HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 U.S. Roster Discussion (Part VII)

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2014, 05:53 PM
NinthSpoke06

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Better skater, puck mover and shot.
Agreed. I'm fully on the Faulk bandwagon. I think EJ would have been a good pick too.

I was just disputing some of the myths people are putting out there...like Orpik and Martin took EJ or Yandle or Byfuglien's spots.

Old
01-03-2014, 05:54 PM
NinthSpoke06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
The requisite to be a top-tier skater isn't just because of the big ice-it's becauset he U.S. brass wants to play an up temp game that feeds off of quick puck movement and a solid transition on offense and a relentless forecheck on defense. Yes, this team might not be the most talented in the world but I don't think anyone will outwork or outchance it. This is going to be a very difficult team to play against.
Might not be the most talented, but it's pretty damn talented. Like awesomely talented.

Easily the most talented USA team ever.

Old
01-03-2014, 05:57 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Better skater, puck mover and shot.
I'd add a substantially better performance on the big ice, too. I love EJ, and I'd have a hard time taking Orpik over him, but if the argument is between him and Faulk, I'd go with Faulk every time.

Old
01-03-2014, 05:58 PM
NinthSpoke06

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
Do you guys even read my posts? People were bringing up why Okposo shouldn't be on the team because he hasn't been consistent for numerous seasons. I brought up JVR because he is similar to Okposo, and imo both deserve to be there with their recent play the last 2 seasons. People took it as Okposo should be on the team over JVR, I never said that.
That just isn't true. You are just reading into stuff because you want your favorite player on the team.

I was pointing out the reasons why the people who selected the team likely used to keep him off the team.

I'm 100% for Okposo being on the team. I'd have picked him over Callahan as I think Blake Wheeler can play that Callahan role on the 4th line better than Callahan. But USA was never going to leave Callahan home because of his past performances and his leadership.

Old
01-03-2014, 06:33 PM
therealdeal

Also just out of curiosity, had anyone calculated the cap hit and salary numbers for the team, that's always kinda cool.

Old
01-03-2014, 06:51 PM
zac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
JVR has been consistently mediocre, he hasn't been consistently good or great. Last year was his break out season and is continuing to play well this year. Okposo turned around his game half way through last season, played great in the playoffs, and is continuing to play great this year. He hasn't shown any signs of being the old Okposo, who was shy along the boards because of his injury. He's been a beast along the boards.
If being at .75 PPG as a 24 year old is a break out season than that's a pretty low standard. The reality is JVR is the undeserving forward that gets talked about the least and I don't know why. He averages a whopping 21 minutes per game, gets PP1 PP minutes, plays with Phil Kessel, and yet is being outscored by most of the guys who were left off the team.

If it's about pure offensive talent there are better players than JVR (Ryan). If it's about production there are guys like Okposo who have done more. If it's about being a better all around player with more versatility than Saad was the MUCH better option. Bottom line is that whatever the reason was there were/are better options for #2 LW than JVR. Hell Saad is probably the better offensive player right now and he's a hell of a lot better defensively than JVR. JVR being the lock that he was is ludicrous.

Old
01-03-2014, 06:57 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Based

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutks View Post
To me the bigger thing is not just that they snubbed KO, its the fact that they basically said there is no chance that they will even consider him for the future. That is some BS, and not needed. What ****ing idiot would say that about a guy that currently has the same amount of points as Ovi, with a more complete game?

The kid had an injury that got in his head. He got over it late last year. Was a beast at the end of the year, a beast in the playoffs, and is a beast now. Will he be this awesome for ever... who knows. But when we are talking about right now, what you see is what you get.

People really need to watch him play right now. He is not doing good... he is borderline "great" right now. Almost every game he looks to be on another level compared to everyone else. His strength on the puck, defense, and offense. He isnt having a Frans Neilsen type season where he is playing well, but playing within himself and his past. KO is playing up a completely different tier.
look man i agree he should have been more closely considered, but he had 5 years of play where he did not stand out at all, 5 years vs 40 games.

Old
01-04-2014, 11:55 AM
On Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEROLE Vatanen View Post
look man i agree he should have been more closely considered, but he had 5 years of play where he did not stand out at all, 5 years vs 40 games.
This is a fair point - the ice surface size being is too big for him is baloney.

If ice too large is the issue, why even extend an invite to Okposo? Rink dimensions ain't changing.

Old
01-04-2014, 12:03 PM
Easton Modano Curve

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac View Post
If being at .75 PPG as a 24 year old is a break out season than that's a pretty low standard. The reality is JVR is the undeserving forward that gets talked about the least and I don't know why. He averages a whopping 21 minutes per game, gets PP1 PP minutes, plays with Phil Kessel, and yet is being outscored by most of the guys who were left off the team.

If it's about pure offensive talent there are better players than JVR (Ryan). If it's about production there are guys like Okposo who have done more. If it's about being a better all around player with more versatility than Saad was the MUCH better option. Bottom line is that whatever the reason was there were/are better options for #2 LW than JVR. Hell Saad is probably the better offensive player right now and he's a hell of a lot better defensively than JVR. JVR being the lock that he was is ludicrous.
1) JVR plays with Kessel
2) JVR is faster than all the guys you mentioned above.

You might not like the criteria they used but chemistry and speed were two things they wanted.

Old
01-04-2014, 12:55 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan*
Leaving/Goodbye All

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
Russia's top 6 is set because there is a drop off after those 6 players, where as the US really can rotate a number of players in and out which makes our top 6 maybe not look as good. Guys like Stastny and Pavelski will likely play top 6 roles throughout the tournament along with Kesler. But Semin is a shadow of his former self, Radulov is solid but wouldn't crack our top 6 and Kovalchuk was elite but not sure if he still is.

