HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sochi Hockey Thread (All Olympic Hockey Talk Here)

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2014, 02:42 PM
The Bored Man
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 500
I love the even strength lines but for God's sake get Kunitz off the powerplay! Benn or Nash are much better "big bodies" in front of the net. Or use Sharp as a cross-ice trigger for Crosby.

I hope that Kunitz isn't to Babcock what Smyth was to Renney.

Old
02-10-2014, 03:24 PM
SephF
See you next time

Kunitz on the first unit PP is such a joke

Carter on the first line is also hilarious.

You're telling me the two best wingers CANADA could come up with the play with the best player in the entire world is Chris fn Kunitz and Carter? Cmon...

Old
02-10-2014, 03:49 PM
alphahelix

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
I like your roster but I'd switch Carter and St.Louis. St. Louis plays a game very similar to Patty Kane so he should be able to click with Toews and Sharp IMO. Carter is also on pace for 40 some goals or something, him being set up by Crosby would be ridiculous.
Its funny that he's "on pace" for a number of goals that Ovechkin already has. Crazy, I mean. And Neal has the same # of goals in way less games.

Old
02-10-2014, 04:01 PM
SoftDumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
Its funny that he's "on pace" for a number of goals that Ovechkin already has. Crazy, I mean. And Neal has the same # of goals in way less games.
I definitely agree with the Jeff Carter comment. He belongs nowhere near that top line, considering the embarrassment of riches we have on forward.

Old
02-10-2014, 04:37 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Kunitz on the first unit PP is such a joke

Carter on the first line is also hilarious.

You're telling me the two best wingers CANADA could come up with the play with the best player in the entire world is Chris fn Kunitz and Carter? Cmon...
The two weakest winger selections in general.

Old
02-10-2014, 04:41 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

I don't have a problem with the lineup at all. Until the PP or lines start struggling, they are fine.

Kunitz has great chemistry with Crosby and doesn't he play around the net in Pittsburgh?

Carter is a sniper and they want a shooter with Crosby.

Really like the Sharp/Toews/Nash line. That is a line that should be good in all situations.

Old
02-10-2014, 05:03 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
I don't have a problem with the lineup at all. Until the PP or lines start struggling, they are fine.

Kunitz has great chemistry with Crosby and doesn't he play around the net in Pittsburgh?

Carter is a sniper and they want a shooter with Crosby.

Really like the Sharp/Toews/Nash line. That is a line that should be good in all situations.
Carter is also a phenominal skater and has great top end speed which will help crosby create space on the big ice. One shot scorer and great shooter, i penciled him in with crosby on the right side from teh begining. but kunitz, that dude should be filling water bottles

Old
02-10-2014, 05:16 PM
duul

vCash: 50
I also called Carter with Crosby on the top line. I can't think of anyone better. Phenomenal speed and shot. He cycles great as well. That line will outcycle every team we play and you'll see Carter capitalizing on a lot of opportunities in the slot. Kunitz works well with Crosby, anyone who claims he shouldn't be there probably hasn't played competitive hockey and understand how crucial chemistry is.

Old
02-10-2014, 05:19 PM
SephF
See you next time

I don't mind Kunitz with Crosby 5v5 (even though I dont think Kunitz should be on the team at all)

but first unit PP? That's a joke.

Just to make one player more comfortable? What about the rest of the guys on the ice?

As for Carter, sure he's a great player and an exceptional scorer but it still pains me that the best wingers Canada could put together to play with the best player on the planet is Kunitz and Carter... it just seems so wrong.

He's also on a bit of a goal scoring slump lately but he's the kind of guy who will score one goal then score over and over again for the next 5 games... hopefully Sid can get him going again.

Old
02-10-2014, 05:35 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Crosby is literally the last player in the world that needs somebody else to make him good. He does not need Kunitz or chemistry on this team in order to be effective. Having a playing who is not good enough for this level of competition will only bring him down.

Old
02-10-2014, 06:56 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
I agree 100%.

Too many Oilers fans are having the problem of accepting the truth.
Hall is a second tier star who thinks he's a first tier star. TC didn't pick him for a reason.

Accept the truth. He's nowhere near the level of anyone on TC currently and it's really sad.

Old
02-10-2014, 06:59 PM
Panda Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Hall is a second tier star who thinks he's a first tier star. TC didn't pick him for a reason.

Accept the truth. He's nowhere near the level of anyone on TC currently and it's really sad.
He's certainly a better player than Matt Duchene and Jeff Carter.

Old
02-10-2014, 07:00 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
Obviously those in charge don't agree.

Old
02-10-2014, 07:08 PM
Ovechking

As David Staples repeatedly tweet about, Taylor Hall is SECOND in league scoring at even strength when accounting for minutes played. 2nd. That's truly incredible. There's no way you can argue he didn't deserve a spot on this team. He is better than Kunitz, Benn, Carter, Marleau, Duchene offensively, and would be excellent on a line with some defensively responsible players.

Old
02-10-2014, 07:10 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechking View Post
As David Staples repeatedly tweet about, Taylor Hall is SECOND in league scoring at even strength when accounting for minutes played. 2nd. That's truly incredible. There's no way you can argue he didn't deserve a spot on this team. He is better than Kunitz, Benn, Carter, Marleau, Duchene offensively, and would be excellent on a line with some defensively responsible players.
Stevie Y put the team together, a GM most of us wanted when he became available.

Think about it, Kevin Lowe is on the committee and I'm sure he would've put in a good word for Hall. They have Jeff Carter playing on Crosby's wing. Doesn't say much for what TC thinks of #4, does it?

Old
02-10-2014, 07:12 PM
Rawg
CEM

Quote:
His only problem is puck management, and that will improve as he matures, Too often he tries to make a fancy play, or a blind hope pass, but you see it so often because he always wants/gets the puck. He would be the youngest player on TC with the only close comparable being tavares and duchene, neither of which are any good defensively and thats why duchene is starting in the PB, and Tavares on the 4th line (with Bergeron on his line)

Old
02-10-2014, 07:23 PM
Draekke

Quote:

I'm hoping that this post has some kind of sarcasm or something in it. Are you really saying that Hall at his current age should be on Team Canada if he was such a player that we all think him to be?

He has been the second highest LW in points since his arrival in the NHL (at least as of a week or so ago, behind OV), and that's including his injuries. Just because they went with more experienced really good players, doesn't mean that our really good player is a pile of manure. I can understand taking Benn, for his physicality and Duchene since he's center.

It also didn't help that Hall wasn't having that good of a start to the year, but I'm really not upset about him not going to the Olympics...

But if you really meant that post of yours, I think you should shake your head a bit... Depending on your definition of a "first tier star," you either undervalue Hall, or overvalue some of the players who are on Team Canada (Benn, Duchene, for example). Hall is top 10 ppg. What player are you watching?

Old
02-10-2014, 07:32 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
To ad to that Hall is perhaps the best Skater in the NHL. He would have been deadly on the large ice. He should be on the team. I have said and I stick by it that he would be better than Tavares on the big ice.

Old
02-10-2014, 07:47 PM
frag2

Quote:

You obviously don't like Hall for a reason

So you think Duchene is a first tier star? Kunitz?

Give me a break

Old
02-10-2014, 07:48 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draekke View Post
I'm hoping that this post has some kind of sarcasm or something in it. Are you really saying that Hall at his current age should be on Team Canada if he was such a player that we all think him to be?

He has been the second highest LW in points since his arrival in the NHL (at least as of a week or so ago, behind OV), and that's including his injuries. Just because they went with more experienced really good players, doesn't mean that our really good player is a pile of manure. I can understand taking Benn, for his physicality and Duchene since he's center.

It also didn't help that Hall wasn't having that good of a start to the year, but I'm really not upset about him not going to the Olympics...

But if you really meant that post of yours, I think you should shake your head a bit... Depending on your definition of a "first tier star," you either undervalue Hall, or overvalue some of the players who are on Team Canada (Benn, Duchene, for example). Hall is top 10 ppg. What player are you watching?
It's not sarcasm. GK has been running this anti-Hall thing for a while since HFOil lambasted the committee for their questionable selections.

Actually, maybe he's been doing this for a while. Not sure why

Old
02-10-2014, 07:52 PM
Soundwave

Quote:

I think that's pretty hyperbolic. Hall would've made the team if he had one more year under his belt (like Duchene) or the Oilers weren't so god awful overall. He will be on the team in 2018, he's just a little raw right now.

Pittsburgh would trade Chris Kunitz for Taylor Hall any day of the week, yet Kunitz is on Team Canada ... it's not necessarily about picking the best player.

There's only I believe eight total players in the NHL at above a PPG *total* ... Crosby, Getzlaf, Tavares, Kessel, P. Kane, Ovechkin, Malkin ... and Taylor Hall. That's it. You're telling me that's a tier 2 player?

Last edited by Soundwave: 02-10-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old
02-10-2014, 08:00 PM
BlowbyBlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I think that's pretty hyperbolic. Hall would've made the team if he had one more year under his belt (like Duchene) or the Oilers weren't so god awful overall. He will be on the team in 2018, he's just a little raw right now.

Pittsburgh would trade Chris Kunitz for Taylor Hall any day of the week, yet Kunitz is on Team Canada ... it's not necessarily about picking the best player.
Team Canada has almost always went with more veteran experience to a fault. I think one more year would have got Hall more consideration. Also I think their is a perception on team Canada if you are on a winning team your more of a contributor to that teams success then if your on a losing team, and that comes largely from the fans.

I remember years ago a guy like Paul Kariya was someone you would want on Team Canada, then it came to what teams wanted him in the NHL and he was thought to be to undersized, not able to stand up to physical punishment, he had the reputation for not being a game changerbeing one dimensional.

I mention this because team Canada openly says they are looking for winners, Hall is a great talent, but its not unrealistic that the committee wants him to be a game changer, and have other elements of his game developed. I am more of the school that if you have defensively sound guys playing with him, let him wreak havoc and Hall much like Kariya usually was the guy making his line what it is.

Old
02-10-2014, 08:16 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Crosby is literally the last player in the world that needs somebody else to make him good. He does not need Kunitz or chemistry on this team in order to be effective. Having a playing who is not good enough for this level of competition will only bring him down.
In a short tourney like this with every single shift being so important I can understand why the team is happy to bring along a guy like Kunitz just to make sure that Crosby gets going right off the bat. He only has one winger to become accustomed with instead of two. Kunitz is also defensively solid, and Carter is a good 2nd faceoff guy on that line as well.

I fell a lot better about this team with guys like Crosby/Kuniitz and especially Getzlaf/Perry. I think when all is said and done Getzlaf and Perry might set the record for number of shifts played together in NHL + international competition.

Old
02-10-2014, 08:18 PM
oilers83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
Offensively yes, overall no. I have a friend with some connections(not great) that was privy to some conversations, and he explained that the issues with Hall was simply turnovers. No one can argue Team Canada's point on that.

Old
02-10-2014, 08:20 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlowbyBlow View Post
Team Canada has almost always went with more veteran experience to a fault.
I dunno about that, Tavares and Duchene are there instead of C Giroux and that smacks of potential more than recent play or experience.

Closed Thread