HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goaltending outlook

Old
01-11-2014, 12:11 PM
nyisles

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to nyisles Send a message via AIM to nyisles
Poulin looks better and better as the season wears on, even after sitting for awhile when Nabby came back. Kid still has a way to go before anyone can say he's "the answer," and he needs to consider velcro'ing that stick into his blocker, but I feel pretty good about this guy.

01-11-2014, 01:12 PM
HumphreyBrogart

Maybe Poulin stepped his game up playing in front of Patrick Roy?

His performance last night was pretty solid. He really helped the team control the flow of the game. Kept the puck in play at the right times, froze it at the right times to settle the guys down, and he made the saves he needed to.

I'm still lukewarm on him being a starter, but I would say he's a capable backup now, and still has #1 potential, though he's got a ways to go.

He's a very heady player. When he's "in the zone" it's very hard to get him off his game. When he's not playing confident, he crashes and burns.

HumphreyBrogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 02:02 PM
Jester9881

I don't think any of our young netminders are close to being at the top of their potential. The ones that are currently stateside can improve significantly with a combination of good coaching, experience and confidence. They're both going to need more reps at the AHL level for that to happen though.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 03:08 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Poulin could be a steady 1A backup type if given the proper defense in front of him. I personally hope this off season we get either Ryan Miller or Jonas Hiller who is playing amazing in Anaheim and will most likely not be resigned by the Ducks as they have the sickest goalie pipeline.

Hiller/Poulin or Hiller/Nilsson would be a great combo for years to come.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote