HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Official: Rangers sign Marek Malik

Closed Thread

Old
08-03-2005, 09:00 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
I have in the past and will in the future. Perhaps you should read my posts about not buying out kasper before you posted this.

People are making a big deal out of this signing. Yeah it sucks but the Rangers are still 19 million under the cap with perhaps 3 more free agents to sign.

In order to fill out the roster the rangers are going to have to overpay guys. Honestly who is going to want to come here with zero chance to win and with an organization that has out and out said they are not going to drastically improve the team.

They overpayed for Malik big deal

You yourself has extolled the benefits of playing in New York. But if you believe you need to overpay to get guys to come here, why overpay this guy? What was the market? Who really wanted this guy? This the the worst example of overpaying for a guy that this franchise has had since Smith bid against himself for Fleury.

What you can't ignore is Sather has been an awful at evaluating talent at the NHL level and he goes out an commits a huge chunk of cash to a mediocre defenseman.

If you think that Sather should have bought out Kaspar, this deal should seem even worse to you.

There is a salary cap no. Every move made will affect the next move that is made. Overpaying for Malik IS a big deal.

Old
08-03-2005, 09:06 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

It just seems that Sather should have been able to get this guy for less money and/or less years.

Old
08-03-2005, 09:07 AM
True Blue

"maybe Malik was a guy our team really wanted to have around for the rebuild, no matter the price."

On a rebuilding team, in a salary cap era, there is not such thing as "no matter the price". Sather just paid a 6/7 defenseman to be on the second pair. As has been Sather's mantra, he overpaid a guy to be something he is not.

"I only have a problem with this signing if Poti stays."

Where is Poti going? Other GM's have seen him play last year. Trading him for Salvador will only occur in EA Sports.

"This is the market for these types of defenseman."

This is NOT the market for 6/7th defensemen. Heck, as Fletch had said, for around $750k, he could have had Hatcher or Rathe, had they wanted to come here. The Malik signing was simply atrocious.

"They overpayed for Malik big deal"

On a rebuilding team in the salary cap era, it most certainly IS a big deal.

Old
08-03-2005, 09:10 AM
Levitate

Quote:
"It's good to see that lockout didn't dull the skills of Rangers GM Glen Sather. He confused most around the league by signing journeyman defenseman Marek Malik, who played with the Canucks in 2003-04, to an oversized contract

The Rangers inked Malik to a three-year deal worth $7.5 million. That is $2.5 million per year.

One top NHL exec, hearing the news of the signing, had the following response: "Who's he?"

At $2.5 million per season, he's much more wealthy than he should be. "
this is plain stupid. it's one thing to debate the wisdom of paying malik $2.5 million, it's another to be a dumbass like hradek.

if a "top NHL exec" doesn't know who Malik is, he should be fired. and Malik is not a journeyman defenseman...he's played for two franchises in his entire career. that's not what I call a Journeyman...he played in the Hartford/Carolina franchise for most of his career, then went to Vancouver for 2 seasons and immediately put up high +/- numbers. course maybe hradek got confused and didn't realize that Hartford and Carolina are the same franchise...that would be par for course with ESPN

Old
08-03-2005, 09:14 AM
CrookedRain

Does anyone actually know the details of the contract?
Is it possible, next year, if he performs poorly to be bought out and dumped in order to make more salary cap room?

I have a feeling that if the Rangers brass uses even 1% of their brain will take nothing more than stopgap measures until next year.

If the ability to front load contracts and buying players out to discount them against the cap remains a possibility then the amount of money the Rangers overpay is of little concern IF they truly try to rebuild in some proper fashion.

I know I'm gonna get flamed for saying this (especially but other teams' fans) but if buying out underperforming contracts to discount against the cap is a possibility then slight overpayment for services is ok for this year in general and in particular for Malik given our rather shabby defensive corps.

Besides, the Rangers brass has had a hard on for signing Malik for years now. i remember rumors that had Kovalev going for him before we traded him to Pittsburgh.

Old
08-03-2005, 09:16 AM
Fletch

Agreed Levitate...

