HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Don Cherry & Coach's Corner 2013-14 Version | Part II

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2014, 08:59 PM
Ewan McGregor

vCash: 622
"nothing wrong with kissing guys"

Old
01-04-2014, 09:00 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
With how much Don likes Bieksa i can see both of them being on the Steve Wilkos show with Steve yelling at Don "You pervert get off my stage!!".

Old
01-05-2014, 05:54 AM
JetsFan815

vCash: 500
Cherry was more idiotic than usual with his conspiracy theory that Hockey Canada picked players from the Q for "political reasons". Clearly that is a desperate attempt at seeking attention (What's next? Cherry claiming that moonlanding was faked or Elvis is still alive ). Sad thing is that there are mouthbreathers out in the boondocks who probably believe every thing Cherry says and nod along.

Old
01-05-2014, 06:36 AM
BluPuk*
Canada 1st Leafs 2nd

I have to admit, even I don't think "political correctness" is part of the selection process. Fact is, we have so many good players here that unless you win you will always get second guessed on who you picked. Could we have taken other players? Sure we could have, but so what.

Old
01-05-2014, 09:48 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFan815 View Post
Cherry was more idiotic than usual with his conspiracy theory that Hockey Canada picked players from the Q for "political reasons". Clearly that is a desperate attempt at seeking attention (What's next? Cherry claiming that moonlanding was faked or Elvis is still alive ). Sad thing is that there are mouthbreathers out in the boondocks who probably believe every thing Cherry says and nod along.
If you don't think player location has nothing to do with the selection process, then you are extremely na´ve and also do not have much background into the actual selection process.

In fact, most Hockey Canada representatives would not even argue that they try to do this. So it is not a conspiracy theory at all. At one time, the formula was to include at least one or maybe two US college players as well but they have backed off on that one in recent years.

It is not about "believing" anything. It is about knowing how the selection process works. It has nothing to do with political correctness, though, so on that we agree. They just try to assemble a cross-section of players from all across Canada. There is nothing sinister about suggesting that they do this. I think they would even acknowledge that they try to.

Old
01-05-2014, 12:20 PM
BluPuk*
Canada 1st Leafs 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
If you don't think player location has nothing to do with the selection process, then you are extremely na´ve and also do not have much background into the actual selection process.

In fact, most Hockey Canada representatives would not even argue that they try to do this. So it is not a conspiracy theory at all. At one time, the formula was to include at least one or maybe two US college players as well but they have backed off on that one in recent years.

It is not about "believing" anything. It is about knowing how the selection process works. It has nothing to do with political correctness, though, so on that we agree. They just try to assemble a cross-section of players from all across Canada. There is nothing sinister about suggesting that they do this. I think they would even acknowledge that they try to.
If that is the case, then I agree with Cherry. We need to field the absolute best 22 (or whatever the number is) players we have. The old days are gone now....

Old
01-05-2014, 01:27 PM
Drop The Mits
Toronto Blue Dingers

lol dons chirp about kypreos was hilarious

Old
01-05-2014, 01:31 PM
Unlimited Chequing
Hangin' in the dome

vCash: 5001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop The Mits View Post
lol dons chirp about kypreos was hilarious
What did he say?

Old
01-05-2014, 01:34 PM
Unlimited Chequing
Hangin' in the dome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan McGregor View Post
"nothing wrong with kissing guys"
When I heard him say that, I instantly thought of this

Old
01-05-2014, 02:23 PM
Drop The Mits
Toronto Blue Dingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited Chequing View Post
What did he say?
it was mcgrattons hit on alberts and don said something along the lines of "looks like kypreos laying there"

Old
01-05-2014, 02:31 PM
Unlimited Chequing
Hangin' in the dome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop The Mits View Post
it was mcgrattons hit on alberts and don said something along the lines of "looks like kypreos laying there"
Hahaha!!

Old
01-05-2014, 02:44 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluPuk View Post
If that is the case, then I agree with Cherry. We need to field the absolute best 22 (or whatever the number is) players we have. The old days are gone now....
If they did, then the players would be disproportionately taken from the west and Ontario with maybe one or two from Quebec, and then people would really be upset. It has worked out that way a couple of years when there were very few Q prospects, and Hockey Canada got an ear full.

Just look at how the posters lose it when Don says we should to do it that way.

The Q used to develop the best goalies, but now they don't even do that anymore.

Old
01-05-2014, 02:53 PM
pcruz

Excuse my ignorance, but weren't Crosby and Mackinnon both products of the QMJHL, from Rimousky and Halifax respectively?

I'm pretty sure there are more French-Canadians playing in the NHL than players from many European countries combined.

If the selection process were completely unbiased, many a player from the Q would be selected, and many of them would be the among the best players on the team on any given year.

Still, how you don't include the then top point producer of the OHL, I will never figure out.

Cherry has been harping on this team's selection since it was rumoured, and he has not changed his perspective on the fact that they brought the wrong group of players.

Would his group fare any better? We will never know, all we do know is that the group selected didn't get a medal.

Old
01-05-2014, 03:46 PM
Bluefan75

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcruz View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but weren't Crosby and Mackinnon both products of the QMJHL, from Rimousky and Halifax respectively?

I'm pretty sure there are more French-Canadians playing in the NHL than players from many European countries combined.

If the selection process were completely unbiased, many a player from the Q would be selected, and many of them would be the among the best players on the team on any given year.

Still, how you don't include the then top point producer of the OHL, I will never figure out.

Cherry has been harping on this team's selection since it was rumoured, and he has not changed his perspective on the fact that they brought the wrong group of players.

Would his group fare any better? We will never know, all we do know is that the group selected didn't get a medal.
A few problems here. For one, Crosby wasn't so much a "Q product" as luck of the draw. A generational talent who happened to be born in that area. He would have been what he is in every league.

But he is an interesting data point in the player selection discussion. His first year, the one where he is CHL player of the year(like his second), he was not a lock to make the team. WHAT??? A guy is dominating the 16-20 year olds of Canada, but may not be able to make the U-20 team? Why? There weren't a ton of NHL guys coming back to the team.

And look at Corey Perry the next year. The last forward to make the team. He goes on to be one of Canada's best players, and it took him till the last spot on the last team he was eligible for to make it?

I think sometimes HC gets a little too caught up in skating speed, and other metrics, and tries to be too smart, instead of taking hockey players. I still question if Gretzky would have made some of those teams given what was focused on. If things haven't changed much(I don't know was much about the junior players these days), we may have our answer.

Old
01-05-2014, 04:45 PM
Rocko604

one of the reasons Canada went "politically correct" with it's team this year because one of the biggest criticisms from last year was that Steve Spott went with an OHL rep team and it failed miserably. So the first thing Hockey Canada did this year was try to make it more even across the three leagues, and once again, it bombed.

They also didn't have a tryout camp because Team USA didn't have one last year and won gold, so Canada wanted to emulate that.

Old
01-05-2014, 05:28 PM
feds91

The Q won the last 3 Memorial Cups and the 2 best forwards by far came from the Q. Imagine no Mantha, Drouin, Fucale on the team and Canada would have finished behind Germany. Don Cherry is a moron, for him Kingston boy> Ontario> rest of Canada> US > Europe > Russia no matter who the player is. Hello, he said he would have picked Brule ahead of Crosby in the draft!!!

Old
01-05-2014, 05:38 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by feds91 View Post
The Q won the last 3 Memorial Cups and the 2 best forwards by far came from the Q. Imagine no Mantha, Drouin, Fucale on the team and Canada would have finished behind Germany. Don Cherry is a moron, for him Kingston boy> Ontario> rest of Canada> US > Europe > Russia no matter who the player is. Hello, he said he would have picked Brule ahead of Crosby in the draft!!!
Grapes is always looking for excuses, when things don't go his way...it's beyond old...
As for his player evaluation, for the young guns, remember when he owned the Ice Dogs? The worst of the worst teams back in his day...

Old
01-05-2014, 05:58 PM
Budddy

I liked the segment but didn't agree with him on calling the reporter a rat for writing that USA
piece...he was given access...why would he not write that? I would..

Old
01-05-2014, 06:06 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcruz View Post

I think we need to make a distinction between players from the Q and French Canadians. I think there is a political push to make sure a certain number of French speaking players are on the team. I personally think you should just take the best players, period, but I am guessing not everyone feels that way.

Old
01-05-2014, 06:46 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

cherry calls euro players soft http://fanstyle.ru/okolofutbol/27087...ys-vs-5-uglov/

atleast euro fans are tough..north american fans is as soft as sedins.

Old
01-05-2014, 07:18 PM
BluPuk*
Canada 1st Leafs 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatOne View Post
cherry calls euro players soft http://fanstyle.ru/okolofutbol/27087...ys-vs-5-uglov/

Awww. Feeling a little sorry for yourselves are we? Nevermind now. Maybe next year....

Old
01-05-2014, 08:19 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatOne View Post

What just happened here?

This post made me LOL, which I am pretty sure is not the desired effect, but I am not even sure what was. Hilarious no matter what.

Old
01-05-2014, 09:48 PM
SympathyForTheDevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
I think we need to make a distinction between players from the Q and French Canadians. I think there is a political push to make sure a certain number of French speaking players are on the team. I personally think you should just take the best players, period, but I am guessing not everyone feels that way.
Are you seriously agreeing with that mouth-breathing Neanderthal that Team Canada takes too many French Canadian players?

Hockey Canada has many faults, but that has never been one of them.

Were Drouin and Mantha cramping everyone else's style by leading the team in scoring?

Or is it Hudon and Fucale that upset everything by earning a more prominent spot on the team due to the mediocre play of the OHL/WHL players they replaced?

Gauthier was useless, but not any more than Rychel, Leier and Bigras.

But I guess it is comforting to retreat to that alternate dimension where Darnell Nurse and Max Domi combined for 6 goals in the gold medal game. According to their posts, most Oilers and Flames fans have spent the tournament there, and it seems like a much gentler place than reality. Apparently, a minor upgrade to two or three positions could have solved Team Canada's deep, systemic problems.

Anything to salvage Canada's fragile national ego after a hockey loss, I guess.

Old
01-05-2014, 11:55 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
There were no d man from the Q. Nurse not making wasn't political at all.

Old
01-06-2014, 07:29 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by SympathyForTheDevils View Post
Are you seriously agreeing with that mouth-breathing Neanderthal that Team Canada takes too many French Canadian players?

Hockey Canada has many faults, but that has never been one of them.

Were Drouin and Mantha cramping everyone else's style by leading the team in scoring?

Or is it Hudon and Fucale that upset everything by earning a more prominent spot on the team due to the mediocre play of the OHL/WHL players they replaced?

Gauthier was useless, but not any more than Rychel, Leier and Bigras.

But I guess it is comforting to retreat to that alternate dimension where Darnell Nurse and Max Domi combined for 6 goals in the gold medal game. According to their posts, most Oilers and Flames fans have spent the tournament there, and it seems like a much gentler place than reality. Apparently, a minor upgrade to two or three positions could have solved Team Canada's deep, systemic problems.

Anything to salvage Canada's fragile national ego after a hockey loss, I guess.
Me saying that we should focus on taking the best players regardless of location is not saying we should not take as many French Canadian players.

If the best twenty players in Canada are all French speaking, take all twenty.

Closed Thread