HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nabokov on IR - Isles bring up Nilsson

Old
01-07-2014, 01:27 PM
Doshell Propivo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
I actually kinda agree with this. The season is done. The Isles would have to pull of a miracle to change this and they're not gonna do that with Justin Peters or Neuvirth. Might as well take the opportunity to see what you have in Nilsson and Poulin.
If they keep up their current pace (6-3-1 in their last 10) for the rest of the season, things would look good.

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 01:40 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doshell Propivo View Post
If they keep up their current pace (6-3-1 in their last 10) for the rest of the season, things would look good.
There are 38 games left in the season. They'd have to go 24-9-5 the rest of the way just to get to 90 points which would just get you in the mix for that 8th spot if everything else falls right.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 01:49 PM
CaptDenisPotvin

Quote:
There are 38 games left in the season. They'd have to go 24-9-5 the rest of the way just to get to 90 points which would just get you in the mix for that 8th spot if everything else falls right.
This statement, while its reality....is unbelievably disheartening. I can't believe we fell so far off the pace so fast after last year and my personal expectations of returning to the playoffs. To have to win almost 70% of the remaining games just to be relative is unreal

CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 01:50 PM
Doshell Propivo

Quote:
They finished last season 15-6-5.

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 01:54 PM
13th Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDenisPotvin View Post
This statement, while its reality....is unbelievably disheartening. I can't believe we fell so far off the pace so fast after last year and my personal expectations of returning to the playoffs. To have to win almost 70% of the remaining games just to be relative is unreal
You can't lose an 1/8 of the season in a row and recover. Not in a league where teams get points for losing. More/better moves should have been made in the off-season (this has been discussed at length on this board) and more urgency to change something should have been shown when we lost every game for a month. It took way to long to make roster moves when we were in that kind of skid. Look at our record with CdH and Strome in the lineup and with PMB off of it. More desperate, urgent moves should have been made when we lost 3 or 4 in a row, not when we lost 15 of 17 games. That's what is upsetting and frustrating.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 01:59 PM
redbull
manage the *uck

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
Agreed with Staple. Neuvirth and Scrivens are the best options. I want Scrivens and hopefully we could re-sign him.
Scrivens was pretty good on the Leafs as well, Reimer was just a bit better. Just like Bernier is just a bit better than Reimer.

I'm kind of "okay" with Poulin in net, for a little run. He's played well this year, despite the won-loss record. Isles were in a bad funk when Nabby went down that wasn't really bad goaltending...though we all know what a diff great goaltending can make.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 02:12 PM
BTrotts19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post
You can't lose an 1/8 of the season in a row and recover. Not in a league where teams get points for losing. More/better moves should have been made in the off-season (this has been discussed at length on this board) and more urgency to change something should have been shown when we lost every game for a month. It took way to long to make roster moves when we were in that kind of skid. Look at our record with CdH and Strome in the lineup and with PMB off of it. More desperate, urgent moves should have been made when we lost 3 or 4 in a row, not when we lost 15 of 17 games. That's what is upsetting and frustrating.
This....

BTrotts19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 02:16 PM
Hip Of Rick
Snow Must Go!

vCash: 50
Quote:
I actually kinda agree with this. The season is done. The Isles would have to pull of a miracle to change this and they're not gonna do that with Justin Peters or Neuvirth. Might as well take the opportunity to see what you have in Nilsson and Poulin.
We have already seen what we have to a degree,not much. They both stink and have shown very little potential to be NHL starters. Developing a backup is useless, they are a dime a dozen.

I would love to take a shot at Neuvirth who has shown starter potential. He only has 1 more year on his contract after this at ~ 2.5 milliion. If we trade Bailey for him it would offset his cost and the value seems pretty close.

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 02:25 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doshell Propivo View Post
They finished last season 15-6-5.
Yeah. They have to be even better than that, over more games, with tighter playoff restrictions.

They would have to go on an unbelievable run... AGAIN. I suppose you can cling on to the slivers of hope that it could happen again, but the overwhelming odds are that it won't.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 02:35 PM
Isles Fan

Quote:
Reality sucks, doesn't it?

Isles Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 03:46 PM
islesfan186
YES! YES! YES!

Anaheim has like 90 (Read: 4) NHL caliber goalies....can't we get one from them for SOMETHING?!

islesfan186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 07:21 PM
stranger34

good stat from the Isles radio team. Islanders 1-8-2 this season when Nabby is on IR.

That's the season right there and it's 100% on Garf.

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 10:49 PM
islesfan186
YES! YES! YES!

TSN reporting that Nabby will miss at least a week:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=440632

islesfan186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 11:07 PM
Burakovsky95*

As a Caps fan I'd definitely suggest Neuvirth. He has really got the raw end of the deal with just really badly timed minor injuries and sicknesses. He hasn't played badly and lost his spot it's just that Varlamov, Holtby and Grubauer all were on fire when he was replaced. He's won a Memorial Cup and 2 Calder Cups in the AHL. He's also won us a playoff series in the past. He's as you probably know, not a very flashy goalie but he has a quick glove and is super positionally sound. He deserves another shot to be a starting goalie because he tends to play very well when given a heavy workload. As a backup he is pretty bad in spot starts. I'd love to see him get a shot with you guys.

Burakovsky95* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 07:02 AM
Hip Of Rick
Snow Must Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
good stat from the Isles radio team. Islanders 1-8-2 this season when Nabby is on IR.

That's the season right there and it's 100% on Garf.
So pathetic. As I said before if we had an actual NHL backup like we all knew was needed we would easily have 5-8 more points and be ~1-3 points out of the wildcard spot. Not unreasonable to think almost any other backup could be 4-7 in those 11 decisions.

Getting a backup should not be a challenge for a GM and Wang had nothing to do with it.

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 07:23 AM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by islesfan186 View Post
TSN reporting that Nabby will miss at least a week:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=440632
That's the minimum requirement of time for a player on "injured reserve."

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 07:28 AM
bvon44

Quote:
Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 11m

Don't think this news made it to the links last night: Evgeni Nabokov's injury is not considered major, likely to be out 2 weeks. #Isles
Not as bad as we imagined....

bvon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 07:35 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavonnier View Post
Question for everybody clamoring for a goalie trade:

Who would you give up for a goalie, considering the other team would have all the leverage in the situation?
That is my issue here. We moved MM who i think was our best shot at a Goalie.
Baily would net us no return. I would not want to trade Another first either. We do not have any D men to move in FACT we need that as well.
I also would not want to move a second and risk not having a pick in the top two rounds. So i am not sure what you attempt to move. I guess you could move a Kid from Bport and Grabner and get a AVG goalie at best ?

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 07:38 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslanderPride View Post
Sorry but I don't see any move for a goalie until the off-season (FA) .Were going to ride out the rest of this season with Poulin and Nilsson . Time for them to man up or get out .
I think most of agree with you. However it gives us something fun to discuss

Old
01-08-2014, 07:39 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCrandall View Post
Our record since Nabbys return cannot be excused. If Garth does not go shopping, the season was never about making the playoffs it was about not spending Wangs money.
I tend to agree. However not getting a Goalie does not really show that. What a do you move and for who ?

Old
01-08-2014, 07:41 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAIsles View Post
again... not being mean why trade for a band aid??? season is SHOT... play Poulin/Nilsson who really cares... GM "Clueless Back Up Goalie" isn't gonna do spit. But hey The Isles have "Donovan Ness" he is a great prospect.
Who called for a trade for a backup Goalie ?
I would only look for "starter"

Old
01-10-2014, 12:56 PM
Bunk Moreland

Update from staple:

Quote:
@StapeNewsday: Nabokov is here with team in Denver. Doing off-ice work today. #Isles
https://twitter.com/stapenewsday/sta...92419579465728

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 12:59 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
What a do you move and for who ?
I am guessing Scott Clemmenson could be had for cheap if you not looking to break the bank for a starting goalie

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 06:07 PM
Poliz24

I really hope Nilsson becomes the starter one day, he is real big in net. Once he trains to a point where the illness isn't affecting him at all, he can be pretty good. He looks like Rinne, hope he can play like him one day!

Poliz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 11:10 AM
Bunk Moreland

Little update:

Quote:
@StapeNewsday: Nabokov jumps on ice at end of skate, gives pageant wave to empty building. First team activity for him. #Isles
https://twitter.com/stapenewsday/sta...35022682734593

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote