HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Implications for Pitt?

Closed Thread

Old
08-02-2005, 11:30 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Implications for Pitt?

So, what will happen now for the Pens? I've been proven totally wrong about big stars signing with non-contenders. Does this mean that the Pens are going to start to make moves themselves?

Do PENS fans have any information that might help?

Old
08-02-2005, 11:45 AM
Pens75
Pens Fan Since 1975

Patrick stated he would be very aggressive on Aug 1st.

If you ask me, it seems he is still sleeping at the wheel...

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.p...3&page=1&pp=15

I hope he is putting something together soon.

Old
08-02-2005, 11:48 AM
Sixty Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman
Patrick stated he would be very aggressive on Aug 1st...

If you ask me, it seems he is still sleeping at the wheel.
ESPN mentioned Chelios. Also Kovalev's name keeps popping up, most of us fans want a D-man (like Rafalski now that others have signed). The Pittsburgh Tribune Review also has us talking about Niedermier (sp) and said that Sean Burkes agent contacted us yesterday. Those are just some of the names popping up around here, i hope that helps you a little.

Old
08-02-2005, 11:49 AM
SaintRon

Agreed Wingman. Aucoin should have been a Pen, but it was not to be. Meanwhile, players are signing left and right. The sound coming from the front office, crickets!

God, I wanted Aucoin on the Pens so bad. Looks like it's time to move on to plan B. Nope plan B is gone as well. Plan C,D and E, it is.

Old
08-02-2005, 11:50 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

I wouldn't want to see Aucoin in Pitt, simply because Pitt is a sooooo loaded with great young talent. Get a vet leader or two in that town, and they will be scary.

Old
08-02-2005, 11:51 AM
Luigi Lemieux

now that aucoin and foote are gone, i am hoping cp has been quiet because he is working on reeling in the big fish, Niedermayer. pens have so much cap room left they have to sign someone.

Old
08-02-2005, 11:52 AM
jhopspensfan

Well, one of Aucoin, Foote, Rathje, or Hatcher would have looked real good on our blue line. With that said, Niedermeyer, Rafalski, and Gonchar are still available.

None of the moves thus far have hurt us, except for Philly's moves. I cannot believe the so called Pens fans who are bashing Patrick on the Penguins board. We just won the hockey jackpot, and Mario will be playing for two more years, yet fans are still upset. Craig will jump in and make a splash, everyone just needs to be patient. We have money to spend but we must also be smart. By re-loading up its payroll, Philly may not be able to bid on the likes of Iginla, Chara, Thornton, Pronger, etc. next year, assuming they become unrestricted free agents.

Craig Patrick is as good a GM as anyone in the league. My guess is Kovalev, Domi, and Burke will soon be Penguins. But you never know, maybe Craig pulls a rabbit and lands the "Swedish Duo" or Niedermeyer.

Old
08-02-2005, 11:55 AM
Pens75
Pens Fan Since 1975

If the Pens sign players like Straka and Chelios, they should be forced to give up Crosby and deserve to finish last.

There is no excuse not to sign some good D-men. And as the hours roll past, time is running out.

Old
08-02-2005, 11:55 AM
SaintRon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Metamorphosis
now that aucoin and foote are gone, i am hoping cp has been quiet because he is working on reeling in the big fish, Niedermayer. pens have so much cap room left they have to sign someone.
Fingers crossed DM!

Old
08-02-2005, 11:57 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Or, maybe Patrick is smarter than everbody thinks. He sees the dangers in overspending, and is being patient and cautious. He can afford to do that because he has a team that is chock filled with talented youngsters.

Somehow I suspect that, whatever comes of this, we'll all be looking back and recognizing Patrick's shrewdness.

Old
08-02-2005, 11:58 AM
Pens75
Pens Fan Since 1975

Quote:
I cannot believe the so called Pens fans who are bashing Patrick on the Penguins board.
1) it's not bashing, it's a passionate discussion with a stopwatch attached to it

2) you should do your homework on these "so called Pens fans" before you bash them

Old
08-02-2005, 11:58 AM
SaintRon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
I wouldn't want to see Aucoin in Pitt, simply because Pitt is a sooooo loaded with great young talent. Get a vet leader or two in that town, and they will be scary.
Agreed Darth. That's why I'm shakin my head at the lack of any signings on the Pens part today. I know it's still early, but the players most coveted are going quick. The PENS D is young and a solid vet presence (not named Marc Bergevin) will help out tremendously in their development.

Orpik and Aucoin was my dream.

Unfortuantely CP shat on it about 2 hours ago.

Old
08-02-2005, 12:00 PM
SaintRon

Who's bashing? We're all Pens fans, well most of us, and we just want to see the PENS do what they said they would. "A, B, C and D." A is already here and so far, B, C, and D are still up in the air.

Once (insert quality D man) is signed, all will be well again.

Tick, tock
Tick, tock
Tick, tock

Old
08-02-2005, 12:02 PM
Impossibles

Do pens fans see this as a big push by Lemieux and company to put a good team on the ice, stir up some excitement in the market, and hopefully finally get funding for a new stadium?

I just can't see the pens be really active in the FA market if they expect to be in the igloo for the next few years. I was under the impression that the revenue sharing was based on team spending, so the more the pens spend the less they recieve in return.

Old
08-02-2005, 12:04 PM
Timmy

Quote:
Or, maybe Patrick is smarter than everbody thinks. He sees the dangers in overspending, and is being patient and cautious. He can afford to do that because he has a team that is chock filled with talented youngsters.

Somehow I suspect that, whatever comes of this, we'll all be looking back and recognizing Patrick's shrewdness.

You'll probably see a few GMs doing things, including Nonis and Burke. Yes, the "star" UFAs will be gone, but there will be quality guys still available and scrambling for a chair before the music stops. Teams with only a few holes to fill and lots of room to do it with will be able to pick and choose sub-topflight talent and leave themselves some cap room to make adjustments as the season progresses.

There will be, no doubt, many people screaming for the heads of GMs who employ this wait-and-see attitude, until the dust settles and the fans of those teams that played their cards cautiously will see that their team is in good shape.

Some fans get excited by a big-name signing, fresh faces, different lines, etc.

Personally, I would be happy to see my 'Nucks play this cautiously. The risk of not getting what you want in this offseason is not as great as the risk of putting golden handcuffs on yourself that will affect your team three years out...

Lastly, I think it may seem be a little boring to keep your basic squad together by qualifying your RFAs and not making trades or getting the big signings, but you're more likely to have a better start to the season with players who don't need time to gel and adjust to each other's style.

Old shoes aren't sexy, but they can be very comfortable...

Old
08-02-2005, 12:06 PM
Jeff Goldblum

It has been 24 hours. Don't think that FA's are the only way to fill holes. I have complete faith in Patrick. The man knows what he's doing.

Old
08-02-2005, 12:08 PM
ej_pens

Send a message via AIM to ej_pens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossibles
Do pens fans see this as a big push by Lemieux and company to put a good team on the ice, stir up some excitement in the market, and hopefully finally get funding for a new stadium?

I just can't see the pens be really active in the FA market if they expect to be in the igloo for the next few years. I was under the impression that the revenue sharing was based on team spending, so the more the pens spend the less they recieve in return.
According to all reports from the team and the media, the Pens are expected to be very active in the market this year. They are expected to carry a payroll of around 30-34M, which means they have around 20M to spend on players (that 20M includes a contract for Mario and Crosby, and possibly Malkin)

Old
08-02-2005, 12:17 PM
Pens75
Pens Fan Since 1975

Quote:
According to all reports from the team and the media, the Pens are expected to be very active in the market this year.
Exactly...

http://post-gazette.com/pg/05211/546211.stm

Quote:
Of one thing, he is certain and open: The Penguins will be aggressive when the NHL's newfound free-agent market begins.

"We plan to be aggressive on the first," Patrick said. "We want to come out of here with a team that contends."

"For three years, we've been holding our breath just hoping we could get to the new CBA," Patrick said. "Now we're here."
What bothers me is, all the better UFA D-men are going fast, and this is an area the Pens really need somebody, and that somebody is not freaking Chelios.

Old
08-02-2005, 12:27 PM
fastfeet*

All just average players signed so far noone pens were interested in or should of been interested in...

Old
08-02-2005, 12:44 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bässman085
It has been 24 hours. Don't think that FA's are the only way to fill holes. I have complete faith in Patrick. The man knows what he's doing.
Patrick is one of the smartest GMs out there. I have no idea what Pitt is up to next, but I will not be surprised if Patrick comes out on top in the end.

Old
08-02-2005, 12:44 PM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfeet
All just average players signed so far noone pens were interested in or should of been interested in...
You should just delete that post.

Old
08-02-2005, 12:50 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Quote:
Patrick is one of the smartest GMs out there. I have no idea what Pitt is up to next, but I will not be surprised if Patrick comes out on top in the end.
I agree.

Old
08-02-2005, 12:51 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
I have faith in Patrick...but his patience has bit him in the ass before.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
08-02-2005, 12:58 PM
Til the End of Time

We'll have to wait and see what Patrick does before passing judgement.

But if the Pens make no real signings for the defense, I don't want to hear people saying "Oh but next year the UFA crop will be even better, Pens are being smart and waiting."

Now is this time to sign players.

Old
08-02-2005, 01:00 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful
I have faith in Patrick...but his patience has bit him in the ass before.
Patrick was a victim of $, IMO. Patience and good drafting will win in the end, but it was hard to do that with all the turmoil and with all your assets being taken by big market teams.

Closed Thread