HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goaltending outlook

Old
01-03-2014, 02:05 PM
TommytheCat

vCash: 500
So some of us are ready to dump Poulin after he played only close to 40 NHL games ? I think it's hard to can the guy given or midget defense core we have in front of him ...

TommytheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 03:12 PM
Tompa8989*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Nabby retires, Poulin gets one-way contract, Isles sign one of Miller/Hiller/Halak. Seems likely that he does get a one-way IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashin for President View Post
Isles definitely targeting a goalie during the off season for sure. I don't think Poulin has the right stuff to be a starting goalie in the NHL. I really like what Nilsson brings but his illness set him back big time. With a young group like this the Isles need an experienced goalie. Hiller would be my first choice followed by Miller. Nabby has been lights out since he got back. Amazing how he does it at his age.

Mmmmyeah...Where are the money gonna come from to sign Miller? Or even Hiller or Halak? If Islanders got a new owner who actually invested in the team, maybe. In reality? Poulin will probably be the starting goalie with Nilsson as backup. Or the trade for some 2nd grade goalie to compete with Poulin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcXMhwF4EtQ

Tompa8989* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 03:33 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tompa8989 View Post
Mmmmyeah...Where are the money gonna come from to sign Miller? Or even Hiller or Halak? If Islanders got a new owner who actually invested in the team, maybe. In reality? Poulin will probably be the starting goalie with Nilsson as backup. Or the trade for some 2nd grade goalie to compete with Poulin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcXMhwF4EtQ
The good thing is the cap floor is going up by a lot. Therefore the Isles HAVE to spend to the cap floor. Otherwise they face stiff penalties, loss of draft choices, money as well as the GM gets suspended (maybe that's a good thing ?).

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 03:37 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan'sIsland81 View Post
It is weird, usually I agree with your posts, but your posts in this thread make no sense. Poulin is a capable backup? His 5-12 record begs to differ, "capable backups" around the league do not have 5-12 records. Your first excuse, he plays with a bad team, that excuse might work if the starter was not 2 games over .500. Your next excuse, the team plays better in front of Nabby, maybe so, but his save percentage is significantly better, that has nothing to do with goal support. Finally, you mention it taking time for goalies to develop and give examples of late blooming goalies. Poulin has been around for years now and as others have said in this thread, he has done NOTHING to warrant just being handed the backup role. So you suggest we should just wait around PRAYING for him to develop into one of those guys you mention, who knows, maybe when JT hits 30 years old, rather than you know, actually going out and getting a real NHL everyday long-term starter?
It's not as black and white as you state. As I said before, lots of different factors. Nabby was horrible before his injury, now all of a sudden he's a superstar ? No, the team started playing better D when CDH and Strait started playing, and NOW, the team is playing better team D as well (forwards and dmen). Plus, Nabby came back at the right time, AND is playing amazingly well. Lots of factors, not just, Nabby great, Backups suck.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 03:38 PM
desmond

If Vanek doesn't resign and Reinhardt makes the team we are going to have to spend BIG.

desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 03:44 PM
Tompa8989*

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
The good thing is the cap floor is going up by a lot. Therefore the Isles HAVE to spend to the cap floor. Otherwise they face stiff penalties, loss of draft choices, money as well as the GM gets suspended (maybe that's a good thing ?).
Probably...Or maybe NHL forces Charles Wang to sell the team to someone who actually wants to put money into the team?

Last edited by Tompa8989*: 01-03-2014 at 04:07 PM.
Old
01-03-2014, 03:51 PM
gordie43

Poulin and Nilsson are two more guys you can add to the list of players islanders have not put in a position to succeed.

Can't blame the D for all the goaltending issues, but failures in free agency and development of younger players have not helped.

gordie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 04:04 PM
desmond

Poulin blew his knee out during pregame warmup, other kid struggled to overcome undiagnosed allergy problems. Coaching is the problem or bad luck?

Old
01-03-2014, 04:09 PM
Tompa8989*

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmond View Post
Poulin blew his knee out during pregame warmup, other kid struggled to overcome undiagnosed allergy problems. Coaching is the problem or bad luck?
Bad scouting. And bad preparing...How the hell do you blow your knee out during the warmup as a goalie?

Old
01-03-2014, 04:11 PM
desmond

Quote:
Bad scouting. And bad preparing...How the hell do you blow your knee out during the warmup as a goalie?
Do you watch islanders at all? Freak accident.

Old
01-03-2014, 04:21 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommytheCat View Post
So some of us are ready to dump Poulin after he played only close to 40 NHL games ? I think it's hard to can the guy given or midget defense core we have in front of him ...
Give up on? No. But I don't want to depend on him either. I would like to see a starter signed in the offseason AND another backup to compete with Poulin and/or Niilson. Won't happen, but it would be nice.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 04:52 PM
JZCislesHockey

Quote:
He was trying to slide over to the post and got one of his skates caught in a rut

JZCislesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 05:03 PM
TommytheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
Give up on? No. But I don't want to depend on him either. I would like to see a starter signed in the offseason AND another backup to compete with Poulin and/or Niilson. Won't happen, but it would be nice.
I think with a better defense and overall team defense the kid could do well ...I mean some of those games he looked sharp and the team just flopped...
So you think Garf makes a play for Hiller in the summer ? Get er done Garf !!! I'm psyched just got $130 tix for $20 to see them against FL down here...can you imagine 3 wins can ignite this fanbase...lol

Old
01-03-2014, 06:21 PM
Sheva7

Quote:
Ummmm, when you have that drastic a difference in records, yeah, that must be it. It is not like they have played such a different amount of games. Nabby has played 22 and the other two combined have played 20. You are telling me that it just magically the team was great in the 22 games Nabby played (even before he got injured) and were horrible in the other 20. Come on... Poulin and Nilsson suck, and god help us if management thinks like fans like you and thinks we should go with these two moving forward rather than signing/trading for a Miller, Hiller, Halak, Reimer, etc.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But to point the finger at our goalies and say "that's the reason!" is just short sighted if u ask me. An easy way out to excuse how poor this team has been.

Goaltending wasn't the reason this team was losing games and it's not why we're winning now. It's part of it. But that's all. A part of it.

We're winning now cuz the TEAM is finally playing like a TEAM. We're forechecking again. Playing faster. Playing harder and with more confidence. Guys are winning battles all over the ice. That type of effort wasn't there before.

Is Nabby the reason why Colin McDonald wins a board battle 200 feet away? Does he lose the battle if Poulin is in net? Does it really matter who's in net at that point? I don't think so. Blaming a goalie for stuff like that is just silly.

Sure, Nabby is playing great and I hope it continues, but it's obvious that the guys found another gear. If you can't see it, I'm sorry. But its clear as day from where I'm sitting.

Sheva7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 06:31 PM
Sheva7

Oh yea and in case you didn't know... Halak and Reimer stink. Niether have ever been able to handle the grind of a full 82 game season. Both crumble after about 30 games.

Definitely not worth signing either one. There's a reason why they're both soon to be FA's.

Sheva7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 07:22 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommytheCat View Post
So some of us are ready to dump Poulin after he played only close to 40 NHL games ?
I don't think anyone is ready to "dump" him, but I hope nobody thinks that the team should just go forward with him as the primary option. If the Isles can get someone who's obviously better, than they absolutely should (and to be frank they need to)... regardless of whether Poulin or Nilsson have been given "a chance to succeed". Those guys need to earn that role and they haven't.

Richie Daggers Crime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 07:33 PM
TommytheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
I don't think anyone is ready to "dump" him, but I hope nobody thinks that the team should just go forward with him as the primary option. If the Isles can get someone who's obviously better, than they absolutely should (and to be frank they need to)... regardless of whether Poulin or Nilsson have been given "a chance to succeed". Those guys need to earn that role and they haven't.
Since when are guys earning roles on this club ...lol....but yeah def not as the starter but maybe he can be a capable backup , it will be interesting to see what Garf and wanger do in the summer ...

Old
01-03-2014, 08:06 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
It's not as black and white as you state. As I said before, lots of different factors. Nabby was horrible before his injury, now all of a sudden he's a superstar ? No, the team started playing better D when CDH and Strait started playing, and NOW, the team is playing better team D as well (forwards and dmen). Plus, Nabby came back at the right time, AND is playing amazingly well. Lots of factors, not just, Nabby great, Backups suck.
They all pretty much suck, but Nabokov sucks quite a bit less. There's contrast between shades of suck.

Poulin and Nilsson had promise, but there's no reason at this point to commit to either. Best of blowing it up - replacement level players are better than them. There's no cost at this point.

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 09:48 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
If someone can explain to me why an owner, GM, and support staff that did not feel the need to add a real starting goaltender by now will suddenly go do it this summer I would be grateful.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 11:38 PM
Isles Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
If someone can explain to me why an owner, GM, and support staff that did not feel the need to add a real starting goaltender by now will suddenly go do it this summer I would be grateful.
BINGO!

They didn't add one because they got Nabakov on the cheap and will look to do the same with him or someone else next year.

This team will not spend as long as Wang is the owner. What is it gong to take for people to realize this?

Isles Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 12:01 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
It is weird, usually I agree with your posts, but your posts in this thread make no sense. Poulin is a capable backup? His 5-12 record begs to differ, "capable backups" around the league do not have 5-12 records. Your first excuse, he plays with a bad team, that excuse might work if the starter was not 2 games over .500. Your next excuse, the team plays better in front of Nabby, maybe so, but his save percentage is significantly better, that has nothing to do with goal support. Finally, you mention it taking time for goalies to develop and give examples of late blooming goalies. Poulin has been around for years now and as others have said in this thread, he has done NOTHING to warrant just being handed the backup role. So you suggest we should just wait around PRAYING for him to develop into one of those guys you mention, who knows, maybe when JT hits 30 years old, rather than you know, actually going out and getting a real NHL everyday long-term starter?
You have Kevin Poulin, age 22, career 12-21-1 with a 3.02, .902 svp.

ok....young goalie struggling with bad team. Finding his game. Horrid.

Now looking at his game log, his best year was.....HIS FIRST! Why? He played. He was with Bridgeport and called up, then returned. Since riding the pine, his stats went downhill. Last year, he barely played. Nabby was a workhorse. So can you say when he got more time, his play improved as I can claim? Just this year, I saw his play improve.

Now been around for years....four years? For a goalie that's not a ton. On a bad team? Look at Steve Mason.....his start and his evolution with an improved defense. His age when he bloomed.

If you think he's been horrid, PLEASE tell DiPietro fans that. He's looked better positionally and late in games than DP did for most of his career.

The problem isn't our goalies. Our D is PUTRID, including Hamonic. If we mention Bailey being horrid, yet discuss the "veterans" needed to help him develop, why not the D and defensive effort needed to help a goalie not blow his brains out after playing with our gem team?

I'm not saying he's amazing....I'm saying he's shown evolution in his style coinciding with his getting playing time. We both surely remember his sh***ing the bed first shot early on.....and it stopped. Later he never showed the same penchant. This year, as I stated, I've seen him improve on his style. The results? Well, look at the entire team while Nabby went down.

I say be patient. But ensure we SEE the kid play when Nabby's healthy so we can see if I'm right or you are.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 02:23 PM
islesfan66

i wish last year they would've made a harder push for bishop, bernier or schneider. (in that order) but I'm trying not to harp on that. I used to think poulin could end up being a good goalie but he really seems to flop around to much. Nielssen is young and missed a full year due to that illness i wouldn't give up on him just yet maybe down the road he could develop nicely. Id love more then anything for nielssen or koskinnen to develop into our #1. but if that doesn't happen they should really look to anders lindsbeck in tampa, they have bishop and that russian with the crazy long last name who's a top goalie prospect. Id prefer to make a move for a young goalie who could be our goalie of the future vs signing hiller or halak Just my opinion

islesfan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 08:17 AM
islesfan66

I'm disappointed that anders lindback has kinda dropped the ball since bishop went down. another guy i hope we could get would be fredrik andersson, theres just so many goalies in anaheim

islesfan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 09:47 AM
Poliz24

I really think that Nilsson can be a contributer for us one day. Fine, he got sick, but anything is possible. If he got set back a YEAR, tat is better then not being allowed to play because of a more serious illness. Also, Josh Harding I believe has MS, he seems to playing at a steady level. Yes, harding has Suter and company in front of him, but soon we will have Griff, Pulock, Pelech, Cdh in front of Nilsson and another goalie. I don't think Nilsson's career is over yet. Stay positive folks.

Poliz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 10:22 AM
Brunomics

Poulin looked great last night to me. The difference with him between this stretch and the previous is that his case of the nerves is gone and he looks much calmer out there and it's keeping him from being too jumpy it there, experience solves a lot. My expectation of him is that he'll look better the next start and he's going to push nabby the rest of the year.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote