HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Step Steel/Combination Radius

Old
01-01-2014, 12:28 PM
Buffalo716Sabres

vCash: 500
Step Steel/Combination Radius

Hey,
I am getting replacement steel for my skates and I'm torn between standard Step Steel Which I've used before) or the Step Steel Velocity... is the extra $20 per runner really worth it/going to make a difference in performance from the already high quality of normal step steel?

Also my skate guy happened to be at one of my games and suggested that because of my style of play I should try a combination radius (8/13)... I've never even heard of this... anyone ever use one and what do you think? I rely on my speed to set up plays and get up ice, but do A LOT of cutting and battling on the boards... he says it will give me the speed I need to keep being effective making plays without sacrificing the sharp turns/cuts and stops I need to win puck battles... let me know what's up... and happy new year!

Buffalo716Sabres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 08:57 AM
pelts35.com

I would highly recommend going to www.noicingsports.com to read all about combinations radius and differents sharpenings. There is a wealth of knowledge there.

You can then contact them for a skater information sheet and they can recommend what radius and sharpening you should use.

As for Step Steel, the answer I received from them when I asked was "Steps are a higher blade, good for skaters with aggressive leans whose boots contact the ice in hard turns. The extra height raises the boot. Also one gets longer sharpening life from the blades."

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 10:44 AM
Mattb124

I went from a stock Bauer 9 degree radius to a 9/13 combo with the black whatever steel from No Icing Sports and I am very happy with it. At the same time I went from 1/2" to 100/50 FBV. My glide has improved, but I cannot say if it was the radius or the cut, and I do not feel like I gave up anything in terms of turning.

Mattb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 10:45 PM
Pyrobolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
I would highly recommend going to www.noicingsports.com to read all about combinations radius and differents sharpenings. There is a wealth of knowledge there.

You can then contact them for a skater information sheet and they can recommend what radius and sharpening you should use.

As for Step Steel, the answer I received from them when I asked was "Steps are a higher blade, good for skaters with aggressive leans whose boots contact the ice in hard turns. The extra height raises the boot. Also one gets longer sharpening life from the blades."
Funny you should say that...Every time I go in for a tight turn, my skate catches the ice and I blow a tire.

My buddy keeps telling me to buy step steel blades, instead of the stock blade that comes with the vapor 2.0.

Pyrobolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 11:46 AM
AIREAYE

You can't replace the steel on the 2.0 because it's a one-piece holder/runner. Makes more sense financially to get a better pair of skates if you're running low on steel.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 05:18 PM
n3gkiwi

I just got step steel replaced on my APX's. The steel is great and has great reviews online. Difference between regular step verse velocity verse black versions is just the finish/polish on the steel. It is advertised you will get better glide/retain your edges better with the other two. I think the most it would do is just maintain your edges better. If you're on a budget, I think the regular Step Steel is the way to go. If you do get velocity or black, just make sure whoever sharpens your skates doesn't use a honing stone on them or it can remove the finish on the steel.

As for a profile change it's highly personal. I have heard good things about NoIcing. I believe if you don't like your profile you can ship it back and get it changed free of charge.

Just note Step steel has a little bit more height to it. It also comes with a stock radius of 10 feet if you prefer to try it without profiling. I did not have any problems with the extra height. After a session or two I was use to it...

n3gkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote