Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kari Lehtonen

Old
01-07-2014, 07:11 PM
aloonda*

vCash: 500
Kari Lehtonen

I did a search for a player discussion on the big Finn. I didn't see one labeled as such, so here goes.

Will playing in the olympics (whether he plays much or not) help settle him down being behind good defenders? I see him just yo yo ing back and forth so much trying to compensate for one bad opening, that he then leaves another open and has to flop around more than usual.

I kind of hope he doesn't play too much so he doesn't blow up his groin, but also am looking at the glass half full to see if this can settle him down some.

Last edited by LatvianTwist: 01-05-2016 at 04:46 AM.
aloonda* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 08:26 PM
Stars99Lobo37

Have said all along that I want him to get the experience while also getting the rest. Glad he gets to go over there for sure.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 10:45 AM
Bluesoma

Sadly Kari will probably be the 3rd string goalie. I'm not sure if Finland plans on doing some sort of rotation or not.

Bluesoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 10:56 AM
Klockis
Our old-man savior

vCash: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesoma View Post
Sadly Kari will probably be the 3rd string goalie. I'm not sure if Finland plans on doing some sort of rotation or not.
Their loss, Stars gain.

Klockis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 02:03 PM
Jorkkila
ChickenCageOfTerror!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klockis View Post
Their loss, Stars gain.
Don't think the Finns will lose that much in terms of playing Rask over Lehtonen, (Dat depth ) but will be good so Lehts gets his rest.

I think Kari will play a game or two, with Rask obviously playing most of the games.

Jorkkila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 02:39 PM
Klockis
Our old-man savior

vCash: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorkkila View Post
Don't think the Finns will lose that much in terms of playing Rask over Lehtonen, (Dat depth ) but will be good so Lehts gets his rest.

I think Kari will play a game or two, with Rask obviously playing most of the games.
Rask is a Swedish name, he should obviously play for team Sweden as the Swede he is.

Pretty please, our goalie depth sucks.

Klockis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 08:40 PM
Jorkkila
ChickenCageOfTerror!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klockis View Post
Rask is a Swedish name, he should obviously play for team Sweden as the Swede he is.

Pretty please, our goalie depth sucks.
Trade for Landeskog
Or maybe OEL + Hedman

We already give up a big headstart to others in terms of dmen and offence, we need our lead in goaltending! The team play and elite tenders are all we got!

Old
01-18-2014, 08:31 PM
aloonda*

sitting in my seats at the aac the last few games----I kept thinking-----

beeeegeeezus why doesnt kari just whack the hell out of that dude sitting right there in the crease----our weenie dmen certainly can't roothog anyone out of there----if they can't kari should start helping them understand to gtfo

get pissed off kari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v9wZF-aQ9U

Old
01-18-2014, 09:35 PM
Troy McClure

I would rather see Kari worry about his positioning when the puck is down low than any guy parked in his crease.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 12:38 AM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloonda View Post
get pissed off kari
Channel his inner Belfour?

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 12:13 AM
aloonda*

read the ken dryden book last summer, one quote in it that hit me was there are

good "good team" goalies

and good "bad team" goalies

when I read that

I immediately went---kari is a good "bad team goalie" he makes incredible saves all the time because he has to, but lets in soft stuff at the worst possible time sometimes

you would think nill is trying to figure out a path to get the organization to move beyond kari at some point---if anything for salary cap and age purposes

thoughts

Old
04-28-2014, 12:38 AM
piqued

vCash: 3722
I am disappointed in Kari.

However, let's not fall into the "he's not a playoff goale" trap. Belfour wasn't a playoff goalie until he won a Cup. How many chances did Turco get? This was essentially his first real playoff series and it was against the highest scoring team in the league.

And once again, despite all the assurances to the contrary, Kari was overworked, more than any other goalie in the league. The same pattern repeated itself. Put all your cards down for the regular season and there'll be none left if you make the playoffs.

Get a real goalie this offseason to help shoulder the load. Not a washed up veteran, not a prospect, not a project. Someone with a track record of stopping pucks who you can reasonably expect to continue to do so next season.

I believe in Kari's talent. But he's got to improve his mental strength, the coaches have to improve their handling of the goaltending situation, and the GM has to improve the depth of the position.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 12:56 AM
aloonda*

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
I am disappointed in Kari.

However, let's not fall into the "he's not a playoff goale" trap. Belfour wasn't a playoff goalie until he won a Cup. How many chances did Turco get? This was essentially his first real playoff series and it was against the highest scoring team in the league.

And once again, despite all the assurances to the contrary, Kari was overworked, more than any other goalie in the league. The same pattern repeated itself. Put all your cards down for the regular season and there'll be none left if you make the playoffs.

Get a real goalie this offseason to help shoulder the load. Not a washed up veteran, not a prospect, not a project. Someone with a track record of stopping pucks who you can reasonably expect to continue to do so next season.

I believe in Kari's talent. But he's got to improve his mental strength, the coaches have to improve their handling of the goaltending situation, and the GM has to improve the depth of the position.

piqued
I believe in him and agree with you.

I just wonder-------what do you think about the dryden quote/thought process about different kind of goalies

it was an incredible passage in his book, really made me think

Old
04-28-2014, 01:22 AM
Dr GLU

Until the D is more reliable, I can't lay the blame totally on Kari, but he did look suspect this series.

Unfortunately, I don't really expect the D to be much more reliable next season. I think a core of Goligoski, Daley, Benn, Dillon, and Nemeth is slightly above average at best, and I just don't see a move out there that can solidify it. So I really expect more of the same.

A real backup could turn the tables some to reduce Kari's workload, and maybe leave him fresh for the playoffs. Still, the weakness on D magnifies every mistake, and I can't see him dragging them all the way through unless that changes.

Dr GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 01:28 AM
RastaRockett

Kari obviously didn't play to a level that we know he is capable of, but he is going to take an unfair amount of heat this offseason. We are lucky to have him between the pipes, and there are a number of teams who would line up to have him on their team. I agree, we need to get him a stronger backup and keep him legs fresh. I'm not sure what he was doing making snow angels at the end , but I really don't care. He's our guy, and a large reason why we were in the playoffs.

RastaRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 01:30 AM
TheGuyFromThere

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
And once again, despite all the assurances to the contrary, Kari was overworked, more than any other goalie in the league.
A thousand times this. Only three goalies played more that 3,700 minutes this regular season, and Kari almost passed 3,800. Of him and the other two (MA Fleury and Antti Niemi), he had the best save percentage. That's before even considering he faced way more shots than his time comparables. I mean, even when he's getting overworked he's having extra work onto that. Numbers are nowhere close to everything, he makes the best of an awful situation, but it'd be nice to see how he does making the most of a good situation.

TheGuyFromThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 01:40 AM
Cold Medicine

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloonda View Post
sitting in my seats at the aac the last few games----I kept thinking-----

beeeegeeezus why doesnt kari just whack the hell out of that dude sitting right there in the crease----our weenie dmen certainly can't roothog anyone out of there----if they can't kari should start helping them understand to gtfo

get pissed off kari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v9wZF-aQ9U
Getting pissed off hasn't always worked out so well for the Stars:

Cold Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 02:03 AM
Pohlow

I don't even know how I feel about him. Like man, he can be spectacular. He has had the save of the year this year and last year.

Besides the playoff clincher against the Blues, when has Kari shown up and been lights out dominant when we absolutely needed him to be?

.885 GAA in this series, and that is when you throw in a shutout. He is someone that, in my head and how I evaluate goalies, will give up a soft goal at the worst times.

But what can we do? He is a top 10 regular season goalie. Those don't come out of nowhere. Maybe Brian Elliot or Jonas Hiller? Who knows.

Disappointed in Kari.

Pohlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 09:26 AM
Modo
MVP

vCash: 138
I hope he's kept around until Campbell is ready to take over. We won't find anyone better out there without giving up more than we want.

04-28-2014, 11:32 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

It didn't help him at all to have such a Swiss cheese defense in front of him. A goalie can only bail his defense out so much- and the defense in turn needs to be able to bail the goalie out from time to time. The last is something I rarely saw with this team over the course of the season.

Too many turnovers & too many breakdowns in their own end leaving Lehtonen as the last line of defense too often.

Stars have got to get him help on defense- whether through the draft, free agency, trades or a combination.

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 11:33 AM
Jorkkila
ChickenCageOfTerror!

Can't really expect to go deep with that defense even with a goalie of Kari's calibre. And I think that his first playoff games were haunting him in the back of his mind. But now that he got a few wins and a better playoff run, it will help him a lot next season!

If we can patch up the defense in the off season, Kari will be even better in the regular/post season

And as mentioned above, he has been overworked yet again.

Old
04-28-2014, 11:48 AM
Dallasman

Bad defense aside, he goes down way to early on some shots and a guy like Getzlaf exposed him on a couple goals in the series.

And his flopping around on the ice last night on the tying goal didn't make me really believe to much in him.

That being said, his contract is solid and he isn't a bad goalie. He just needs to figure it out for next year when it comes to the playoffs and some rest will go a long way for him, that's for sure.

Dallasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 11:53 AM
Starsfan24
Let's Go Cubbies

Losing his stick didn't help, but he definitely could've stayed up a bit on the tying one.

Starsfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 11:55 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr GLU View Post
Unfortunately, I don't really expect the D to be much more reliable next season. I think a core of Goligoski, Daley, Benn, Dillon, and Nemeth is slightly above average at best, and I just don't see a move out there that can solidify it. So I really expect more of the same.
This is the most relevant point in the thread. There's no D in free agency that will put them over the top, I believe Nill will do is best to find a player via trade but those caliber players rarely come available, and therefore they will likely just stall until young guys step up. It's the most conservative approach, but it's also the hardest to swallow.

The one thing they can really do is focus on the forward support. When Dallas was great in the regular season, the forwards were crashing back and picking guys up. Sure a backup is important, and unfortunately we've been saying that for years it seems, but more defensive growing pains could hurt Lehtonen again.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 01:42 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

He didn't have a spectacular second half of the season, and was mediocre in the playoffs.

Now tha teeing said, he only had one defenseman capable of clearing the crease/slot for him. He had several players 'attempt' to block shots that did nothing but hurt how he saw or played the puck.

He's definitely got room for improvement, but he's show that his talent is world class. I'm down on him more than I ever have been, but until he gets good defense in front of him, I'm just not going to give up on him.

Also no options out there to improve the goaltending. He'll be here until Campbell is ready to take over. We do need a solid backup next season though.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote