HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Lecavalier given a 1 year offer by Lightning

Closed Thread

Old
08-02-2005, 06:15 PM
HabsoluteFate

vCash: 500
Lecavalier given a 1 year offer by Lightning

According to RDS.ca Lecavalier was offered a 1 year contract by the lightning.
http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/184828.html

basically it says Lecavalier is looking for 5 million per season. his agent was told not to accept offers from other teams until later this week (apparently there are other teams trying to sign a RFA deal with him)

Old
08-02-2005, 06:17 PM
clefty
What?

You just totally changed your thread title and topic. When I replied two minutes ago, this thread was about rookie contracts.

Old
08-02-2005, 06:19 PM
Peter Griffin

With Lecavalier set to become a UFA next off-season, I wonder why Feaster is only offering a one year deal? I'd try to get him locked up longterm before he gets close to testing the waters.

Old
08-02-2005, 06:23 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Maybe because Lecavalier wanted too much so they're offering him 5 millions for one season and then they will lock him up during the season depending on his performance.

Old
08-02-2005, 06:23 PM
clefty
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave
What does this mean? He is an RFA, after all, meaning he can sign an offer sheet from any other team.
See above. He totally edited his post and topic.

Old
08-02-2005, 06:24 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Maybe he only wants to play in Tampa for one more year.

And I wonder who is offering RFA's contracts at this stage with so many UFA's on the market.

My money is on Montreal...trying to bring him home.

Old
08-02-2005, 06:25 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
With Lecavalier set to become a UFA next off-season, I wonder why Feaster is only offering a one year deal? I'd try to get him locked up longterm before he gets close to testing the waters.
Thats what I thought, maybe hes already told them hes leaving no matter what but its a strange move by Feaster.

Old
08-02-2005, 06:25 PM
HabsoluteFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty
You just totally changed your thread title and topic. When I replied two minutes ago, this thread was about rookie contracts.
sorry i didnt think someone would reply so quickly...i realised after i hit submit the first time that the post would be more well suited to the business of hockey section. instead of deleting the thread i replaced it with the second thread i was going to start...
again sorry!

Old
08-02-2005, 06:31 PM
gobolt7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
Thats what I thought, maybe hes already told them hes leaving no matter what but its a strange move by Feaster.
First of all, its RDS, so I dont put much stock in it. Second, Vinnie is on the record as saying he wants a long term deal in Tampa.

Old
08-02-2005, 06:33 PM
Rand

Unless Lecavlier is already set on testing the UFA amrket next year and has no desire to play with the Lightning long term I'd have to imagine Feaster would b e doing everything possible to get Lecavlier to sign a long term contract.

Old
08-02-2005, 06:38 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand
Unless Lecavlier is already set on testing the UFA amrket next year and has no desire to play with the Lightning long term I'd have to imagine Feaster would b e doing everything possible to get Lecavlier to sign a long term contract.
If he can't get a multi-year committment from Vinny he almost has to trade him to get something for him.

Old
Resolute

Agreed.

The speculation that teams will go after him with an RFA contract is also ridiculous. It happened about... twice? with players of that high a calibre in the last CBA? Teams just arent going to risk the cost of going after such a player as an RFA.

Old
HabsoluteFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobolt7
First of all, its RDS, so I dont put much stock in it. Second, Vinnie is on the record as saying he wants a long term deal in Tampa.
i didnt see the video about this but i did see a video yesterday where Tampa's GM was saying how he wouldnt be surprised if another team gave him (Lecavalier) an offer.

it is interesting especially if you give an offer to a player that is on a team that is already at the cap....they would either have to trade someone to free up the room to match it, do nothing, or do a sign and trade, so in that regard perhaps you will see more signings of RFAs (of course the penalties are pretty stiff if you do)

Old
08-02-2005, 06:42 PM
Hockeyfan02

I haven't heard or seen anything about this in the Tampa media. I think they would hear about it first. RDS was the one who started the rumor he was going to Montreal after this season and that was said to be more media creation than fact. Probably trying to back up their own BS.

Edit: They could just be reporting his qualifying offer.

Last edited by Hockeyfan02: 08-02-2005 at 06:47 PM.
Old
08-02-2005, 06:48 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
With Lecavalier set to become a UFA next off-season, I wonder why Feaster is only offering a one year deal?
I'd say most likely it was just the qualifying offer that goes to all RFAs teams would like to keep.

Old
08-02-2005, 06:52 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick
If he can't get a multi-year committment from Vinny he almost has to trade him to get something for him.
Feaster has said if he has to he'll sign him to a 1-year deal & make another run at the Cup. Trading Vincent simply isn't on the radar.

Old
08-02-2005, 07:52 PM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobolt7
Ah no he didn't. Vinny said he was leaning toward a 1 year contract and had no idea what he would do next year.

Old
08-02-2005, 08:05 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_TheGreat
Ah no he didn't. Vinny said he was leaning toward a 1 year contract and had no idea what he would do next year.
Link?

Everything here is saying that he and St. Louis both want long term deals.

Quote:
"The meeting went very, very well," Feaster said. "While it was expressed clearly that Vinny has a unique and unprecedented opportunity to become a free agent at the end of the season, they made it clear their goal is to sign a long-term deal."
Quote:
"The fact of the matter is, I like Tampa," Lecavalier said. "I'm definitely interested in staying. I've been there for seven years; we won the Cup. And through all the years there have been ups and downs, but we have a great club, I like the city, and I like playing there."
St. Pete Times:
Quote:
St. Louis and Lecavalier are seeking long-term deals even though both are eligible to be unrestricted free agents after the upcoming season. Khabibulin is unrestricted now.
nhl.com:
Quote:
"We had a great meeting today," Feaster said. "Very very encouraging in terms of Vinny expressing a desire to stay in Tampa and stay long-term and that's what we wanted to hear. It was very very positive. We discussed a timeline to keep things moving and I'm very optimistic."
Just a few. Bottom line is Vincent hasn't made up his mind yet, but it's clear he's open to a long-term deal.

Old
08-02-2005, 08:11 PM
Mike8

I'm not seeing any quotes from Lecavalier for either side of the argument. Nowhere, that I've seen, has he stated he's aiming to stay in Tampa long-term, nor has he stated that he's only wanting a one-year contract.

Old
08-02-2005, 08:40 PM
Maxpac

how about just finish this story and.....

To Montreal:Vincent Lecavalier
To Tampa Bay: Saku Koivu

Both sign multi-year contracts, with there new teams both teams lose nothing, Habs have 2 guys from Quebec centering the top 2 lines, Tampa has a great leader and real hardworker. Perfect!

Old
08-02-2005, 08:44 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
You would need much more than Koivu for Lecavalier, come on

Old
08-02-2005, 08:46 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel the great!
how about just finish this story and.....

To Montreal:Vincent Lecavalier
To Tampa Bay: Saku Koivu

Both sign multi-year contracts, with there new teams both teams lose nothing, Habs have 2 guys from Quebec centering the top 2 lines, Tampa has a great leader and real hardworker. Perfect!
Uhh Tampa already has a great leader in Andreychuk. Koivu is a downgrade from Lecavalier. This does nothing for the Lightning. It's perfect alright.....for the Habs.

Old
08-02-2005, 09:36 PM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov
You would need much more than Koivu for Lecavalier, come on
More like Koivu anx a 1st for Lecavalier

Old
08-02-2005, 11:02 PM
Sotnos

Haha, I knew I'd see this ridiculous story posted here at some point tonight.

To me, they're blowing a qualifying offer WAY out of proportion. Not exactly lying, but not exactly telling the truth either. Between what they published about Khabibulin (he should have signed with Phoenix by now according to them) and this "story", RDS just disgusts me.

Good links boltsfan2029, but as you can see, nothing convinces some people.

08-02-2005, 11:09 PM
Phanuthier*

Bad move by Lecavlier IMO. He's got a good thing happenening in Tampa (if they can resign Khabibulin, but reports say otherwise) and the money is good there. Montreal? (No offense) but I don't think the team is there that will give him the chance to not only win a cup, but build a dynasty that he has in Tampa.

I personally have no ill feelings towards Tampa or its players. If the Flames didn't win the Cup, I couldn't think of any other team (maybe SJ) that I'd want to see win it instead. I really hope they keep their nucleaus (centered around Lecavlier, not Richards IMO) together.

Closed Thread