HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How to deal with linemates that don't pass?

Old
01-10-2014, 11:19 AM
MrFunnyWobbl
"inside mad"

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
How to deal with linemates that don't pass?

I play Sledgehockey (very similar to hockey, has nothing to do with the thread just thought I'd put it in). I have this one linemate who is really cocky but not that good and just thinks he's the best. He never passes the puck once were in the zone. He thinks because he has a hard shot (inaccurate though) that he is entitled to always shoot despite being in a poor shooting position.

The thing about him is that all he really has is a hard shot, he is slow and not overly good at much else, but he still thinks he is the show. Luckily he passes to help us gain the zone, but once were in if I feed him a pass it ain't coming back. We had a 2 on 0 from center on last game and not once did he pass it. If he hadn't had scored he would've got an earful.

I also have to pick up the slack from him being slow defensively because I'm fairly quick despite him being the center.

How do you deal with this? I'm constantly yelling to pass but nope.

MrFunnyWobbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 12:54 PM
rinkrat22

vCash: 500
I usually wait for the opportunity where they are wide open and calling for it, look right at them, making good eye contact is even better, so they know you saw them and then don't pass the puck. I have even gone so far as to just dump it in the corner while in the ozone. Then when they ask me why on the bench, I respond with "how do you like it?" that usually gets the point across.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 01:13 PM
Ozz

If they score, I overlook it but might say "Ya had me (at X) just in case". If they don't score, I just let 'em know where I was and how I was playing off of him, and what to expect for next time. I don't get too upset though because we're all guilty of it once in a while.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 01:23 PM
rinkrat22

to clarify, I only do the above in extreme cases where its obvious they are playing selfish

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 01:31 PM
JoeCool16

Tap your ice on the stick and yell your position (IE "Out front, out front"), and then if he screws it up by shooting wide or gets checked, then you've got a good starting point for what Ozz is talking about. Tell him "yeah, I was at X" like he said, and then maybe ask him "where do you want me on the rush? I'm getting open but you're not using me!"

I had a similar guy on my team a year ago who was more talented than I, but not enough to go through everybody as he tried every time. It really helped when I got his thoughts on the rush. It probably helped that I let him know I wanted the puck too, making him realize it wasn't just him. Together we were able to piece together what a good attack looked like. I'd go where he wanted and he'd give me the puck more. Worked out pretty well.

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 01:31 PM
markrander87

Keep going offside when they are hogging the puck, they'll get the point when you continuously go offside when they're hogging the puck.

markrander87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 01:44 PM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
Keep going offside when they are hogging the puck, they'll get the point when you continuously go offside when they're hogging the puck.

Came to post exactly this.

Talk to the guy first, be cool about things... if nothing changes just put yourself and him offside a few times on purpose (don't make it blatent) and say "oh thought the pass was coming as I was clear"

He will get the point.

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 01:45 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 02:04 PM
sanityplease

Lots of beer league heroes think that they're superstars & want to play center (+ think it's the center's job to score the goals). They usually go head down towards the net & blindly shoot the puck without ever taking a look or making a play.

Going offside might not work, as the op stated the player does pass to gain the zone, but after that he puts blinders on. Do the other players on the team feel the same way as you?

Talk to the other winger & agree to stop passing to the center. When the center b*&ches about not getting the puck, tell him why.

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 04:23 PM
Mattb124

You could always just talk with him and express your concnerns.

Mattb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 08:09 PM
MrFunnyWobbl
"inside mad"

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
Thanks for the advice.

I have a game tomorrow against my former team as well as said linemates former team and several other players on our team. Should be interesting to see what he does, I'll report back.

MrFunnyWobbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 02:21 PM
Onetimersniper28
#ibelieveinsasha

That's easy to deal with, just give him the same treatment. Pass him the puck only if you need to get out of trouble, and cooperate more with the other winger.
But if he has a better shot than you, you might want to let him shoot a lot. Also, you should get involved as much as possible defensively to make up for his shortcomings. Your coach will love you.

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote