HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets @ Sens | Jan. 2nd 2014 7:30pm | SNET-E, TSN-JETS | Much Quality

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2014, 09:40 AM
OgieO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkUncleDenis View Post
I have no evidence, but I get the feeling this has been the case a few times this year. I feel like Murray has had a few wtf moments up in the press box.
I'll admit that Murray's comments on PW raised my eyebrows the other night.He was interviewed in an intermission and basically said he'd like to see PW out there more often. I want to say the exact quote was "if we could get Patty out there more often". It was in reference to possibly not needing another PMD with the addition of Ceci.

His wording was a little surprising, he didn't say PW had to be better or needed time to develop, he said he wanted him out there more often. I agree with him.

Old
01-02-2014, 09:56 AM
Liliaceae
Sens ❤

Go Sens Go!

Old
01-02-2014, 10:07 AM
Chaosmonkey

I love the DDT

Old
01-02-2014, 10:08 AM
Whippet

Quote:
Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 49m
Cowen-Karlsson; Methot-Ceci and Corvo-Phillips. No Neil. Spezza still nursing hip injury. #Sens

Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 50m
89-93-9; 16-7-6; 14-15-61; 28-44-22 are the forwards. #Sens

Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 2m
Wiercioch and Gryba are scratched tonight. #Sens
Feeling worried about seeing Corvo and Phillips playing together. Feels like they will cost us at least one goal.

Would rather of seen Gryba and/or Wiercioch in.

Old
01-02-2014, 10:10 AM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Lidstrom actually started doing this concistently, but the difference is: he actually covered his guy while giving his linemates great pointers about who to take and where to go.

Phillips can hardly even back-skate and point at the same time, no less cover his man or give his defence partner solid instructions.
I forget against which team but Phillips was skating backwards and decided to point at someone. The puck got passed through Phillips because Phillips wasn't focusing on the puck but instead was focusing on pointing at someone. I mean the puck got slowly fed through his legs. Other team scored.

Shouldn't Phillips make sure he's handling his own guy/area Before trying to point to the opposition to give his teammates tasks?

Old
01-02-2014, 10:11 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

LOLOLOLOLOL, a player that communicates with other playerzzz on ze ice.

Hate a Veteran express is now boarding. Choo choo mutha****a

Old
01-02-2014, 10:12 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

I wouldn't mind seeing Cowen - Karlsson, Methot - Ceci, Wiercioch - Gryba on a consistent basis. That said Phillips still brings good things to the team but it may be becoming a numbers game.

I do agree that Phillips can still be useful in a more limited role for the team though. Having him as a 5/6 guy is not a bad thing. I still don't trust Wiercioch defensively.

Old
01-02-2014, 10:14 AM
Smeddy
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkUncleDenis View Post
I have no evidence, but I get the feeling this has been the case a few times this year. I feel like Murray has had a few wtf moments up in the press box.
It's moneyball all over again.

Old
01-02-2014, 10:16 AM
Smeddy
Intangibles

****, I really wish we would have called another bingo player up instead of playing kassian for 3 minutes and ruining any chance Pageau has at playing a good game.

Old
01-02-2014, 10:18 AM
Boobie Miles

Corvo has been horrible lately.I'm always nervous when he's on the ice

Old
01-02-2014, 10:20 AM
GimmeMyJetpack
Classless.

The only way Wiercioch is going to get better is by playing. Hello does the coaching staff not see what happened with Cowen?

The decisions by the coaching staff continue to be mind boggling. Corvo is wildly inconsistent, sometimes great and other times awful. There is no long term benefit in playing him over a similar young player.

Old
01-02-2014, 10:30 AM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
LOLOLOLOLOL, a player that communicates with other playerzzz on ze ice.

Hate a Veteran express is now boarding. Choo choo mutha****a
Communication is good. The good thing about talking is you can still use your legs and arms while talking.

Phillips will point. Causing him to not be able to put 2 hands on his stick quickly which caused him to miss a puck that slid by him that cause a goal.

Our barn is quiet. I can yell to someone 4 sections away and they'll hear me despite 100s of people in between us.

Why can't phillips yell? "Take Crosby" instead of pointing to Crosby while a puck gets fed through his legs because he's staring and pointing at Crosby while not covering anybody himself.

Don't take that for someone who hates vets or hates communication. I hate dumb plays. Standing in no mans land pointing at players isn't helping.

And then there's the question. Why is old deteriorating phillips out on the ice against Crosby.

Old
01-02-2014, 10:32 AM
ILLESToO
Forever red & black

FWIW, Garrioch on Twitter is saying that Condra is with Greening and Smith and Stone is on the 4th line. I hope he's wrong, Condra is awful and deserves nothing more than 4th line and PK.

But knowing Mac Stone will be on the 4th line burried with Kassian just like Pageau, poor guys, sure they are playing in the NHL which is sick but sometimes it must be annoying... well! we have a good streak let's hope we can keep it up.

Also hope that Stone gets on the 3rd line quickly haha

I'll miss my first of the season tonight, but I believe, GO SENS GO!

Old
01-02-2014, 10:32 AM
Allaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeMyJetpack View Post
The only way Wiercioch is going to get better is by playing. Hello does the coaching staff not see what happened with Cowen?

The decisions by the coaching staff continue to be mind boggling. Corvo is wildly inconsistent, sometimes great and other times awful. There is no long term benefit in playing him over a similar young player.
Exactly should be developing Weir. MacLeans treatment of the young guys

Old
01-02-2014, 10:35 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD19 View Post
FWIW, Garrioch on Twitter is saying that Condra is with Greening and Smith and Stone is on the 4th line. I hope he's wrong, Condra is awful and deserves nothing more than 4th line and PK.

But knowing Mac Stone will be on the 4th line burried with Kassian just like Pageau, poor guys, sure they are playing in the NHL which is sick but sometimes it must be annoying... well! we have a good streak let's hope we can keep it up.

Also hope that Stone gets on the 3rd line quickly haha

I'll miss my first of the season tonight, but I believe, GO SENS GO!
Did you watch the last game?

Neil went down and Condra took his spot with Smith and still took a regular shift on the 4th line as Maclean double shifted him. He was one of our best players all night.

Old
01-02-2014, 10:35 AM
83DIZ65

Heres my thoughts on why Corvos in. They know there up against a team that will take penaltys and that the sens can out skate. That being said its a good game to use corvo wouldn't be at all surprised if he gets an assist or two in the game they need to get his stats up so they can possibly move him for a more usefull asset at the deadline teams are always looking for veteran puck moving depth d at that time of year so put corvo in when he has a chance to shine. maybe his stock goes up.

At any rate I fully expect a Sens win. and have a feeling Conacher Zibby Milo will have alot to do with it.

Also back to from my first point I too would much rather see weir or grybs in there instead of corvo but I figure they need to move him or Phillips and I dont see them moving Phillips first sooooo... gotta boost corvos stock.

Old
01-02-2014, 10:36 AM
GimmeMyJetpack
Classless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
Communication is good. The good thing about talking is you can still use your legs and arms while talking.

Phillips will point. Causing him to not be able to put 2 hands on his stick quickly which caused him to miss a puck that slid by him that cause a goal.

Our barn is quiet. I can yell to someone 4 sections away and they'll hear me despite 100s of people in between us.

Why can't phillips yell? "Take Crosby" instead of pointing to Crosby while a puck gets fed through his legs because he's staring and pointing at Crosby while not covering anybody himself.

Don't take that for someone who hates vets or hates communication. I hate dumb plays. Standing in no mans land pointing at players isn't helping.
The fact is the point really isn't anywhere near as big of a deal as you all are making it. Maybe once a year it might cause a bad goal...maybe. The point on Marchand was him thinking the backchecker would be able to reach him...or maybe he felt the pass was the more dangerous options? Maybe he knows Marchand is not having a great year and would likely pass before shooting so he takes it away and hedges that Andy will make the save.

It's great to look at hockey plays with hindsight, remember it's a very fast game, decisions have to be made quickly and players aren't perfect.

I have no problem with the pointing it tells multiple people on the ice exactly what he intends to do defensively allowing for everyone else to react accordingly.

Old
01-02-2014, 10:37 AM
GimmeMyJetpack
Classless.

Quote:

Neil went down and Condra took his spot with Smith and still took a regular shift on the 4th line as Maclean double shifted him. He was one of our best players all night.
This. Condra completely changed the efficiency of that line.

Old
01-02-2014, 10:40 AM
ILLESToO
Forever red & black

Quote:

Yep I did, one game doesn't change 40 for me, many times he also couldn't clear the zone last game, as usual, causing pressure on us that Andy managed to handle perfectly. Think of me tonight when he sucks again

Old
01-02-2014, 10:50 AM
Smeddy
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD19 View Post
Yep I did, one game doesn't change 40 for me, many times he also couldn't clear the zone last game, as usual, causing pressure on us that Andy managed to handle perfectly. Think of me tonight when he sucks again
Are you confusing Condra with Kassian?

Old
01-02-2014, 10:51 AM
83DIZ65

also wanna add as long as Spezzas out we will keep winning.

Old
01-02-2014, 10:52 AM
Hank Chinaski

vCash: 50
I thought "Many lulz" would go to Ondrej Pavelec. Montoya has been outstanding for the Jets this season.

Looking forward to seeing how our young guns stack up against Ceci and Zibanejad.

Old
01-02-2014, 10:58 AM
Xspyrit

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
well in his defense (based off your description because Phillips has pointed at a lot of things), he did cover the open man, perhaps executed poorly, but the pointing is so that another teammate has that guy in the event of a rebound.
This. Most of the time, it's for a situation that could happen but not necessarily what happens. But people have made a new paranoia and a "storm in a glass of water" with this. Amusing.

Phillips pointing is an attempt to help all those young inexperienced guys who a lot of times have no idea where to go on the ice (particularly young forwards). It's called communication and lol at people who think it should work every time or that it would work better if there was no attempt.

And also lol at comparing Phillips with Lidstrom, who is a top-3 D-man in history

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrayedd View Post
Haha I remember this, weirdly it kind of seems to be the play with this team now defending 2v1s take the pass option away and allow the breakaway attempt...still seems strange to me
All goalies prefer to concentrate on the shooter than the pass. All those goals I get scored on because I have to worry too much about the pass option. When I know my D-man is doing his job, I can now stop the shooter instead of giving up a five hole goal because I was semi-focussed on the pass. Hesitation is not good in hockey. Kills you every damn time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derivation View Post
why is there so much hate on Phillips? Yeah he has been playing sub par this season, however taking him off our D core makes us a easier team to play against.
If Phillips has been sub-par defensively, Methot has been too and Karlsson has been horrible then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
The problem with Phillips is simple.

Everyone agrees that Cowen and Methot are #1 and #2 on the depth chart of left side defenseman (the order of who is 1 and who is 2 doesn't matter for this argument).

That leaves one spot on the left side of the defense. While you may argue that Phillips is better than Wier at this point in time (though I suspect the gap isn't large whichever side you take on that argument), the team probably benefits more from Wier's puck moving ability on that third pairing more than Phillips play down low in the defensive zone.

If that's the case, I want Wier on his much more comfortable and effective left side, especially considering that he's extremely mediocre to awful on the right side, which leaves the last spot on the right side defense open (assuming Karlsson and Ceci on the top two spots in this argument). I'm not enamored with Phillips on the right side (and you see that no coach is either, considering how fast he is moved OFF that spot every time he is tried there - from being tried at that spot to partner Redden onward), so regardless of how good or not bad Phillips is, we don't really have a spot for him on this defense.
It's exactly this. Great post.

Sens decision should be moving forward... Re-sign Phillips and trade Wiercioch for something of value OR keep Wier and let Phillips go. Or if we re-sign Phillips, would he accept a "rover" spot, like plays for injuries on the left side or when young guys need to sit? Or dress 7 D-men and give all the main PK minutes to Phillips? Or just use him as the 3rd pair RD... But both Gryba and Boro can do that for cheaper, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeddy View Post
Are you confusing Condra with Kassian?
No, Condra has been turning the puck over in the defensive zone more than ever this year. Really not as reliable as he has been the last few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizimal View Post
also wanna add as long as Spezzas out we will keep winning.
Anyone else hate those "spit in the air" karma jynx posts?

Last edited by Xspyrit: 01-02-2014 at 11:12 AM.
Old
01-02-2014, 12:40 PM
allan5oh
Adv stats blowhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Montoya
You do know Montoya is probably the hottest tender in the league right? 2 GA in the last 3 games, .934 sv% 6th in the league only two goalies above him have played more games.

Old
01-02-2014, 12:44 PM
Kezia
egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
You do know Montoya is probably the hottest tender in the league right? 2 GA in the last 3 games, .934 sv% 6th in the league only two goalies above him have played more games.
Oh wow 3 games.

Closed Thread