HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sarno is in!!

Closed Thread

Old
10-02-2003, 08:21 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Sarno is in!!

Tell ya what, I just got back from the game a bit ago, and I was VERY impressed with Sarno! People are worried about how he'll be on the point for the powerplay, well I'll tell ya what, this guy was the best player on the powerplay (well Hemsky, i guess....)! Sarno and Hemsky moved the puck back and forth (and Sarno wasn't scared to shoot the puck). He let a great shot ago and got a goal, but also let go two or three good, low, hard shots as well. This guy REALLY impressed me - and I think on a line with Torres (who hadda helluva night) and Laraque, we could have one of the most dynamic fourth lines in the NHL. I really can't say enough about him - he made the Oilers powerplay more then a one man show (Hemsky). But here are my lines for this season. I think that was the last try out game, as I'll be very suprised if MacT doesn't try and get what he'll go with in the reg. season a game before next Thrusday. these are assuming (and praying) everybody is healthy:

*Smyth-York-Hemsky
Hemsky and Smyth are obvious, and York looked fantastic with Hemsky tonight. I think this line could be good for 90 goals.

*Isbister-Horcoff-Dvorak
Isbister was good tonight and was even better the night before, I was very impressed with his play. Horc and Dvo haven't played for a bit, but I think they are pretty easy choices. should be good for 65-70 goals.

*Moreau-Reasoner-Chimera
Pisani has really slipped on the charts this camp, and I think if Chimmer can play RW, he fits great there. Rita i think will be in the AHL, as he didn't earn himself a job (wasn't as good as first half of camp). Salmo was really agressive out there and made the defense hurry. He's great on the forcheck, and his shot would give Reasoner another option on RW. So if Chimmer can't play RW then Salmo takes the job easily. Whom ever in RWer I think 50 goals should be expected.

*Torres-Sarno-Laraque
Torres had a great game, he was getting dirty, and capitalized on his chances. Sarno would be a perfect fit on that line as with Laraques cycling prowess, and Torres' grit and respectable hands, Sarno is the missing link to help this line capitalize on some of the numerous chances they are sure to create. IMO this would be one of the top 6-7 fourth lines in the NHL. I think 30-35 goals would be a reasonable bar.

Blue line needs less talking about:
Brewer-Semenov
Smith-Staios
Ferguson-Cross (Bergeron, splits with Fergy)

Bergeron might not see to many games Sarno plays half as good on the powerplay all year as he did tonight. That blueline is pretty damn dependable and if Sarno can take up one of the PP point spots (as with York, who looked ok out there too) that will take alot of pressure off our blue line. Brewer is a fix on our PP and I think Staios and Semenov would split time on the second unit (Bergeron would obviously get PP minutes if he's in the lineup).

left out:
Stoll - top minutes would be good for his hands. His PKing isn't seriously needed with Chimera/Morea/Reasoner/Pisani/York all being more then capable.
Rita-simply hasn't made MacT keep him - which he'll need to do. I guess there is an outside shot for him at the RW spot, but IMO Salmo out played him.
Wright- probably press box material, as he's a dependable player. should be extra LWer
Luoma- give him 20 games to adjust to the North American game and I think we'll see him back up here.
Pisani - see Wright, but at RW
Bobby Allen - if we need him I worry about our blueline

Old
10-02-2003, 08:39 PM
jadeddog

pretty much the exact lines that i think macT will go with, but i think he might go with stoll s 4th line C... afterall, macT *was* who he was in the NHL because of his solid D play, and he seems really impressed with stoll for that aspect of his game

either way, stoll or sarno, i dont really think its a bad move by the oil.... though i am a little worried about sarno's defensive play

Old
10-02-2003, 08:54 PM
Hemsky4PM

No doubt Sarno had a good night, but as always, IT'S PRESEASON. Calgary iced a sub-par line-up tonight. Will be interesting to see Saturday when Bergeron and Sarno both (likely) play. Horcoff as the 2nd line center? Not too sure right now. He's been hurt, and will certainly be in the opening line-up. IF Smyth stays at center I see:

Isbister Smyth Dvorak
Chimera York Hemsky (Mac T loved this line)
Moreau Reasoner Pisani (Mac T loves Fernando, no way he sits)
Torres Horcoff Laraque

Bergeron takes the no.6 d spot. Sarno and Salmo are the extras. IFFFFF Comrie comes back that means Chimera or Torres comes out with Smyth going to the left side again. If he is dealt for another centre, the same applies. Either way, Sarno and Salmelainen will rely on the poor play and slumps of others to get into the line-up. Also, a guy like Torres and Pisani are probably no.11 and 12 on the forward depth chart. So those four: Pisani, Sarno, Torres and Salmo could shuffle in and out every once in a while.

Old
10-02-2003, 08:59 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

I would be VERY suprised to see Hemsky NOT with Smyth.... Although I do feel that there it doesn't make sense for both Bergeron and Sarno to be in the lineup together.... I think who ever plays the best Saturday will be in the lineup to be a big part of the PP. And I know it's just preseason, but what else would you like to go by? Bergeron's half dozen games? That hardly gives a true indicator of what kind of player he'll be.

Old
10-02-2003, 09:16 PM
coyote

I can't believe that anyone would put Sarno in instead of Stoll. Sarno belongs back in Europe were there is no hitting. We need size up the middle and Stoll fits the bill. We do not need another midget at center. If both Bergeron and Sarno make this team you may as well kiss our playoff's good bye because they are both brutle defensively. Stoll can dish it out as well as take it, Sarno forget it. Besides Mct said Sarno had a good game which is probably the kiss of death for him.

Old
10-02-2003, 09:49 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Is anybody else getting sick of speculations, predictions and projected line-ups. Well guess what, one more week and we will be able to stop!!!

Old
10-03-2003, 02:46 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
left out:
Stoll - top minutes would be good for his hands. His PKing isn't seriously needed with Chimera/Morea/Reasoner/Pisani/York all being more then capable.
If Chimmer is one of the Oilers penalty killers, we are in a lot of trouble. He is one of the last forwards we should be putting out there on the PK.

Old
10-03-2003, 03:08 AM
copperaddict

Before people start writing off this season because we are a couple of inches shorter down the middle than some other teams, that should take a long look to see what's more important in this game.I'd take the size of Briere over Gratton or Primeau any day of the week because of heart. No one is writing off the Red Wings because they are even smaller down the middle then us.
If it's not one thing it's another! Before it was that we lacked a second line, now we shouldn't here that complaint for a few years.

There is a storm warning for Edmonton next week with Tornado Torres rolling through.

Old
10-03-2003, 04:02 AM
Spearing47

Send a message via MSN to Spearing47
Quote:
I would be VERY suprised to see Hemsky NOT with Smyth.... Although I do feel that there it doesn't make sense for both Bergeron and Sarno to be in the lineup together.... I think who ever plays the best Saturday will be in the lineup to be a big part of the PP. And I know it's just preseason, but what else would you like to go by? Bergeron's half dozen games? That hardly gives a true indicator of what kind of player he'll be.
Sarno played 0 games in the NHL...I don't think it's a good indicator too...

Old
10-03-2003, 04:19 AM
Lowetide

Sarno certainly helped himself tonight, but I think Stoll still has a shot at making this team. The pp sucked last season, but so did the pk, and Stoll brings alot of other things.

It's good to know that this team has some tough decisions to make, because for many camps now it's been a no-brainer in terms of who to keep.

Old
10-03-2003, 05:31 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
Is anybody else getting sick of speculations, predictions and projected line-ups. Well guess what, one more week and we will be able to stop!!!
But remember last year when the lines weren't set until mid November? I hope you are right.

Old
10-03-2003, 06:22 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Well Chimera could be taught to be an excellent PKer.... his speed and strength would be perfect if he could learn. But who I actually ment to put in his place is Dvo, who is an excellent PKer. York and Dvorak on the PK would be a very serious threat to score!

Old
10-03-2003, 06:24 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

I also think people are under-rating Sarno's defensive ability. He isn't as brutal as he was in the past. He's made huge strides (I think playing in Europe must have helped him last year). He's not a liability on the ice any more, and as long as he doesn't hurt us (doesn't have to be a defensive anchor) then I think his offense and BIG time help for the powerplay is a good fit for this team. I do like Stoll too and wouldn't be disapointed to see him play, I just don't want to see him become just a checker - I'd like to see him go to TO and play first line minutes and PP minutes and become more of a Mike Peca type then a Chris Draper.

Old
10-03-2003, 06:57 AM
barto

Quote:
I also think people are under-rating Sarno's defensive ability. He isn't as brutal as he was in the past. He's made huge strides (I think playing in Europe must have helped him last year). He's not a liability on the ice any more, and as long as he doesn't hurt us (doesn't have to be a defensive anchor) then I think his offense and BIG time help for the powerplay is a good fit for this team. I do like Stoll too and wouldn't be disapointed to see him play, I just don't want to see him become just a checker - I'd like to see him go to TO and play first line minutes and PP minutes and become more of a Mike Peca type then a Chris Draper.
Agreed on both players (Sarno/Stoll). I also agree with you on Chimera - when you have his wheels, that's a great start. Remember, guys like Weight & Smyth (among many others) have learned to become decent PKers, although Smyth hasn't been used in that role much for a while. Anyway, it's possible to learn to be a good PKer.

Bart

Old
10-03-2003, 07:44 AM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
Right. Then we can start second guessing MacT's lineups.

Old
10-03-2003, 01:53 PM
coyote

For a guy that everyone seems to right off because he is bad defensively, has got no hands and can't penalty kill he seems to get the job done. Seems to get his share of goals and ususally the most hits of anyone on the team. I think that what this kid needs is some confidence. It seems every year he has to prove himself more then anyone else. Mct never did give him a decent chance to prove himself but he did anyway by scoreing 14 goals last year. This alone should have given him the edge of makeing the starting line-up but it looks like he has to prove himself more then anyone else again. If he is not in the starting line -up this year like he wasn't last year I think that Mct should go and have himself evaluated as a head coach.

Old
10-03-2003, 03:00 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
For a guy that everyone seems to right off because he is bad defensively, has got no hands and can't penalty kill he seems to get the job done. Seems to get his share of goals and ususally the most hits of anyone on the team. I think that what this kid needs is some confidence. It seems every year he has to prove himself more then anyone else. Mct never did give him a decent chance to prove himself but he did anyway by scoreing 14 goals last year. This alone should have given him the edge of makeing the starting line-up but it looks like he has to prove himself more then anyone else again. If he is not in the starting line -up this year like he wasn't last year I think that Mct should go and have himself evaluated as a head coach.
Who?

Old
10-03-2003, 03:04 PM
Lowetide

Chimera.

Old
10-03-2003, 03:11 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Chimera.
Chimera surely has hands, and is on the PK. The guy's a good hockey player. One thing he does quite well is finish the good chances. Alot of the players on the team don't have that ability.

To go back to Sarno for a minute, one of the main reasons we need a guy like him on the team, is we lack shooting ability. Sarno can fire it, and he wants to fire it.

Closed Thread