HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What are your biggest hockey-related pet peeves?

Old
05-05-2014, 09:05 PM
Ryker

vCash: 500
What are your biggest hockey-related pet peeves?

What are your biggest hockey-related pet peeves? Could be NHL-specific or just hockey "lore", rules, whatever, in general. Mine, in no particular order, are:

- "clean ice for the powerplay at the beginning of a period advantage"
- "in a 2-on-1, take away the pass"
- "the jinx" fear moreso than in other sports
- the notion you should let up when up by a somewhat wide margin (this seems to be NHL-specific)
- (not) playing a goalie based on his record against a team
- "what if whatever penalty we disagree with is going to decide the Stanley Cup" (oh no!)
- giving the goalie one's own stick when he loses his
- overtime rules in the NHL playoffs, since it's boring watching 3 overtimes

Comment and give your own.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 09:09 PM
LegionOfDoom91

The idiots that yell "shoot it!" every time the puck touches a players stick on the power play at games, truly annoying.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 09:11 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
The idiots that yell "shoot it!" every time the puck touches a players stick on the power play at games, truly annoying.
Yeah, that's quite annoying.

I'll add two more:
- "we need to play a 60-minute game"
- on a 2-on-1, if the player shoots, but misses, the sentiment "he should've passed!", but if he passes, but the play gets messed up or something, "he should've shot!"

Old
05-05-2014, 09:18 PM
The Dream
User Registered

Quote:
That and the booing. I can't stand when fans boo when our powerplay does not go exactly they way we want. You boo lack of effort, it is not like the players are not trying. You boo when players like Jimmy Rollins lazily walk to first on a ground ball out, etc, etc, etc.

We lost players like J.D. Drew, Scott Rolen and Joni Pitkanen to just name a few, because of our dumb fans. Philly has only 1 championship in last couple decades, you get what you boo for.

The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 09:21 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpinheiro4 View Post
That and the booing. I can't stand when fans boo when our powerplay does not go exactly they way we want. You boo lack of effort, it is not like the players are not trying. You boo when players like Jimmy Rollins lazily walk to first on a ground ball out, etc, etc, etc.

We lost players like J.D. Drew, Scott Rolen and Joni Pitkanen to just name a few, because of our dumb fans. Philly has only 1 championship in last couple decades, you get what you boo for.
Ah if a player can't handle booing than personally I don't want him on my team because it shows how mentally weak you are.

Old
05-05-2014, 09:27 PM
The Dream
User Registered

Quote:
Ah if a player can't handle booing than personally I don't want him on my team because it shows how mentally weak you are.
Booing is only part of the problem. Philly media+our dumb fans have cost us many players, and possibly championships. Contributing to the fact that Philly only has 1 championship since 1983. All we have is bunch of drunk idiots for fans. It is just disappointing.

Old
05-05-2014, 09:29 PM
Tankadelphia
Į\_(ツ)_/Į

Quote:
He means booing your own players, not booing in general. And I agree, it's your team, you shouldnt be booing them

Tankadelphia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 09:30 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neb45 View Post
He means booing your own players, not booing in general.
That's what LegionOfDoom91 meant, as well.

Old
05-05-2014, 09:32 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Quote:
Depends on the game. Half the time they're actually right

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 09:32 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Booing is only part of the problem. Philly media+our dumb fans have cost us many players, and possibly championships. Contributing to the fact that Philly only has 1 championship since 1983. All we have is bunch of drunk idiots for fans. It is just disappointing.
Yeah I'm not buying that it has cost us titles when your best examples are Pitkanen & Rolen, Drew wouldn't play here because the Phils wouldn't pony up money not because the fans btw.

It comes with the territory if you have any desire of playing in a big market, if you can't handle it then go down to Miami where nobody gives a **** about you or sports in general down there.

There's been plenty of players on record saying how they love when fans are straight up with them, there's even a commercial Comcast runs with Giroux even saying so.

John Kruk had some great quotes on the subject during his speech when the Phils put him in their HoF a few years ago.
Quote:
You hear players, media people, say that itís tough to play in Philly in front of these fans, to those people I say: you didnít have the guts to succeed here!
http://the700level.com/baseball-phil...f-fame-speech/

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 05-05-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old
05-05-2014, 09:41 PM
The Dream
User Registered

Quote:
Yeah I'm not buying that it has cost us titles when your best examples are Pitkanen & Rolen, Drew wouldn't play here because the Phils wouldn't pony up money not because the fans btw.

It comes with the territory if you have any desire of playing in a big market, if you can't handle it then go down to Miami were nobody gives a **** about you or sports in general.
Maybe some big name FA like Suter would have come here, but nope. This is all speculative of course, but over time I am sure it has cost us some valuable players, and Philly has been very very close over the years to winning a championship and maybe one guy that choose not to come here due to our dumb fans, and that guy may have pushed us over the edge. If I am a NHL free agent and all things equal, I would much rather play in Minnesota than Philly.

You get what you boo for.

I am happy our fans are committed and want to win, so maybe my pet peeve in reality is unintelligent fans that come to the games to get drunk.

Quote:
You hear players, media people, say that it’s tough to play in Philly in front of these fans, to those people I say: you didn’t have the guts to succeed here!
What have those players who have "guts" gotten us? 1 title since 1983.

