HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sochi Hockey Thread (All Olympic Hockey Talk Here)

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2014, 03:58 PM
okgooil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
You would think the bigger ice would open up the game but it hasnt been that way. The european leagues have been dominated by defensive play forever and a large part of that is the large ice.

Maybe if the NHL played on it regularly you'd find some teams develop systems that could break it down but when it's a tournament with teams thrown together this quick it's pretty unlikely. The Latvians played a good system against us today, they collapsed and acted like they were penalty killing even when it was 5 on 5. They created the occasional chance when they got a 1 on 1 break by pressuring our d when it was available to them. The Czech's didnt play this tight defensively against the US, and the Americans had a couple lucky bounces.

I think anybody can win this tournament now. If it were best of 7 I'd say we'd beat anybody but with the one and done format who knows. We're the best talent wise but that doesnt always matter. Sometimes a lucky bounce or a hot goaltender can be all the difference in one game.
Total myth that big ice opens the game up. It shuts it down. It turns it into a game more like soccer. You just give the teams the outside and clog up the middle. Smaller ice forces teams to play more wide open.

Old
02-19-2014, 04:00 PM
okgooil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
I think there's too much emphasis on playing 'safe', they need people to push the pace and play their 'risky' games (not all that risky, at all imo) like Hall, Subban, Duchene.
Ya, haven't talked about that either, but I have no idea why Hamhuis is on the team. THey want to play it safe, but got to play to the strengths. Put Subban out there.

Old
02-19-2014, 04:02 PM
Pablo Aimar
MBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
I think there's too much emphasis on playing 'safe', they need people to push the pace and play their 'risky' games (not all that risky, at all imo) like Hall, Subban, Duchene.
Bingo. After Weber, and probably Kieth, Subban is the best defenceman on the team. Its a total joke that he is sitting while they run out the likes of Vlasic, Jay ****ing Bouwmeester and Pieterangelo. Leaving Hall and Giroux off and taking Chris Kunitz and Nash is more of the same. The coaching and management want to prove how smart they are; can't do the simple thing and take the best players.

Old
02-19-2014, 04:06 PM
okgooil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Aimar View Post
Bingo. After Weber, and probably Kieth, Subban is the best defenceman on the team. Its a total joke that he is sitting while they run out the likes of Vlasic, Jay ****ing Bouwmeester and Pieterangelo. Leaving Hall and Giroux off and taking Chris Kunitz and Nash is more of the same. The coaching and management want to prove how smart they are; can't do the simple thing and take the best players.
This is well said. I always hate it when they want to look smart by taking the non obvious picks. Look at Hall, guy is top ten in PPG last two years in the NHL, first over all pick and is probably the best straight line skater in the NHL. why the hell wouldn't you put him on the big ice? Agree as well with Subban. Boumeester sucks. Giroux should be on the team as well. Take the best players, too much changes too fast any way. When it is on the line you should have your most talented players. Vlasic and Hamhuis are not our most talented players.

Old
02-19-2014, 04:10 PM
DeathbyCheerios

The US is good against teams that sit back and just try and defend. Look what happened with Russia, they had a stronger team and almost lost due to it. Our d men won't let the Americans just walk on in and score, so I don't see them blowing us out.on top of that we have been the best puck possession team so far however the teams we have played essentially a strong 5 man PK all game because of it and it has made it hard to get high quality shots thru. The us doesn't play that way so I see us having more high quality scoring chances.

Old
02-19-2014, 04:11 PM
Halibut

Subban is worse defensively than any of the other d-men that's why he's not out there. We gave up that horrendous breakaway that Latvia scored on that was the main reason the game was so close we dont need players who are more likely to give up chances like that. Latvia shut it down and were hoping for a fluky shootout win to get through or the occasional break in the other direction they got when they were able to chip it out and get it 1 on 1 vs one of our d-men. Thankfully our guys were solid and for the most part handled those plays well, not sure Subban would have done as well or Hall up front. The game where Carter got the hat trick I was more impressed early when he chased a guy back to break up a scoring chance, something I''ve seen Hall give up on far too easily at times.

As for questioning the forwards it's pointless. We so overpowered this team that I dont see what anyone expects from changing out one of our forwards with another. Latvia got a goal from some guy named Lauris Darzins. There isnt a team in the world that would take him over any of the players on our team. Playing armchair GM is ridiculous at this point we have the talent and the players to win, it comes down to the players producing and playing smart patient hockey when they need to.

Old
02-19-2014, 04:12 PM
DeathbyCheerios

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
This is well said. I always hate it when they want to look smart by taking the non obvious picks. Look at Hall, guy is top ten in PPG last two years in the NHL, first over all pick and is probably the best straight line skater in the NHL. why the hell wouldn't you put him on the big ice? Agree as well with Subban. Boumeester sucks. Giroux should be on the team as well. Take the best players, too much changes too fast any way. When it is on the line you should have your most talented players. Vlasic and Hamhuis are not our most talented players.
Could you imagine the top line with Hall Crosby Stamkos? They would be in he goalies face constsntly and as soon as they got the puck they would be having chance after chance

Old
02-19-2014, 04:12 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

I'm beginning to think they need to go with someone other than Mike Babcock in 2018 (if the NHLers go).

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
02-19-2014, 04:15 PM
DeathbyCheerios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
I'm beginning to think they need to go with someone other than Mike Babcock in 2018 (if the NHLers go).
Claude Julien could do it IMO.

Old
02-19-2014, 04:15 PM
PepsiFiend

Quote:
I get that if Canada loses on Friday, but if he wins Gold this year, you can't argue his accomplishments. This is getting a little ridiculous, Canada is undefeated so far, and yes they have struggled to score goals, but it isn't like they are getting outplayed. You would think they never made it out of qualifying round the way people are talking.

Old
02-19-2014, 04:17 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 50
also, can we steal that set play by Latvia?

That was pretty genius by Nolan.

Old
02-19-2014, 04:17 PM
DeathbyCheerios

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFiend View Post
I get that if Canada loses on Friday, but if he wins Gold this year, you can't argue his accomplishments. This is getting a little ridiculous, Canada is undefeated so far, and yes they have struggled to score goals, but it isn't like they are getting outplayed. You would think they never made it out of qualifying round the way people are talking.
I'm glad we haven't been scoring goals early in the tournament rather then later.imo I feel the team is frustrated and will take it out on the US

Old
02-19-2014, 04:19 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathbyCheerios View Post
Could you imagine the top line with Hall Crosby Stamkos? They would be in he goalies face constsntly and as soon as they got the puck they would be having chance after chance

More like they'd be slowly circling around kept on the perimeter. The only play where speed played a factor today was the breakaway Latvia had.

Old
02-19-2014, 04:20 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Babcock has the entire team playing a little too tight right now.

Old
02-19-2014, 04:20 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

They need to find 6 guys up front and play them 22 min a game. Perry - Getzlaf is a given. Put Toews on Crosby's line with a good winger like Sharp or St Louis and just roll with those guys. I don't think its good strategy to have 12 forwards around the 12-16 min mark.

Old
02-19-2014, 04:21 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Total myth that big ice opens the game up. It shuts it down. It turns it into a game more like soccer. You just give the teams the outside and clog up the middle. Smaller ice forces teams to play more wide open.
Bigger ice means longer distances to skate and more time for gap control. It is a myth for sure.

Old
02-19-2014, 04:26 PM
tv14

Aside from Crosby, we lack a true dynamic game breaker. I look at the forwards and I see too much similarity Carter, Perry, Getzlaf, Toews, Nash, Marleau, Benn, Bergeron, Kunitz. There is just no diversity in that group. All play the same type of grind/size/physical style of offence that seems to not work on big ice.

I still however think this team can win. We play to the level of the opponent so I expect us to play very well against the Americans. Id run these lines:

Duchene-Crosby-St Louis
Sharp-Toews-Nash
Marleau-Getzlaf-Perry
Benn-Bergeron-Kunitz

Duchene/Crosby/MSL gives us the best shot at having a true skilled, dynamic, game breaking line.

Old
OilDrop37

vCash: 10185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed to Ruin View Post
They need to find 6 guys up front and play them 22 min a game. Perry - Getzlaf is a given. Put Toews on Crosby's line with a good winger like Sharp or St Louis and just roll with those guys. I don't think its good strategy to have 12 forwards around the 12-16 min mark.
What has Crosby done to warrant more ice time? I'd put him with Kunitz and Marleau, call them the 4th line and cut their minutes.

Old
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed to Ruin View Post
I really don't agree with putting Toews on Crosby's line. Seems like a waste.

Old
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob Fail View Post
Bigger ice means longer distances to skate and more time for gap control. It is a myth for sure.

Exactly and that's why defensive hockey is king in the Olympics on big ice. The only time the game opens up is when someone gets behind and is desperate to score, even then some teams are happy to only lose by 1.

Old
02-19-2014, 04:37 PM
doulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
What has Crosby done to warrant more ice time? I'd put him with Kunitz and Marleau, call them the 4th line and cut their minutes.
You mean aside from being one of the best players on the ice today?

Old
02-19-2014, 04:39 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Really feel bad for the Russians. The coaching and team selection were worse with this group than they are with Canada right now.

Old
02-19-2014, 04:42 PM
SephF
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
Crosby was great today

Old
02-19-2014, 04:46 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Really feel bad for the Russians. The coaching and team selection were worse with this group than they are with Canada right now.
Same with the Czechs, imo.

Old
02-19-2014, 04:49 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
Same with the Czechs, imo.
Worse for the Russians because they're playing at home. If Canada had lost in the QFs in 2010 it would have been a disaster, which is what the Russians are going through right now.

Closed Thread