HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Tribute to the Alumni game(s)

Old
01-04-2014, 03:24 AM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

vCash: 500
Tribute to the Alumni game(s)

I just watched both alumni games between the Red Wings and Leafs and thoroughly enjoyed the way the games were played, the effort and spirit of the players. So much so, that I thought I'd start a thread. Here are some of my observations/highlights. Feel free to add your own:

- In another thread, we were talking about goalies past and present and I was quite impressed that Favell and Palmateer wore their old equipment. Favell's was from 1972. Unfortunately, he had to drop down in the first seconds of the game and had such a hard time getting up he had to pull himself from the game. Palmateer made some great saves.
- Red Berensen, at 74 years old, wins the draw with the extra attacker on in game 1 and then knocks over Dave McIllwain. He played helmetless too.
- Lanny MacDonald lets go one of his great wrist shots to find the top corner in the second game.
- Darryl Sittler wore the only set of shoulder pads he ever used in the NHL. All felt, no caps.
- Scotty Bowman coached the Wings, but I couldn't see who was coaching the Leafs. I heard Johnny Bower was behind the bench.
- The Wings in the second game with Lidstrom, Fedorov, Chelios, Larionov and Kozlov looked like they were going to dominate the game, but the hearty Leafs led by Domi, Lanny and McCabe came back to tie the game in the last few seconds to send it to a shootout.
- The pace of the games was actually pretty good. There was some checking but no hard hitting.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 02:38 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

vCash: 500
Oh yeah, and Brad Marsh looked like he hadn't lost a step.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote