HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sochi Hockey Thread (All Olympic Hockey Talk Here)

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2014, 06:15 PM
Dabomb

vCash: 500
Man I hate that I can't watch any of these games Live. Gonna have to PVR Friday's game against USA and stay away from all hockey boards, FB, and Twitter. Gonna be hard to do.

Old
02-19-2014, 06:16 PM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Really feel bad for the Russians. The coaching and team selection were worse with this group than they are with Canada right now.
I don't really understand why people bring up player selection as an excuse for Russia. On forward, who exactly was left off? Yakupov or Kucherov (both 20 year olds) in a bottom role? there's nobody else who's notable in the NHL.

Goaltending had NHLers as the 1-2, third stringer is irrelevant.

So that leaves defence. Decent NHL guys left off are Vochenkov, Gonchar, and Kulikov. Do people really think they would have been the upgrades to make the difference?

So that leaves KHL players. Who should have been taken instead? I know nothing about them.

Old
02-19-2014, 06:35 PM
topchowda

I think Americans play better against the trap then we do, which is why they are winning quite handily

But on Friday both teams will be playing North American style hockey on big ice. In this type of battle I prefer the Canadians.

But we absolutely 100% have to play Duchene/MSL and Subban. Nash and Kunitz need to grab some pine asap.

Hopefully this Lativia game woke them up.

Old
02-19-2014, 06:40 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuds View Post
I don't really understand why people bring up player selection as an excuse for Russia. On forward, who exactly was left off? Yakupov or Kucherov (both 20 year olds) in a bottom role? there's nobody else who's notable in the NHL.

Goaltending had NHLers as the 1-2, third stringer is irrelevant.

So that leaves defence. Decent NHL guys left off are Vochenkov, Gonchar, and Kulikov. Do people really think they would have been the upgrades to make the difference?

So that leaves KHL players. Who should have been taken instead? I know nothing about them.
Is that a serious question? Because if you've watched the Oilers and their "defense" you should know the answer to "Hey would these better guys have made a difference"

Old
02-19-2014, 06:40 PM
LTIR

vCash: 300
Hemsky done, Belov done, Marincin done ...

CAN vs USA

SWE vs FIN

wonder which is the bigger rivalry..

Last edited by LTIR: 02-19-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old
02-19-2014, 06:46 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
Hemsky done, Belov done, Marincin done ...
What a prospect. Lose out early in Russia, spend a pensive week awaiting fate, then off to the gulag in Edmonton for much more toil and misery.

I like Belov a lot but wonder if he even comes back.

Idiot was making him a HS in games prior to the Olympics. Good ol Eakins for deft player management. Quick, somebody tell me where Yakupov is..

Old
02-19-2014, 06:59 PM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Is that a serious question? Because if you've watched the Oilers and their "defense" you should know the answer to "Hey would these better guys have made a difference"
How about actually telling me who you'd slot in for who and why. Was Belov not highly regarded in the KHL last year? Here's their lineup from today's game:

79 Andrei Markov
26 Vyacheslav Voinov
82 Yevgeniy Medvedev
74 Alexei Yemelin
6 Nikita Nikitin
77 Anton Belov
51 Fyodor Tyutin

My understanding of the guys left off:

Gonchar - they already have an old, offensive d-man in Markov.
Volchenkov - I don't know where he's at, but hasn't he regressed in recent years to the point of being in amnesty clause talks? My understanding of him is that he is an immobile, defensive d-man
Kulikov - No idea what this guy is about

Old
02-19-2014, 07:16 PM
Toydarian

I don't know how people are criticizing CAN's defense considering they have dominated opponents so far. I understand the dislike for Kunitz and Nash over Hall and Giroux (I don't like them either). But saying Bouwmeester and Vlasic are a problem? Really? This team has allowed 3GA in 4 games (granted against lesser teams).

Old
02-19-2014, 07:30 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
I don't know how people are criticizing CAN's defense considering they have dominated opponents so far. I understand the dislike for Kunitz and Nash over Hall and Giroux (I don't like them either). But saying Bouwmeester and Vlasic are a problem? Really? This team has allowed 3GA in 4 games (granted against lesser teams).
Even against the Finnish team Team Canada only allowed 15 shots after OT, and 8 of those were in the first.

Old
02-19-2014, 07:46 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 50
Hey, we all know what happened to Russia.

Belov lost the tournament.

For the Czechs, Hemsky lost the tournament.

For the Slovaks, Marincin lost the tournament.

Clearly, the losing mentality spread like a fever throughout those teams.

Old
02-19-2014, 07:52 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The states needed a non goal call from god and shoot out wizardry to avoid losing to the Russians who the Finns played with today.

explain how this makes the US the clear favorites.

US caught a tired Czechs team that had been in an out and out failboat collapse since going ahead 4-0 against Slovakia. Czechs never really played well in this tourney.

edit oh, phil steve thinks like I do and already posted this. lol identical posts.
Well hopefully we didnt catch a tired Latvian team today

Old
02-19-2014, 09:16 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
I think Americans play better against the trap then we do, which is why they are winning quite handily
I like the fact that they regroup and pass the puck back once in a while in the neutral zone. Team Canada never seems to take a backwards stride and they are predictable for that reason.

When the other team is backing in they are matching the tempo of the play somewhat, I'd like to see team Canada's forwards stop short of the blueline and pass it back to a d-man in full stride once in a while.

Old
02-19-2014, 09:20 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
I like the fact that they regroup and pass the puck back once in a while in the neutral zone. Team Canada never seems to take a backwards stride and they are predictable for that reason.

When the other team is backing in they are matching the tempo of the play somewhat, I'd like to see team Canada's forwards stop short of the blueline and pass it back to a d-man in full stride once in a while.
The American D move the puck so well. They've used the big ice to that advantage too by dumping it cross ice constantly. Especially Fowler and Carlson.

Old
02-19-2014, 09:59 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuds View Post
How about actually telling me who you'd slot in for who and why. Was Belov not highly regarded in the KHL last year? Here's their lineup from today's game:

79 Andrei Markov
26 Vyacheslav Voinov
82 Yevgeniy Medvedev
74 Alexei Yemelin
6 Nikita Nikitin
77 Anton Belov
51 Fyodor Tyutin

My understanding of the guys left off:

Gonchar - they already have an old, offensive d-man in Markov.
Volchenkov - I don't know where he's at, but hasn't he regressed in recent years to the point of being in amnesty clause talks? My understanding of him is that he is an immobile, defensive d-man
Kulikov - No idea what this guy is about
Medvedev was a horrible selection. The guy was responsible for a lot of GA in the tournament.

And now there's this:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...-alex-ovechkin

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
02-19-2014, 10:17 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
the americans havent played a trap team yet, thats why they have looked so good, they barely beat the russians who got rolled by a team Finland that we rolled. I am fully confident we win a 5-3 5-4 game on friday them spank the swedes like our step children on sunday
I completely agree with this. IMO, it's impossible to compare the performances of the Canadians and Americans because they haven't played a single game against the same team in the tournament. There wasn't a trapping or collapsing team in the Americans pool and they sure didn't get that type of game from the Czechs. Those types of teams were in Canada's and Sweden's pools. This game will be played like an NHL game and Canada's lineup is superior to the Americans. The Price versus Quick match up makes me nervous but our forwards and especially defensemen are so much better that I think we'll win by at least two goals.

Old
02-19-2014, 10:21 PM
Soundwave

The thing about Canada that worries me is the forwards start to grip their sticks awfully tight if they're not getting the bounces. Hopefully that isn't the case versus the USA.

Old
02-19-2014, 10:25 PM
Philly85
Raps'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
Man I hate that I can't watch any of these games Live. Gonna have to PVR Friday's game against USA and stay away from all hockey boards, FB, and Twitter. Gonna be hard to do.
Me 2, doing the same thing, I'm holding you to it!

Old
02-19-2014, 10:41 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

I'm glad Hemsky showed well.

Good learning experience for Marincin, and Belov had his moments, both good and bad. He's clearly one of our top 6, wish Eakins realized it.

Old
02-20-2014, 09:41 AM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Total myth that big ice opens the game up. It shuts it down. It turns it into a game more like soccer. You just give the teams the outside and clog up the middle. Smaller ice forces teams to play more wide open.
Rubbish. That only applies to teams unfamiliar with the wider rinks. Teams with very few NHLrs didn't have that problem.

Of course teams with plenty of NHLrs have a ton of talent and still win.

Old
02-20-2014, 10:27 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
i expect the first 10 minutes of tomorrows game to be pretty cautious with both teams trying to get a feel for what the other is going to do. after that the game will open up and it will be an nhl style game on the big rink. The US forwards like to fly the zone early and attempt odd man rushes. Canada hasnt played a team yet that has a quick breakout, mostly because the defensive team is playing 5 guys within a stick length of the slot. this game will look completely different from Canadas other 4, it will be fun to watch and we will see the elite skill of both teams shine.

Old
02-20-2014, 10:40 AM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
I'm glad Hemsky showed well.

Good learning experience for Marincin, and Belov had his moments, both good and bad. He's clearly one of our top 6, wish Eakins realized it.
I agree.

Both of those guys were thrown into volatile situations in important games. They're both now better for it. Marincin has been another bright light in this dark, dark season for the Oilers. Hope that he comes back with some enthusiasm.

I'd give Belov another kick at the can as well. It couldn't hurt. He'd be our Corey Potter next year.

Old
02-20-2014, 11:09 AM
Dabomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Me 2, doing the same thing, I'm holding you to it!
Oh I'm sure I'll be able to avoid all social and media sites/radio/etc... but the tougher part might be trying to go through the whole day without hearing anyone talk about the game. Just have a feeling someone is gonna spoil it for me.

Good luck to you

Old
02-20-2014, 12:11 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Not good news for Tavares or the future of the Olympics with him now being done for the year.

Old
02-20-2014, 12:16 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Not good news for Tavares or the future of the Olympics with him now being done for the year.
Gotta say it but as long as either Canada or the US win it increases the chances that NHL will continue to go to the Olympics. NHL, and NHLPA, will be less interested and probably not going to Korea without a result here.

Kind of sick and like if I don't win I'm taking the ball home but its the way I see it.

One injury isn't going to stop it but lack of success could.

If Canadian players really come away from this with a bad feeling I wonder about a next one.

Old
02-20-2014, 12:32 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I'm going to say 4-2 Canada.

I don't think the US has had to play the trap/collapse teams in the way Canada did; whether or not that works in their favour, I'm not sure.

The longer the game is tight/scoreless, I'd guess the more the Canadians start to clutch their sticks too tightly.

If Canada scores fairly early on, especially if it's a forward, I can see this opening up and having a similar result to the 2002 win.

Closed Thread