HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL IV

Old
07-09-2014, 02:14 PM
Byrddog

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Add in an aging Hossa, and that total cap hit is over $26 mil for the 3 players.
I looked at Hossa, thinking they may move him but hes 35 and has almost 24 mil left on his contract in real dollars. He probably gets the same attention that VLC has gotten if shopped.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 02:43 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
I looked at Hossa, thinking they may move him but hes 35 and has almost 24 mil left on his contract in real dollars. He probably gets the same attention that VLC has gotten if shopped.
I haven't looked, but I'll assume he has a NTC or NMC? No way anyone takes on that contract, anyway. One other note, Saad is up for RFA next off season and Seabrook UFA 2 years down the road.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 03:24 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I haven't looked, but I'll assume he has a NTC or NMC? No way anyone takes on that contract, anyway. One other note, Saad is up for RFA next off season and Seabrook UFA 2 years down the road.
I've never been a big Seabrook fan. For a defensive defenseman, he sure has a lot of brain farts, more than Hamhuis used to make...

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 10:07 PM
Ranskyre

vCash: 350
Quote:
According to Capgeek, Hossa does not have a NMC/NTC.

Looking to 2015-2016, Chicago has 10 forwards and 3 defensemen signed. Assuming a 8.4% increase in cap (average increase since '05, skipping the '12-'13 season) that gives them $9 mil in cap space. Signing Oduya, Rozszival, and Leddy paying them the exact same as this year, leaves Chicago with $763,000 for 3 forwards and a defenseman.

I would say Hossa will definitely have a trade target on him. But, if you thought VLC's contract was bad, you won't like Hossa's ($5.275 for six years after this season).

Ranskyre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 07:47 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I hope Hossa isn't an option.

Old
07-10-2014, 11:57 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I hope Hossa isn't an option.
Chicago should've bought him out, that may come back to bite them in the ass

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 12:06 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe T Choker View Post
Chicago should've bought him out, that may come back to bite them in the ass
Especially with the 2 shiny new contracts signed yesterday.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 12:18 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Could we trade for him and then buy him out after a year or so?

Old
07-10-2014, 12:19 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Would have to be a regular buy out, not compliance. Compliance buy outs are over until maybe the next lockout.

Old
07-10-2014, 12:26 PM
Byrddog

Quote:

If he would waive to come here and we kept him 3 years his buyout at that point would be roughly 5.5 mil if my confluted figures of the complex buyout formula is correct.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 02:44 PM
Preds33

Horachek hired as assistant coach by Toronto.

Old
07-23-2014, 10:40 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

I now want zero part of Ryan O' Reilly, he's going to walk in two years, can't work on an extension

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2014, 10:54 AM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe T Choker View Post
I now want zero part of Ryan O' Reilly, he's going to walk in two years, can't work on an extension

Well you could work on an extension, but he's likely to not want to talk. COL should have given him a 3 or 4 year deal. 2 was stupid.

Quote:
Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC
O'Reilly breakdown is 5.8 and 6.2. Takes him to UFA, but COL will be eligible to re-sign him next July 1. Kreider is 2.35 and 2.6.

Last edited by Preds33: 07-23-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old
07-23-2014, 12:05 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

At least they avoided arbitration, unlike Poile/Weber.

I'd love O'Reilly, but not on a 2 year to UFA contract.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2014, 12:44 PM
Privy
Unregistered User

So first O'Reilly signs a two year KHL deal during the lockout while having issues getting a new contract with the Avs done. He gets injured in Russia, terminates the contract and trained with the London Knights. He's still unable to get a contract done with the Avs (while missing 19 NHL games) and signs an offer sheet with the Calgary Flames. The Avs match and O'Reilly returns to the NHL.

This off season he seems to have run in to the same issues with the Avs. He refuses to sign and decides to go to arbitration. O'Reilly has talent, but I want no part of him unless he's signed for 8 years. I do not want to negotiate with this guy. Whether it was the Avs or O'Reilly causing all the hold ups, I don't know and I don't care. It looks bad on O'Reilly and I want nothing to do with a possible situation like this. Expect the Avs to trade O'Reilly in the second year of his contract. Hopefully the Preds stay away.

Privy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2014, 12:50 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privy View Post
So first O'Reilly signs a two year KHL deal during the lockout while having issues getting a new contract with the Avs done. He gets injured in Russia, terminates the contract and trained with the London Knights. He's still unable to get a contract done with the Avs (while missing 19 NHL games) and signs an offer sheet with the Calgary Flames. The Avs match and O'Reilly returns to the NHL.

This off season he seems to have run in to the same issues with the Avs. He refuses to sign and decides to go to arbitration. O'Reilly has talent, but I want no part of him unless he's signed for 8 years. I do not want to negotiate with this guy. Whether it was the Avs or O'Reilly causing all the hold ups, I don't know and I don't care. It looks bad on O'Reilly and I want nothing to do with a possible situation like this. Expect the Avs to trade O'Reilly in the second year of his contract. Hopefully the Preds stay away.
This part is not true. The Avs did not qualify him. They took him to arbitration instead. ROR did not elect the arbitration.

Old
07-23-2014, 01:23 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
Well you could work on an extension, but he's likely to not want to talk. COL should have given him a 3 or 4 year deal. 2 was stupid.
For me, 2 says that Colorado realizes O'Reilly is not going to fit long-term and gives them time to trade him while avoiding having to go through negotiations AGAIN next summer. I'm with Joe T and Privy, this guy is a pain in the ass and I'd have no interest in bringing him to Nashville.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2014, 01:31 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

So he should have taken a bigger pay cut? Then would he be a "team guy" and not such a pain in the ass?

Avs took him to arbitration so they wouldn't have to match an offer sheet, so they wouldn't have to pay him fairmarket value.

Old
07-23-2014, 01:34 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
So he should have taken a bigger pay cut? Then would he be a "team guy" and not such a pain in the ass?
Exactly. We don't hold ill will towards Weber for being just as much of a pain in the ass. It's business and O'Reilly's camp is playing hard ball.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2014, 01:41 PM
Privy
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
This part is not true. The Avs did not qualify him. They took him to arbitration instead. ROR did not elect the arbitration.
You're right, it was the Avs that elected to go to arbitration. That's my mistake, but there's a good reason they did select arbitration. Considering he rejected his last QO which lead to his KHL contract and offer sheet, I think the Avs went the arbitration route to avoid another lengthy negotiation process with O'Reilly. The Avs, or whoever trades for him, are going to have a hell of a time getting his signature on a contract in two seasons unless they offer him whatever he wants.

Old
07-23-2014, 01:48 PM
Privy
Unregistered User

Quote:

Avs took him to arbitration so they wouldn't have to match an offer sheet, so they wouldn't have to pay him fairmarket value.
I have no problem with a player wanting to be paid what they should be making, but this is the second time there's been issues signing this guy. This is the same guy who missed 19 NHL games to prove a point. I wouldn't be surprised if he would have rejected his QO again and either signed an offer sheet or used the same tactics he used last time (KHL or holding out in to the NHL season).

Old
07-23-2014, 01:50 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

They didn't make him a qualifying offer this year.

They filed for arbitration to protect from offersheets.

And on the flip side, this is the second time they've tried to pay him undermarket value.

Old
07-23-2014, 01:59 PM
Preds33

Quote:

And on the flip side, this is the second time they've tried to pay him undermarket value.
I agree with this and this is my view on it.

COL has an issue of having too many quality forwards. Each deserves a high dollar amount. It appears that they try to pay them equally so that they don't go over the cap. The problem is some a willing to take a discount and some aren't.

Old
07-23-2014, 02:05 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:

They didn't undercut him the last time around, he was looking to cash in after one good season, and I don't blame Colorado for not giving him more than they did. They may be this time around. He thinks he's a first line center, Avs clearly think he's not. I trend toward their side, as I think he's a good to very good second line center, but not an elite-level player.

I maintain it would be a poor move to acquire him, guy's going to whoever dumps the most cash in his lap in two years, and I see plenty of teams that would offer more stupid money than we would.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2014, 02:09 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
They didn't undercut him the last time around, he was looking to cash in after one good season, and I don't blame Colorado for not giving him more than they did. They may be this time around. He thinks he's a first line center, Avs clearly think he's not. I trend toward their side, as I think he's a good to very good second line center, but not an elite-level player.

I maintain it would be a poor move to acquire him, guy's going to whoever dumps the most cash in his lap in two years, and I see plenty of teams that would offer more stupid money than we would.
Calgary's offer was higher than the Avs offer was it not? So Calgary's offer was the going market rate for ROR.