Hradek is an idiot, and that GM, if he really exists, should be fired. I'm not a Malik fan, and am not an NHL exec, but somehow have heard of him and can name the two franchises for which he played. He has played in over 500 NHL games (including 51 playoff games), and is a monster in size, so he's hard to miss.

Old
08-03-2005, 09:18 AM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
SOS, the problem isn't that we overpaid for Malik. The problem is that we overpaid so badly for him. We overpaid for Straka too. He probably should've signed somewhere in the $2-2.5 mil range, but $3 mil was what it took to get him to sign here, and that's fine. But Malik is a 3rd pairing guy. He should be in the $1-1.5 mil range at most. $2.5 mil (and for 3 years, no less) is just so far above and beyond his worth that it's disgusting and it doesn't give anyone confidence in Sather's decision-making abilities.

Old
08-03-2005, 09:19 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedRain
Does anyone actually know the details of the contract?
Is it possible, next year, if he performs poorly to be bought out and dumped in order to make more salary cap room?

I have a feeling that if the Rangers brass uses even 1% of their brain will take nothing more than stopgap measures until next year.

If the ability to front load contracts and buying players out to discount them against the cap remains a possibility then the amount of money the Rangers overpay is of little concern IF they truly try to rebuild in some proper fashion.
You can front load contracts, to make the player happy but they odn't help the cap situation. They use the average of the contract. Also going forward any buyouts of players counts against the cap.

Example if Malik sucks next year and you buy him out with two years remaining your cap would look like this

2006-07 - $3.33 million for Malik, even though he's not playing for you.

Old
08-03-2005, 09:24 AM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Derien can be very effective if he doesn't score a point. Kevin was an offensive defenseman, that got fat and went in the tank.

Most players that suffer an ACL injury take 2 years to get back to normal again, Hatcher is about 21 months removed from the ACL surgery.
The problem with the Hatcher signing is that even before the ACL surgery, Hatcher had mobility problems. On top of that, his footspeed made it difficult for him to be a true physical presence and his defensive positioning was never as good as it should be for a shut-down d-man. If the NHL is serious about cracking down on obstruction on top of removing the red line, it's going to be a double whammy on Hatcher.

Old
08-03-2005, 09:26 AM
phishman3579

Send a message via ICQ to phishman3579 Send a message via AIM to phishman3579 Send a message via Yahoo to phishman3579
I think we are missing something; I bet Malik is somehow related to or the godson of Sather. Something about this signing stinks; I just can't put my finger on it.

Old
08-03-2005, 09:30 AM
Levitate

soo, let me get this straight about Malik...he sucks and is a 6-7th defenseman, 3rd pairing at best and Sather is going to misuse him by making him into something he's not...but he played as jovo's partner in Vancouver and according to more than one person, covered for jovo's dumbass mistakes on defense.

sooo, 3 possible explanations then.
1.) He didn't play much with Jovo at all and saying he did is not accurate. This is entirely possible, i didn't watch a lot of Cannucks games last year.

2.) Vancouver misused Malik as a top 6 guy with Jovo and that misuse led to the deplorable +/- stat of +35 for Malik

3.) Jovo was actually playing 3rd pairing minutes, possibly 6-7th defenseman minutes and no one noticed

Old
08-03-2005, 09:34 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak
The problem with the Hatcher signing is that even before the ACL surgery, Hatcher had mobility problems. On top of that, his footspeed made it difficult for him to be a true physical presence and his defensive positioning was never as good as it should be for a shut-down d-man. If the NHL is serious about cracking down on obstruction on top of removing the red line, it's going to be a double whammy on Hatcher.
The last year Hatcher played before the injury:
8 goals, 22 assists, +37 and was a 2nd team all-star

It was the best year of his career.

The injury is certainly a concern, buy the his footspeed made it difficult for him to be a true physical presence and his defensive positioning was never as good as it should be for a shut-down d-man. ... is a load of crap.

Old
08-03-2005, 09:46 AM
Fletch

Take +35...

with a grain of salt. If you're lucky enough to be out there when your team is scoring, you get a nice +/- ratio. Many a d-man has come to New York from teams that are decent at even strength only to lose his fabulous +/- earned in previous years. Malik appeared to me to be a big defenseman who isn't that swift and who doesn't use his body (sounds a lot like Peter Popovic). Hopefully Sather saw something in him during one game and believes Malik can do that for an entire season.

Old
08-03-2005, 09:46 AM
Kodiak

You can think it's a load of crap if you want, but Hatcher, much more than guys like Pronger and Foote, relied on clutch and grab tactics and all the dirty little tricks that d-man use to get the job done. Rat's a good signing. Therien is good for depth. But I think Hatcher's going to be exposed in the "new NHL" if it ever really comes to pass.

Old
08-03-2005, 09:50 AM
ppp

This is my first post here. I'm going to withhold judgement on the Malik signing, as I've never paid much attention to him, but on a good plus/minus total that carries back into his Carolina days, and some decent assist totals for a defensive defenseman that may indicate a good first pass, I'm cautiously optimistic.

Yes, he is overpaid, but that won't be an issue this year, and, if he does have a truly terrible season, can we not take him to salary arbitration?

Old
08-03-2005, 09:53 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppp
Yes, he is overpaid, but that won't be an issue this year, and, if he does have a truly terrible season, can we not take him to salary arbitration?

1) Welcome

2) It will be an issue this year. Every signing will effect subsequent moves. There's a salary cap.

3) He signed a two year contract. There's no salary arbitration when you're under contract (unless that's part of the new CBA that I'm not aware of).

Old
08-03-2005, 09:55 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Good question, being as we signed him to a deal I figured a team couldn't go to war about a contract they signed themselves. Maybe RFA's? I don't know, but if Malik can be taken to arbitration upon a poor season that makes me feel better lol.

Old
08-03-2005, 09:57 AM
ppp

Sorry, I didn't read the fine print...

It is only for RFAs.

Old
08-03-2005, 09:59 AM
True Blue

Singin,
If it was only a two-year contract, the grumblings would be less. But Malik signed a 3 year deal.

Old
08-03-2005, 10:10 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Singin,
If it was only a two-year contract, the grumblings would be less. But Malik signed a 3 year deal.
I know it was a 3 year deal. Just a typo. And really, even if it were a 2 year deal, the grumbling should not be less.

I can't believe that the market was demanding a multi-year deal with this kind of money for Malik.

There just has to be a better guy to commit this kind of time and money to.

Old
08-03-2005, 10:41 AM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

A lot of people are talking about this signing like it's the end of the world. The guy had a lead leading +35 on 18 minutes a night and although I agree he's getting overpaid (maybe by about 1 to 1/2 million) it's not like it'll destroy the rebuilding rangers.

Old
08-03-2005, 10:51 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel_master
A lot of people are talking about this signing like it's the end of the world. The guy had a lead leading +35 on 18 minutes a night and although I agree he's getting overpaid (maybe by about 1 to 1/2 million) it's not like it'll destroy the rebuilding rangers.

It's not the end of the world. But it is a further indication that Sather doesn't have a clue. First of all, +/- is not a completely telling stat. Second, he was playing on a much better defensive team than he will be here. The league will be a lot more offensive this year. That just doesn't bode well for him.

And Sather didn't just overpay he greatly overpaid.

Old
08-03-2005, 12:31 PM
HAPPY HOUR

I remember seeing him play in Rye in 95 0r 96 in a rookies game. He looked impressive as a teenager . Funny, the only player that stuck with the Rangers from that scrimmage is Dale Purinton.

Old
08-04-2005, 06:08 AM
Narg

Here's the scoop on Malik. He was paired with Jovanovski, and the pair played often with the WCE (Nazzy, Bert, B'Mo). The Canucks PP was atrocius last season, luckily the WCE was able to be a bit more productive at even strength...

-- Malik's +/- is directly a result of being on the ice with the WCE --

He doesn't hit, stickchecks and that's about it. I feared him on the PK, aswell as the PP.

I still can't believe Sather signed him for 2.5

We were pissed off for having to qualify him at 1.2!

Old
08-04-2005, 08:20 AM
HF_Rangers

There's some solace in this...

Brisebois's contract for 2006-07 will be worth $3million, meaning he's paid more than Malik.

Closed Thread