HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Congratulations to John Tavares - 2014 Canadian Olympic Team

Old
01-07-2014, 05:39 PM
Knish Of The Crease

vCash: 500
@EricFrancis: Yzerman: "We told (Tavares) last night he had to get five points last night or he was off the team and fortunately he did that."

Knish Of The Crease is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 05:39 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
I'm pretty sure in Juniors (def. London) you can not have a high number. So JT took 61 when he was traded there.

World juniors I think its similar hence the 19 and 20 numbers.

Why would Stamkos have seniority over JT? He's never played in the olympics either.
NHL seniority. JT knows his place, I don't think it really matters to him all that much actually. This is a dream come true for him, he only sees the Maple Leaf on the front of the jersey. We consider him our golden boy for a reason, he's not going to make a stink about his number.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 05:42 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ MAC View Post
@EricFrancis: Yzerman: "We told (Tavares) last night he had to get five points last night or he was off the team and fortunately he did that."
Yzerman is under siege today, good to see him add a little bit of humor. You just know it broke his heart to not select St. Louis. Stamkos looked like he was the one who didn't make the team when talking about it.

Old
01-07-2014, 05:47 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwjunior View Post
yzerman is under siege today, good to see him add a little bit of humor. You just know it broke his heart to not select st. Louis. Stamkos looked like he was the one who didn't make the team when talking about it.
lol!

01-07-2014, 05:49 PM
13th Floor

JT is happy he was selected.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 06:47 PM
Strome18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Yzerman is under siege today, good to see him add a little bit of humor. You just know it broke his heart to not select St. Louis. Stamkos looked like he was the one who didn't make the team when talking about it.
How can they leave Giroux off the Canadian team? It is as bad or worse than Okposo off the US team. I am going to root for Belarus!

Strome18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 09:32 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
Anybody want to discuss where JT plays with Canada? Most mock lineups I've seen (pre-selection) had him at 4th line C. I don't see him on the 4th line (Patrice Bergeron should be 4th line C). Just some thoughts:

If Stamkos plays, put JT on LW with Crosby and Stamkos. If no Stamkos, JT could play RW with Crosby and Kunitz. I think these 1st line options are less likely though.

More likely, JT could play RW with Toews and Sharp.

Or JT could play LW with Getzlaf and Perry.

Of course, maybe the coaches decide that someone else switches position and JT plays his natural C, but I think his game (and intelligence) would translate okay on the wing, especially on the big ice.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 09:54 PM
MarginallyTalented

I can't believe that all the mock lines I've seen so far have JT at 4th line center. The guy should be getting top 6 minutes either with Kunitz and Crosby, Toews and Sharp or Perry and Getzlaf (depending on which is the 2nd and 3rd line). JT will excel with whoever he plays with may it be at center or wing.

MarginallyTalented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 10:00 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Last 5 games for JT: 14 points

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 10:06 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Video of JT calling his parents about making Team Canada:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...d=nhl:topheads

Old
01-07-2014, 10:11 PM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
Congrats to JT! Now he has a chance to actually win something!

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 10:34 PM
IslesArchieFan
Oh Cptn, My Cptn

Is it acceptable to buy a Tavares Olympic Jersey? JT on Team Canada is throwing my allegiances in a blender.

PS Thank You team USA for not selecting KO, you just saved me $200.

IslesArchieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 11:11 PM
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade

Cool video of Tavares calling his parents and telling him he was selected.
http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...31496&catid=35
This is going to be part of the NHL Revealed series on NBCSN going to be cool to see him get followed through the stadium game then to the Olympics

EDIT:Sorry, didn't see PW post this already.

nyiguy21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 11:54 PM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
Anybody want to discuss where JT plays with Canada? Most mock lineups I've seen (pre-selection) had him at 4th line C. I don't see him on the 4th line (Patrice Bergeron should be 4th line C). Just some thoughts:

If Stamkos plays, put JT on LW with Crosby and Stamkos. If no Stamkos, JT could play RW with Crosby and Kunitz. I think these 1st line options are less likely though.

Of course, maybe the coaches decide that someone else switches position and JT plays his natural C, but I think his game (and intelligence) would translate okay on the wing, especially on the big ice.
I like that idea you have about JT with Getzlaf and Perry. I wouldn't want to be on D against that trio.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 12:51 AM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post

Wouldn't read much into lines just yet. Tavares has played wing before in the WC and I also heard on TSN talk of JT at centre with Getz moving to the wing and Perry on the other.

It won't matter, he'll be surrounded by incredible talents and talented dmen. His game is so advanced, his vision outstanding, he'll be in heaven out there.

redbull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 08:58 AM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

I believe this is from the 2008 WJC, it's on tsn.ca's home page today. And this is when the "rebuild" started.

But look at these two children. Amazing to see how much they've matured, how much bigger/stronger/faster/richer these guys have become.

For those still hungover from the winning streak, it's Steven Stamkos on the left and our very own John Tavares on the right. And those are GOLD medals.

Old
01-08-2014, 10:03 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Wouldn't read much into lines just yet. Tavares has played wing before in the WC and I also heard on TSN talk of JT at centre with Getz moving to the wing and Perry on the other.

It won't matter, he'll be surrounded by incredible talents and talented dmen. His game is so advanced, his vision outstanding, he'll be in heaven out there.
I think Canada envisions Tavares anchoring the secondary scoring line with heavy usage in offensive zone starts. Aside from Crosby, Tavares is the most complete offensive catalyst on the team from the pivot and can pretty much play with anyone.

I would love to see a Tavares-Crosby-Stamkos super line though. I think Canada Cup Lemieux-Gretzky-Hull type of domination is a possibility.

Old
01-08-2014, 10:19 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:

2 things I took from that video.

1- the team got in at 4 in the morning and Johnny looks dead tired(still had 3ptslater)

2- Tavares " hey mom I just got some good news. Got off the phone with Peter chirelli from the Bruins"
Mom Tavares" omg you got traded to Boston! That's great Johnny!"lmao.

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 10:24 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesArchieFan View Post
Is it acceptable to buy a Tavares Olympic Jersey? JT on Team Canada is throwing my allegiances in a blender.

PS Thank You team USA for not selecting KO, you just saved me $200.
I was all ready to get my KO USA jersey. Ill just have to wait until 2018 the. I will have a choice between okposo and Nelson. Lol

As much as I love Johnny I could never wear a team Canada jersey. Just can't. Not when it comes to country.USA all the way!!!

Old
01-08-2014, 11:18 AM
TommytheCat

Great to see JT smiling and not that look of frustration from when we tanking, congrats to our captain!!!

TommytheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 12:08 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
Quote:

That thought actually crossed my mind and was the motivation behind my "maybe someone else gets switched and JT plays center" comment. JT at C with Getzlaf on LW and Perry on RW would be a ridiculous line, and chemistry-wise it would be somewhat consistent with JT's current line (JT @ C between two RH shots).

And that would leave perhaps Sharp-Toews as 2/3 of the 3rd line - those two would be effective 3rd line players in this kind of tournament.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 12:25 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:

Loved the video. Kinda gave me chills because it must be an awesome feeling getting a call like that.

Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 01:10 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
Loved the video. Kinda gave me chills because it must be an awesome feeling getting a call like that.
Excuse me for asking, are you an Olympian?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
2- Tavares " hey mom I just got some good news. Got off the phone with Peter chirelli from the Bruins"
Mom Tavares" omg you got traded to Boston! That's great Johnny!"lmao.

Quote:
I was all ready to get my KO USA jersey. Ill just have to wait until 2018 the. I will have a choice between okposo and Nelson. Lol
As much as I love Johnny I could never wear a team Canada jersey. Just can't. Not when it comes to country.USA all the way!!!
I suspect you'd feel differently if you were born in Canada

Okposo has got to be on that team. Dustin Brown should show some leadership and he should bow down gracefully. Could happen. Didn't Oshie suffer a knee on knee injury yesterday in a collision with Hall?

Old
01-08-2014, 01:52 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Excuse me for asking, are you an Olympian?

I suspect you'd feel differently if you were born in Canada

Okposo has got to be on that team. Dustin Brown should show some leadership and he should bow down gracefully. Could happen. Didn't Oshie suffer a knee on knee injury yesterday in a collision with Hall?
If I were born in Canada I would hav a maple leaf with Johnny's portrait tattoed on my chest

Old
01-08-2014, 01:59 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
If I were born in Canada I would hav a maple leaf with Johnny's portrait tattoed on my chest
Would you be one of those guys offering Jake Gardiner and a second rounder to the NYI for Tavares on the main board? Because Toronto deserves Tavares (and Stamkos) so that's where they should be traded.