HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

What team is better on paper Sweden or USA?

View Poll Results: Who is better Team Sweden or Team USA
Sweden is the better team 135 68.88%
USA is the better team 61 31.12%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-07-2014, 02:51 PM
LandofLincoln

vCash: 500
What team is better on paper Sweden or USA?

Sweden
Forwards: Daniel Alfredsson, Nicklas Backstrom, Patrick Berglund, Jimmie Ericsson, Loui Eriksson, Johan Franzen, Carl Hagelin, Marcus Kruger, Gabriel Landeskog, Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin, Jakob Silfverberg, Alexander Steen, Henrik Zetterberg.

Defencemen: Alexander Edler, Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Jonathan Ericsson, Niklas Hjalmarsson, Erik Karlsson, Niklas Kronwall, Johnny Oduya, Henrik Tallinder.

Goaltenders: Jhonas Enroth, Jonas Gustavsson, Henrik Lundqvist.

USA
Forwards: David Backes, Dustin Brown, Ryan Callahan, Patrick Kane, Ryan Kesler, Phil Kessel, T.J. Oshie, Max Pacioretty, Zach Parise, Joe Pavelski, Paul Stastny, Derek Stepan, James van Riemsdyk and Blake Wheeler.

Defencemen: John Carlson, Justin Faulk, Cam Fowler, Paul Martin, Ryan McDonagh, Brooks Orpik, Kevin Shattenkirk and Ryan Suter.

Goaltenders: Jimmy Howard, Jonathan Quick and Ryan Miller.

LandofLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 02:55 PM
CertainAffinity*

They're pretty much dead even. I give the tie-breaker to Sweden based on the big ice.

CertainAffinity* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 02:56 PM
LiveeviL
No unique points

Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Sweden's D-men decides in favour of Sweden.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 03:00 PM
Stopsight

Comes down to which goaltender shows up, Miller and Quick are having better years but with better defence maybe the king turns it around.

Stopsight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 03:04 PM
LandofLincoln

Sweden's defense and also goaltending.

Sweden may have better star forwards, but the US depth at forward exceeds Sweden.

I want to see the US play Sweden it would be a great game.

I'm not feeling the Canada v USA to be competitive like the last Olympics. The Canadian roster has so much more strength. Sometimes super star talent doesn't always have chemistry. I guess that is what I am hoping for to give the US better odds.

Old
01-07-2014, 03:45 PM
Machinehead
Get Well Gordie

The way Lundqvist is playing, goaltending swings it towards the USA.

"It's Mario Götze!" -Ian Darke
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 03:55 PM
Nocashstyle

I'm surprised at all of the love for Sweden. They have higher top-end talent but they don't have the same depth as the US. I suppose the larger ice surface also favors Sweden.

Maybe I'm just being a homer.

Nocashstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 03:59 PM
Uncle Rotter

Is anyone on the US currently concussed?

Uncle Rotter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 04:02 PM
Machinehead
Get Well Gordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocashstyle View Post
I'm surprised at all of the love for Sweden. They have higher top-end talent but they don't have the same depth as the US. I suppose the larger ice surface also favors Sweden.

Maybe I'm just being a homer.
The big ice is overblown. Young American players get just as much big ice experience playing in college as young Swedish players get playing in the Swedish league.

People are only still talking about it because we sucked on big ice in 2006, with an old and relatively weak roster; none of whom are still on the team.

Old
01-07-2014, 04:23 PM
LandofLincoln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
The way Lundqvist is playing, goaltending swings it towards the USA.
Really wow! I didn't no his game went in the toilet.

Old
01-07-2014, 04:26 PM
22PePe22

Send a message via AIM to 22PePe22
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofLincoln View Post
Really wow! I didn't no his game went in the toilet.
Consistently letting in soft goals this year for some reason. Some poor defense but a good number of shots are just beating him where they haven't in the past.

22PePe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 04:27 PM
CanadienShark

I think Team USA is better. I think Team Sweden has grown somewhat overrated. That said, it's extremely close here.

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 04:27 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

I like Sweden's defense a lot, I'll go with them.

BLASPHEMOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 04:28 PM
tsanuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22PePe22 View Post
Consistently letting in soft goals this year for some reason. Some poor defense but a good number of shots are just beating him where they haven't in the past.
You have to think the pad change has hurt him. But he'll be able to use his old pads if he chooses. Which could be interesting. But it could also be very bad once he comes back if he does make the change.

tsanuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 04:33 PM
Machinehead
Get Well Gordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanuri View Post
You have to think the pad change has hurt him. But he'll be able to use his old pads if he chooses. Which could be interesting. But it could also be very bad once he comes back if he does make the change.
Lundqvist will be taking a huge risk using his big pads at the Olympics.

If he does and he's awesome, and then he comes back to the NHL and sucks again, it'll be a laughing stock.

Old
01-07-2014, 04:35 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:

If he does and he's awesome, and then he comes back to the NHL and sucks again, it'll be a laughing stock.
Tallinder over Larsson? I know Larsson is injured and all but Tallinder is terrible.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 05:13 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:

I don't think he will use the big pads. Isn't he using prototype Bauer pads right now anyway?

I think he's going to want to make the transition as seamless as possible. He would be an idiot to change the size of his pads when he has been using one size pads the entire season. He'd have to readjust to the larger size again.

That said, Sweden>USA on paper.

Sweden has more elite talent up front (Backstrom, Zetterberg, H. Sedin, D. Sedin), players who are having career years (Steen), and two of the best defense men in the world (OEL, Karlsson), including the most offensively gifted defense men (Karlsson). It also helps their bottom two pairings are going to have chemistry from working together on the same team. All of that without Hedman who was absolutely snubbed from the lineup (in fairness, Yandle was snubbed from USA).

Outside of Suter/McDonagh, I'm underwhelmed by the defense men choices for USA. I also think they're very weak compared to Sweden down the middle.

In net, if all goaltenders are at top form, it's pretty much a wash. Quick/Miller can steal a game. Lundqvist can steal a game. That said, with the way Lundqvist has played this year, you have to give the edge to USA. And I say that because of Miller, because Quick himself was nothing special before the injury, he too struggled his first 16 games with a slew of mediocre performances.

Miller is the best goaltender this year between the two teams, based on current performance, and it's not even remotely close.

I give a slight edge to Sweden.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 05:22 PM
Chet Donnelly
HFBoards Sponsor

Can't choose, leaning towards Sweden.

Chet Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 05:35 PM
JimboA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
Tallinder over Larsson? I know Larsson is injured and all but Tallinder is terrible.
Larsson over Brodin/Hedman?

JimboA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 05:56 PM
Love

I think USA has less "holes" as a whole and are being pretty underrated here.

Everyone talks about Sweden's defence and for good reason, but that USA defence is just as good IMO and I like the American forwards more than the Swedish forwards.

Goalies are close, normally I would go with Lundqvist over anyone but he's been pretty average this year while Miller has been awesome.

Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 06:04 PM
Joe Sakic
Goodbye ROR

Have you seen the "defensemen" we're taking to Sochi?

American saying Sweden.

Joe Sakic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 06:10 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofLincoln View Post
Sweden
Forwards: Daniel Alfredsson, Nicklas Backstrom, Patrick Berglund, Jimmie Ericsson, Loui Eriksson, Johan Franzen, Carl Hagelin, Marcus Kruger, Gabriel Landeskog, Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin, Jakob Silfverberg, Alexander Steen, Henrik Zetterberg.

Defencemen: Alexander Edler, Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Jonathan Ericsson, Niklas Hjalmarsson, Erik Karlsson, Niklas Kronwall, Johnny Oduya, Henrik Tallinder.

Goaltenders: Jhonas Enroth, Jonas Gustavsson, Henrik Lundqvist.

USA
Forwards: David Backes, Dustin Brown, Ryan Callahan, Patrick Kane, Ryan Kesler, Phil Kessel, T.J. Oshie, Max Pacioretty, Zach Parise, Joe Pavelski, Paul Stastny, Derek Stepan, James van Riemsdyk and Blake Wheeler.

Defencemen: John Carlson, Justin Faulk, Cam Fowler, Paul Martin, Ryan McDonagh, Brooks Orpik, Kevin Shattenkirk and Ryan Suter.

Goaltenders: Jimmy Howard, Jonathan Quick and Ryan Miller.
Bolded are on pace for 30 goals.

SimplySensational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 06:14 PM
Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFan20 View Post
Have you seen the "defensemen" we're taking to Sochi?

American saying Sweden.
They're pretty good man, maybe Orpik and Martin are slight head scratchers but its certainly a solid core.

Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 06:44 PM
CanadienShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
I don't think he will use the big pads. Isn't he using prototype Bauer pads right now anyway?

I think he's going to want to make the transition as seamless as possible. He would be an idiot to change the size of his pads when he has been using one size pads the entire season. He'd have to readjust to the larger size again.

That said, Sweden>USA on paper.

Sweden has more elite talent up front (Backstrom, Zetterberg, H. Sedin, D. Sedin), players who are having career years (Steen), and two of the best defense men in the world (OEL, Karlsson), including the most offensively gifted defense men (Karlsson). It also helps their bottom two pairings are going to have chemistry from working together on the same team. All of that without Hedman who was absolutely snubbed from the lineup (in fairness, Yandle was snubbed from USA).

Outside of Suter/McDonagh, I'm underwhelmed by the defense men choices for USA. I also think they're very weak compared to Sweden down the middle.

In net, if all goaltenders are at top form, it's pretty much a wash. Quick/Miller can steal a game. Lundqvist can steal a game. That said, with the way Lundqvist has played this year, you have to give the edge to USA. And I say that because of Miller, because Quick himself was nothing special before the injury, he too struggled his first 16 games with a slew of mediocre performances.

Miller is the best goaltender this year between the two teams, based on current performance, and it's not even remotely close.

I give a slight edge to Sweden.
You're underwhelmed by Faulk and Fowler? Sweden might have the top end talent, but there's a massive dropoff in talent after Karlsson and OEL. Kronwall is really the only other one who's on the level of most of the American defenders. Offensively, the US lacks the same top end talent, but is still quite good and has much better depth. They're also better two way players and grittier imo. Goaltending is quite close, but given the way they've played this year, I'd give the US the edge.

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 07:51 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboA View Post
Larsson over Brodin/Hedman?
I didn't even clue into that, Hedman not on the team is a travesty.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote