HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sochi Hockey Thread (All Olympic Hockey Talk Here)

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2014, 02:23 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

vCash: 500
Good win, not great, but they got it done. Improve and build going forward. Also Kunitz is just an awful choice.

Old
02-13-2014, 02:24 PM
ohheyhemsky

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Good win, not great, but they got it done. Improve and build going forward. Also Kunitz is just an awful choice.
But, but, but, Crosby needs someone to play with.

Old
02-13-2014, 02:39 PM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
Aside from Doughty's goal, he was probably our worst d-man.

Old
02-13-2014, 02:49 PM
Asuno

Kunitz was garbage. From playing with the best player having "chemistry" sure made sense. That line along with Carter is plain terrible.

Old
02-13-2014, 03:02 PM
Musashi

Kunitz was fine. He wasn't the one continuously turning it over and stopping the line from generating pressure. Talk about waiting to jump down a guys throat for not immediately scoring in his first game.

Old
02-13-2014, 03:04 PM
SoftDumps

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsyoilerforever View Post
Kunitz was garbage. From playing with the best player having "chemistry" sure made sense. That line along with Carter is plain terrible.
Whaaat? Crosby was very good imo. He made a ton of zipped passes right on the tape, which some players were bobbling. Carter was just terrible, Kunitz below average.

In terms of D, Keith and Weber were great. Doughty not fantastic, but ok.
Rick Nash absolutely awful minus his one chance in the 3rd. Tavares and St Louis were great. Anaheim pair, Bergeron and Benn were also good. Everyone else (if I haven't forgotten anyone) not very noticeable.

Old
02-13-2014, 03:05 PM
PepsiFiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwick Bill View Post
Kunitz was fine. He wasn't the one continuously turning it over and stopping the line from generating pressure. Talk about waiting to jump down a guys throat for not immediately scoring in his first game.
Haha, agreed, everyone is jumping all over Kunitz, Carter and Nash, meanwhile Toews, Sharp, Getzlaf, Perry etc... all had average games as well.

Old
02-13-2014, 03:07 PM
SoftDumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFiend View Post
Haha, agreed, everyone is jumping all over Kunitz, Carter and Nash, meanwhile Toews, Sharp, Getzlaf, Perry etc... all had average games as well.
Carter and Nash were the worst forwards by far in my opinion. Carter couldn't handle the puck to save his life, kept taking way too long to load up his shots, just overall not a strong showing. Nash didn't frig up too much, but was just a complete non-factor (seemed like he played pretty timid) aside from his one chance.

Old
02-13-2014, 03:08 PM
Soundwave

I'll give Carter one more game to show something, but if he's still playing poorly, get Tavares up there and get him building chemistry with that line asap.

Old
02-13-2014, 03:10 PM
PepsiFiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftDumps View Post
Carter and Nash were the worst forwards by far in my opinion. Carter couldn't handle the puck to save his life, kept taking way too long to load up his shots, just overall not a strong showing. Nash didn't frig up too much, but was just a complete non-factor (seemed like he played pretty timid) aside from his one chance.
I am not disagreeing they didn't have the best of games, but they weren't the only ones who struggled handling the puck/receiving a pass etc...

Old
02-13-2014, 03:15 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

TBH I think Canadian NHL players are starting to adopt the same lackadaisical attitude towards the OLYs that the US NBA players have had for some time. Basically show up, don't care about it much and expect to win. The only difference being hockey containing a few more competitive squads that could conceivably win.

What you see on the ice in a game like this is one team that really cares how they perform and take it really seriously and another that wonder why they can't just be on holiday.

Old
02-13-2014, 03:21 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
TBH I think Canadian NHL players are starting to adopt the same lackadaisical attitude towards the OLYs that the US NBA players have had for some time. Basically show up, don't care about it much and expect to win. The only difference being hockey containing a few more competitive squads that could conceivably win.

What you see on the ice in a game like this is one team that really cares how they perform and take it really seriously and another that wonder why they can't just be on holiday.
I think it honestly has more to do with guys who are all used to prime minutes on their teams being forced to play different types of roles. When's the last time in his life John Tavares played 4th line center?

