Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Trade Deadline Thread

Old
01-02-2014, 01:19 PM
FLAMES666

vCash: 1800
Official Trade Deadline Thread

Thought I would start this up now as we will most likely see a few trades before the Olympic break, and Burke has a history of making his trades before the deadline. So whats our team going to look like by seasons end? What other big moves around the league will we see?

UFA/RFA available (caphit):
Cammalleri (6million)
Stajan (3.5million)
Stempniak (2.5million)
Galiardi (1.25million)
Jones (650k)
Butler (1.7million)
Russell (1.5million)
Smith (775k)

Specualtion/Rumors of who could be available:
Hudler (4 million cap hit through 2015-16)
Backlund (1.5 million cap hit through 2014-15)
Baertschi (894,167k cap hit through 2014-15)

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 02:44 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 150
Trade Bart to Toronto for Kadri.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 03:13 PM
Volica
Southern AB Dandy

vCash: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Chris Butler View Post
Don't think Toronto would feel comfortable running
Bozak
Holland

As their 1,2 centers. That will easily be the worst combination going into the playoffs.

Volica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 03:18 PM
herashak

vCash: 50
how long is bolland out for

herashak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 03:23 PM
Volica
Southern AB Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by herashak View Post
how long is bolland out for
This he just started creeping around on his own(no crutches or cane). Still seems minimum month or two away honestly. He'll be back this season; which if good for the Leafs; and would make Kadri more expendable.

No idea though, if they get him back in Feb, then it'd be okay, but like March... late March, that's playing a long time with a couple third line centers as your top two (ask Calgary).

Old
01-02-2014, 03:33 PM
Volica
Southern AB Dandy

I think:

Cleary Cammy gets traded. He's been wanting out of Calgary since the summer, has remained professional, but needed to produce in order to create a market for himself (which he has done). He's a special playoff performer in this league. Hoping Flames really rail-road a team.

Stemps should get traded. There's no point in keeping him here. He isn't a Burke player, and guys like Byron kill penalties and bring more energy to the game than Stempy does. I don't think he holds an extremely high value, he is so damn streaky and has cooled off since the injury, that it's painful to watch at times.

Stajan is a great trade piece that most people don't realize. Going into the deadline, having a good third line center who can win faceoffs, and kil penalties goes a long way. I honestly think that a contender would be willing to part with a good pick or decent prospect for Stajan if they thought they had a chance to win it all.

Butler could go. I think he's played himself onto the radar of other teams as of late. Especially with Gio then Wideman going down (especially the Gio time). Again, to a contender looking to stabilize their 2nd pairing or bottom pairing.

Russell could be an incredible trade chip. I like him, but I don't know where he fits into the defence going forward. He's smaller, not overly physical, but doesn't make mistakes and has a sick offensive game. If the return is too enticing, I see the Flames looking to move him... If not, time to resign him, because he's just hitting his prime... and looking like he's finding his old WJC/CHL days.

Old
01-02-2014, 03:37 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volica View Post
I think:

Cleary Cammy gets traded. He's been wanting out of Calgary since the summer, has remained professional, but needed to produce in order to create a market for himself (which he has done). He's a special playoff performer in this league. Hoping Flames really rail-road a team.

Stemps should get traded. There's no point in keeping him here. He isn't a Burke player, and guys like Byron kill penalties and bring more energy to the game than Stempy does. I don't think he holds an extremely high value, he is so damn streaky and has cooled off since the injury, that it's painful to watch at times.

Stajan is a great trade piece that most people don't realize. Going into the deadline, having a good third line center who can win faceoffs, and kil penalties goes a long way. I honestly think that a contender would be willing to part with a good pick or decent prospect for Stajan if they thought they had a chance to win it all.

Butler could go. I think he's played himself onto the radar of other teams as of late. Especially with Gio then Wideman going down (especially the Gio time). Again, to a contender looking to stabilize their 2nd pairing or bottom pairing.

Russell could be an incredible trade chip. I like him, but I don't know where he fits into the defence going forward. He's smaller, not overly physical, but doesn't make mistakes and has a sick offensive game. If the return is too enticing, I see the Flames looking to move him... If not, time to resign him, because he's just hitting his prime... and looking like he's finding his old WJC/CHL days.
You do know that teams need veterans right?

I'd prefer not to be like the oilers, trade everyone over 20, and tank for 5 years. Keeping Stajan, Russell and Stemps would be beneficial for the team long term.

Janks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 03:44 PM
Goodlad

vCash: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janks View Post

I'd prefer not to be like the oilers, trade everyone over 20, and tank for 5 years. Keeping Stajan, Russell and Stemps would be beneficial for the team long term.
That would still leave us with Gio, Wideman, Hudler, D. Jones, Glencross and Smid as veterans. Backlund is probably getting close to being considered a vet at this point too.

Goodlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 03:48 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
I think:

I agree with everything said here. I think we should keep a few vets but that we should be looking to move UFA's and guys that can be replaced from within.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 03:58 PM
nogger
ploffs?