The funny part is I think Bobby Ryan would make Russia's top 6 hands down, and Kyle Okposo wouldn't be far off either. I just don't see it with Russia outside of their top 3 guns.
I agree about Semin but I don't think you're giving Russia's elite Top 6 players enough credit.

Old
01-04-2014, 01:01 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
I agree about Semin but I don't think you're giving Russia's elite Top 6 players enough credit.
how much credit do you want?

once you go to the KHL you drop a notch in my book. I just do not put Radulov and Kovalchuk ahead of Parise, Kessel, JVR, and Kane. Sorry I do not.

I said the top 3 is great, the next 3 is good but nothing special. I do not see how Semin, Radulov, and Kovalchuk makes Russia's top 6 great. This isn't 2010.

Russia will be tough to play against as they have skill and they are playing at home, but pound for pound they just aren't on par with the US, Sweden, or Canada. And in a tournament like this, you need more then 1 line to win.

Old
01-04-2014, 01:03 PM
cheesedanish87

Only advantage Russia has over us is there 2 elite centers(Malkin Datsyuk) il take Kane Kessel Parise JVR all day everyday over OV Kovalchuk Semin Radulov.

Old
01-04-2014, 01:04 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan*
Leaving/Goodbye All

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
how much credit do you want?

once you go to the KHL you drop a notch in my book. I just do not put Radulov and Kovalchuk ahead of Parise, Kessel, JVR, and Kane. Sorry I do not.

I said the top 3 is great, the next 3 is good but nothing special. I do not see how Semin, Radulov, and Kovalchuk makes Russia's top 6 great. This isn't 2010.

Russia will be tough to play against as they have skill and they are playing at home, but pound for pound they just aren't on par with the US, Sweden, or Canada. And in a tournament like this, you need more then 1 line to win.
I think most hockey people would say Russia has the best top 6 players of any country not named Canada. If you disagree, that's great.

I agree with your last paragraph.

Old
01-04-2014, 01:11 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
I think most hockey people would say Russia has the best top 6 players of any country not named Canada. If you disagree, that's great.

I think you are wrong on your first part, and like I said before, this isn't 2010. That top 6 is not elite anymore.

Old
01-04-2014, 01:48 PM
AvalancheRy

Quote:

Russia's top 6 is certainly one of the most talented in terms of raw skill, but I'm not sure that translates to the best hockey players. Take a guy like Backes. Maybe not the most flash, but the guy can play hockey -- and on both ends of the ice too.

So I don't buy that Russia has the best top 6 outside Canada.

Old
01-04-2014, 03:24 PM
HanSolo
aka DuckJet

vCash: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
I'd add a substantially better performance on the big ice, too. I love EJ, and I'd have a hard time taking Orpik over him, but if the argument is between him and Faulk, I'd go with Faulk every time.
Agreed. Anyone thinking Faulk being on this team is a hindrance is fooling themselves. Solid addition.

01-04-2014, 03:32 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Not to derail this thread but Russia is not going to be able to get buy on talent alone and hope to win. If they do, the outcome will be similar to what happened to them against Canada in Vancouver or the U.S. at the Worlds last year. If I was them, I would be very concerned about their defense and forward accountability.

Old
01-04-2014, 04:03 PM
KittysGotClaws
We See Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Not to derail this thread but Russia is not going to be able to get buy on talent alone and hope to win. If they do, the outcome will be similar to what happened to them against Canada in Vancouver or the U.S. at the Worlds last year. If I was them, I would be very concerned about their defense and forward accountability.
Considering they are in our group, I think it should be fair game to discuss.

Old
01-04-2014, 04:11 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittysGotClaws View Post
Considering they are in our group, I think it should be fair game to discuss.
exactly. no clue why posts are disappearing involving Russian talk. we can compare rosters here and talk about these things without them getting deleted.

Old
01-04-2014, 09:09 PM
Fire AV
#FreeMcIlrath

vCash: 420
In case anyone is wondering, Callahan is looking a lot more like Callahan now

Old
01-04-2014, 09:29 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by nils2317 View Post
In case anyone is wondering, Callahan is looking a lot more like Callahan now
It would be weird if he showed up looking like JVR or something. We got enough ugly as it is.

Old
01-04-2014, 11:40 PM
zac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easton Modano Curve View Post
1) JVR plays with Kessel
2) JVR is faster than all the guys you mentioned above.

You might not like the criteria they used but chemistry and speed were two things they wanted.
JVR is not faster than Saad. At BEST he is on the same level.

Not to mention who cares if he plays with Kessel when the indication is he may not play on the same line anyway? The justifications for his inclusion are rather paltry when you think about it. At best they are hardly "lock" worthy.

Old
01-05-2014, 12:43 AM
KittysGotClaws
We See Red

Miller - 1 GA W
Howard - 1 GA W (44 saves)
Quick - 1 GA W

Suter hat trick. Even Brown scores.

Old
01-05-2014, 12:45 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quick looked very sharp.

Old
01-05-2014, 12:58 AM
KittysGotClaws
We See Red

Keeping my fingers crossed that this is the start of good things for Brown and Callahan.

Interestingly, in the Rangers 7-1 win tonight, Stepan only played a little over 13 minutes (2nd lowest on the team), but did grab an assist on what I heard was a nice pass.

Closed Thread