HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sochi Hockey Thread (All Olympic Hockey Talk Here)

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2014, 05:25 PM
CB420

vCash: 500
I wanna see Yakupov take it personally that he was likely snubbed by Nichushkin. I wanna see him play like he took that decision personally.

Old
01-07-2014, 05:40 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlimasLoveChild View Post
You said the Rw is very weak without Stamkos....still not seeing your point. The alternatives you listed are some of the best players in the world. Stanley cup champions, olympic champions, 40+ goal scorers.... don't see how that is weak?
weak in canada means you only get 85pts instead of 100, in canada you are weak but overall you are still the best

Old
01-07-2014, 05:42 PM
sVpph
Tron Funkin Blow

vCash: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
There is only one thing I know for sure and it's that Steve Y is not a public speaker.
Can you really blame him though? I'm sure even Martin Luther King Jr would stumble a bit if he was feeling the pressure Stevie Y was feeling.

Old
01-07-2014, 05:50 PM
vespa99

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB420 View Post
I wanna see Yakupov take it personally that he was likely snubbed by Nichushkin. I wanna see him play like he took that decision personally.
He was not snubbed. He should not even have been in the conversation to make the team.

Old
01-07-2014, 05:53 PM
missinthejets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulleroinen View Post
Their chances are about even. In my opinion, Finland is more likely to get a medal than Canada. They don't have a single medal when playing best on best olympics with international rink size.
Well except for 2002, yeah it was in the states but it was big ice there. Another way to look at it is that Canada has won 2 of the last 4 Olympics and 3 of the last 5 best on best tournaments if you include the world cup they did in 04. 3 of the last 4 if we want to get even more.
Canada learned a lot of lessons from 1998 and 2006. We can debate things all we want but looking at the roster I don't think they are going to get outskated this time at very least.

Old
01-07-2014, 05:55 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB420 View Post
Yakupovs game is a disaster right now he had zero chance of making the team IMO.

Old
01-07-2014, 06:03 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
lol wat?

Finland has Goaltending.... that's as far as their "elite"ness is.

Canada beats them in both Forward skill and depth, as well as defensive skill and depth.
If you don't have goaltending it doesn't matter. That's why the USA was one goal away from gold last time.

Old
01-07-2014, 06:04 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
weak in canada means you only get 85pts instead of 100, in canada you are weak but overall you are still the best
The actual comment that was made is that they were weak on RW with Stamkos and very weak without him. I'm thinking the guy is an upset Eberle fan boy

Old
01-07-2014, 06:30 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Nichushkin is a beast in the making. It's not hard to see why he was selected.

Yak is being Yo-yoed by a rookie coach on an uber crappy team. No surprise Yak wasn't selected.

Old
01-07-2014, 06:44 PM
EgoEakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
well hopefully in 2018, Team Canada will be big on chemistry again and put all RNH, Hall, and Eberle on the roster

Speaking of 2018, the Oilers could 'potentially' have quite a few Olympians then.
I wouldn't be surprised, if we do not participate in the 2018 games..

If the NHL 'Bettman" agrees to bring back the World Cup of Hockey in 2016, it is highly unlikely they will stop play for the 2018 Olympic Winter Games.
In a country that has no vested interest in the game, and the time zone difference, is detrimental to broadcast revenue.

Bettman favours the World Cup of Hockey, over Olympic participation..

Old
01-07-2014, 06:49 PM
jbean

The Olympics must give the NHL substantially more exposure than the World Cup of Hockey. The Olympics will draw fans across the world whereas the World Cup will mainly be followed by NHL fans and a few northern European countries.

Old
01-07-2014, 06:52 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

I don't see 2018 generating a ton of interest. Korea doesn't care about hockey and the broadcast schedule in North America is going to be absolutely horrible.

Old
01-07-2014, 06:59 PM
Tommy35

"Ahh Mr. Lowe u never cease to suprise, now by choosing Subban, did u at least contact him and told him that slew footing and having a disrespectful Ego is not permisable in International Hockey U screwed up the Oliers long enough now your taking your show internatioanally ., amazing"

Old
01-07-2014, 07:06 PM
Shizuka

Wasn't it Igor Kravchuk who said something about Yakupov needing to learn how to play the game properly (paraphrasing of course)? And isn't he in some sort of management role with the Olympic side for Russia? Oops, here it is:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/10/1...d-nail-yakupov

Obviously someone who brings an understanding from an outsider's perspective. I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up more -- even he acknowledges the need for Yakupov to change it up. I still see him overhandling the puck far too much and refusing to pass at times, trying to stickhandle through the entire team. Very valid and salient points, and the kid does need to listen. Stubborn, stubborn...

