HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Race to the Playoffs

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2014, 03:25 AM
BoyClutterChuckBuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster19 View Post
They need to keep this hot streak going through the Philly games and play the rangers tough. Those games could determine the season. I don't like the Bos, Stl, Pit games at the end of the month. Our schedule after the break is good.
The Isles control their own destiny. If they can find a way to get 3/4 points vs. Philadelphia and grab a win vs. the Rangers - well then hot damn, we got ourselves a track meet.

Old
01-13-2014, 06:13 AM
JJmcD
The Power Of Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMimagery View Post
Now a 4.6% chance, up from a 1.5% less than 2 weeks ago. And that's just math, doesn't account for things like 4 in a row, 7 in a row on the road, 5 come from behind on the road wins, one of the best top lines in the game last 15...

added bonus to the winning streak:

it really whittles down the ton of negative posters, whom we all know by now very well, who really like to repeat themselves in case you missed what they said a half page ago. The Vanek thread, 1800 posts strong with hate, but that's dissipating now finally.

It seems like there are way more debbie downers this season. Maybe because we had some success making the playoffs with a sick run last year and hopes were high. It seems that they enjoy to troll their own board saying things like the season's over, Vanish, Vanek will never sign, JT isn't consistent enough (yeahrightcough) and on and on.

With de Haan, Strome and Nelson replacing Ness, PMB and Regin - and Vanek playing as well as anyone could've hoped, we're a different team now. Dare I say that Poulin has learned a thing or two, including how to hold onto his stick.

Whatever will you guys do if they make it?
I don't think there's a lot of them. But those few post A LOT, and repeat themselves at nauseum. It's as if they are rooting for Islanders not to make the playoffs. I mean, come on, at lest try to enjoy the season.

There's also some posters who say after a loss there not gonna watch any more, or post, blah blah blah. Then they come back next loss and post the same thing.

Old
01-13-2014, 06:14 AM
VAIsles
Rest in Peace Radar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
This second half they will play like the team we all thought they would be, the one that would challenge for second on the metro, behind only Pitt.

They are climbing out of the hole to be sure, but a terrific second half here gets them in the playoffs. Plenty of games coming up against the Rags and Philly.

The bad start is in the past, these guys are living up to the pre season hype. The haters are in denial, and their all important status on HF hangs in the balance haha.

Bonzo loves it.

Relax my man they are still under .500 and 7/8 pts out of playoff spot. Cautious optimism might be the way to go. Temper expectations. IMO, Wang/Snow/Crapster still suck!

Old
01-13-2014, 06:23 AM
Renbarg

I like our chances if we obviously keep playing well. Yes there are a lot of teams in front of us, but there are also a lot of playoff spots up for grab (4!). All these teams are playing each other, there has to be a loser, so we'll start gaining points eventually.

2/3 on the remainder of this trip is an absolute must.

Old
01-13-2014, 08:35 AM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Of Bates View Post
Really? You're certain they'll play like that? Let's wait and see where we fall at the end of the year. They can play strong as hell, and it'd be great to see, but if they don't make the playoffs then it simply doesnt matter. No one will be talking about "the run of 2014" 5 years from now unless it results in post-season success.

I don't think, personally, that I'm judged around here as a "hater". I also don't really care what I'm judged as around these parts. I do consider myself to be a realistic fan. One who doesn't go ape**** when the team puts together a winning streak and one who doesn't jump off a cliff when the team sucked the 1st half of the year.

I still think Poulin is sub-par and needs work. I still think Nabokov isn't the answer. I do think the D needs work, including the flavor of the month deHaan. I do believe that, outside of the 1st line, the team has 0 scoring and desperately needs it. I believe that if we don't get the secondary scoring, we won't make the playoffs and, if we do, we won't succeed. Capuano is STILL not a good coach, though I'm sure you're praising him for work he still isn't doing behind the bench.

If it makes you feel better to consider me a "hater", while you lather yourself in all of the good vibes this team gave you tonight, feel free. But, I am not in any sort of denial. The team is performing exactly how they have every single year for the past 6 or so.
Wow. Talk about a reach. A kid who has played like a top-pairing defenseman after 20 NHL games needs work? What exactly are your expectations when it comes to rookies? Not sure about 'flavor of the month' either. Considering he's only been an NHLer for about a month, and it's not like he's some no name with no expectations.

Put it this way, if it wasn't de Haan, and if it was Reinhart instead playing like this - would you be calling him 'flavor of the month'?

Old
01-13-2014, 08:43 AM
Isles Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAIsles View Post
Relax my man they are still under .500 and 7/8 pts out of playoff spot. Cautious optimism might be the way to go. Temper expectations. IMO, Wang/Snow/Crapster still suck!
Cautious optimism is the perfect statement.

According to Newsday yesterday, since 08-09 , in an 82 games schedule, 17 Eastern Conference teams were at least eight points out of a playoff spot on January 11, where the Isles sat going into Saturday's games. Only one team, the 10-11 Sabres, made the playoffs.

The boys are playing well and are on a nice run, but that stat shows what a daunting task this really is.

Old
01-13-2014, 08:47 AM
VAIsles
Rest in Peace Radar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Fan View Post
Cautious optimism is the perfect statement.

According to Newsday yesterday, since 08-09 , in an 82 games schedule, 17 Eastern Conference teams were at least eight points out of a playoff spot on January 11, where the Isles sat going into Saturday's games. Only one team, the 10-11 Sabres, made the playoffs.

The boys are playing well and are on a nice run, but that stat shows what a daunting task this really is.
Exactly.... The last spot WC2 is going to have 90/91pts, most likely... Isles still need to continue to play at a .670 clip... They've played well lately BUT they dug themselves a crazy hole. No team in the NHL plays this on fire the whole season, so they will have another bump in the road AND they can't afford more than a 2 game non point streak.

Old
01-13-2014, 09:16 AM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAIsles View Post
Exactly.... The last spot WC2 is going to have 90/91pts, most likely... Isles still need to continue to play at a .670 clip... They've played well lately BUT they dug themselves a crazy hole. No team in the NHL plays this on fire the whole season, so they will have another bump in the road AND they can't afford more than a 2 game non point streak.
while true, this next stretch will determine the season...

we need to take care of business against the FLA teams, which should be doable....at least 3 points in the next 2 games....

we then have a stretch where we play against philly 2 times and the rags 3.....if we can get thru the end of the month, win most of these games and play .500 against the other teams (very tough schedule) it wont look as daunting as it does now

Old
01-13-2014, 09:22 AM
Tavaresfan91

LETS GO ISLANDERS...gotta get back to 500 by Olympic break, don't have the hardest schedule the rest of the way. Just have to take it game by game and see what happens, really like vanek and JT and I hope we keep him

Old
01-13-2014, 09:24 AM
VAIsles
Rest in Peace Radar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic View Post

we need to take care of business against the FLA teams, which should be doable....at least 3 points in the next 2 games....

we then have a stretch where we play against philly 2 times and the rags 3.....if we can get thru the end of the month, win most of these games and play .500 against the other teams (very tough schedule) it wont look as daunting as it does now
beLIeve me (see what I did there) I'd love to see it. The team is once again fun to watch, BUT I can't see a playoff berth yet.

Old
01-13-2014, 10:01 AM
bluechipbonzo

Not sure where I read it, but with the new playoff format and weak eastern conference, 90 points will NOT be needed to make the playoffs...I heard 85 points could do it...and look at the standings- its Pitt, then the second and third spots in the metro are at wild card level...sure lots of teams to jump, but more open spots once we land- and this rocket is still just taking off!

Old
01-13-2014, 10:15 AM
WangMustGo
NYI

vCash: 3178
Quote:
Not sure where I read it, but with the new playoff format and weak eastern conference, 90 points will NOT be needed to make the playoffs...I heard 85 points could do it...and look at the standings- its Pitt, then the second and third spots in the metro are at wild card level...sure lots of teams to jump, but more open spots once we land- and this rocket is still just taking off!

