HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sochi Hockey Thread (All Olympic Hockey Talk Here)

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2014, 09:57 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Zezel View Post
I feel bad for Russia, tough loss on home soil. It might be a knee jerk thought, but I wonder in the future if more superstar Russians will play in the KHL to help with the Olympic effort.
Only if the money is right I suspect. This is the new mother russia. Not quite like the old.

When watching the vastly disorganized Russian play as contrasted to the brilliant play of the CCCP one even wonders about how much that transition has had its profound impacts on the philosophy of the Russian game, team concept, fighting for all, etc. This is not a central machine anymore with all parts creating a whole. There is no sense of team in this bunch. There hasn't been an awful lot in Russian teams for awhile.

Have to admit I though more freedom might advance some of the Russian play and bring about some unique play in highly skilled playrs. What it has brought is much like the country, confusion on ice.

I feel sorry for the Russian players too because they don't really know what happened and why they haven't been all that good on the world, and particularly Olympic stage anymore.

Old
02-19-2014, 10:08 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Zezel View Post
I feel bad for Russia, tough loss on home soil. It might be a knee jerk thought, but I wonder in the future if more superstar Russians will play in the KHL to help with the Olympic effort.
soem of the tweets coming out suggest the opposite. aparently Malkin had to turn to the coach to tell him to put bobrovsky in, several times before it happened. It was obvious from the start that ovie and malkin shouldnt be playing together and the KHL coaching let them down.

Old
02-19-2014, 10:29 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
soem of the tweets coming out suggest the opposite. aparently Malkin had to turn to the coach to tell him to put bobrovsky in, several times before it happened. It was obvious from the start that ovie and malkin shouldnt be playing together and the KHL coaching let them down.
Also Varlamov didn't want to come out and was very angry and animated about it and beaking at the coach. All round and throughout it looked like the Russian coaching staff didn't have the faith of the NHL Russians in the lineup.

More politics rearing its head. The Russian attempt to kickstart the KHL backfired miserably costing them a medal.

Old
02-19-2014, 10:48 AM
Spawn

Am I the only one sick about all the press talking about trying to get Sidney Crosby going?

If he isn't going than throw him on the 4th line and play any of the other supsterstars on the team ahead of him. Center depth isn't a problem on this team and there isn't a single other player on the team that wouldn't have their minutes reduced if they were playing poorly.

Stop trying to focus so much on getting one player going. This team will not live and die on how one player performs.

Old
02-19-2014, 10:50 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Also Varlamov didn't want to come out and was very angry and animated about it and beaking at the coach. All round and throughout it looked like the Russian coaching staff didn't have the faith of the NHL Russians in the lineup.

More politics rearing its head. The Russian attempt to kickstart the KHL backfired miserably costing them a medal.
I think going in we knew their D wasnt up to par with some of the other teams. It reared it's ugly head twice today. Voynov struggled the entire tournament non PP and Nikitin was just horrible throughout. It's bad when Belov is one of your better D. Im not surprised but Nichushkin should've played more. Malkin and Ovechkin are going to take a lot of heat for their performance and obviously the coach is done coaching the National Team. Varlamov wasnt confident in net. After the horrible goal he was scared to make a mistake and we all know that's death to success for any goaltender. A confident goalie poke checks that third goal as a normal routine. He was sitting back in net waiting for things to happen to him. Not starting Bob proved a costly mistake. Once again, Varlamov shows he's not ready for primetime, even though he is the Russian staff's choice.

Old
02-19-2014, 10:53 AM
Petes2424

Quote:

Politics certainly came into play. Medvedev getting that much ice time, Bob being on the crapper list because he shunned that $10 million deal, etc.

The good thing about both the Canadian and Americans is both coaches arent really concerned about the politics. Sure, they exist but Babcock is going to coach the way he's going to coach. Bylsma doesnt play that game either, although he's not the smartest of coaches in my opinion of course.

Old
02-19-2014, 11:11 AM
OilDrop37

vCash: 10185
5 guys lined up along the blue line for the Latvians....

Old
02-19-2014, 11:30 AM
Barkert Downboy Jr.
Useful Idiot

vCash: 50
The Canadian jerseys are god ugly.

Latvia scores... lol

Old
02-19-2014, 11:32 AM
Lacaar

Bergeron gets makes the worlds dumbest pass.. had an open shot.

Latvia scores.

Weber makes a dumb play with a broken stick and gets a penalty

Old
02-19-2014, 11:39 AM
Toydarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
Bergeron gets makes the worlds dumbest pass.. had an open shot.

Latvia scores.

Weber makes a dumb play with a broken stick and gets a penalty
It was Keith and he really didn't have a lot of options there.

Old
02-19-2014, 11:46 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Only if the money is right I suspect. This is the new mother russia. Not quite like the old.

When watching the vastly disorganized Russian play as contrasted to the brilliant play of the CCCP one even wonders about how much that transition has had its profound impacts on the philosophy of the Russian game, team concept, fighting for all, etc. This is not a central machine anymore with all parts creating a whole. There is no sense of team in this bunch. There hasn't been an awful lot in Russian teams for awhile.

Have to admit I though more freedom might advance some of the Russian play and bring about some unique play in highly skilled playrs. What it has brought is much like the country, confusion on ice.

I feel sorry for the Russian players too because they don't really know what happened and why they haven't been all that good on the world, and particularly Olympic stage anymore.
Heh. I have to figure the perception that the Russians have fallen from the peak is a little bit tarnished by the fact that their reputation was built on a system that enabled them to cheat their way to decades of global dominance. Once the system crumbled and these things became actual best-on-best, we see them for the frauds they were all along.

Old
02-19-2014, 12:07 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

Canada. Y u no score

Old
02-19-2014, 12:07 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Heh. I have to figure the perception that the Russians have fallen from the peak is a little bit tarnished by the fact that their reputation was built on a system that enabled them to cheat their way to decades of global dominance. Once the system crumbled and these things became actual best-on-best, we see them for the frauds they were all along.
They looked pretty close to our best throughout the 70's and 80's I thought. Always a good matchup and I'm talking all the Canada Cups, club team games, all star formats and so on.

Sure didn't look like a fraud in this tournament;

http://www.iihf.com/iihf-home/the-ii.../story-36.html

Old
02-19-2014, 12:09 PM
#ualberta

I don't know if I should be worried right now

That Latvian goalie is playing his brains out

Old
02-19-2014, 12:11 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

PP latvia.

Why am I nervous

Old
02-19-2014, 12:19 PM
OilDrop37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
I don't know if I should be worried right now

That Latvian goalie is playing his brains out
Be worried....

Old
02-19-2014, 12:19 PM
Toydarian

In a ridiculous way, you just have to laugh at a game like this. CAN absolutely dominating this game and they still can't score. What can you do.

Old
02-19-2014, 12:20 PM
Playa Hejda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed to Ruin View Post
PP latvia.

Why am I nervous
I have no idea. Maybe because you're an Oilers fan? We're outshooting Latvia (LATVIA!) 547 to -7. We'll be fine.

Old
02-19-2014, 12:21 PM
OilDrop37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
In a ridiculous way, you just half to laugh at a game like this. CAN absolutely dominating this game and they still can't score. What can you do.
It happens sometimes...they've had some good chances and lots of pressure, hot goalie trumps that every time.

Old
02-19-2014, 12:22 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

one game sucky elimination format is one game sucky elimination format whatever happens.

Old
02-19-2014, 12:22 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa Hejda View Post
I have no idea. Maybe because you're an Oilers fan? We're outshooting Latvia (LATVIA!) 547 to -7. We'll be fine.
A lot of shots are low%

Old
02-19-2014, 12:24 PM
Barkert Downboy Jr.
Useful Idiot

Most underwhelming Canadian team ever? I haven't watched them much these Olympics but tied 1-1 with Latvia going into the 3rd?

Old
02-19-2014, 12:24 PM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
Be worried....
Oh god I'm worried I'm worried

Up next comes panic

Old
02-19-2014, 12:25 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
They looked pretty close to our best throughout the 70's and 80's I thought. Always a good matchup and I'm talking all the Canada Cups, club team games, all star formats and so on.

Sure didn't look like a fraud in this tournament;

http://www.iihf.com/iihf-home/the-ii.../story-36.html
Kinda making my case for me. We're talking about a team that played, trained and even lived together pretty much year round. I'd expect them to be able to compete with the ad hoc teams of NHL pros we were able to throw together back then, let alone the teams of college kids and other amateurs that were so much fodder for the big red machine in the Olympics, World Championships etc.

Old
02-19-2014, 12:27 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
In a ridiculous way, you just have to laugh at a game like this. CAN absolutely dominating this game and they still can't score. What can you do.
Not leave one of the country's top scoring young players at home? Just a thought.

Closed Thread