Should be good tonight. Oilers need to figure out who their top six will be, and aside from the obvious (Smyth, York, Dvorak, Hemsky) the two centermen are up in the air. Does Isbister play 1line LW with Smyth in the middle? Will York move over?
Kevin Pedergast (spelling?) is on the pre-game Canucks radio show. Rundown of his thoughts of the Oilers camp:
- Down to 27 players. Going to keep all 27 until the end of the exhibition schedule.
- Very comptetive camp, young players playingwell, singled out Mikko Luoma
- Said the hockey club still has 4 positions.
- The 7th defensemen spot is battling between Bergeron & Luoma . Guess this means Ferguson won his spot.
- Sarno or Stoll is going to replace Comrie for the time being.
- Rita & Salmelinen are 'fighting for a spot'
- Horcoff playing hard, will get an increased role on the squad
- Re: Comrie.. nothing has changed, still in a stalemate. Lowe & Winter talk evey day, but there's 'a gap there'. 'We go on as if it was an injury'.
- Asked if Lowe has talked to other teams: NO! .. at least, not yet. They want to use that as a last-resort. If they feel it's impossible to sign him, they will move him.
- Regarding Comrie's dad & The Brick: 'I think last year was pretty tough on Mike... our stars weren't our stars and Mike paid the price from the fans & the media'
- 'I think he wants to play hockey.. there are some ill feelings from the end of last year.. we are trying to bridge [the gap]... I think Mike is antsy'
- 'We feel this is the year to make a dent [in the western conference].. Salo came into camp in tremendous shape... Hemsky is a player that [we think is at the tip of the iceberg].. we think he can be a superstar.'
interesting thing I read about york, in the 56 games before his injury, he had 51 points. Considering mact moved him around like an army brat, that is very impressive. Almost a point a game clip. If mact keeps him with two good linemates and lots of ice time, could he go from 0.9 points per game to 1.0 points per game?