The 2 wild card teams (Detroit and Philly) are on pace for 89 points, so it will likely take 90 points to make it.

I still don't think they make the playoffs, they have played great the past 15 games, and I give them credit for working hard, and breaking out of that hole. However they are still far back, but are getting within striking distance.

I said a couple of weeks ago that my hopes for the rest of the season will be to play as well as possible, and get as far away from that #1 pick as possible, anything more is gravy at this point.

Old
01-13-2014, 10:42 AM
Goombha
Consolation Prize

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic View Post

Agree. It's so hard to balance the head and the heart. They need to keep playing at the top of their game, getting the bounces, and getting some help along the way in divisional losses...head says not likely - then watching and enjoying them genuinely making the effort - heart says why not? I'm a fan first and foremost - not a NHL statistician - bring it!

Old
01-13-2014, 11:01 AM
blinkman360
Norris

Just keep winning. We'll play our divisional rivals enough in the next 35 games to not have to worry much about scoreboard watching... at least not yet.

This month alone we have the Flyers twice and the Rangers three times. Next month we get Washington and Toronto once. March we get Carolina, New Jersey and Columbus. Finally in April we get Ottawa twice, Washington once, New Jersey once, Columbus once.

Just by winning our games we can gain 6 points on NYR; 4 on Philly, Washington, Columbus, NJ, Ottawa; 2 on Toronto and Carolina.

Take it one game at a time and don't worry about the stuff that is out of their control.

Old
01-13-2014, 11:17 AM
FourRings

I'm gonna try and get some tickets to the Flyers game next Monday and one of the three Rags games. This is a huge stretch.

Old
01-13-2014, 11:25 AM
borisbadenough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goombha View Post
Agree. It's so hard to balance the head and the heart. They need to keep playing at the top of their game, getting the bounces, and getting some help along the way in divisional losses...head says not likely - then watching and enjoying them genuinely making the effort - heart says why not? I'm a fan first and foremost - not a NHL statistician - bring it!
Exactly Goomba.

Lets see how fast they can make it to 500.

Old
01-13-2014, 11:27 AM
bigd

If they can keep it going to the Olympic break we may get Vis back. Then we will have an NHL D, Hamonic-DeHaan
Amac-Strait
Vis-Hickey
Donovan back to BP
Carkner to the bench

Old
01-13-2014, 11:41 AM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 807
Quote:

Last year this is what the Metro playoffs would have looked like if the set up this season was in place:

Penguins
Capitals
Rangers
Canadiens
Bruins
Leafs
Senators
Red Wings

Islanders (that's right we would have missed the playoffs last season)

Making the playoffs WILL be harder for 2 major reasons:

1) Playoff spots available:

-Right now the Isles can only win 5 playoff spots (3 in the Metro, the 2 wild cards)
-Before they could win in 6 spots (atlantic, 4-8th place)

2) The East added a team in the conference. More teams competing = harder to make it in. Especially when one of those teams has been the best franchise over the past two decades.

In short: more teams competing against the Isles, and fewer spots available make it tougher for us to get into the playoffs.

Old
01-13-2014, 11:53 AM
RMimagery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
Last year this is what the Metro playoffs would have looked like if the set up this season was in place:

Penguins
Capitals
Rangers
Canadiens
Bruins
Leafs
Senators
Red Wings

-Right now the Isles can only win 5 playoff spots (3 in the Metro, the 2 wild cards)

2) The East added a team in the conference. More teams competing = harder to make it in. Especially when one of those teams has been the best franchise over the past two decades.

In short: more teams competing against the Isles, and fewer spots available make it tougher for us to get into the playoffs.
But you failed to mention that getting 3rd in the division could be easier than the traditional 8th seed in the past. It isn't at the moment because the Rangers are streaking as well, but will probably change.

I'm the yin to your yang double S.

Old
01-13-2014, 11:58 AM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 807
Quote:
But you failed to mention that getting 3rd in the division could be easier than the traditional 8th seed in the past. It isn't at the moment because the Rangers are streaking as well, but will probably change.

I'm the yin to your yang double S.
Getting 8th seed means you're the mediocre team in the conference-you have to beat as many people in the stands as are in front of you. Winning 3rd in the new division you need to finish 3rd out of 8 teams-meaning you have to finish in front of more teams (5), than finish in front of you (2).

In other word: it's easier to finish 8th place out of 15 teams than it is to finish 3rd out of 8.

If the same setup of today was used previously you would have to go back to 2004 (10 years) to the last time the Islanders would have finished 3rd in the metro.

Last edited by ScaredStreit: 01-13-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old
01-13-2014, 12:19 PM
13th Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post

Penguins
Capitals
Rangers
Canadiens
Bruins
Leafs
Senators
Red Wings

The uneven divisions doesn't make it any harder/easier to make the playoffs. You count from the top, not from the bottom. You can look at it both ways, which renders it moot. Let's say you are the Tampa Bay Lightning. Does it matter that both Buffalo and Florida suck at the bottom of your division versus having only one of them? In fact, having both crappy teams is better for you since you get to play them both more often. The chances of the 'extra team' being an elite team versus being a crappy team are the same, so it averages out to nothing. Similarly, it seems nice if say, Columbus, isn't in our division because we'd have one less team to jump. But if you remove them from the standings, it's still exactly the same, just without the psychological lift of jumping them in the standings. In fact, having them there helps as more Metro teams can beat up each other (both teams can't get 2 points in a night, so if you win, you can gain).

Baseball had uneven divisions for years and proved it did nothing. The historic thresholds to make the playoffs remain the same, doesn't matter if there's 6 teams behind you or 7 or 8. It matters if you have a crappy division or very good division, which is dependent on the teams themselves, not the number of teams. I'd rather be in the 8 team Metro than the 7 team Pacific.

Old
01-13-2014, 12:36 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 50
So.... What are the haters gonna do if the Isles make it? Will they finally admit they were wrong?

01-13-2014, 12:48 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
So.... What are the haters gonna do if the Isles make it? Will they finally admit they were wrong?
Make it and eliminated after 1: "Still can't win a playoff round"
Make it and eliminated after 2: "Big deal.. made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs"
Make it and eliminated after 3: "Anything short of the Cup is a disappointment"
Make it and eliminated in the finals: see above
Make it and win Cup: "Fluke. Nabokov/Poulin will never play this well again; Vanek will leave; CdH is a one hit wonder" etc.

Old
01-13-2014, 12:57 PM
13th Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Make it and eliminated after 1: "Still can't win a playoff round"
Make it and eliminated after 2: "Big deal.. made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs"
Make it and eliminated after 3: "Anything short of the Cup is a disappointment"
Make it and eliminated in the finals: see above
Make it and win Cup: "Fluke. Nabokov/Poulin will never play this well again; Vanek will leave; CdH is a one hit wonder" etc.
Exactly. A haters job is to hate. Don't think some logic or success is going to get in the way of hating. They just shift their focus of hatred.

Old
01-13-2014, 01:29 PM
Strome18

Quote:
Now a 4.6% chance, up from a 1.5% less than 2 weeks ago. And that's just math, doesn't account for things like 4 in a row, 7 in a row on the road, 5 come from behind on the road wins, one of the best top lines in the game last 15...

added bonus to the winning streak:

it really whittles down the ton of negative posters, whom we all know by now very well, who really like to repeat themselves in case you missed what they said a half page ago. The Vanek thread, 1800 posts strong with hate, but that's dissipating now finally.

It seems like there are way more debbie downers this season. Maybe because we had some success making the playoffs with a sick run last year and hopes were high. It seems that they enjoy to troll their own board saying things like the season's over, Vanish, Vanek will never sign, JT isn't consistent enough (yeahrightcough) and on and on.

With de Haan, Strome and Nelson replacing Ness, PMB and Regin - and Vanek playing as well as anyone could've hoped, we're a different team now. Dare I say that Poulin has learned a thing or two, including how to hold onto his stick.

Whatever will you guys do if they make it?
ALL OF THIS AND MORE I AGREE WITH!

Closed Thread