HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sochi Hockey Thread (All Olympic Hockey Talk Here)

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2014, 03:56 AM
sepHF
hiss hiss

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Slovenia owning Slovakia 3-0 right now with 10 minutes to go in the third.

They were the better team through 2 periods and it was 0-0. Exploded with some goals including a beauty by Kopitar where the entire Slovak team looked like buffoons just standing around.
This game is great, Kopitar is such a beast... he's going to end up with close to 30m of icetime.

Old
02-15-2014, 04:09 AM
40oz

vCash: 500
Slovenia! Just awesome.

Tough for Marincin and the Slovaks, but they've been awful.

Old
02-15-2014, 04:11 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Good god that was a boring game. I thought international hockey was supposed to put an emphasis on skating and skill? I've never seen more shots go into shinpads.

Old
02-15-2014, 04:13 AM
Spawn

This is just crazy. Outside of Kopitar, the Slovenian team is made up of guys playing almost exclusively in Austria/Denmark. It's not like these guys are playing in the best Euro leagues.

They looked incredible out there against a Slovak team that should have steamrolled them.

Old
02-15-2014, 04:30 AM
40oz

So if anyone else is looking for the USA-Russia game, it is on CBC at 5:30MST despite not being on the listings (at least for mine with Shaw). It's really frustrating that I have to PVR a 4 hour block because of the listings are set up.

Old
02-15-2014, 04:34 AM
cyril*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
So if anyone else is looking for the USA-Russia game, it is on CBC at 5:30MST despite not being on the listings (at least for mine with Shaw). It's really frustrating that I have to PVR a 4 hour block because of the listings are set up.
This right here is the definition of "first world problems".

Old
02-15-2014, 09:25 AM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

So I know a lot of people don't like shootouts, but that one was ridiculously entertaining. I'd watch that over and over.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
02-15-2014, 09:29 AM
Locksy

Great game. And I am mad or did Belov look fantastic out there?

Old
02-15-2014, 09:37 AM
oilers83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
This is just crazy. Outside of Kopitar, the Slovenian team is made up of guys playing almost exclusively in Austria/Denmark. It's not like these guys are playing in the best Euro leagues.

They looked incredible out there against a Slovak team that should have steamrolled them.
It's incredible when a group of guys buy into a team system and put there egos aside. Look at the Russians, playing a well structured game and look great.

It's so uplifting after watching what we have gone through the last couple of years

Old
02-15-2014, 10:12 AM
jp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locksy View Post
Great game. And I am mad or did Belov look fantastic out there?
I remember he took a shot from center ice and hit the net, I could not believe my eyes

The lack of sleep and coffee abuse was worth it, what a game

Old
02-15-2014, 10:36 AM
Jek McPorkins
Red Six

vCash: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril View Post
Propping up the CBC with our taxes and then getting screwed by high cable fees, it's not unreasonable to ask the provider for some proper programming information.

This isn't really on the same level of a high school grad throwing a fit because her parents bought her the wrong Porsche.

Old
02-15-2014, 11:43 AM
BleedingOil

They had other events on before. Figure it out

Old
02-15-2014, 11:58 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
Propping up the CBC with our taxes and then getting screwed by high cable fees, it's not unreasonable to ask the provider for some proper programming information.

This isn't really on the same level of a high school grad throwing a fit because her parents bought her the wrong Porsche.
It's honestly incredibly simple to figure out.

Old
02-15-2014, 12:03 PM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
The listings are intentionally vague because they don't you knowing when they will go from one event to the other so that you are stuck watching the whole 4hr segment. You can't get better information from event schedule start times either as the events run on TV as per the broadcaster whims. CBC keeps most events close to live but not always.

Quote:

Again its an advertising revenue scam. When they draw this up they've fine tuned it to be mysterious, vague, misleading. This is standard as well. They want the viewer to feel like they have to be glued to the set all day to catch their favorite events.

Its complete bs. Because right now the technology exists in your high priced Shaw programming package to simply have event by event listings on extra tier channels. How hard would it be for Shaw to say use 5 of the unused NFL tiers to broadcast Olympic events in high def? With events clearly listed. Want to watch the hockey game, just go to following channel.

Its hilarious that they don't provide that. But consumers sometimes have to demand changes as well.

Old
02-15-2014, 12:08 PM
cyril*

Quote:

Awww, poor baby.

If people are "upset" about programming information then life should be pretty damn good.

Old
02-15-2014, 12:38 PM
Rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The listings are intentionally vague because they don't you knowing when they will go from one event to the other so that you are stuck watching the whole 4hr segment. You can't get better information from event schedule start times either as the events run on TV as per the broadcaster whims. CBC keeps most events close to live but not always.

Again its an advertising revenue scam. When they draw this up they've fine tuned it to be mysterious, vague, misleading. This is standard as well. They want the viewer to feel like they have to be glued to the set all day to catch their favorite events.

Its complete bs. Because right now the technology exists in your high priced Shaw programming package to simply have event by event listings on extra tier channels. How hard would it be for Shaw to say use 5 of the unused NFL tiers to broadcast Olympic events in high def? With events clearly listed. Want to watch the hockey game, just go to following channel.

Its hilarious that they don't provide that. But consumers sometimes have to demand changes as well.
The provider has nothing to do with it...it is broadcast rights.....CBC , TSN , Sportsnet would have to provide Shaw, telus, etc with new Olympic channels to add .....and to top it off the providers have very little to do with the on screen guides as well, that info is provided to then by another company as well.....and then interfaced with the providers digital guide....shaw has nothing to do with Olympic coverage. It would break just about every crtc law for shaw to create new channels just for the Olympic Games without owning to broadcast right for the Olympics

Last edited by Rafters: 02-15-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old
02-15-2014, 12:51 PM
Philly85*
I Ain't Even Mad

watching LAT/SWE right now the Latvian power play looks good! just scored 4-3 Sweden.

Old
02-15-2014, 01:09 PM
Kyle McMahon

I got a real kick out of Sandis Ozolinsh against Czech the other night. Had no idea he was still around. He was really going balls out for Latvia, was hoping they'd pull off an upset. Thought he was going to fight the other night, that would have been epic.

Old
02-15-2014, 01:15 PM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafters View Post
The provider has nothing to do with it...it is broadcast rights.....CBC , TSN , Sportsnet would have to provide Shaw, telus, etc with new Olympic channels to add .....and to top it off the providers have very little to do with the on screen guides as well, that info is provided to then by another company as well.....and then interfaced with the providers digital guide....shaw has nothing to do with Olympic coverage. It would break just about every crtc law for shaw to create new channels just for the Olympic Games without owning to broadcast right for the Olympics
It would be win/win for either party and theres already precedent for Sportsnet, TSN having different tiers. Theres precedent with Moviechannel, Superchannel having multiple channels. Theres NFL subscription, NHL subscription. The extra channels would be CBC tier temporary channels. for the duration of the games. This would be the same commercial broadcaster, same commercials, just taking place on a tiered channel similarly to how Oiler broadcasts are on a 300level channel if the other 2 sportsnet channels are occupied. Theres nothing too unusual in what I'm suggesting and its done already.

An Olympic carrier pays big bucks to be the network for the games. It seems odd that a bit of money couldn't be spend getting some multi universe coverage on the biggest sporting event.

At this moment in time you should be able to select exactly what you want to watch, what event you want to watch. Hey, it was the digital universe and content providers that talked up this expectation with the advent of these services. Which has not been fully realized. Its absolutely ridiculous in the 100's of channels digital universe that were essentially watching content being provided exactly the same way it was in the analog universe.

Finally, theres nothing stopping shaw from having Olympics as video on demand recap. Again this would be the actual CBC coverage but just broken into events that subscribers can choose from.

The technology as stated is there to do this. The willingness however..

Old
02-15-2014, 01:27 PM
Spawn

A lot of the lesser teams are having good showings this year so far.

Old
02-15-2014, 01:42 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril View Post
And my PVR cut off half way through OT

Quote:
They know when the hockey is being played, most of the other games (and all the ones on sportsnet have been listed separate. Honestly I can't complain much, the coverage has been fantastic.

Old
02-15-2014, 01:44 PM
Oi'll say!
Read this now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
This game is great, Kopitar is such a beast... he's going to end up with close to 30m of icetime.
Ya know I got flogged on this site for saying that we should trade Hemsky for that player. And Getzlaf and Hamhuis.

Good times.

Old
02-15-2014, 01:47 PM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
I got nailed here for calling him the best player in hockey a few years back. Just a dominant force. In a money game I want noboby else as a go to player. Well, him and Doughty are hockey gods to me. lol

Old
02-15-2014, 01:49 PM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
And my PVR cut off half way through OT

They know when the hockey is being played, most of the other games (and all the ones on sportsnet have been listed separate. Honestly I can't complain much, the coverage has been fantastic.
Yeah CBC coverage is always pretty good. One of the better carriers. Just that it seems like you need to kind of dedicate several days to the coverage. Its addictive.

I try to resist, because just like having that first drink its sometimes then all you're going to be doing the rest of the day...

The wifey has all these projects for me...what to do?

Old
02-15-2014, 02:05 PM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Yeah CBC coverage is always pretty good. One of the better carriers. Just that it seems like you need to kind of dedicate several days to the coverage. Its addictive.

I try to resist, because just like having that first drink its sometimes then all you're going to be doing the rest of the day...

The wifey has all these projects for me...what to do?
My problem with CBC is all the commercials! It's frustrating I was watching the mens 1500M speed skating recap this morning and literally after every 2 minute run they'd run 2 minutes of commercials. I had to turn it off just could take it any more. Maybe it was just the time of day and they are not doing it all the time but reallly made it unwatchable.

Closed Thread