HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sochi Hockey Thread (All Olympic Hockey Talk Here)

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2014, 02:41 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
I am a bit worried about the Americans on friday, they have a team that is built for the big ice. I actually think Tavares out and Duchene in will help us. I can't stand Kunitz on the team, IMO he has been brutal. Hall could be on that line. Any way, anythign can happen in one game, so it is a coin toss really.

Any one know the official time? 10 MST?

Old
02-19-2014, 02:45 PM
tv14

Wow, that was close. I almost had a heart attack. I think Canada tends to play to the level of their competition, so Im hoping a game against the U.S. really elevates us.

This tourney we have seen vintage Hemsky, and I LOVE watching it. He is really turning back the time. His second goal today was pure beauty. Although he is one of my favourite players still, I have come to terms that he is gone, hopefully teams have taken notice and we can get something good for him.

Old
02-19-2014, 02:46 PM
czar99

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Having an edge in offense doesn't seem to be doing any wonders in the win/loss column for any of the teams playing here.

If the US buries 5 goals against Canada I'll eat this post.

D will win this tournament the way it looks. Canada has plenty of grade A in that.

None of its got scrambled yet either. Lost to observers is Canada sure isn't giving up a whole lot of goals.

Something to feel good about.
I think this is going to help us going forward. Everyone we have played (sans Austria) has played us close which has forced us to play sound defense. If USA opens things up I think that works in our favor. We've also be able to win tight games as well.

Old
02-19-2014, 02:47 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
I am a bit worried about the Americans on friday, they have a team that is built for the big ice. I actually think Tavares out and Duchene in will help us. I can't stand Kunitz on the team, IMO he has been brutal. Hall could be on that line. Any way, anythign can happen in one game, so it is a coin toss really.

Any one know the official time? 10 MST?
It would be silly not to be worried about the Americans. Regardless of how either team has played so far. Both are excellent hockey teams and either could win on a given night.

I think playing against players they know against a system they will likely be more familiar with will actually help Canada.

It's a toss up. I'm not sure of a win by any means, but I do strongly believe that Canada is more than capable of defeating the American team on Friday regardless of how either team has played so far.

Old
02-19-2014, 02:50 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
I actually think Tavares out and Duchene in will help us.
I think his infusion of speed might help. I think Tavares was mismanaged though. Not sure why Bergeron was playing with Crosby.

Is it official that Tavares is ruled out for Friday?

Old
02-19-2014, 02:52 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
I think his infusion of speed might help. I think Tavares was mismanaged though. Not sure why Bergeron was playing with Crosby.

Is it official that Tavares is ruled out for Friday?
Tavares is out of the olympics according to TSN. Ya, I agree. I really thought Tavares should have been on the first line with Crosby. No idea why they thought Bergeron would be a better fit.

Old
02-19-2014, 02:53 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
It would be silly not to be worried about the Americans. Regardless of how either team has played so far. Both are excellent hockey teams and either could win on a given night.

I think playing against players they know against a system they will likely be more familiar with will actually help Canada.

It's a toss up. I'm not sure of a win by any means, but I do strongly believe that Canada is more than capable of defeating the American team on Friday regardless of how either team has played so far.
To be clear I think Canada has a better team. Just think the big ice will relatively favor the US and make it a more even game that it other wise would be. I mean I would give Canada 60/40 odds. Which is almost a coin toss. Will come down to a lucky break here or there, well that is life in a one game match up.

Old
02-19-2014, 02:54 PM
Soundwave

Hall Tavares Duchene should be Canada's "energy line".

But noooo, we just had to take Kunitz, Marleau, and Sharp.

Old
02-19-2014, 02:58 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
taylor halls speed would be an automatic trap buster, very useful in the international game.

Old
02-19-2014, 02:58 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Hall Tavares Duchene should be Canada's "energy line".

But noooo, we just had to take Kunitz, Marleau, and Sharp.
Really hoping MSL starts contributing because he is in no way a Stamkos replacement.

I would put Crosby between Sharp and Benn.

Duchene between Getzlaf and Perry

Toews between Marleau and St. Louis

Bergeron between Nash and Carter

extra= Kunitz

Last edited by AlowlyOilersfan: 02-19-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old
02-19-2014, 03:01 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
taylor halls speed would be an automatic trap buster, very useful in the international game.
I have been saying this all along. Slower skilled players get killed in the trap. The trap is all about being able to go wide with speed.

Old
02-19-2014, 03:02 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
Really hoping MSL starts contributing because he is in no way a Stamkos replacement.
Ya, I will save it, cuase if they lose it will always be easy to say they should have picked so and so, but the thought of Giroux and Hall on this team instead of MSL and Kunitz right now would be huge IMO.

Old
02-19-2014, 03:04 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
I have been saying this all along. Slower skilled players get killed in the trap. The trap is all about being able to go wide with speed.
Yeah, Kessel and JVR love to drive wide too ... they're killing it on the bigger ice surface.

Old
02-19-2014, 03:09 PM
Spawn

Tyler Seguin could have been helpful on this team too. But right now I'm not going to get too critical though. We'll see what happens on Friday.

Old
02-19-2014, 03:10 PM
LTIR

Ted Nolan for Oilers coach???

Teams like FIN and LAT prove how a good system\coaching can make a big difference.

Also, Hemsky's trade value just bumped up a notch after the gave vs USA

Old
02-19-2014, 03:12 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Tyler Seguin could have been helpful on this team too. But right now I'm not going to get too critical though. We'll see what happens on Friday.
Was actually going to mention Seguin as well. Hall, Seguin, and Giroux IMO should be in over Kunitz or MSL. but, whatever, may as well just relax and watch on friday. going to be a great game!!

Old
02-19-2014, 03:13 PM
frag2

Quote:
Tavares is out of the olympics according to TSN. Ya, I agree. I really thought Tavares should have been on the first line with Crosby. No idea why they thought Bergeron would be a better fit.
Because same old Hockey Canada mentality of "familiarity breeds success" after Crosby's successful run with ages ago

What has Kunitz, Marleau, Sharp, Benn, provided all tourney? I want to say Carter as well but he got his lamo hat trick so have to give him credit for that

Old
02-19-2014, 03:18 PM
Soundwave

Friday's game for Canada I think actually is all about our D shutting down Kessel and Kane. Maybe we should even (gasp) contemplate playing a trap.

Old
02-19-2014, 03:20 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Because same old Hockey Canada mentality of "familiarity breeds success" after Crosby's successful run with ages ago

What has Kunitz, Marleau, Sharp, Benn, provided all tourney? I want to say Carter as well but he got his lamo hat trick so have to give him credit for that
Benn's been ok I guess. Nothing special.

Kunitz, Marleau, Sharp, and Nash stick out a bit like a sore thumb.

Would rather have Hall, Giroux, Neal, and Seguin in.

Old
02-19-2014, 03:22 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Polaris GTFO my comp

Quote:
Because Hockey Canada tries to build a NHL complete team instead of just sending best players, This lineup is being a little exposed on the international Ice. Same crap with wjc as well .

Old
02-19-2014, 03:22 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Friday's game for Canada I think actually is all about our D shutting down Kessel and Kane. Maybe we should even (gasp) contemplate playing a trap.
I dont think they need to play a trap to play rock solid defense. Lost in Canada's struggles to score is that they have given up almost nothing through 4 games. That defense is on a level that no other team can even come close to touching. It was Canada's strength before the tournament, it is proving to be the strength now and it wouldn't be a surprise if it is again on Friday.

Old
02-19-2014, 03:41 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post

Carter was one of our best players vs the Finn's IMO.

Old
02-19-2014, 03:42 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
I dont think they need to play a trap to play rock solid defense. Lost in Canada's struggles to score is that they have given up almost nothing through 4 games. That defense is on a level that no other team can even come close to touching. It was Canada's strength before the tournament, it is proving to be the strength now and it wouldn't be a surprise if it is again on Friday.
Gave up nothing? Haven't they played the wishful hopefuls the last couple games? Barely any competition there. Canada has been horrible.

Old
02-19-2014, 03:43 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Gotta say Kudos man. Didn't agree with your take initially but these elimination games are sure played out how you describe.

Always enjoy your thought provoking posts even when we disagree.

its strange how unintuitive the results of bigger ice are. One would innately expect more room, more chance for offense. But D strategy as usual finds a way to prevail.

Still, I wonder how some of Canadas best would adapt to this big ice play if they had enough time to reinvent and put the collapse D more to the test.
You would think the bigger ice would open up the game but it hasnt been that way. The european leagues have been dominated by defensive play forever and a large part of that is the large ice.

Maybe if the NHL played on it regularly you'd find some teams develop systems that could break it down but when it's a tournament with teams thrown together this quick it's pretty unlikely. The Latvians played a good system against us today, they collapsed and acted like they were penalty killing even when it was 5 on 5. They created the occasional chance when they got a 1 on 1 break by pressuring our d when it was available to them. The Czech's didnt play this tight defensively against the US, and the Americans had a couple lucky bounces.

I think anybody can win this tournament now. If it were best of 7 I'd say we'd beat anybody but with the one and done format who knows. We're the best talent wise but that doesnt always matter. Sometimes a lucky bounce or a hot goaltender can be all the difference in one game.

Old
02-19-2014, 03:48 PM
Lindo

I think there's too much emphasis on playing 'safe', they need people to push the pace and play their 'risky' games (not all that risky, at all imo) like Hall, Subban, Duchene.

Closed Thread