Old
02-13-2014, 03:22 PM
Asuno

Quote:
Whaaat? Crosby was very good imo. He made a ton of zipped passes right on the tape, which some players were bobbling. Carter was just terrible, Kunitz below average.

In terms of D, Keith and Weber were great. Doughty not fantastic, but ok.
Rick Nash absolutely awful minus his one chance in the 3rd. Tavares and St Louis were great. Anaheim pair, Bergeron and Benn were also good. Everyone else (if I haven't forgotten anyone) not very noticeable.
Oh no, I'm not blaming anything on Crosby. I didn't like Kunitz and Carter.

Old
02-13-2014, 03:25 PM
SoftDumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsyoilerforever View Post
Oh no, I'm not blaming anything on Crosby. I didn't like Kunitz and Carter.
Roger. Either (1) your post sounded like that unintentionally, or (2) I can't read. I'll take door number 2, I've been told this on the board a few times

Old
02-13-2014, 03:27 PM
Asuno

Quote:
Roger. Either (1) your post sounded like that unintentionally, or (2) I can't read. I'll take door number 2, I've been told this on the board a few times
No harm done either way, bud.

Old
02-13-2014, 03:29 PM
tv14

Carter and Kunitz were god awful, such a shame they made it, they were the two biggest beefs I had with the roster. Putting those two with Crosby completely wastes his talent. Working with what we got, this is what I'd do.

Tavares-Crosby-St Louis
Sharp-Toews-Nash
Marleau-Getzlaf-Perry
Benn-Bergeron-Carter/Duchene
Scratch Kunitz

Old
02-13-2014, 03:39 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Huh. I had a completely different take. Canada had a rough first period and then took over the game entirely. It wasn't a blowout in terms of the score, but Canada put on a clinic in the 2nd and 3rd period. They weren't outworked out there today.

Old
02-13-2014, 03:43 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

ehhhhh Rask was sleepwalking today as well. Not overly concerned for the first game against a minor opponent.

Old
02-13-2014, 03:43 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Aside from Doughty's goal, he was probably our worst d-man.
doughty was the best dman on the ice with his puck control and his puck movement up the ice.

Old
02-13-2014, 03:44 PM
Declassified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Huh. I had a completely different take. Canada had a rough first period and then took over the game entirely. It wasn't a blowout in terms of the score, but Canada put on a clinic in the 2nd and 3rd period. They weren't outworked out there today.
I basically agree with this. We always have these games at the start of tournaments were a weaker team surprises and plays well. Don't forget the other team has some pride too and Norway is on the upswing. The key is to learn to get better as the games go on. anyone remember the Germany and Switzerland games in 2010?

Old
02-13-2014, 03:47 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

also kunitz generates absoluetly nothing

bergeron and tavares looked great, carter was skating fine just struggled with the puck nash was good on the pk, thats about it

Old
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
doughty was the best dman on the ice with his puck control and his puck movement up the ice.
lol.

Pietrangelo, Bouwmeester, Weber, and Keith were all better.

Hamhuis and Vlasic didn't play enough to guage.

Old
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declassified View Post
I basically agree with this. We always have these games at the start of tournaments were a weaker team surprises and plays well. Don't forget the other team has some pride too and Norway is on the upswing. The key is to learn to get better as the games go on. anyone remember the Germany and Switzerland games in 2010?
or the 5-2 schlubbing the americans gave us in the round robin

Old
02-13-2014, 03:49 PM
ohheyhemsky

I'm surprised there isn't a lot of attention towards our penalties in this game. Were any of them even decent penalties to take? I missed most of the first, but from what I saw going on, it was terrible. Canada seems to be having a lot of problems with penalties, all the way down to the U-17 tournament as of late.

Old
02-13-2014, 04:09 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
It was a 2-1 score in the 3rd period. In a game where the Canadian allstar club had all kinds of trouble getting untracked and establishing anything.

Against Norway.

Not sure what else I have to say. Seemed like Norway stayed around physically in the game and played quite well considering.

Like for instance considering one would think this should be a blow out.

Closed Thread