But sorry, this was about Canada's team.

Old
01-07-2014, 08:18 PM
Saskatoon Oiler

Overall I'm happy with this team and Canadians should be confident in their ability to deliver a Gold Medal performance.

Old
01-07-2014, 08:35 PM
EgoEakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbean View Post
The Olympics must give the NHL substantially more exposure than the World Cup of Hockey. The Olympics will draw fans across the world whereas the World Cup will mainly be followed by NHL fans and a few northern European countries.
When exposure equates to dollars...

Old
01-07-2014, 08:39 PM
Oi'll say!

Bergeron was terrible at the last Olympics, it was a complete gongshow in Canada's end of the ice every time he went out there vs USA.

I don't care how well he has been doing in the nhl since then, this announcement scares the hell out of me.

Old
01-07-2014, 08:57 PM
4th_Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
Bergeron was terrible at the last Olympics, it was a complete gongshow in Canada's end of the ice every time he went out there vs USA.

I don't care how well he has been doing in the nhl since then, this announcement scares the hell out of me.
yeah but again, then you look at just how subpar the other teams are this year, it just doesn't matter any more.

Old
01-07-2014, 08:59 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th_Liner View Post
yeah but again, then you look at just how subpar the other teams are this year, it just doesn't matter any more.
That's stupid rationalizing for a stupid decision by HC. Just because other teams are "subpar" doesn't absolve a subpar selection by HC.

Old
01-07-2014, 09:07 PM
4th_Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
That's stupid rationalizing for a stupid decision by HC. Just because other teams are "subpar" doesn't absolve a subpar selection by HC.
u r right, anything that you don't agree with or understand is stupid.

Old
01-07-2014, 09:07 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Even Russia and USA? I didn't see their rosters yet.

Old
01-07-2014, 09:13 PM
4th_Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
Even Russia and USA? I didn't see their rosters yet.
i feel the competition is very dissapointing this year. russia doesn't even have enough to round off an elite top 6, and belov made their defense.
usa is onpar with their past squad, which actually put them as a favorite this year.
sweden has alfredson as its top 6.
finland, czech, slovakia are all made of has-beens.

takes away a lot of excitement for me.

Old
01-07-2014, 09:19 PM
Philly85
Moody'

I think the only 2 "stacked" teams top to bottom are Sweden and Canada, and even these two teams have a few questionable/sub par additions. Finland, Slovakia & Czech Republic will all be underdogs with decent skill and guys with experience on big ice. USA has great goaltending and all around solid team guys. Russia has an abundance of skill and home ice advantage. Canada and Sweden have excellent forward crops with very good defence and questionable goaltending. It will all sort itself out, every team has it's questions marks, some more than others.

The only real strange addition to TC were those of Rick Nash and Marleau IMO. Real head scratchers.

Old
01-07-2014, 09:25 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
i feel the competition is very dissapointing this year. russia doesn't even have enough to round off an elite top 6, and belov made their defense.
usa is onpar with their past squad, which actually put them as a favorite this year.
sweden has alfredson as its top 6.
finland, czech, slovakia are all made of has-beens.

takes away a lot of excitement for me.
I can't believe 3 Oilers made the Olympics, lmao. And not even 3 of the "best" ones.

I actually like team Canada's roster quite a bit. There's an insane amount of firepower there, some elite players with proven chemistry (Getzlaf-Perry, Toews-Sharp), some elite shutdown d-men with well-rounded offensive games, some elite puck-moving d, the best player in the world...

I know some people want Team Canada to go out on a limb with some players with shorter resumes (or at least with Hall) but I think they picked the right forwards with the exception of Bergeron.

It's a formidable roster to say the least. I still consider Getzlaf as one of the best players on earth and Perry is extremely hard to defend against. I'd fear their line if they were playing against Canada.

Old
01-07-2014, 09:28 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Correct me if I'm wrong... but shouldn't our forward lines look like this?

Kunitz-Crosby-Nash
Stamkos-Tavares-Carter
Duchene-Getslaf-Perry
Sharp-Towes-Bergeron

I don't think that Kuntiz belongs here but he's on the team because he's got chemistry playing with Crosby.
Tavares centers a the most potent natural scoring line.

Getzlaf and Perry will be expected to get their noses dirty while Duchene's speed and skills should open up a lot of chances.

Toews line should see lots of PK minutes and be expected to play as a shutdown line.

Closed Thread