HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Forsberg and Naslund?

View Poll Results: Do You Want Us To Sign Forsberg and Naslund?
YES 63 58.33%
NO 45 41.67%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2005, 11:18 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Forsberg and Naslund?

YES or NO

Pretty simple.

Old
07-30-2005, 11:19 AM
Leetchie

Send a message via AIM to Leetchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor
YES or NO

Pretty simple.

Either or.

Old
07-30-2005, 11:22 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetchie
Either or.
Presume it's gotta be both or neither.

Old
07-30-2005, 11:23 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

No thanks. We are in rebuild mode. No need for stars to hog all the ice time on the PP and in the final minutes. Let our players develop and form a core for this team then we'll see what happens after.

Old
07-30-2005, 11:43 AM
Evgeny Oliker

As I am sure you guys can tell by my name here...Forsberg is my favorite player. I think we have to look at this more carefully though. If Forsberg and Naslund want around 5-7 million each...FORGET IT! If,however, they can work with something like what Selanne and Kariya did in Colorado...why not think about it? If they come as a reasonable package and we let's say end up paying 8 million for BOTH...we will still have LOTS of cap room left! Also, with these two stars, we will still have lots of room for guys like Jessiman to play!

I say at least talk to them...they are both in early 30's, not that old

Old
07-30-2005, 11:44 AM
Taz

I say yes simply, we dont have ANY top line prospects at all really we need something to watch, also they have great attitudes and can show the kids how to play, mix them up on the PP with the kids and maybe stick Prucha or Jessiman with them later in the season, with Jagr being stupided again it would let us trade him later on or move up the draft?

they are also both slightly younger then Jagr and although Forsberg has injuries i can see this as a good move.

Prucha - Forsberg - Naslund
Lundmark - Nylander - Jagr
Giroux - Immonen - Murray
Ortmeyer - Hollwegg - Strudwick

Tyutin - Leetch
Kondratiev - Poti
Kasper - Pock/Lampman/ Purinton

Old
07-30-2005, 12:30 PM
Goulet17

Naslund would have to be looking for $5 million plus based on what he has made over his career. Forsberg has the flexibility to take a Kariya type of salary. However, ever since he was a young child he has always played for championships, it is what drives him. Why would he take pennies on the dollars with the Rangers? They aren't cup contenders, and it is hard to imagine he takes that much less just to play with Naslund and a 7 hour plane flight to Sweden.

If Forsberg and Naslund both go to the Rangers, it will be for $5 million plus for each.

Old
07-30-2005, 01:42 PM
nyr5186

Big no.

Save the money, open up cap space for the Thorntons, Kovalchuks, etc. in a few years. Forsberg and Naslund serve no purpose on a young, rebuilding team.

Old
07-30-2005, 06:01 PM
in the hall

there are certain players you make exceptions for

you guys are dreamers if you think kovalchuk and thornton are ours, bet you also thought we'd end up with crosby and ovechkin at some point

naslund and forsberg are not typical overpaid players that come here, they are legitimate top flight players while not at their peaks, they are tops in the NHL

Old
07-30-2005, 06:49 PM
eco's bones

I don't know. Will they find room for the Giroux's and the Lampman's? Because if they're not there's no point. I'd like to see a number of our players who are close get a real shot. The one thing I think about with Forsberg anyway is if he stays healthy he can make other players better. That's a temptation. I'm not sure that money is itself that big an issue. I don't think we're going to reach the max. And if it comes down to choosing Forsberg or Messier (and I don't want to take anything
away from what once was a great player) it would be Forsberg for sure.

Old
07-30-2005, 07:11 PM
patnyrnyg

If these guys WANT to come here as a package, then obviously they are willing to take less money than the open market would indicate. If Sather has the chance and the demands are reasonable ~4MM per, then it is a no-brainer. You cannot put Jagr-Nylander and 10 kids out there as our forwards. The kids would get eaten alive, Jagr would be miserable and come trade deadline day he'd be looking to get traded and the Rangers will not get fair value for him.

Old
07-30-2005, 07:14 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz
I say yes simply, we dont have ANY top line prospects at all really we need something to watch, also they have great attitudes and can show the kids how to play, mix them up on the PP with the kids and maybe stick Prucha or Jessiman with them later in the season, with Jagr being stupided again it would let us trade him later on or move up the draft?

they are also both slightly younger then Jagr and although Forsberg has injuries i can see this as a good move.

Prucha - Forsberg - Naslund
Lundmark - Nylander - Jagr
Giroux - Immonen - Murray
Ortmeyer - Hollwegg - Strudwick

Tyutin - Leetch
Kondratiev - Poti
Kasper - Pock/Lampman/ Purinton
Prucha and Lundmark as the top 2 LW's? WOW. I know LW is thin league-wide, but that would be terrible. Forsberg, Naslund, and Jagr would have to combine for about 1.4 million goals for that line-up to make the play-offs.

Old
07-30-2005, 07:20 PM
Bacchus

Want? Yes.
Believe? No.

Old
07-30-2005, 08:02 PM
Trottier
Very Random

The poll should be rephrased:

Do you want NYR to sign arguably the best player in the world and 2 of the top players on the planet?

I recognize the bad karma NYR has had with big names in recent years. But this is a no-brainer, if the numbers are cap friendly, short- and long-term. I'm bias toward Forsberg, but if he signs with NYR might be enough to get me over to the dark side.

You do not pass up opportunities like this. We're talking about great talents, winners with HEART. It could be argued that HEART was somewhat lacking in the more recent litany of "superstars" to come to NYC.

And for those lusting for a rebuild in Manhattan - you can have your rebuild! No better way to start than with a strong foundation. Surround the kids with these two and off you go.

Old
07-30-2005, 08:06 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg
If these guys WANT to come here as a package, then obviously they are willing to take less money than the open market would indicate. If Sather has the chance and the demands are reasonable ~4MM per, then it is a no-brainer. You cannot put Jagr-Nylander and 10 kids out there as our forwards. The kids would get eaten alive, Jagr would be miserable and come trade deadline day he'd be looking to get traded and the Rangers will not get fair value for him.
Basically Naslund + Forsberg for Holik and throw in another million? Might make a
player out of Balej or Lundmark to boot. On the other hand you could probably kiss any chance at kessell goodbye. There's pluses. There's minuses. I'm glad I'm not the one making these decisions. Then again I'm not so glad that Glen is.

Old
07-30-2005, 09:00 PM
Skroob*

Forsberg and Naslund would go a long way in getting us that coveted 8th-10th overall next year. Who needs Phil Kessel anyway?

Old
07-30-2005, 09:27 PM
Sonny Lamateena

I say no. Stay the course, we need to keep building through the draft and aquiring and developing young players. Most importantly we need to have cap room open as the free agency age comes down and younger players come on the market. These aren't the players we're looking for.

Old
07-30-2005, 10:06 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skroob
Forsberg and Naslund would go a long way in getting us that coveted 8th-10th overall next year. Who needs Phil Kessel anyway?
I agree with Trottier on Forsberg and his heart. A little less so with Naslund. And to get Kessell we're going to have to suffer a lot (as if we haven't been doing a lot of that already). It seems like we're never going to get that elite player out of the draft. That's why I bring up Kessell. I think you try to balance being possibly a competitive team (that may easily fall short of making the playoffs) with being a non competitive team that gets a huge building block as its reward. A player like Forsberg though might make a difference to the Lundmarks and Balejs---playoffs or
not.

Old
07-30-2005, 10:21 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones
Basically Naslund + Forsberg for Holik and throw in another million? Might make a
player out of Balej or Lundmark to boot. On the other hand you could probably kiss any chance at kessell goodbye. There's pluses. There's minuses. I'm glad I'm not the one making these decisions. Then again I'm not so glad that Glen is.
Well, that's just it. Not bringing them in does not guarantee the first overall, secondly kessell may not live up to the hype of a first overall. If you can bring these two in for the same price you would have paid Holik, you have to do it. Otherwise, they should trade Jagr now. At $4-$4.5MM towards the cap, he is probably the best value in terms of talent vs. salary in the World, in ANY sport and I think he could bring back a VERY nice package.

Old
07-30-2005, 11:48 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

**** rebuilding. It's FORSBERG AND NASLUND.

Old
07-31-2005, 01:21 AM
NYR469

will people ever learn?? 7 years of going after the big names and throwing them together has gotten us where?? and then people wonder why the team thinks fans won't stick to a rebuild, maybe its because people on a website dedicate to hockey prospects are ready to throw away the rebuild plans the second a big name is dangled in from of them...

there is a reason all the free agents have failed here and that is because we weren't a team, didn't have a system, etc...this year we should bring in character guys and with the character vets helping teach the kids like the framework for the team. it'll make it a long year but the kids will improve and the foundation will be set...then next summer when you see where the holes are you can look toward free agency to move things forward...

if we sign these 2 that means a naslund-forsberg-jagr line getting double and triple shifted until they start trading away kids to get immediate help...its the rangers, you know it will happen.

everyone in the organization claims they are committed to youth well this is their first test...

and i also have to question their movitation for wanting to come here...if they are willing to take less $$ to play together, why don't they take less $$ to play for a contender?? naslund has never won a cup. calgary has plenty of cap room, why wouldn't they call calgary and offer to play there cheap??

Old
07-31-2005, 07:12 AM
patnyrnyg

They have A LOT of cap room and there is no way they are going to play Jagr, Nylander and 10 rookies/kids as their forwards. Adding Naslund and Forsberg still leaves PLENTY of room for the kids to play.

Old
07-31-2005, 08:15 AM
eco's bones

Anybody see any potential problem between Naslund and Dominic Moore?

Old
07-31-2005, 09:14 AM
NYC Aim 4588

vCash:
NO no no NO NO NO NO

This is a rebuild which i thought every one wanted, well I guess you NYR fans havent learned a lesson yet from previous signing's. Forsberg 33 and injury prone and Naslund just about 30, who is leaving Vancouver why, I guess GREED. He has No reason to leave there ( VAN ) they treated him good and they were a winning team.

Within the next year or 2 there will be plenty of F.A out there that are only going to be 26 and 27 I would rather wait to see instead of jumping on what ever sounds good. I would rather see NYR pick up more or less a good scoring winger and a good player versatile at playing any of the 3 lines ( some one who vcould fill in on 1st ,second or third lines ) . Players like Brunette, Stillman, Rucinsky ( who wants to be here , and jst for that should be signed )McCarty even Andrew Cassels as a 3rd line checking center would be nice.

Players like those not everyone but 2or 3 I would more than welcome.

Old
07-31-2005, 09:16 AM
NYC Aim 4588

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg
. Adding Naslund and Forsberg still leaves PLENTY of room for the kids to play.
I know your right it does , PLENTY OF ROOM ON THE THIRD AND FOURTH LINES, where they will learn and grow from such a huge amount of play, plus playing the 3rd and 4th lines, is so much better than having them getting 1st and second line time...

Closed Thread