HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey Wax (Proformance vs other brands)

Old
11-16-2013, 08:21 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Hockey Wax (Proformance vs other brands)

I've only used Mr. Zog's Sex Wax* once, didn't really notice any difference.

Heard about the Proformance wax, watched a review on it and seems like a pretty intriguing product.

Anyone here apply wax to their stick here?

Does seem like the snow build up causes the blade to be a little too slippery towards the end of the game at times.

Mod Edit * legit surfboard and hockey stick product.

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 11-16-2013 at 08:41 PM. Reason: clarification
Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 02:27 PM
SacredPetra

I wasn't impressed with the Zog's, but I put it on differently this weekend and it worked a lot better. I have no idea how bad this is for your stick, so I'm not necessarily recommending it, but this time I poor a light coat on and then used a lighter to melt it into the tape and had no snow build up and felt like I had better pick control.

Never heard of the Proformance wax so I can't speak on that.

SacredPetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 03:25 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Get a candle.

Lonny Bohonos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 03:31 PM
SCBruCrew4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
I've only used Mr. Zog's Sex Wax* once, didn't really notice any difference.

Heard about the Proformance wax, watched a review on it and seems like a pretty intriguing product.

Anyone here apply wax to their stick here?

Does seem like the snow build up causes the blade to be a little too slippery towards the end of the game at times.

Mod Edit * legit surfboard and hockey stick product.
I believe I saw the same review as you. Jeremy from How To Hockey? The way he explained it, it did seem...revolutionary? lol. I'd be interested in getting some to try it out as well.

SCBruCrew4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 08:20 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I use the Blade Butter. Does it work? I don't know but I use the Blade Butter.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 03:57 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

I tried burning it onto the tape. It's keeping the snow off, but I'm not sure if I'm feeling the tackiness yet. It's not chipping off my stick at the moment too.

Only used it for a game, and I subbed for a terrible team against an insanely stacked team and barely touched the puck.

And yeah, I watched Jeremy's review.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 08:05 AM
kento19
@kento19

vCash: 1014
I love Mr Zogs Sex Wax. I was never able to do the backhand lacrosse scoop but the tackiness of mr. zogs allowed me to pull it off first try. I love how well it handles.

kento19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 09:08 AM
MeltingPlastic

I've used Sticky Bumps cool water wax for over 10 years. I love it. I personally notice a difference if I use that over candle wax etc. for $1.50 a brick at my local surf shop (my parents live on the water so I stop in whenever I visit) I can't complain about price either. Sex Wax and stick wax sell for $$ at my LHS and I don't understand why. Last i saw it was like $7 for it there, yet $2 at the surf shop.. guess they need to make a ton on the markup

MeltingPlastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 10:44 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I've found there are two kinds of waxes, those that are sticky and those that are slick.

Mr Zogs is a sticky wax, and I think the best one of those out there. I've used it off and on for many years. Kind of expensive though and I don't like how it picks up hair and dust and can get all over the inside of my car.

On the other end, there's paraffin and candle wax. About 6-7 years ago I bought a brick of Paraffin wax for about $5 and I'm not even half way through it. It's much harder and is a little slick when you put it on, but if you go light with it or melt it with a heat gun, it seems to work fine.

Right now and for the last year, I've been doing the paraffin thing. I go over the bottom half of the blade lightly and rub it in a bit with my fingers. Seems to help with the snow buildup.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 12:42 PM
Malarowski

Just got a tub of Snap Wax, and ordered the Proformance sampler. Will report back with results. My shot can't get any worse from this, so if there is improvement I can attribute it to this. Never used any wax before.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 01:16 PM
jsykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Mr Zogs ... Kind of expensive though ...
I'm sorry, this just made me chuckle. I dont see how it can be considered expensive, its less than 4 bucks and can last for years. I've had my current one going on three years now, I've been through like 5 or 6 $200+ sticks in the same time. Zog's is hardly one of the bigger expenses in this sport.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 01:27 PM
kento19
@kento19

vCash: 1014
I'm with this guy ^

I go through them much quicker since I cake wax on, but still usually only go through 2 or 3 a year. That's like $10 a season for the best stick wax i've used so far.

You can get good old fashioned "ICE WAX" for a dollar less but it's the same thing as using a candle.

Sex Wax is the way to go. The white one is the one I use.

kento19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 03:24 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

True, it's not a big expense in the grand scheme of things. $30-40 for tape and wax a year. But I haven't even killed a block of the paraffin I bought in '07 I believe. Pina Colada all the way though.

Old
11-18-2013, 03:47 PM
jsykes

Also, dont take it the wrong way, if you have what works for you great, like I said, I just got a chuckle. We discuss $200+ sticks, $800 skates, $150 gloves, etc, so it just struck me funny when someone mentioned a sub $4 item as expensive.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 09:26 PM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
I just saw Jeremy's review too. Ive been using mr. Zoggs but was not completely satisfied since the stickiness didnt last very long. The puddles and bad ice surface on my rink makes it even worse. What US retailers carry the Proformance?

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 12:42 AM
muckbin15
parros16

vCash: 448
http://www.candle4less.com/ProductIm...cs-cs.1674.jpg These

Cheap as hell and work like a charm.

muckbin15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 08:39 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

This is the paraffin wax I use, you can get a pound of it for $3:

Old
11-19-2013, 01:48 PM
Malarowski

Snap Wax worked reasonably well last night. Goes on and is nice and tacky, even when cold. Snow buildup was minimal to nonexistent. I tried to stick a beer bottle to my blade after the game, it held on for 3-4 seconds before falling off (empty! no beer was spilled!). My shot is bad but I noticed a significant improvement on backhand passes and in general I felt more in control.

Proformance is on its way and I will give a quick review on it once it arrives.

Old
11-19-2013, 03:16 PM
LarryO

Isn't paraffin slippery? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of adding grip to the stick tape? Or is it purely to protect the tape and keep snow off of it?

I rub a bit of Ice Wax on the tape because it repels the snow a bit and is sticky enough to add a bit of grip for handling the puck. I also started adding some to the shaft to add a bit of grip because the polar fibre finish, even though it feels great, doesn't provide quite as much grip as I had anticipated.

Last edited by LarryO: 12-04-2013 at 08:24 AM.
LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 10:40 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
True, it's not a big expense in the grand scheme of things. $30-40 for tape and wax a year. But I haven't even killed a block of the paraffin I bought in '07 I believe. Pina Colada all the way though.
I use Tacki Mack attack pads.

No tape to mess around. 1 set last me all season about 25 games.

Old
11-20-2013, 09:54 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I've used Snap Wax as well. It's similar to Mr Zogs, maybe not quite as sticky and thick. Good stuff.

I don't really care about the wax being slippery. If I was caking it on really thick, it would be an issue. I put it on fairly thin so the ridges and texture of the tape are still spinning the puck. Also, if you melt it in, it absorbs into the tape and disappears even more.

Old
11-20-2013, 09:55 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
I use Tacki Mack attack pads.

No tape to mess around. 1 set last me all season about 25 games.
I've tried the Blade Tape version...rubbery puck feel bugged me and I took it off after a few games. I just really missed re-taping I guess

Also briefly used skateboard grip tape...tons of friction but weird puck feel.

Old
11-21-2013, 01:00 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
I've tried the Blade Tape version...rubbery puck feel bugged me and I took it off after a few games. I just really missed re-taping I guess

Also briefly used skateboard grip tape...tons of friction but weird puck feel.
Havent tried blade tape. Though I have seen them and they look cheaper in quality and bulkier than the Tacki Mac.

Great thing about the Tacki Mac is if its cut the rubber and glue are "moldable" so I just manipulate it to cover the cut and make it flat and voila its back in action.

Old
11-21-2013, 04:13 PM
Malarowski

Just got Proformance (the trial size, which is quite large actually) and it smells amazingly. Won't be able to test until Monday though. The PF Max Control is really really sticky though.

Old
11-21-2013, 04:23 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Havent tried blade tape. Though I have seen them and they look cheaper in quality and bulkier than the Tacki Mac.

Great thing about the Tacki Mac is if its cut the rubber and glue are "moldable" so I just manipulate it to cover the cut and make it flat and voila its back in action.
Granted I haven't used the TM stuff, but the Blade Tape definitely seemed thicker. The quality is very good though, on par with TM products I've used. And it's the same way as the TM as you can be squished to cover for any rips. I just don't like the concept either way.

Also really wish that TM made a grip that had just a standard 1" knob at the end. I loved those grips but they were always too thick and the knobs were too small or way too big.