Old
05-05-2014, 09:58 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Maybe some big name FA like Suter would have come here, but nope. This is all speculative of course, but over time I am sure it has cost us some valuable players, and Philly has been very very close over the years to winning a championship and maybe one guy that choose not to come here due to our dumb fans, and that guy may have pushed us over the edge. If I am a NHL free agent and all things equal, I would much rather play in Minnesota than Philly.
Yeah, you're reaching here. Suter was going to follow Parise wherever he was going. Parise was from Minny & Sutter was from Wisconsin, their friendship from since they were teenagers & location was the key in the Wild signing the two.

Free agency is more prevalent in Baseball (no salary cap) & Football (no fully guaranteed contracts) than the other two sports now a days, the Phils & Eagles haven't been struggling to land top guys these last few years so yeah I'm not buying this.

Questionable management is more of a factor as to why there hasn't been much success in my opinion.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 05-05-2014 at 10:04 PM.
Old
05-05-2014, 11:04 PM
duffy9748

Quote:

What the **** are you talking about?

1. JD Drew never even played for the Phillies. He chose not to sign with the team after he was drafted because he wanted an insane amount of money.

2. Joni Pitkanen? How did the fans run him out of town? He was traded because he was inconsistent.

3. Scott Rolen demanded a trade because he didn't think management was trying to win.

4. These are the best examples you could come up with? Do you really think keeping any of these guys around would have brought more championships?

Last edited by duffy9748: 05-05-2014 at 11:11 PM.
duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 11:35 PM
The Dream
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
These are the best examples you could come up with? Do you really think keeping any of these guys around would have brought more championships?
You can only speculate. But, maybe. The tough bravado that is placed on Philadelphia is getting really old. It seems like most of our fanbase is made up of idiots, and I see a lot less of them when attending games in different stadiums across all 4 major professional sports leagues. Pet Peeve: Philadelphia's toughness. The notion that we are a tough, blue collar city is plain stupid. Almost every city is mostly blue collar.

Old
05-06-2014, 12:20 AM
Phileeguy
39.904N 75.168W

Quote:
You can only speculate. But, maybe.
See, you're getting into the "what if" game, and there's never an answer to that question. There's no way you're going to find out if anyone ever stayed away from a town because of its fan base without them implicitly saying so. When they're active players, they'll usually steer clear of answering this question because maybe that market is offering them the best deal or is their last chance to stay in their respective league, so why alienate people? And after they're done playing no one really cares to ask, because why open that can of worms?

And on top of that, if you did find out if they actually stayed away from the town because of the fan base, there's still no guarantee that their talent brings championship(s). The 2010 Phillies, on the heels of winning 2 NL Pennants, added talent in the best pitcher in baseball yet finished in the post-season worse than the year before. The 2011 Eagles thought they were loaded (along with a lot of pundits and fans) and that fool Vince Young touted them as the "Dream Team," and they needed to win the last 4 just to go 8-8.

Sports lends itself to the "what if" game often enough, especially in this town. IMO, there's no need to add another one. Especially one that I think is rather weak. I'd argue that most often the players go where the money is. If I had to list reasons for why players go to teams it probably has reasons near the top such as: How much will I be paid? What are my Chances to win a title? Who's coaching? How and when will I be played? What's best for my family? What's the town/schools like?... etc. How are the fans and how will they treat me? is probably at or near the bottom of that list most times.

Phileeguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:00 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by neb45 View Post
He means booing your own players, not booing in general. And I agree, it's your team, you shouldnt be booing them
fans should absolutely voice their displeasure if they feel they aren't getting an honest effort from their hockey club. People act like this a Philly thing.
stop it. it isn't.
I usually don't boo a lot. But I will boo my team if they deserve it.

I think most Flyer fans and Philly fans in any sport know when their team is giving an honest effort. If the team is playing hard for you and they are still losing I think most fans do not boo. Give the effort and you wont get booed. play like chumps and you will feel the wrath of the fans.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:35 AM
BillDineen

Anything that comes out of Doc Emrick's mouth.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:49 AM
StandingCow

People banging on the glass.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:54 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Luckily for you then that the staff at the WFC doesn't play games when it comes to that.

Old
05-06-2014, 02:23 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Good one, should've listed it, as well. Also, people in the front standing up and doing antics to appear on camera that shoots from up above.

Old
05-06-2014, 07:01 AM
The Dream
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
fans should absolutely voice their displeasure if they feel they aren't getting an honest effort from their hockey club. People act like this a Philly thing.
stop it. it isn't.
I usually don't boo a lot. But I will boo my team if they deserve it.

I think most Flyer fans and Philly fans in any sport know when their team is giving an honest effort. If the team is playing hard for you and they are still losing I think most fans do not boo. Give the effort and you wont get booed. play like chumps and you will feel the wrath of the fans.
You boo lack of effort. If a player is being lazy and not giving it his all, I am perfectly fine with booing him till he leaves. However, our fans boo when something does not go our way. Like when there is an obvious penalty against us, and then our fans proceed to boo the call. I really do not see that very often in other cities. It is just showing our intelligence as a fan base.

Old
05-06-2014, 07:32 AM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
When people act like a goal was soft even though it was a perfectly placed shot, and when people act like a goalie made a great save when all they did was keep their pad on the ice.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 07:38 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
HFBoards.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 08:44 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
And the people that stand up and look back to get on TV.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 08:51 AM
flyershockey

When people blame the team's leader/captain/best player for a series loss. I'd even add when people put an entire series loss on the shoulders of one or two players. Unless that player pulled a Bill Buckner or something like that, there's no way one guy loses an entire series.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote