HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Don Cherry & Coach's Corner 2013-14 Version | Part II

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2014, 10:56 AM
BobDobolina

vCash: 500
There's a huge difference in being "pro-Canadian", being disrespectful to other nationalities and being a downright xenophobe. This;

Quote:
During the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake City, two Russian cross-country skiers, Larissa Lazutina and Olga Danilova, tested positive for Darbepoetin (increases red blood cells) and were disqualified. Don Cherry weighed in on the incident, saying, "I've been trying to tell you for so long about the Russians. What kind of people they are and you just love them in Canada with your multiculturalism." After the Olympics, Cherry addressed his comments on Coach's Corner and said "I don't regret one word I said "¦ I meant every word of it."
is textbook xenophobia, there's nothing controversial about it. As are some of his other perhaps more thinly veiled comments, such as not wanting Swedes or Russians in the league. His apologists apparently will go to the ends of the earth to deny it or try and mask it as nothing but being "pro-Canadian"

How sad and pathetic.

Old
01-10-2014, 05:52 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
I don't see how this is relevant in terms of his opinions on hockey.
Because hockey is Canada.

Old
01-10-2014, 06:45 PM
hankdank

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post

A rah rah statement that ultimately means nothing.

Hockey is a sport. A player growing up in Sweden, playing in the SEL lives and breathes hockey - and it has nothing to do with Canada.

Old
01-10-2014, 07:46 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankdank View Post

Hockey is a sport. A player growing up in Sweden, playing in the SEL lives and breathes hockey - and it has nothing to do with Canada.
It means something to me. Maybe it means nothing to you. Cool. All you have proven is that you are not like me, which believe me is just fine.

That you don't feel a part of the culture is not my concern. Sorry you are missing out.

Last edited by fly4apuckguy: 01-10-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old
01-10-2014, 07:54 PM
PanthersPens62
$325 Million Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
There's a huge difference in being "pro-Canadian", being disrespectful to other nationalities and being a downright xenophobe. This;

is textbook xenophobia, there's nothing controversial about it. As are some of his other perhaps more thinly veiled comments, such as not wanting Swedes or Russians in the league. His apologists apparently will go to the ends of the earth to deny it or try and mask it as nothing but being "pro-Canadian"

How sad and pathetic.
If I had a dime for how often you trotted out that quote I'd be a wealthy man.

I guess many forget or are too young to remember how many East Germans cheated to get medals as well back in the 80's. Cherry is stating a fact about 2 certain athletes & is expressing his disdain for how they cheated. Why should he regret it?

Old
01-10-2014, 09:45 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
I have not heard him comment on visors for a long time, and as for the nationalism, I am all for it. I love my country and am proud of the things that are great about it. It's fine if you don't feel that way, but while you are making that stance about anti-nationalism, other countries are full of people who are very nationalistic. One of the things that stands out the most for me is how posters from other nations will complain about how xenophobic Don Cherry is, but if you follow their post history, all they do is trash Canada and Canadian hockey. I personally prefer to stand up for Canada and Canadian hockey while having an appreciation for others. Some do not even do the latter part, and people like you feed that with a stance that I find, to be honest, rather submissive and apologetic.

I am proud of where my country has fallen on a number of issues worldwide not only recently, but in history. We have made some terrible mistakes, sure, but several posters on here who hail from nations with histories far worse and far more vile than ours will not make me apologize for one old man on TV saying that he prefers hockey players from Ontario or Alberta. Maybe when I was younger I had a more idealistic view of the world and could afford to be less nationalistic, but now that I am older and see what other countries have been doing and are responsible for...I have to say that it is nice to see someone stand up and pump our tires every Saturday night instead of being the good little boy and staying quiet while all the big boys tell it like it is.
Wth all due respect, hankdank wrote the following: "I dislike his viewpoints about Canadian nationalism", not that he dislikes his nationalism.

I don't have to tell you that there is a chasm between nationalism and jingoism, between nationalism and xenophobia.

I'm a proud Canadian and Québécois as I often stated, and due to travelling and working overseas on a few occasions at different Canadian embassies, I'm very well aware that I'm living in one of the best countries (and provinces ) in the world.

I don't believe the Cherry persona we see on TV is xenophobic (even if he might look the part from time to time for dramatic effect), but he is jingoist, and as such goes against what I believe in.

As I wrote yesterday, too often he sounds like chalk or fingernails on a slate board.

But hey, he makes a good living out of it (just as Rush Limbaugh does)...

Old
01-10-2014, 10:11 PM
BiggestLeafsFanEVER*
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersPens62 View Post

I guess many forget or are too young to remember how many East Germans cheated to get medals as well back in the 80's. Cherry is stating a fact about 2 certain athletes & is expressing his disdain for how they cheated. Why should he regret it?
ha ha no. he's taking the bad behaviour of two athletes and using it to disparage an entire nationality.

Old
01-10-2014, 10:42 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Well no, and that doesn't at all clarify how that statement about Canadians and how it is relevant to Cherry's opinions on hockey.

Old
01-10-2014, 11:47 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Well no, and that doesn't at all clarify how that statement about Canadians and how it is relevant to Cherry's opinions on hockey.
Well yes, and it does because it Cherry is talking about hockey he is talking about Canadian cultural identity.

You can say it isn't so if you feel you need to, I really don't care. But I would never be so arrogant as to claim I have the right to tell anyone else from any other nation what their culture entails and what it does not.

Old
01-11-2014, 12:43 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Well yes, and it does because it Cherry is talking about hockey he is talking about Canadian cultural identity.

You can say it isn't so if you feel you need to, I really don't care. But I would never be so arrogant as to claim I have the right to tell anyone else from any other nation what their culture entails and what it does not.
Hockey is everyone's sport, not just Canada's. If you would say "Canada is hockey" I would think Canada is represented by more than that, but would understand it in the context of what it means to Canadians. I also find it strange how you think I was claiming I had the right to tell what Canadian culture entails, when I never did such a thing.

Either way, you being proud for being a Canadian and proud to have a Canadian personality who bleeds Canada doesn't mean anything in terms of the actual content of what he says on the air, because while they are hockey opinions mainly for a Canadian audience, they are still hockey opinions and deserve critique when the situation calls for it like every other personality (sports, political or otherwise) on television.

I'm fine with Cherry being patriotic, but I don't think it should be used as a shield by his supporters to deflect negative opinions towards him as a hockey personality.

Old
01-11-2014, 01:44 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Hockey is everyone's sport, not just Canada's. If you would say "Canada is hockey" I would think Canada is represented by more than that, but would understand it in the context of what it means to Canadians. I also find it strange how you think I was claiming I had the right to tell what Canadian culture entails, when I never did such a thing.

Either way, you being proud for being a Canadian and proud to have a Canadian personality who bleeds Canada doesn't mean anything in terms of the actual content of what he says on the air, because while they are hockey opinions mainly for a Canadian audience, they are still hockey opinions and deserve critique when the situation calls for it like every other personality (sports, political or otherwise) on television.

I'm fine with Cherry being patriotic, but I don't think it should be used as a shield by his supporters to deflect negative opinions towards him as a hockey personality.
But him being a big nationalist is the main reason why he is attacked.

Old
01-11-2014, 05:41 AM
BobDobolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersPens62 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggestLeafsFanEVER View Post
ha ha no. he's taking the bad behaviour of two athletes and using it to disparage an entire nationality.
Indeed as well as slamming his fellow countrymen for being multicultural but thanks for proving my point, PanthersPens. Just the kind of denial and diversion I was talking about. Nice avatar btw.

Old
01-11-2014, 07:46 AM
BluPuk*
Canada 1st Leafs 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankdank View Post

Give your head a shake. Hockey is not the number one sport in Sweden - not by a long shot. Nor is it in Russia, Finland, certainly not the U.S.A. or any other country in the world.

As far as world class sports go, hockey is it for us. The only one we can compete in on the world stage. It's like soccer is to Brazil. Ya follow? We're not saying "hockey is not yours" we are saying "hockey IS Canada". You see the difference? We're not insulting anyone.

I didn't think so....

Old
01-11-2014, 09:17 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Hockey is everyone's sport, not just Canada's.
Well I guess that is where we see things differently. You consider it a sport.

If NHL hockey no longer existed, it will still be a huge part of my day to day life. Last night I was at the local rink working behind the food counter as a volunteer for a men's senior league game. The night before I was at a midget hockey game. The night before I was at a bantam game. I have officiated hundreds of games, played for over 30 years, coached more teams than I can even remember (15 maybe?), and been involved with "the sport" in some level for the better part of 40 years now.

When I was in pee wee, all of the players on the juvenile team (18 and under) in my hometown had black CCM helmets with cages that had the foam removed (legal at the time). I had a lousy bullet-head Cooper one piece helmet and I pined for the CCM helmet, but my dad was pretty cheap. So I made the best of a bad situation and took a black permanent marker and colored my helmet black. It looked terrible, but I had to wear it anyway because Dad was not going to buy me a new one while that one was still working fine.

Then, at Christmas that year, I got what I wanted! A brand new, black CCM helmet with the same cages that the juvenile players in my hometown all had. I quickly removed the foam so I could look just like them. I wore that helmet the entire Christmas holiday. Like, around the house. Every waking moment for over a week. When school resumed, I would run home at lunch, put on my helmet and watch the Flintstones. Good thing the cage had the foam taken out of it or I would not have been able to eat my grilled cheese sandwiches.

In short, this is but one of about a thousand stories I could tell you about how hockey to me was not just "a sport". Baseball was a sport. I played it every spring and then waited for it to be over so I could go back to playing street hockey and using my baseball glove as a goalie's mitt.

While I appreciate that many other countries enjoy the game of hockey...my experience (and the experience of probably hundreds of thousands and maybe millions of other Canadian kids) is not about hockey the game, but hockey the way of life.

What people outside of Canada do not always understand that this is not some slight towards their love of the game. We have just experienced the game differently because of a number of factors (I am sure our climate is the biggest reason). I literally wore skates before I wore shoes.

I am not sure why anyone would think it is important to take that away from us, which is exactly how I feel when I read your responses.

Old
01-11-2014, 10:27 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Well I guess that is where we see things differently. You consider it a sport.
I wouldn't presume to know how another person treats hockey just because they aren't from Canada, if I was you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
But him being a big nationalist is the main reason why he is attacked.
Mainly him being a nationalist and using it to knock down others and imply the "Canadian way is best", as if there is one specific way all Canadians play hockey that others don't. His Nationalism is connected to other comments which plenty of people critique, so it isn't just the fact he loves his country. It goes deeper than that.

Old
01-11-2014, 10:41 AM
BluPuk*
Canada 1st Leafs 2nd

Quote:
I wouldn't presume to know how another person treats hockey just because they aren't from Canada, if I was you.

Mainly him being a nationalist and using it to knock down others and imply the "Canadian way is best", as if there is one specific way all Canadians play hockey that others don't. His Nationalism is connected to other comments which plenty of people critique, so it isn't just the fact he loves his country. It goes deeper than that.
What a bunch of BS. Since whern was nationalism a bad thing?? Hell, let's cancel these silly olympics we have, they are all nationalism. Looking at the flag in your posts I find it kind of interesting that you think nationalism is bad.....

Old
01-11-2014, 10:48 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluPuk View Post
What a bunch of BS. Since whern was nationalism a bad thing?? Hell, let's cancel these silly olympics we have, they are all nationalism. Looking at the flag in your posts I find it kind of interesting that you think nationalism is bad.....
If you had read what I said, I didn't say being a nationalist in and of itself is a bad thing.

Old
01-11-2014, 10:58 AM
Pepper

Quote:
Give your head a shake. Hockey is not the number one sport in Sweden - not by a long shot. Nor is it in Russia, Finland, certainly not the U.S.A. or any other country in the world.
Don't come here spouting outright lies.

Hockey is hands-down the biggest sport in Finland, no other sport comes even close.

Old
01-11-2014, 11:04 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Interesting to see everyone wanting to take hockey away from Canada. You can see why Don Cherry defends it the way he does.

Basketball is played a lot where I live. I guess it is our sport, since a Canadian invented it. I think I'll go to Indiana and maybe southern California and find some outdoor courts and tell them all how basketball is just as important to me as it is to them because I have played basketball, lots of people I know have played basketball and I watch it on TV.

Then I will go to Texas and tell them how football is Saskatchewan's sport as much as it is theirs because we have the Saskatchewan Roughriders who are enormously popular, and now lots of kids are playing football here, too.

Football and basketball - Canada's games.

I shouldn't forget - more Canadian kids are playing soccer than hockey now. Guess what, Europe and South America? Soccer - Canada's game as well. It is as much a part of our culture as yours now, I guess.

Old
01-11-2014, 11:08 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Interesting to see everyone wanting to take hockey away from Canada. You can see why Don Cherry defends it the way he does.
Where are you getting that from?

Old
01-11-2014, 11:11 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post

Hockey is hands-down the biggest sport in Finland, no other sport comes even close.
Just wondering....what is Finland's national sport?

In Canada we have two. For summer it is lacrosse and for winter it is hockey?

Old
01-11-2014, 11:13 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Where are you getting that from?
Maybe I went too far with that, I admit.

Old
01-11-2014, 11:51 AM
BluPuk*
Canada 1st Leafs 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post

No need to call anyone names. The number of registered players in Finland is much higher in football (soccer) than ice hockey. Ice hockey is the top spectator sport - not the top participated in. You should look this up so you have your facts straight. In Canada hockey is the biggest spectator sport and the biggest in registered players. Plus there are thousands and thousands who play it unregistered - on ponds and rivers throughout the country. Please check your facts before posting.

Old
01-11-2014, 12:06 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
No need to call anyone names. The number of registered players in Finland is much higher in football (soccer) than ice hockey. Ice hockey is the top spectator sport - not the top participated in. You should look this up so you have your facts straight. In Canada hockey is the biggest spectator sport and the biggest in registered players. Plus there are thousands and thousands who play it unregistered - on ponds and rivers throughout the country. Please check your facts before posting.
Actually, that's misleading because participation isn't typically measured as an aggregate...it's typically measured in terms of youth participation and adult participation.

Old
01-11-2014, 12:08 PM
BobDobolina

Quote:
Might be a good idea to follow your own advice. There has been more soccer players than hockey players in this country since the 80's

And I'm sure they play hockey outside in Finland too.

Closed Thread