HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vinny Lecavalier

Closed Thread

Old
06-16-2014, 02:21 PM
Ryker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
He's not a young pup anymore these injuries tend to take a toll on player's of his age. He's played 65, 64, 39 (lockout), & 64 games in his last four seasons.

It's not a crazy suggestion to make when you look at his injury history & the amount of time missed in recent years while looking at his age.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Back injuries are a bit different than a sports hernia or pulled muscle, and it affected everything from his skating to his shot. You don't need to be a doctor to know that.
OK, I guess I agree it's a risk in that regard, and the games played in previous seasons are well noted. I do think it's entirely possible he does heal perfectly, though, but I, too, probably wouldn't expect a 82-game season from him.

Old
06-16-2014, 03:48 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
What a difference a year makes:

While many Flyers fans were praising this a year ago, somehow many now think he is unmoveable.
I was one of the very few who panned that signing a year ago as a disaster. At the time, I was shouted down big time by people here. Well, I hate to say I told you so, but, I told you so.

Old
06-16-2014, 06:56 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
What a difference a year makes:

While many Flyers fans were praising this a year ago, somehow many now think he is unmoveable.

Lecavalier PPG 08/09: .87
Lecavalier PPG 09/10: .85
Lecavalier PPG 10/11: .83
Lecavalier PPG 11/12: .77
Lecavalier PPG 12/13: .82

.... and one season with a back injury, 4th line minutes at the end, playing an uncomfortable position at times and still 20 goals. I really think it will not be too hard to find a trade partner. If Vinny is smart, he will waive to any team that values him.

Having said that, I want him gone as badly as others.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...n_suitors.html

Agent: Lecavalier chose Flyers over dozen suitors

Quote:
The agent for newly acquired Flyers free-agent center Vincent Lecavalier said the appeal of the franchise had much to do with the player's decision to move to Philadelphia.
---
"We could have had a much more significant contract if he made the decision solely on money," agent Kent Hughes said Wednesday in a phone interview. "But we didn't solicit offers from everyone. We kind of narrowed it down."
---
"What tipped it for Vinny was the chance to play for a hockey market with passionate fans," Hughes said. "He is really impressed with the rich tradition of the Flyers."
On here I was very, very much against it at the time and I seem to remember many others ranging from skeptical to as not happy as me.

If we're talking outside of HF, well most people don't follow hockey as intently as people on here.

Old
06-17-2014, 01:59 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
On here I was very, very much against it at the time and I seem to remember many others ranging from skeptical to as not happy as me.

If we're talking outside of HF, well most people don't follow hockey as intently as people on here.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...ght=lecavalier

Is what I read. It is mostly praise.

Old
06-17-2014, 02:17 AM
hockeyfreak7

I can't wait for him to be dealt for something of substance to shut up all the clowns proclaiming he has negative value. Few players in the league actually have negative value. Lecavalier is not one of them.

Old
06-17-2014, 02:20 AM
kyuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
20 goals and 17 assists say otherwise. As poor a fit as Lecavalier was last season, he started the year as one of the team's best players. The hyperbole gets pretty thick around here.

That being said, I'd definitely be up for trading him. I wouldn't be expecting much return, principally because of his contract. Failing a deal, I'd put Lecavalier on Giroux's right wing to give him the maximum opportunity to succeed. If he can't complement Giroux, move ahead with 4th line duties until Lecavalier begs for a trade or retires.
All of this and especially the bolded. Vinny playing Jagr's role is not that far fetched. Drop Jake down with B. Schenn and we have two scoring lines that can control play.

Old
06-17-2014, 11:06 AM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
I can't wait for him to be dealt for something of substance to shut up all the clowns proclaiming he has negative value. Few players in the league actually have negative value. Lecavalier is not one of them.
Trade him to LA, he'll probably score 40 goals.

06-17-2014, 11:15 AM
MickeyMelchiondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
I was one of the very few who panned that signing a year ago as a disaster. At the time, I was shouted down big time by people here. Well, I hate to say I told you so, but, I told you so.
I thought this signing was almost universally derided when we saw the contract+length of the k.

Old
06-17-2014, 11:47 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMelchiondo View Post
I thought this signing was almost universally derided when we saw the contract+length of the k.
I was on the fence. I still wouldnt mind if he stayed, but he's got to stay healthy

Old
06-17-2014, 12:33 PM
Prongo
Beer

I think teams like Nashville, Dallas and Florida would take Vinny on at full cap hit. I think Vinny gets a little too much hate for being out of position the whole year. Also, those teams have plenty of room and won't reach the ceiling this year anyway, I don't understand why fans are so adamant about the salary being retained.

Old
06-17-2014, 12:36 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I think teams like Nashville, Dallas and Florida would take Vinny on at full cap hit. I think Vinny gets a little too much hate for being out of position the whole year. Also, those teams have plenty of room and won't reach the ceiling this year anyway, I don't understand why fans are so adamant about the salary being retained.
because the option is there...if you could get someone to pay for something that you'll use, why not?

Old
06-17-2014, 12:40 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
because the option is there...if you could get someone to pay for something that you'll use, why not?
Because I don't think the option is there all that much. Hextall might not be willing to retain salary. It has been pretty much all speculation from reporters that they will need to retain salary. Not too sure they really have to.

Also, it's kinda funny how Nashville fans were willing to give us a second rounder for Vinny when the season ended and now they won't give a third with salary retained. I want to know what Vinny did in the 0 games he played to depreciate his value so much in that time span?

Old
06-17-2014, 12:41 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
True but like Prongo implied a 20+goal scorer at 4.5mil a season is about the norm for the NHL, plus you get some veteran leadership as well.

Old
06-17-2014, 12:44 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Because I don't think the option is there all that much. Hextall might not be willing to retain salary. It has been pretty much all speculation from reporters that they will need to retain salary. Not too sure they really have to.

Also, it's kinda funny how Nashville fans were willing to give us a second rounder for Vinny when the season ended and now they won't give a third with salary retained. I want to know what Vinny did in the 0 games he played to depreciate his value so much in that time span?
I'm not saying Hextall would do it (doubt he would), but when other people know the option is there, they think Hextall would because they're selfish

Old
06-17-2014, 12:51 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...ght=lecavalier

Is what I read. It is mostly praise.
Definitely wasn't the only thread on Lecavalier at the time because my posts aren't in it.

Old
06-17-2014, 07:32 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Hope hextall finds a trade partner at the draft for Vinny don't want this to drag on into camp.

Old
06-17-2014, 07:36 PM
MetalMilitia44
Rookie User

I think it's very possible that Vinny gets dealt to Nashville along with our first for their first. Especially considering that NSH is most likely on Spezza's no-trade list.

Old
06-17-2014, 08:26 PM
Tripod

I mentioned his in a thread on the main board but can't remember which one. Could someone clarify this.

Vinny has 4 years left at 4.5 in cap hit. He is due 6 mill this year. But 2 million is in signing bonus. Do you know when that payment happens?

If it happens on July 1st midnight, could we not make the payment and then trade him at 12:01 one minute later? That way, the team acquiring him saves 2 mill without us retaining cap and then for the 4 years, the acquiring team only pays $3.625 mill in real money each year.

And at worst...if it is on the anniversary of the signing then it would be July 2nd but that 1 day could make a big difference if a Hextall does want to add someone.

Thank for anyone who knows for sure.

Old
06-17-2014, 09:41 PM
Tripod

Anyone know the above??

Old
06-17-2014, 10:15 PM
kyuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Anyone know the above??
I don't think anyone can know for sure. According to Capgeek, the "pay and trade" scenario is possible, but they say that specific dates for payment of bonus can be stipulated in each specific contract. It could be July 1, it could be the anniversary of signing, or it could be Vinny's birthday if he and his agent wanted it that way.

The first two dates are much more likely, but I think it just brings down the real money to 4mill for the upcoming season.

I can't find the page on cap geek that stated this at the moment.

Old
06-17-2014, 10:25 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss View Post
I don't think anyone can know for sure. According to Capgeek, the "pay and trade" scenario is possible, but they say that specific dates for payment of bonus can be stipulated in each specific contract. It could be July 1, it could be the anniversary of signing, or it could be Vinny's birthday if he and his agent wanted it that way.

The first two dates are much more likely, but I think it just brings down the real money to 4mill for the upcoming season.

I can't find the page on cap geek that stated this at the moment.
Here you go:
Quote:
A signing bonus can be assigned to any individual season within a contract. They can be paid up front on July 1 prior to the league year but can also doled out according to a pre-determined payment schedule that is written into the contract.
http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-do-signing-bonuses-work

Old
06-17-2014, 10:30 PM
LegionOfDoom91

So essentially there's no public record of the payments in regards to Vinny's signing bonuses. It could be all in one shot at the start of the NHL calendar year or could be spread out month to month for all we know.

I don't think it's going to make much of a difference anyway since I don't think Hextall will be looking to spend a lot during the UFA period. I also think he could have to wait for some of the rumored centers to be on the block to go off the board.

Old
06-17-2014, 11:24 PM
kyuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
So essentially there's no public record of the payments in regards to Vinny's signing bonuses. It could be all in one shot at the start of the NHL calendar year or could be spread out month to month for all we know.

I don't think it's going to make much of a difference anyway since I don't think Hextall will be looking to spend a lot during the UFA period. I also think he could have to wait for some of the rumored centers to be on the block to go off the board.
That's my understanding, and how I believe things will unfold.

Thanx for finding that link.

Old
06-18-2014, 12:38 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

This may just be a moot point until Schenn has a new contract agreed upon by both side... and if they can't because Schenn may want more than Hexy is willing, or can work into the Cap and still ice the roster he wants, than it is possible that Vinny is one of the top three Centers this coming season.

It is also possible that Chief plays Vinny at Right Wing and not Left and on the PP... and at Center in the event of injury... and works out the Cap by finding the needed Left Wing in-house.

... Just kicking around the possibilities all here seem to avoid considering.

Old
06-18-2014, 01:14 AM
MetalMilitia44
Rookie User

I'm curious, what leverage does B. Schenn really have? He's looking to get paid based on potential, as a 23 year old who will center the second line. I understand the market will pay him higher than what he's worth, but can he legitimately expect more than 3.5 mil per year? Bottom line is Vinny is going to be moved and Schenn will be signed. This team will not win the cup because Vinny is their second line center and Hextall knows that

Last edited by MetalMilitia44: 06-18-2014 at 06:20 AM.
Closed Thread