HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Discuss all things related to Miller here. (mod)

View Poll Results: Should the Blues acquire Ryan Miller?
Absolutely - Rental or not, he's a needed upgrade 36 36.73%
Yes - But only with the intention of signing him long-term 36 36.73%
No - He's not the goalie upgrade the Blues need 7 7.14%
No - The Blues current situation in goal is fine. 19 19.39%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2014, 07:32 PM
Stopsight

vCash: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
For anyone saying our goaltending has been weak do you really see Miller doing any better than this stat line?

2013-2014BLUES 18 12 1 - 2 3 30 414 .928 1.85 975
Yes, I also don't expect Elliot to maintain that for the second half of the season. Miller has .927 over twice as many starts on a far worse team

Old
01-05-2014, 07:33 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopsight View Post
Yes, I also don't expect Elliot to maintain that for the second half of the season. Miller has .927 over twice as many starts on a far worse team
Elliott did better with a worse defense the year before last. Elliott has proven he an maintain that level of play for the Blues already.

Old
01-05-2014, 07:41 PM
Stopsight

vCash: 270
Quote:
Elliott did better with a worse defense the year before last. Elliott has proven he an maintain that level of play for the Blues already.
Over 38 games played. He hasn't been consistent playing a starter workload yet. I don't think if he's who we have in the playoffs we aren't a contender, but Miller is definitely the better goalie and we should absolutely go after him.

Old
01-05-2014, 07:47 PM
HooliganX2

At worst Elliott IMO is on par with Crawford and Niemi. Right now the Blues are playing as well as the Chicago teams.

I personally think our playoff success is all up to the forwards. I think we can easily win with our current goaltending if our forwards produce in the playoffs. If they don't produce I don't see any goalie in the league winning or us if we can't score.

Old
01-05-2014, 07:49 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
The Notorious

It honestly just depends on who we give up. I do think Elliot and Halak have played decent enough to support a score first playoff run.

Old
01-05-2014, 07:52 PM
BigB
We Want Big Macs!

vCash: 50
Quote:
At worst Elliott IMO is on par with Crawford and Niemi. Right now the Blues are playing as well as the Chicago teams.

I personally think our playoff success is all up to the forwards. I think we can easily win with our current goaltending if our forwards produce in the playoffs. If they don't produce I don't see any goalie in the league winning or us if we can't score.
Agree with Hooligan on this. It is going to be up to the forwards to produce. A goalie can do so much, but it comes down to point production as well.

Old
01-05-2014, 07:53 PM
Freyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daley Tarasenkshow View Post
It honestly just depends on who we give up. I do think Elliot and Halak have played decent enough to support a score first playoff run.
Do you trust our lineup to be a score first playoff team every game? Even with the regular season improvements, I certainly don't.

Old
01-05-2014, 07:58 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyj View Post
Do you trust our lineup to be a score first playoff team every game? Even with the regular season improvements, I certainly don't.
They have scored the 2nd most goals of any team in the league. I think the Blues have the depth to score. We have 2 young guys who seem to be maturing into special players in Schwartz and Tarasenko. I see no reason to believe this team wont continue to score in the playoffs.

BTW you do realize we are tied for #3 in the lowest amount of goals give up as well don't you?

As I have said before the only thing that worries me about this team is their 1st period play or lack of it.

Old
01-05-2014, 08:14 PM
BigB
We Want Big Macs!

Quote:
They have scored the 2nd most goals of any team in the league. I think the Blues have the depth to score. We have 2 young guys who seem to be maturing into special players in Schwartz and Tarasenko. I see no reason to believe this team wont continue to score in the playoffs.

BTW you do realize we are tied for #3 in the lowest amount of goals give up as well don't you?

As I have said before the only thing that worries me about this team is their 1st period play or lack of it.
Why am I in agreement with you so much tonight Hooligan? It scares the hell out of me.

Old
01-05-2014, 08:35 PM
illninofan*

Quote:
Steen, Backes, Oshie, Tarasenko, Schwartz > Steen, Backes, Oshie, Perron, McDonald

Yes, I do.

Old
01-05-2014, 08:39 PM
Freyj

Quote:

Thank goodness we'll be playing Edmonton, Florida, Nashville, Dallas, Toronto, Calgary, Winnipeg, etc. in the playoffs and not a gauntlet of 7 Game Series against teams like Chicago, LA, San Jose, Boston, etc. Just like the 2011/12 Canucks, we'll be just fine.

Old
01-05-2014, 08:55 PM
Mike Liut

Quote:
Originally Posted by illninofan View Post
Steen, Backes, Oshie, Tarasenko, Schwartz > Steen, Backes, Oshie, Perron, McDonald

Yes, I do.

Same here. AMac was terrible last year. Worse than terrible

Old
01-05-2014, 09:07 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Thank goodness we'll be playing Edmonton, Florida, Nashville, Dallas, Toronto, Calgary, Winnipeg, etc. in the playoffs and not a gauntlet of 7 Game Series against teams like Chicago, LA, San Jose, Boston, etc. Just like the 2011/12 Canucks, we'll be just fine.
Didn't we just beat LA? Haven't we also beat Chicago 3 times this season?

Old
01-05-2014, 09:13 PM
underslept
"well-informed"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopsight View Post
Even if Miller does maintain that save percentage, which is unlikely, it'd be only the second time in his career he's posted a season SV% over .920. If he regularly played this well, you'd have a point. However, his numbers are nearly identical to Halak's and even over a short time I think it's pretty obvious we're getting another goalie who doesn't live up to his hype.

In fact, Halak's playoff performances have been better than Miller's. Both of their successes coming years ago.

Miller's a bit bigger and his tool set is well-respected in this league, but aside from 2009-2010 when he put up decent numbers, he's never really proven he can play as well as people assume he will. He may fare much better in our defensive system, but it's not like we're getting an upgrade in net, just merely a different body that has hype even higher than Halak's despite having marginally worse career numbers.

I don't see how the trade improves the team. Miller has always been adequate, never great. I feel like I want to trade Halak for an upgrade to get not only consistency, but better overall skills. Miller is not that guy.

Old
01-05-2014, 09:13 PM
Novacain

Quote:
Didn't we just beat LA? Haven't we also beat Chicago 3 times this season?
We just beat LA without Quick in a regular season game which is a different animal then the playoffs.

I'm going to put this simply: Do you think Ryan Miller is an upgrade over Jaro Halak? Because as I said, with Ryan Miller, I feel this team not only can win a Cup, but they should win a cup. That is a very very important distinction to make.

You guys are arguing that we are confident with our team as an offensive first team with Elliot in net, and I agree with that. But that's the thing: With Miller we aren't an offensive first team, we are just a really really great all around team with no notable weakness at all.

I fully support that Miller/Wild 2nd for Halak/1st/3rd trade, for the record.

Old
01-05-2014, 09:14 PM
Fabbri Rules
Winter is Coming

vCash: 816
If they'll take Halak and a 2nd round pick, then yeah I'd be all for having Miller wear The Note. If they want more I believe we're fine with Elliot and Halak giving him a break.

Old
01-05-2014, 09:26 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacain View Post
We just beat LA without Quick in a regular season game which is a different animal then the playoffs.

I'm going to put this simply: Do you think Ryan Miller is an upgrade over Jaro Halak? Because as I said, with Ryan Miller, I feel this team not only can win a Cup, but they should win a cup. That is a very very important distinction to make.

You guys are arguing that we are confident with our team as an offensive first team with Elliot in net, and I agree with that. But that's the thing: With Miller we aren't an offensive first team, we are just a really really great all around team with no notable weakness at all.

I fully support that Miller/Wild 2nd for Halak/1st/3rd trade, for the record.
Elliott played well enough to win against LA in the playoffs last season. Elliott is not the reason we lost the series. Having Miller in net we still would have lost with our lack of goalscoring.

I don't believe in giving up assets to get the same result. I personally don't feel like it will make any difference if it's Halak, Elliott or Miller in net. I think our success in the playoffs is 100% dependent on our group of forwards producing.

You seem to see Elliott as a weakness the fact is Elliott has not been a weakness for this team. You can argue all you want but Elliott has performed well as a Blue except for a stretch of games last season. Lest season was a season without a training camp. Elliott did not play during the lockout. I'm willing to say the 7-10 games in not the normal and the 60 other games are.

Old
01-05-2014, 09:42 PM
Novacain

Quote:
Elliott played well enough to win against LA in the playoffs last season. Elliott is not the reason we lost the series. Having Miller in net we still would have lost with our lack of goalscoring.

I don't believe in giving up assets to get the same result. I personally don't feel like it will make any difference if it's Halak, Elliott or Miller in net. I think our success in the playoffs is 100% dependent on our group of forwards producing.

You seem to see Elliott as a weakness the fact is Elliott has not been a weakness for this team. You can argue all you want but Elliott has performed well as a Blue except for a stretch of games last season. Lest season was a season without a training camp. Elliott did not play during the lockout. I'm willing to say the 7-10 games in not the normal and the 60 other games are.
I do not think Elliot is a weakness, I think Halak is. And I'm twenty times more confident in a Miller/Elliot combo then a Elliot/Halak combo.

I have no problem with Elliot. I would love for him to come back next year if we decide not to keep Miller or acquire another goalie. I'd say he's even a mid level starter in the NHL that is very underrated. But he is not as good as Ryan Miller. If we can get an elite goalie for a rather small price, which this is, I do it. I would much rather look back at this year and look at it as a failure because we put a bunch into it and didn't win it, then look at it and wonder if we would have won a cup if we would have made that one move.

Old
01-05-2014, 09:54 PM
Boombox Generation
#LGB

Quote:

This sums up my exact thoughts on the situation.

Old
01-05-2014, 10:05 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Sabres fan here.

With Miller walking at the end of the season, unless someone else loses a starting goalie for the season, you're likely going to be able to name your price. Unless we hire a colossally stupid GM who thinks he can win now and does everything to try and convince Ryan to stay.

As of today, you could get Ryan Miller from me for a 1st and a conditional return if he resigns with you. I mean, I'd imagine the Sabres would try to barter you out of your best prospects first, but if it didn't work, I'd do it for just the 1st rounder and the condition.

At the deadline, I'd likely take anything you offered, seeing as we can't have this guy play us out of Reinhart or Ekblad.

Old
01-05-2014, 10:12 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Sabres fan here.

With Miller walking at the end of the season, unless someone else loses a starting goalie for the season, you're likely going to be able to name your price. Unless we hire a colossally stupid GM who thinks he can win now and does everything to try and convince Ryan to stay.

As of today, you could get Ryan Miller from me for a 1st and a conditional return if he resigns with you. I mean, I'd imagine the Sabres would try to barter you out of your best prospects first, but if it didn't work, I'd do it for just the 1st rounder and the condition.

At the deadline, I'd likely take anything you offered, seeing as we can't have this guy play us out of Reinhart or Ekblad.
Nice, well you can probably have our 7th then. Thanks.

I'm at the point now where I think Armstrong might not want to disrupt the chemistry of the forwards so going after Miller would be the move I'd make to put us over the top. Halak should not be back and should be dealt for whatever we can get.

Old
01-05-2014, 10:15 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Nice, well you can probably have our 7th then. Thanks.

I'm at the point now where I think Armstrong might not want to disrupt the chemistry of the forwards so going after Miller would be the move I'd make to put us over the top. Halak should not be back and should be dealt for whatever we can get.
I mean, it's going to have to be a plausible price. I can see pride getting in the way of a stupid price like that, but realistically, Ryan Miller is worth more to this team off it than on it right now. The goal is the #1 pick for us. So with no leverage from our position, you're going to get some kind of moderate bargain.

The trick is going to be how you guys deal with the salary situation. We can and likely will bargain to retain some salary, but we'll ask for some return for that service.

Old
01-05-2014, 10:19 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
I mean, it's going to have to be a plausible price. I can see pride getting in the way of a stupid price like that, but realistically, Ryan Miller is worth more to this team off it than on it right now. The goal is the #1 pick for us. So with no leverage from our position, you're going to get some kind of moderate bargain.

The trick is going to be how you guys deal with the salary situation. We can and likely will bargain to retain some salary, but we'll ask for some return for that service.
Yeah for sure, I was just joking with that. I would probably give a 1st and decent prospect for Miller, if that would be what the Sabres are looking for.

We can likely get a prospect back for Halak so essentially swapping a 1st for Miller would probably be a fine deal for us.

Old
01-05-2014, 10:23 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Yeah for sure, I was just joking with that. I would probably give a 1st and decent prospect for Miller, if that would be what the Sabres are looking for.

We can likely get a prospect back for Halak so essentially swapping a 1st for Miller would probably be a fine deal for us.
That would certainly turn the key for me, after the usual posturing and negotiation.

I think the catch is the Sabres would be smart to ask for something conditional, like perhaps a 2015 2nd rounder if Miller re-signs with you. And we would ask for that because Miller's going to want to stay there. It's hard to find contenders with a vacancy in net.

Old
01-05-2014, 10:27 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
Quote:
That would certainly turn the key for me, after the usual posturing and negotiation.

I think the catch is the Sabres would be smart to ask for something conditional, like perhaps a 2015 2nd rounder if Miller re-signs with you. And we would ask for that because Miller's going to want to stay there. It's hard to find contenders with a vacancy in net.
Hell if we win the Cup, Buffalo can have the City of St. Louis. How's that for a condition? Sorry, East St. Louis is included though.

Closed Thread