what you get with all the warts they bring the one game to the table. I think Holden and garret said that Kostelak has that same flexibility to adapt his game to his D partner or the situation.

Both smart kids that can adapt their games and don't tell me that won't come in handy at the next level.
Re Kostalek: I saw it on our prospects games in Penticton.

Kostalek played safe when he was playing with Kichton but activated more when he was with Sol.

Old
01-07-2014, 04:03 PM
Huffer

Quote:

I liked that as well in the WJ's.

Not sure if it was the coaching dictating his "aggressiveness", but it seemed like Morrissey wasn't looking to try to do too much for the most part. But once I noticed the team down a bit, all of a sudden I was seeing Morrissey activate on the boards more often to pinch, take the puck in deep, and on many occasions, creep into the slot or the far side of the goal for a cross ice pass (like his goal, but I saw him sneak in other times).

Old
01-07-2014, 04:23 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

If there are any other team recaps you want to see let me know.

Old
01-07-2014, 04:34 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:

Holden is smart.

AIH is great.

Old
01-07-2014, 05:33 PM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 2149
@NHLJets: #NHLJets prospect, Michael Hutchinson, has been named the ECHL goaltender of the week following a 4-0-0 record last week with one shutout.

Old
01-07-2014, 07:22 PM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I'll check this out at work tomorrow. Thanks!

Old
01-07-2014, 11:01 PM
JC Numminen
The top dog

vCash: 132
Any of you making the trip to Brandon for the back to back vs prince Albert this weekend?

Old
01-07-2014, 11:59 PM
Kyosama

vCash: 802
Comrie saves 26 of 27, gets first star in a 2-1 win.

Old
01-08-2014, 12:44 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJet View Post
Any of you making the trip to Brandon for the back to back vs prince Albert this weekend?
Huh. Morrissey is in town again? I may need to check that out.

Old
01-08-2014, 12:45 AM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
Morrissey AND Draisaitl

Old
01-08-2014, 08:19 AM
JC Numminen
The top dog

vCash: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
This Friday and Saturday yup

Old
01-08-2014, 03:58 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Morrissey AND Draisaitl
Potential future Jets Morrissey and Draisaitl

Old
01-08-2014, 07:41 PM
jetkarma

Quote:

[/B]
The latest review on Copp , so who doesn't have him in their Jets top 5 prospects now?

He is on mine .

He really played well and showed the type of game you can easily project successfully at the next level . Hope Michigan can go on a long playoff run , the more he plays the better he is getting.

Old
01-08-2014, 08:27 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

I don't. I like Copp and he's increased his value...
I had him at 24 in my top 25 under 25 (I prefer rating system by age over "prospects") and he's probably jumped up to the 12-16 range...

I still got Morrissey, Petan, Lowry, Lodge, Lipon, Kosmachuk, and a few others a bit ahead.

Closed Thread