HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Discuss all things related to Miller here. (mod)

View Poll Results: Should the Blues acquire Ryan Miller?
Absolutely - Rental or not, he's a needed upgrade 36 36.73%
Yes - But only with the intention of signing him long-term 36 36.73%
No - He's not the goalie upgrade the Blues need 7 7.14%
No - The Blues current situation in goal is fine. 19 19.39%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2014, 07:47 PM
Bluesman91

vCash: 500
I'm not sure why Halak is considered to be good enough to be a starter. He's now played majority of his career in St. Louis and still has not proven he can be a full time starter.

Old
01-06-2014, 08:41 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenFace View Post
The Blues have been great this year, but I'm concerned that we might just be beating up on bad teams too much while not dominating as much against playoff teams (The record against California teams has been brought up a ton). We've beaten Chicago 3 times, but twice in the SO and the other one was only by one goal. Our wins over the Bruins and Penguins were both by 1 goal, and I felt Boston severely outplayed us that game.
You would have a good point here if not for a problem that you brought up.
3 games against Chicago, 3 games against SJ, 2 games against LA, 2 games against Colorado, 2 games against Dallas, 2 games against Minnesota, 1 game against Anahiem, 1 game against Phoenix, 7 games against EC PO teams.

The Blues have played 41 games and 23 of them have been against PO caliber teams.
The Blues haven't played the "easy" teams yet. The second half of our season is substantially "easier" than what we've played so far. We still have 16 games against the EC, 2 games against Edmonton, 2 games against Winnipeg and 2 games against Nashville.

Old
01-06-2014, 09:08 PM
execwrite

Stick with Elliott/Halak this year

If that's not the answer, pursue Miller in the off season.

Old
01-07-2014, 12:31 AM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

vCash: 300
I think the poll should have had one more selection...Yes, if the cost is reasonable.

I believe everyone is right when they say The Blues could use a upgrade in goal, because I believe that neither Halak or Elliott have shown the most important element that is needed in the playoffs. If they have a bad game or a give a bad goal they respond by playing better from that point on, they both seem to lack the mental toughest you'd like to see. Now that doesn't mean that they won't play great this year, but I really think the skaters will have to play very well to get it done with them in goal. Since it's still early and a lot can happen, I think Armstrong should kick the tires, but I don't think he needs to be too aggressive, that price has to be reasonable.

Old
01-07-2014, 11:46 AM
cprice12

Good discussion.

Give me Miller over Halak. But quite honestly, I'd be very confident with Elliott in net for the playoffs. But Elliott over Miller? That would be tough to say until I see how Miller plays behind our system. But I'm guessing he'd be fine.

I don't get the lack of love for Elliott though. Overall, he has been our best goalie over the past 3 years.

The glaring issue against the Kings last year, (and the year before), was goal scoring. We couldn't finish a number of glorious chances that should have been goals. Very frustrating as we outplayed them for the majority of the series.

Our scoring is up this year, so I am more confident in the goals scored department, but you can never have enough goal scorers in the playoffs.

Depending on who is available at the deadline and the injury situations we are facing at the time, I would love to see the Blues go after a rental sniper at the...and if they can upgrade in net as well by getting Miller, then all the better.

Old
01-07-2014, 04:41 PM
Federko

If it's from a rental stand point - Buffalo is not going to get a 1st rounder from anyone..... Also, I'm thinking how focused will he be post Olympics? Older players tend to burn out hard post olympics. We need someone who can steal some games this playoffs!

Old
01-07-2014, 04:58 PM
HooliganX2

People tend to forget Elliott's bad playoffs in St Louis was when Pietrangelo was injured our defense was pretty bad that series.

Old
01-07-2014, 05:17 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
People tend to forget Elliott's bad playoffs in St Louis was when Pietrangelo was injured our defense was pretty bad that series.
After Petro was down and out the Blues came out in Game 2 just shellshocked and not ready. Breakdown after breakdown led to walk-in after walk-in on Elliott. 4-0 after 1. There was no way even a Ryan Miller was keeping us in that game.

Old
01-07-2014, 05:19 PM
Thallis
#FREERATTIE

vCash: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
He also had an ear infection that series.

Old
01-07-2014, 05:27 PM
Skew06

I am not confident that the Blues can advance far in the playoffs with Halak in net. The guy gets so rattled in net when he isn't doing good. He can never put a soft goal behind him and then play a game right.

Elliotts main issue with me is his puck handling ability. He is without a doubt better than Halak and I will go to my grave saying that. He's more athletic, more durable and is simply a better goaltender.

Why not go out and try to get Ryan Miller to replace Halak? Don't you think Miller would love to play for a good team for once? I don't think that Miller is the second coming of Christ by any means, but I'm sure he would love to play behind a great defense and a great team in general rather than treading water in Buffalo.

Old
01-07-2014, 05:28 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
After Petro was down and out the Blues came out in Game 2 just shellshocked and not ready. Breakdown after breakdown led to walk-in after walk-in on Elliott. 4-0 after 1. There was no way even a Ryan Miller was keeping us in that game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thallis View Post
He also had an ear infection that series.

Yeah it seems like people have really short term memories and only remember what they want no matter how different it is from the reality of what happened at the time.

Old
01-07-2014, 05:31 PM
Bluesman91

People will discredit Brian Elliott for anything he does. It's ridiculous. I wouldn't even mind if he earned the title of "decent goaltender" by other teams fans rather than immediately being thought of as the worst goalie in the league.

Last edited by Bluesman91: 01-07-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old
01-07-2014, 05:36 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
People with discredit Brian Elliott for anything he does. It's ridiculous. I wouldn't even mind if he earned the title of "decent goaltender" by other teams fans rather than immediately being thought of as the worst goalie in the league.
It does get frustrating because people don't give him much credit at all when he has been a good goalie the last few season. Ottawa and Colorado both were awful teams that he played for.

He gets called mentally weak when it's not really the case at all. All goalies get rattled from time to time. Even HOF goalies like Roy that lead to him being traded can get rattled in a game.

Old
01-07-2014, 05:38 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Here's one way to be looking at Armstrong's decision. He can't feel particularly good about Halak at this point. If he holds on Miller it means he's ok with Elliott, meaning he's confident Elliott will give his team a chance to win in the postseason. We can't rule out a move for a center and sticking with Elliott.

If he does acquire Miller, it'll likely shock no one, and you're talking Miller-Elliott for the postseason. Even if Miller faltered, I'd be confident Elliott would give the team a chance to win. I wonder if the Sabres would ask for Elliott back, retain half of Miller, we also give up something like only a conditional first and a meh prospect.

There's more data to acquire such as how Halak and Miller play in the Olympics, how the next two months before the deadline go. Don't think the speculation is going to drop off before then.

Old
01-08-2014, 12:49 AM
Freyj

What kind of Center is available for the asking price of Miller? Stewart seems moveable if Jaskin keeps improving, but do we hand him the extra responsibility going into crucial playoff series?

Old
01-08-2014, 01:10 AM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skew06 View Post
I am not confident that the Blues can advance far in the playoffs with Halak in net. The guy gets so rattled in net when he isn't doing good. He can never put a soft goal behind him and then play a game right.

Elliotts main issue with me is his puck handling ability. He is without a doubt better than Halak and I will go to my grave saying that. He's more athletic, more durable and is simply a better goaltender.

Why not go out and try to get Ryan Miller to replace Halak? Don't you think Miller would love to play for a good team for once? I don't think that Miller is the second coming of Christ by any means, but I'm sure he would love to play behind a great defense and a great team in general rather than treading water in Buffalo.
Exactly. Our team play would elevate him to play better then he has been on the lowly Sabres.

Old
01-08-2014, 01:11 AM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyj View Post
What kind of Center is available for the asking price of Miller? Stewart seems moveable if Jaskin keeps improving, but do we hand him the extra responsibility going into crucial playoff series?
I wouldn't move Stewart.

Old
01-08-2014, 01:16 AM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyj View Post
Well since Miller has hinted he wants a similar contract to Hank we could get about and UFA center for the same contract.

Old
01-08-2014, 01:35 AM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federko View Post
I wouldn't move Stewart.
The Blues may very well hang onto Stewart and see if he gets hot in the playoffs (and it might be especially important if Oshie's injury is significant), but he's being paid too much for a third line role. Depth is crucial, obviously; and in the course of building depth, you end up overpaying some players a bit, but I think they're going to try hard to get value for Stewart and replace him with a player who is cheaper and/or more versatile.

Old
01-08-2014, 02:17 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(o)ϵ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopsight View Post
Lets be realistic what a late first is actually worth here guys.

The average late first has maybe a 30% max chance of going on to be a 3rd or 4th liner who enters into the NHL after several years of conditioning and AHL play. Worst case (plausible) scenario you are giving up a depth player years down the line. A cup run is worth that.
The percentage is about right, but the ceiling is way off.

For those sneezing at the percentage, it's a greater chance than Vegas gives the favorite to win the Cup any given year.

Old
01-08-2014, 02:51 AM
thedustman

vCash: 50
haven't read the entire thread, so forgive me if i bring up garbage...

I certainly wouldnt be willing to give up any roster players in order to get an upgrade in goal (miller). That would be a lateral or regressive move with the way this team is scoring now. With the defense we have, we can afford to have players like stewart, which is a good thing.
Also, in case of injury, I would be hesitant to give up top prospects that would come in to fill any holes. Miller just doesnt seem worth it with the way we are playing. I haven't seen our goalies lose any games. I've seen Halak and Elliott hung up to dry and not live up to the challenge, but i havent seen them lose a game for us. Elliott let up that soft goal against the kings in the playoffs last year, but goaltending has a lot to do with team confidence (see Crawford, blackhawks). The blues were playing timidly when that goal occurred. We don't play that way anymore.

So, i think an additional poll is needed/more important... something like: 'what would you pay for miller?'

Last edited by thedustman: 01-08-2014 at 02:59 AM. Reason: additional poll addition
Old
01-08-2014, 08:58 AM
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federko View Post
I wouldn't move Stewart.
One thing I notice about Army is that he doesn't seem too eager to move people in situations like this. To me, he thinks best to hang on to the player until the contract is complete or there is a great deal offered to him. Some previous GM's seemed to get frustrated with a players play and would move him for a less than ideal deal.

I tend to agree with this as there is no reason to move him now. We have a very deep team that is playing extremely well. If there was a deal on the table that would bring back a clear upgrade in a position we need, then of course he will listen but I do not ever see him moving someone just for the sake of moving him.

We are under the cap and I agree we are paying him too much, but if he gets hot in the playoffs, he can be a game breaker. I think Jaskin can easily take his spot, but why move him up right now. That is an offseason kind of move, not a halfway through the season move.

Also, I notice a lot of Shattenkirk movement posts (sorry p9, you are the main poster I can think at the moment with these kinds of with these thoughts). I for one am not in favor of moving him. We have a great defense but he is a different player than our top 2. I think having him with a Jackman/Polak type player is so important to the teams success.

Edit:Sorry I realized this was not about miller. As far as he is concerned, I wouldn't move anything for him unless we can get him signed for a term that is manageable for this team. I dont think Miller makes us that much better as a team.

Old
01-08-2014, 01:10 PM
Bluester

If it can be done for a reasonable price, absolutely. Elliott is nothing more than a top tier back up. He isn't going to steal you any games. He is this good because of the defense in front of him. I would wager that many goalies in the league would benefit from a team like this. Halak can steal games, Elliott won't. Miller can steal a series in the playoffs. Halak showed the ability in Montreal but hasn't been healthy in the playoffs here over the long term. Lastly for a chance at a Stanley Cup I think Miller will be very aware and hard working after the Olympics.

Old
01-08-2014, 01:15 PM
Falco Lombardi
AKA Dolph Ziggler

vCash: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Here's one way to be looking at Armstrong's decision. He can't feel particularly good about Halak at this point. If he holds on Miller it means he's ok with Elliott, meaning he's confident Elliott will give his team a chance to win in the postseason. We can't rule out a move for a center and sticking with Elliott.
Quoting you because you're the last to post it but the question is directed to everyone.

I'm one that thinks there is something to be said for chemistry. Right now the Blues are scoring 3.6 goals a game. Anyone else think that maybe we shouldn't make any moves on offense until the offseason? It seems to be clicking and we're talking about more than half a season now so it's approaching the point where it's not just a hot streak.

Old
01-08-2014, 01:19 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
Quoting you because you're the last to post it but the question is directed to everyone.

I'm one that thinks there is something to be said for chemistry. Right now the Blues are scoring 3.6 goals a game. Anyone else think that maybe we shouldn't make any moves on offense until the offseason? It seems to be clicking and we're talking about more than half a season now so it's approaching the point where it's not just a hot streak.
I agree with you. The players seem to really like each other. Making a move really isn't needed and having any roster players get moved can really through off the chemistry in the locker room.

Closed Thread