Hoping we keep Stajan. Love his game, and he seems to really be finding his own (especially on a bad team). We could probably get a second sure, but we really need some sort of center depth going into next year. Backlund and Monahan would be a disaster (at least for the time being)

nogger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 04:01 PM
Flames Fanatic
Mediocre

vCash: 1127
Quote:

We still have plenty of veteran players on the team for the last quarter of the season. I highly doubt Burke will go into next season without adding a few veteran UFA guys or make a few trades.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 04:11 PM
JohnnyGoodDro
haatley

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Chris Butler View Post
Um hell no.
kadri is a selfish player. Cocky. Mouthy. The last thing this team needs is a guy like him.

JohnnyGoodDro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 04:19 PM
Volica
Southern AB Dandy

Quote:

Well, yes.
That's why guys like Hudler, Giordano, Wideman, Jones, Glencross, Big Ern and Ladislav Smid are still under contract, considered veterans and shouldn't be moved unless the deal is too good to be true is presented.

It's not like Calgary's going to void itself of anyone over 28 to play key roles like Edmonton... It's just about getting something for nothing honestly.

In addition, in the off-season, we will definitely be active in the UFA market. Guys like Cally out of NY, Paul Stastny out of Colorado and Mason Raymond out of TO will all be Burke targets honestly; this team will not be void of a veteran presence as it continues to develop its youth.

Old
01-02-2014, 04:22 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogger View Post
Hoping we keep Stajan. Love his game, and he seems to really be finding his own (especially on a bad team). We could probably get a second sure, but we really need some sort of center depth going into next year. Backlund and Monahan would be a disaster (at least for the time being)
I doubt we enter the year with Monahan and Backlund as the top 2 if we move Stajan. I fully expect Burke/new Gm to make a big splash this offseason. If Stastny makes it to FA I could easily see him being our #1.

Old
01-02-2014, 04:29 PM
Volica
Southern AB Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
I doubt we enter the year with Monahan and Backlund as the top 2 if we move Stajan. I fully expect Burke/new Gm to make a big splash this offseason. If Stastny makes it to FA I could easily see him being our #1.
This.
Isn't it also ****ed, if we did get him, that we finally get a capable center long after the reasons we truly needed one have long since left this team.

Four Years ago:

Tanguay - Stastny - Iginla
Glencross - Jokinen - Bourque

That would have been more than enough to get us a few more points, and back into the playoffs honestly.

Old
01-02-2014, 04:52 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
This.
Isn't it also ****ed, if we did get him, that we finally get a capable center long after the reasons we truly needed one have long since left this team.

Four Years ago:

Tanguay - Stastny - Iginla
Glencross - Jokinen - Bourque

That would have been more than enough to get us a few more points, and back into the playoffs honestly.
I don't know what is more crazy, us getting an actual #1 center or the 2 of us agreeing on what the team should do

Old
01-02-2014, 06:00 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
UFA/RFA available (caphit):
Cammalleri (6million)
Stajan (3.5million)
Stempniak (2.5million)
Galiardi (1.25million)
Jones (650k)
Butler (1.7million)
Smith (775k)

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 06:36 PM
MarkGio

Who's buying and who's selling? Everyone is potentially a buyer except Buffalo, Florida
, Edmonton, Nashville, and Columbus?

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 06:54 PM
Anglesmith
Global Moderator
Y'no like wadda guy

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Who's buying and who's selling? Everyone is potentially a buyer except Buffalo, Florida
I would say there's a chance Edmonton is a buyer just because they really have very little left to sell, and because their next step forward is not going to be through the draft. I wouldn't be surprised if they move their first rounder this year, especially if they can get on some kind of a roll going up to the deadline, even though they aren't contending this year. Their organization needs to make moves before their window of opportunity with their current core narrows.

Anglesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 07:00 PM
FLAMES666

vCash: 1800
Quote:

Yes we do but Burke will sign his own in the off season.

Quote:
I think:
Sucks he got injured as he won't be healthy until a week before deadline, I wouldn't be surprised if we just let him walk at the end of the year.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 07:01 PM
tyflames

vCash: 250
The less sellers there are the higher the demand from the buyers.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 07:07 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
I would bet Edmonton is going to make a trade (but I wouldn't label them as either a buyer or seller as they will be trying to make a big trade to change the culture of the team)

I also think that Columbus will only be moving Gaborik.

Old
01-02-2014, 07:15 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
I would bet Edmonton is going to make a trade (but I wouldn't label them as either a buyer or seller as they will be trying to make a big trade to change the culture of the team)

I also think that Columbus will only be moving Gaborik.
Oilers would move Hemsky if they could

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 07:18 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Oilers would move Hemsky if they could
True but I wouldn't really call that selling so much as giving away.

Last edited by TheHudlinator: 01-02-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old
01-02-2014, 07:28 PM
Flames Fanatic
Mediocre

vCash: 1127
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Sucks he got injured as he won't be healthy until a week before deadline, I wouldn't be surprised if we just let him walk at the end of the year.
I really don't understand why people are so complacent with the idea of Russel walking for nothing. He's been one of the few bright spots this season. The pairing of Brodie and Russel has been amazing considering their stature. Hartley has given them some rough matchups and they still have done quite well.

That's not even touching on his huge goals and how he helps generate offense. I realize we may have a log jam down the road, but I'd rather keep him and if the day comes we have to trade him, so be it. But why let a young asset who wants to be here walk for nothing?

The rest of the list can go for all I'm concerned. Losing Cammy and Stajan will hurt but I highly doubt they are re-signing anyways.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote