HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Who will win gold?

Old
01-10-2014, 12:57 PM
Fighter
Soviet Duck

vCash: 692
Gold: Canada
Silver: Sweden
Bronze: Finland

Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 01:33 PM
Adanac

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmen19 View Post
were all those rinks measured to make sure they were exactly 200 by 100?

Wow, I didn't realize how impossible it is going to be for a North American team to win. First the size is going to be a huge huge detriment to the two north American teams, and then the refeering is going to be so what the North American teams are not used to.

Something to consider, the North Americans also aren't used to European food.

So, I guess if one of them wins, it will be the second miracle on ice, and a monumental upset since the European teams have all the advantages.

LMAO....

Did you just ask if they were measured to make sure??

Nah man, they just eyeball it every time. Who the hell knows, may be nhl rinks are actually 200x100 and canadians have been playing on international ice all along.

PS Canadian team was as dominant on paper in 2006. And Russian defense sucked as much as it does today and Canada was still unable to score a single goal in RUS-Canada game.

Adanac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 01:38 PM
hitmen19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adanac View Post
LMAO....

Nah man, they just eyeball it every time. Who the hell knows, may be nhl rinks are actually 200x100 and canadians have been playing on international ice all along.
you have to read the whole thread to get the "joke"

hitmen19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 01:53 PM
Velo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
On a serious note, I think it will be interesting to see if USA/Canada can go against the grain, so far, in the 4 big tournaments, the results have reflected the size of the rinks:

1998: International ice, CZE-RUS final - USA, CAN don't medal
2002: NA Ice, Final CAN-USA
2006: International ice: SWE-FIN final, USA, CAN don't medal
2010: NA ice: CAN-USA final

A lot of people are very quick to disregard the MASSIVE difference the rink size makes, and I honestly don't think it's a coincidence the results have been like they've been so far.
A lot of the Russians, Swedes, Finns, etc play in the NHL though, so they're not used to playing on international-size rinks either. I don't think they have too much of an advantage.

Velo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 01:56 PM
hitmen19

Quote:
LMAO....

PS Canadian team was as dominant on paper in 2006. And Russian defense sucked as much as it does today and Canada was still unable to score a single goal in RUS-Canada game.
VERY GREAT POINT you brought up, because no team has ever got shutout 8 years earlier, and won 8 years later.

Old
01-10-2014, 02:30 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

vCash: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter View Post
Bronze: Finland
I'd be happy with this!

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 03:05 PM
Adanac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmen19 View Post
VERY GREAT POINT you brought up, because no team has ever got shutout 8 years earlier, and won 8 years later.
Are you implying that Canada has already won in 2014? Or are you saying that Canada will win 8 years from now?

The point was that on paper Canada was twice as better and the only way for Russia to win was to do a high-scoring game and outscore the opponent. Yet, Canada was unable to crack mediacore defense and managed to get 2 goals through with the best defense-men on the planet. I remember the same ****-talk 8 years ago..."Canada has enough elite talent to have 2 Olympic rosters", "if allowed we'd win all the medals", "canada will not lose a game" blah blah blah...

Adanac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 03:08 PM
Neinri

Silver: Finland
Bronze: Russia

Canada vs USA Semi, great game
Finland beats Russia in another heartbreaking semi

Final, we get destroyed -.-

Neinri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 04:18 PM
CaptainCatfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassse34 View Post
Sweden! Heard they already planed the victory party
Yes, already started baking the victory cakes in swedish theme

CaptainCatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 05:19 PM
boris4c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
And you do realize that was the first time in 5 tries that a European team won the WJC on European ice. The previous 4 were 2 Canada 2 USA.
What?

We are talking about the referees, not the ice or the home advantage. For the WJC, the referees are from the IIHF, no matter where the tournament is played and no matter the size of the ice.

In the semi-final between Canada and Finland and in a couple of other games, we saw the Canadian players being confused as to some decisions as they would not have been called for the same action in North America.

boris4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 05:20 PM
hitmen19

Quote:
Are you implying that Canada has already won in 2014? Or are you saying that Canada will win 8 years from now?

The point was that on paper Canada was twice as better and the only way for Russia to win was to do a high-scoring game and outscore the opponent. Yet, Canada was unable to crack mediacore defense and managed to get 2 goals through with the best defense-men on the planet. I remember the same ****-talk 8 years ago..."Canada has enough elite talent to have 2 Olympic rosters", "if allowed we'd win all the medals", "canada will not lose a game" blah blah blah...
no im implying what happened in torino will have no bearing on Sochi, and neither will what happened in Vancouver, besides the respective experience the players and coaching staff might have gained.

What will have a factor is the current build up of the rosters. If the Russians are bringing back the same defensemen from torino, at least they will have experience on there side. Canada isn't bringing anybody back from Torino, beside bowmeister and nash, so another reason Russia should rock in Sochi.

But if your asking for my prediction, yes I do think Canada is going to win Gold in Sochi, and I will go on a limb and say Canada will also win in 2022 where ever the games will be held. By all means please come back then to rub it in if im wrong then.

Old
01-10-2014, 06:02 PM
Camshaft77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
On a serious note, I think it will be interesting to see if USA/Canada can go against the grain, so far, in the 4 big tournaments, the results have reflected the size of the rinks:

1998: International ice, CZE-RUS final - USA, CAN don't medal
2002: NA Ice, Final CAN-USA
2006: International ice: SWE-FIN final, USA, CAN don't medal
2010: NA ice: CAN-USA final

A lot of people are very quick to disregard the MASSIVE difference the rink size makes, and I honestly don't think it's a coincidence the results have been like they've been so far.
2002 was on Olympic size ice.

Camshaft77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 10:56 PM
MessierII

I do think Canada is the best team but I like the swedes this time. I'm gonna go

Gold: Sweden
Silver: USA
Bronze: Canada

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 11:09 PM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I'd love for someone like the Finns, Czechs, or Slovaks to win and piss everyone off. It would be hilarious to watch this place burn!
I'd love it if all those teams brought home medals, just to see the hierarchy's of Team USA, Canada, Sweden & Russia **** a brick

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 12:13 AM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

Gold: Russia
Bronze: Canada

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 12:30 AM
Mehar

Bronze: USA

I like how the Canadian roster was built in terms of speed, skill and size and i see them going all the way and finishing the job. Call me a homer if you want (LOL).

Mehar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 12:34 AM
Metrangerfan711
Gotta Believe!

These guys right here:

Metrangerfan711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 04:08 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris4c View Post
What?

We are talking about the referees, not the ice or the home advantage. For the WJC, the referees are from the IIHF, no matter where the tournament is played and no matter the size of the ice.

In the semi-final between Canada and Finland and in a couple of other games, we saw the Canadian players being confused as to some decisions as they would not have been called for the same action in North America.
And those N. American teams seemed to adapt quite well to IIHF officiating if 4 out of the 5 were won by N. American teams. Agree?

Listen, the level of officiating at any IIHF tournament is substandard, jr. tournament especially substandard. We've known that for a 100 years already. The level of officiating at an IIHF tournament with NHL officials is significantly better. I'll take 2 American NHL refs to officiate a game between Canada and the U.S. any day of the week. I trust their level of professionalism.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 07:10 AM
Bounces R Way
Feaster's Beasters

Really surprised at the lack of Russia in this thread. Would of thought a team that includes Ovi, Malkin, Kovalchuk and Datsyuk playing in their host country for Olympic Gold might be more on the radar. Could honestly see AO putting in a legendary performance and willing them to the finals himself. When he hits that extra gear he's the most dominant force in hockey IMO. Roster wise, they may not be in the same conversation as Canada.. but this isn't an 82 game season, it's a short international tournament taking place in Russia. If Bobrovsky and/or Varlamov play well I think they're in the finals.

Bounces R Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 12:13 PM
boris4c

Quote:
I'll take 2 American NHL refs to officiate a game between Canada and the U.S. any day of the week. I trust their level of professionalism.
Is hockey the only sport in the world that allows that?

boris4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 02:43 AM
Backami

1. Sweden
2. Russia
3. USA
4. Canada

Backami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 04:57 AM
daver

If it was Canada or Russia vs. the rest of the field, I would pick the rest of the field.

Similar to 2006, I think Canada will have a hard time getting as motivated as other countries to win after their emotional, storybook win in 2010, and big ice may play a factor.

Russia never seems to respond well to the pressure of trying to win on home ice.

Last edited by daver: 01-12-2014 at 05:16 AM.
daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 05:08 AM
Komarov77

1. Sweden
2. Usa
3. Russia

Komarov77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 05:24 AM
100 Third Graders
BBQ Anyone?

vCash: 50
the country that receives the best goaltending will win.

So I vote Finland and Rask

100 Third Graders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 08:55 AM
Hagged

Quote:
I'll take 2 American NHL refs to officiate a game between Canada and the U.S. any day of the week. I trust their level of professionalism.
Yes they have high level of professionalism. But still the officiating will be more strict in IIHF tournaments. You'll get these phantom calls on "almost boardings" and roughing calls come from every thrown punch and you get slashing calls that "protect" goalies even if the game is not yet blown dead. I guess it's more to do with how IIHF wants to protect the players that participate than to do with how they want the game to look.

The calls that never needed to be made will be seen in this tournament also. And the fans of that team that the call goes against will be crying because of bad officiating regardless of where the refs are from.

Hagged is offline   Reply With Quote