HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Parker update

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2003, 09:50 PM
PatrickRoy33

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to PatrickRoy33 Send a message via AIM to PatrickRoy33 Send a message via MSN to PatrickRoy33 Send a message via Yahoo to PatrickRoy33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane
I say he was misused, because he was. If another team's tough guy was roughing up soem of the softer skilled Avs forwards, Parker rode the pine. If a challenge during a heated rivalry matchup was thrown, Parker was told to avoid a fight. I'm sorry, but I can understand people taking Worrell over Parker for being a better hockey player, but don't tell me that Granato and mainly Hartley used him properly as an enforcer even. Because they didn't.
Maybe thats a sign of Parkers REAL ability....he's going to be the same slow non checking player in San Jose....I still see too much Tony Twist in him....great fighter with no skill....

Old
09-30-2003, 10:00 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

The thing is though ... in Twister's 2-5 minutes per game, he was put out in situations where he could actually enforce. Parker was almost always put out in the first period only to tail off in the last two (and often times not seeing any time in either of the two).

The Blues made people scared to take a run when Twist was on the bench. The Avalanche never were able to do that even though Parker is arguably one of the strongest players (upper body-wise) ever in the NHL.

Old
09-30-2003, 10:07 PM
PatrickRoy33

Send a message via ICQ to PatrickRoy33 Send a message via AIM to PatrickRoy33 Send a message via MSN to PatrickRoy33 Send a message via Yahoo to PatrickRoy33
Quote:
The thing is though ... in Twister's 2-5 minutes per game, he was put out in situations where he could actually enforce. Parker was almost always put out in the first period only to tail off in the last two (and often times not seeing any time in either of the two).

The Blues made people scared to take a run when Twist was on the bench. The Avalanche never were able to do that even though Parker is arguably one of the strongest players (upper body-wise) ever in the NHL.
I agree about Parkers strength, but even in his 5-8 minuets compared to Twists 2-5, he never overly pursued anyone but Brashear, unless you count Burnett in the AHL....he picked up his game, fight wise a little when Granato took over, but his hand was also injured for most of the season....

Twist got on the ice, unless the other enforcer was out there, everyone knew they were safe for the same reason they do when Parkers out there....it's like having a 2 legged pitbull, sure they're vicious, but not if you can just walk around them....

Old
09-30-2003, 11:01 PM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRoy33
The question is, has anyone seen a motivated Worrell yet?

Didn't mean to imply you were, was just stating that todays heavys are very easily overrated....
Worrell had no reason to not be motivated. He played for an awful team, and he had all the freedom in the world to do what he wanted to do with Florida. I don't think we'll see much of a change in Worrell coming to Florida.

The change we'll see is Parker in San Jose. It can only be good for the guy. If he still doesn't show what he is made out of there, then I guess it is safe to call the guy a bust. But I refuse to say that just yet.

Yes, I agree. Heavyweights are often overrated these days. I just wanted to make it clear that I didn't consider either Parker or Worrell the "champ". The last real "champ" IMO is still Probert. And unfortunately I don't think we'll ever see another one like him...

Old
10-01-2003, 12:43 AM
_Del_

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordichuk_24
Yes, I agree. Heavyweights are often overrated these days. I just wanted to make it clear that I didn't consider either Parker or Worrell the "champ". The last real "champ" IMO is still Probert. And unfortunately I don't think we'll ever see another one like him...
In terms of a combination of fighting prowess and real hockey talent, Probert was simply amazing compared to anything out there today... Even though he played for the hated Wings for most of his career, I was actually pretty excited when the Hawks signed him...

Old
10-01-2003, 01:08 AM
Hordichuk_24

True. But even besides his hockey skill, we will never ever see such a dominating fighter ever again, IMO. Especially during his prime with the Wings.

Old
10-01-2003, 01:39 AM
Golden Foppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordichuk_24
He actually uses it unlike most big enforcers. He doesn't have much punching power at all. In fact he is known by a lot of fight fans as a "pillow puncher".
When I see him at the Avs "kick off" luncheon next Thurs. I'll make sure to tell him that ****** bags like you think he has no punching power. Hopefully that will motivate him.

P.S.

I'd bet that "pillow puncher" would beat your a**

Old
10-01-2003, 01:46 AM
Golden Foppa

Quote:
Well there hasn't been a real champ in the NHL since the Twister. Laraque could probably get it, but he's too uninterested and really doesn't strike fear in the hearts of ... anyone; he's too nice.
I disagree. I think Laraque is the heavy weight champ of the NHL until someone beats him down. And I think he does strike fear in the hearts of many because he can not only play a power forward role , but he can also kick pretty much anyone's a**.

Old
10-01-2003, 02:19 AM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenfoppa94
When I see him at the Avs "kick off" luncheon next Thurs. I'll make sure to tell him that ****** bags like you think he has no punching power. Hopefully that will motivate him.

P.S.

Oh quit taking everything so damn literally. Did I say that I could kick his ass??? Quit putting words in my mouth.

The fact remains compared to most fighters Peter Worrell DOES NOT have many KO's or TKO's for that matter. While just about every other enforcer does. Coincidence? Maybe. But I don't think so. The guy lacks the killer punch that guys like Parker has. He is still nonetheless a good enforcer. Always does his job. That is all you can really ask for I guess.

Old
10-01-2003, 06:19 AM
PatrickRoy33

Quote:

P.S.

Pillow Bitter,

Who has he EVER KO'D or even TKO'D for that matter? Take your time, theres alot of his fights out there, but you'll have to go through almost ALL of them, to find maybe ONE.

Old
10-01-2003, 06:22 AM
PatrickRoy33

Quote:
I disagree. I think Laraque is the heavy weight champ of the NHL until someone beats him down. And I think he does strike fear in the hearts of many because he can not only play a power forward role , but he can also kick pretty much anyone's a**.
You have to BEAT someone and be consistant to hold the belt....he's had numerous fights with Matt Johnson and Scott Parker, which always turn into hugging matches, he hugs all his opponents that are his size and opens up against all the guys smaller or weaker than himself....thats not a chAmp....thats a chUmp....

Old
10-01-2003, 07:02 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
You have to BEAT someone and be consistant to hold the belt....he's had numerous fights with Matt Johnson and Scott Parker, which always turn into hugging matches, he hugs all his opponents that are his size and opens up against all the guys smaller or weaker than himself....thats not a chAmp....thats a chUmp....
Exactly ... that's precisely the reason that there hasn't been a champ since Twist. Mainly, you can blame the downfall of fighting in the league, but since Laraque seems to be unmotivated to get involved in a heavyweight scrap everytime someone is on the ice, he can't be considered a champ. He's strong, he can hit, he can play, but when it comes down to it, he just doesn't have any significant fights with any frequency.

oh and btw - the next person to toss an insult or talk about beating another poster's arse in anyway gets their post subjected to editting and/or deletion. There's your warning boys.

Old
10-01-2003, 07:13 AM
Gumballhead

I can't believe anyone thinks that Worrell doesn't punch hard. All the fights of his I've seen were kind of frightening in the way he tossed 'em.

Old
10-01-2003, 07:17 AM
PatrickRoy33

Hand speed has nothing to do with punch power....

Twist never avenged his losses the way Probert did....I still say there hasn't been a champ since Probert.

Old
10-01-2003, 10:43 AM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:
Exactly. And besides that, Laraque lacks the heart and desire to become the champ. He doesn't fight nearly enough....

Old
10-02-2003, 06:55 AM
sweetcad

vCash:
I will continue to support Scott no matter what team he's with. I don't think Hartley gave him enough ice-time and it seemed he had it in for Scott. No, Parker is not a great skater...he's too slow but I think, given enough ice-time, his other abilities will improve. I know he will do better with the Sharks....he's doing pretty well in preseason so far!!!

As for his fighting ability....go Big Man!!!

Closed Thread